ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/18 College & Draft Thread - Trini Birthday Edition! (Pt 4)

Knicks pick OUTSIDE top 4 (Bags, Doncic, Ayton, Bamba off board)

Mikal Bridges
24%
Miles Bridges
8%
Michael Porter Jr
29%
Trae Young
3%
Jaren Jackson Jr
24%
Kevin Knox
2%
Wendell Carter
5%
Colin Sexton
3%
Robert Williams
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 63

Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Re: 2017/18 College & Draft Thread - Trini Birthday Edition! (Pt 4) 

Post#621 » by Mecca » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:41 pm

Da_Mane_Man wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Black Panther coming out this week. I’m pumped. I’d say Justice League too, but you (and Remi) know how I feel about it given how much I tweet about it. Release the Snyder cut. :lol: :banghead:

Also, NFL combine soon!

Haha, excited for BP. That'll contain my restlessness for a few hours. And yeah you don't gotta even tell me based on your tweets. :lol:

Can't wait for combine and March Madness fam. It's better than Christmas. I'm praying you guys take Josh Allen so we won't haha

Yo I want in on all this sports/media talk. What are your twitter handles?

I’ll PM you. I’ll warn you I speak mostly hip hop w sports mixed in haha
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#622 » by whocares1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Easily Bags KP. Jackson shouldn't be mentioned with the other three either, IMO. In order of fit / pairing, I'd say Bags is first then Bamba then Ayton.

You're probably right but that frontcourt defense will be bad.

What? :-? KP/Bags or KP/Bamba would be fantastic defensively.

KP + Bamba yes. Bags + KP probably not.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#623 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:53 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
You're probably right but that frontcourt defense will be bad.

That’s just wrong, but ok.
whocares1
General Manager

Post#624 » by whocares1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:55 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

I don't see high defensive potential in Bagley from what I've seen. He looks like a 4.5 and not either a 4 or 5, but haven't seen enough basketball yet.

Who's your favorite wing prospect?

Bridges?
Bridges?
Knox?
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#625 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:57 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

I don't see high defensive potential in Bagley from what I've seen. He looks like a 4.5 and not either a 4 or 5, but haven't seen enough basketball yet.

Bridges?
Bridges?
Knox?

Really? The motor, quick feet and active hands, ability to get out and cover perimeter players or hedge and recover, great rebounding?

Mikal, Miles just below, then knox for me. Knox is well below the other two, though.
whocares1
General Manager

Post#626 » by whocares1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Bridges?
Bridges?
Knox?

Really? The motor, quick feet and active hands, ability to get out and cover perimeter players or hedge and recover, great rebounding?

Mikal, Miles just below, then knox for me. Knox is well below the other two, though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2017/12/18/16790032/marvin-bagley-2018-nba-draft-position

Just found this article. Kind of agree from what I've seen.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#627 » by HEZI » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:13 pm

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:& Lonnie is only 19 yall talking like he cant improve :lol: 6'4, 6'5 whatever 6'10 wingspan yall slept on my guy mitchell too and what happened. I dont think anyone is calling him a top pick not even top 10 but in the late lottery or mid teens he'd be a solid pick up in this draft.

Cmon bro, Mitchell was a different type of talent. His athleticism was NBA elite level, his ability to change gears and change direction was NBA elite level, his ability to create space with the dribble was NBA elite level, his jumper was money. I see the jumper in Lonnie, ok that's cool but none of his other abilities are NBA elite level abilities.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#628 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:17 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

Bridges?
Bridges?
Knox?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nba/2017/12/18/16790032/marvin-bagley-2018-nba-draft-position

He doesn’t need a position though. He’s a big. Him being stuck between the 4 and 5 isn’t an issue for someone with his skill set and mobility.
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,600

Post#629 » by El Poochio » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

Bridges?
Bridges?
Knox?

