ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/18 College & Draft Thread - Trini Birthday Edition! (Pt 4)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knicks pick OUTSIDE top 4 (Bags, Doncic, Ayton, Bamba off board)

Mikal Bridges
24%
Miles Bridges
8%
Michael Porter Jr
29%
Trae Young
3%
Jaren Jackson Jr
24%
Kevin Knox
2%
Wendell Carter
5%
Colin Sexton
3%
Robert Williams
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 63

IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Re: 2017/18 College & Draft Thread - Trini Birthday Edition! (Pt 4) 

Post#1901 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:56 pm

I remember Cal came out last week or something and said that He Failed this team...So I respect that he is aware of that. He might change his ways. Stuff like this causes you to go back to the drawing board.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1902 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:03 pm

HEZI wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
But that's been my gripe about Cal. Sure he's great at preparing players for the pros by knowing how to deal with their personalities especially young freshman kids, I got no issue with that. He's more of a character builder that's really where his rep is but when it comes to actual coaching he's nothing special and has his flaws.

What bothers me with him labeling himself as basically THE guy to play for if you want to become a pro is, as you've already said, he's doing nothing more than just getting high recruits (who would do well anywhere) and getting them drafted. That's really it. The character builder I guess is true? Honestly, who knows.

IF he thought this through just a little bit better, he'd focus more on skill development. If he were to give every incoming freshman a list of things they need to work on, and dedicate ___ minutes at each practice for each player to work on their deficiencies, the team players better because they'd be more skilled, he'd be a better developmental coach, AND the guys could go higher in the draft.

I'd argue his actual coaching is subpar considering the talent level he's gotten...and his recruiting / vision is a little out of whack, considering every team of his that does poorly has no shooters. You'd think he learned by now...

Thank you! You hit the nail on the head. His team right now is so flawed and a lot of it is his fault. There is no continuity with his teams, his teams go through MAJOR overhauls once his entire freshman crop decides to declare for the draft and he has to rely on a new group every year. Where are the seniors? The leaders? They have none right now. SGA is their best leader and he's a freshman who wasn't even a highly recruited player to begin with, thats why his team has looked so bad this year. I give more props to a guy like Jay Wright, look what he's turned his team into. Best team in the nation, Jalen Brunson might win NPOTY, Mikal Bridges was a super raw freshman but he got him to come back into his 3rd season and actually developed him into something. I got so much respect for that Nova program, to me they are like the standard right now, they're the San Antonio Spurs of the NCAA. Cal and his Kentucky program just looks like fluff to me

Yah, it's why I never considered Cal a good coach but instead a good recruiter. Coach K, Izzo, Wright (who is my #1 coaching target, however unlikely it is), Shaka, Marshall, and Bennett are the top coaches in college IMO. Those guys get more out of their players than any other coach in college basketball (Coach K maybe not as much as the others, but still think he's great).

*In slightly related news, the blog is coming back within the next couple of weeks. Depending on how much access I get with Synergy, it should be more focused on college (and player development in general) and maybe some DX style videos.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1903 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:05 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:I remember Cal came out last week or something and said that He Failed this team...So I respect that he is aware of that. He might change his ways. Stuff like this causes you to go back to the drawing board.

Didn't he say something similar during Noel's year?
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1904 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:I remember Cal came out last week or something and said that He Failed this team...So I respect that he is aware of that. He might change his ways. Stuff like this causes you to go back to the drawing board.

Didn't he say something similar during Noel's year?

I don't know. Maybe he fronting.... and says this all time. It was my first time seeing him said he failed a UK team like this.

“I haven’t built enough trust where when I talk to them, [they think], ‘I’m going to do what this man says.’ They’re not that,” John Calipari said Wednesday night at Auburn, where an impressive start had disintegrated into another unfocused, undisciplined finish. “I don’t know if it’s outside stuff, but I told them I failed them. But they also failed each other because they don’t play for each other.”

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-uk-basketball-calipar-failed-cats-players-say-their-fault
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,385

Post#1905 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:22 pm

big matchup today

darius perry vs wendell carter tonight :o :o
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1906 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:29 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:big matchup today

3.4/1.1/1.6

34%FG

well damn...

WTH did you see in him...
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1907 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:34 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:big matchup today

3.4/1.1/1.6

34%FG

well damn...

WTH did you see in him...

give him 2 years and you will see why i was high on him. he gonna be a late bloomer
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#1908 » by F N 11 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:40 pm

Cuban fined 600k for admitting to telling team tanking is best option.

CEO of the not trading RJ club.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1909 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:46 pm

K P 6 wrote:Cuban fined 600k for admitting to telling team tanking is best option.

Its not a good look for the league him doing that. They had no choice. I mean its stupid he would be so open about it.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#1910 » by F N 11 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:51 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
K P 6 wrote:Cuban fined 600k for admitting to telling team tanking is best option.

Its not a good look for the league him doing that. They had no choice. I mean its stupid he would be so open about it.

Mad dumb!! Who is going to want to play there now?
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#1911 » by Worst_to_First » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:05 pm

A heavier punishment would have been stripping the Mavs of their 2018 1st round pick.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1912 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:12 pm

K P 6 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

Mad dumb!! Who is going to want to play there now?