Omg I wanted MBIII for my sister team Memphis too so so perfect, one more season as the Hobo Spurs with Conley - MBIII - Gasol before Conley Gasol pass the torch fully to him

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#630 » by Da_Mane_Man » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:30 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

He doesn’t need a position though. He’s a big. Him being stuck between the 4 and 5 isn’t an issue for someone with his skill set and mobility.

Well it is when you read the article. He's a big that can't defend the rim (which is what a 6 in today's NBA should do). And he's also a big that can't hit 3's (which is what a 4 in today's NBA should do).
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,266

Post#631 » by DOT » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:34 pm

Da_Mane_Man wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Well it is when you read the article. He's a big that can't defend the rim (which is what a 6 in today's NBA should do). And he's also a big that can't hit 3's (which is what a 4 in today's NBA should do).

Luckily, we have a big that can defend the rim and shoot 3s.

Bagley is a much better perimiter defender than KP (especially after his ACL tear), and you can play KP as the outside big on offense. Plus, it's not completely out of the possibility for Bagley to become a better shooter, buncha bigs that ain't shoot before are now good at it
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#632 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 pm

Da_Mane_Man wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Well it’s not when you watch the games. He’s not asked to take threes, similar to how Kat/AD weren’t with KY - and it’s something he can easily improve. He’s also guarding the perimeter more than the paint because of his versatility and teams going small, which explains partially the low block #s. I’m not worried at all. I know what I see.
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#633 » by Da_Mane_Man » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Da_Mane_Man wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Well it’s not when you watch the games. He’s not asked to take threes, similar to how Kat/AD weren’t with KY - and it’s something he can easily improve. He’s also guarding the perimeter more than the paint because of his versatility and teams going small, which explains partially the low block #s. I’m not worried at all. I know what I see.

The article addresses that and basically says that it's unknown if he can easily improve those things ... which is a big risk to take inside the top 3.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#634 » by Fat » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:09 pm

HEZI wrote:
Nyk_Fatboy wrote:& Lonnie is only 19 yall talking like he cant improve :lol: 6'4, 6'5 whatever 6'10 wingspan yall slept on my guy mitchell too and what happened. I dont think anyone is calling him a top pick not even top 10 but in the late lottery or mid teens he'd be a solid pick up in this draft.

Cmon bro, Mitchell was a different type of talent. His athleticism was NBA elite level, his ability to change gears and change direction was NBA elite level, his ability to create space with the dribble was NBA elite level, his jumper was money. I see the jumper in Lonnie, ok that's cool but none of his other abilities are NBA elite level abilities.

All this is true minus the jumper was money. Mitchell was never money in college and still isnt money in the NBA he can catch fire he never had a pure jumper.

Im not saying lonnie will be donovan mitchell he wont be, Mitch is clearly on a different athleticism level. im saying think he's a little underrated and could be a steal. Having elite attributes is what takes them down the path to all-star level but it wont hinder you from being a solid NBA player. what is Bambas elite attribute besides defense? he doesnt have any but he has potential on his side and is young.

Lonnies strongest assets right now is his shooting ability and Defense. That doesnt mean thats all he will be he's shown more than just being a 3D player thats been thrown around. When bruce brown went down with his injury Lonnie took his game to the next level and has steadily gotten better and better.

He has the ability to be an explosive leaper / Quick first steap
Body control as a slasher can finish with either hand and make mid air adjustments
Flashes pick and roll IQ
elite speed and range closing out on shooters
Not an Advanced dribbler but at least has a basic handle and crossover for now

3D is a worst case scenario he has more upside than that as a prospect and he's rising into the late lottery zone in draft boards which i think is a fair range for him.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#635 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:09 pm

Da_Mane_Man wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Da_Mane_Man wrote:

The article addresses that and basically says that it's unknown if he can easily improve those things ... which is a big risk to take inside the top 3.