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,579

Post#1913 » by mpharris36 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:22 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:

the biggest issue was the statement he told his players. It's one thing if you tell the coach or the front office that our best option is to put a roster out there that is about the future and we will sacrifice wins for it now. But having a heart to heart with players about losing games being better for the team, that is a horrible look for the leagues competitiveness. All you need is a mavs player to miss a FT late to lose a game and the conspiracy theories will be out regardless of if he did it on purpose or not. The league can't have that.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1914 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:26 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

the biggest issue was the statement he told his players. It's one thing if you tell the coach or the front office that our best option is to put a roster out there that is about the future and we will sacrifice wins for it now. But having a heart to heart with players about losing games being better for the team, that is a horrible look for the leagues competitiveness. All you need is a mavs player to miss a FT late to lose a game and the conspiracy theories will be out regardless of if he did it on purpose or not. The league can't have that.

i wonder if teams secretly have meetings with their players about tanking. i wouldn't be surprised tbh. cuban is just a dumb ass for putting out in the open to everyone.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1915 » by IllmaticHandler » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:28 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

agreed its basically telling the players to throw games. It's really amazing how foolish he was here in doing this. This is the worst thing possible for team morale...and a slap to Dirk...
RealGM
And1: 39,213

Post#1916 » by 2010 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:29 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
What bothers me with him labeling himself as basically THE guy to play for if you want to become a pro is, as you've already said, he's doing nothing more than just getting high recruits (who would do well anywhere) and getting them drafted. That's really it. The character builder I guess is true? Honestly, who knows.

IF he thought this through just a little bit better, he'd focus more on skill development. If he were to give every incoming freshman a list of things they need to work on, and dedicate ___ minutes at each practice for each player to work on their deficiencies, the team players better because they'd be more skilled, he'd be a better developmental coach, AND the guys could go higher in the draft.

I'd argue his actual coaching is subpar considering the talent level he's gotten...and his recruiting / vision is a little out of whack, considering every team of his that does poorly has no shooters. You'd think he learned by now...

Thank you! You hit the nail on the head. His team right now is so flawed and a lot of it is his fault. There is no continuity with his teams, his teams go through MAJOR overhauls once his entire freshman crop decides to declare for the draft and he has to rely on a new group every year. Where are the seniors? The leaders? They have none right now. SGA is their best leader and he's a freshman who wasn't even a highly recruited player to begin with, thats why his team has looked so bad this year. I give more props to a guy like Jay Wright, look what he's turned his team into. Best team in the nation, Jalen Brunson might win NPOTY, Mikal Bridges was a super raw freshman but he got him to come back into his 3rd season and actually developed him into something. I got so much respect for that Nova program, to me they are like the standard right now, they're the San Antonio Spurs of the NCAA. Cal and his Kentucky program just looks like fluff to me

Yah, it's why I never considered Cal a good coach but instead a good recruiter. Coach K, Izzo, Wright (who is my #1 coaching target, however unlikely it is), Shaka, Marshall, and Bennett are the top coaches in college IMO. Those guys get more out of their players than any other coach in college basketball (Coach K maybe not as much as the others, but still think he's great).

*In slightly related news, the blog is coming back within the next couple of weeks. Depending on how much access I get with Synergy, it should be more focused on college (and player development in general) and maybe some DX style videos.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,579

Post#1917 » by mpharris36 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:29 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

i wonder if teams secretly have meetings with their players about tanking. i wouldn't be surprised tbh. cuban is just a dumb ass for putting out in the open to everyone.

would a player listen though? Outside of DSjr and maybe Harrison Barnes because of his contract and dirk because of his GOAT status on the team? Most of there players are fringe NBA players who are playing for there next contract. I would have a hard time Yogi Ferrell or Doug McDermott would play bad to lose games for Dallas when there next contract is not guaranteed. They are trying to stay in the league...
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,308

Post#1918 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:31 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

agreed its basically telling the players to throw games. It's really amazing how foolish he was here in doing this. This is the worst thing possible for team morale...and a slap to Dirk...

Yep...and these mfers in the lottery!! THIS IS TANKING!!! TAKE THE PICK AWAY!!! 600K is peanuts!! Slap on the wrist.
:beer: RIP mags
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#1919 » by magnumt » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:34 pm

K-DOT wrote:
magnumt wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:Two years ago around this time it felt like okafor was destined to be a Knick. I wanted Towns but okafor felt like the destiny. Then the lakers leapfrogged us and we were lucky enough to land Kp.

I was wrong.

Last year this time it felt like frank was the destiny. I wanted fox but it felt like frank. I was right obviously.

This year I want Ayton or Doncic or even porter but it feels destined to be Bridges. Clearly.

Anyone else feel similarly?

It depends on where we pick (and it's still too early). But, I really want:

• Doncic
    • Bagley
    Young
    • MILES Bridges

--Mags :beer:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/trae-young-1/gamelog/2018#20180116-20180219-sum:gamelog

They're my opinions dude. So yeah... :lol:

But, the reality of the situation is that once we traded for Mudiay, Young went out the window (because we'd have Mudiay, Ntilikina, and Burke).

I still am adamant that I like Miles over Mikal tho.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,857

Post#1920 » by Spree2Houston » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:Do people here have the patience if Perry and Mills draft another project like Ntilikina?

I think they have their eyes set on 2019/2020 free agency summers so I don't see them taking a raw player that will take a few yrs to develop but rather they'll take the more ready-made player.

Return to New York Knicks