I disagree saying it’s an unknown. 100% disagree.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#636 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:13 pm

Unicorn big men who can shoot 3s and block shots are becoming more common, and Bagley could thrive next to someone like Kristaps Porzingis. However, so could a 6-foot-8 point forward like Luka Doncic, a 6-foot-10 wing like Michael Porter Jr., or a dominant shot-blocker like Bamba. Most of the other options at the top of this year’s draft offer more lineup versatility than Bagley. The choice depends on the type of team you want to build.

if were lucky enough to have a chance at him we should take him

I see the value of Doncic over him but I think he pairs nicely with KP in the way that Kanter has
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,312

Post#637 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:31 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Da_Mane_Man wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Bagley is like some kind of "Honey I Shrunk Embiid" kind of player. He just looks fluid and comfortable from all over, just at a smaller, more "4ish" size.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,312

Post#638 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:37 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Unicorn big men who can shoot 3s and block shots are becoming more common, and Bagley could thrive next to someone like Kristaps Porzingis. However, so could a 6-foot-8 point forward like Luka Doncic, a 6-foot-10 wing like Michael Porter Jr., or a dominant shot-blocker like Bamba. Most of the other options at the top of this year’s draft offer more lineup versatility than Bagley. The choice depends on the type of team you want to build.

if were lucky enough to have a chance at him we should take him

I see the value of Doncic over him but I think he pairs nicely with KP in the way that Kanter has

For all the heat KP takes on here, the fact that he can play both the 4 and the 5 and is pretty good shooter for either position enables extra flexibility in any draft - at least in terms of drafting a 4 or a 5. Obviously some guys are better fits than others next to him, but point remains. It's why point forwards are always coveted. It's having a player that solves 2, and possibly 3 positions - 1,3 and skills of a 2 depending on how the guy plays. So then it makes it easier to find players to plug in at 1,2 or 3.

Why I always think the "triangle PG" narrative is dumb. It was always more that if you have Pippen/MJ or Kobe/Odom, then a traditional PG is lower on the list of players to get. I'm sure if a star PG presented itself to any of those teams, they'd plug him in, but with 2 guys already capable of passing and breaking down the D, it becomes a lower priority and you plug in a shooter and address it later, or never.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#639 » by HEZI » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:46 pm

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:
HEZI wrote:

All this is true minus the jumper was money. Mitchell was never money in college and still isnt money in the NBA he can catch fire he never had a pure jumper.

Im not saying lonnie will be donovan mitchell he wont be, Mitch is clearly on a different athleticism level. im saying think he's a little underrated and could be a steal. Having elite attributes is what takes them down the path to all-star level but it wont hinder you from being a solid NBA player. what is Bambas elite attribute besides defense? he doesnt have any but he has potential on his side and is young.

Lonnies strongest assets right now is his shooting ability and Defense. That doesnt mean thats all he will be he's shown more than just being a 3D player thats been thrown around. When bruce brown went down with his injury Lonnie took his game to the next level and has steadily gotten better and better.

He has the ability to be an explosive leaper / Quick first steap
Body control as a slasher can finish with either hand and make mid air adjustments
Flashes pick and roll IQ
elite speed and range closing out on shooters
Not an Advanced dribbler but at least has a basic handle and crossover for now

3D is a worst case scenario he has more upside than that as a prospect and he's rising into the late lottery zone in draft boards which i think is a fair range for him.

Mitchell's jumper always reminded me of Dame Lillard and he's pretty damn close to it right now in terms of accuracy.

I hear what you're saying about Lonnie though, I'm gonna try to pay a little more attention to him over the next few weeks. Maybe I'm just missing out on some of the things he brings to the table. I know they got a game tonight so I'll try to catch some of it but I really wanna watch that Cavs OKC game too so hopefully no overtime there
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,318

Post#640 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:48 pm

Calling all people actually following draft stuff already...

Any wings (preferably plus defenders) in 30-45 range worth taking a flyer on?

Return to New York Knicks