ImageImageImageImageImage

BROTHER: Emmanuel Mudiay's development would have went different if he played for Larry Brown at SMU instead of China

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

RealGM
And1: 39,071

BROTHER: Emmanuel Mudiay's development would have went different if he played for Larry Brown at SMU instead of China 

Post#1 » by 2010 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:51 pm

It’s the family’s biggest regret.

Jean-Micheal Mudiay said he believes younger brother Emmanuel’s career would look differently had he attended SMU and learned under Larry Brown for a season instead of going to China to play professionally after high school.

“He’s on cloud nine right now,” Jean-Micheal told The Post in a phone interview from Dallas.

Jean-Micheal, who serves as Mudiay’s manager, played for Brown at SMU from 2013-2015 but never was as gifted as his 21-year-old brother.

“Had he played one year with Larry Brown, no doubt in my mind he would’ve been the No. 1 pick in the draft based on his talent,” said Jean-Micheal, who is 26. “He would’ve learned how to play the game of basketball. I know what he would’ve learned. After playing for Larry, I questioned every other coach I ever had in the past. I learned the actual game.

“So he didn’t have college basketball, didn’t get to play for Larry, and he’s been playing off athleticism his whole time.”

This isn’t meant as a knock on Nuggets coach Michael Malone, but now, Jean-Micheal said he senses Mudiay is in a place where the coaches and management believe in him. Mudiay was a starter his rookie year in Denver, then in and out of the rotation for parts of his second and third seasons.

“I think it’s going to be great for him,’’ Jean-Micheal said. “If he went to New York his rookie year, I don’t know how it would’ve went. I know he’s ready for it now. He’s excited to get the opportunity to play and feel wanted somewhere. I think he’s prepared for this stage. He puts in the work.

“The change of scenery will help him out a lot because he needed somebody who will believe in him and groom him to be the player he is going to be. But the adversity [in Denver] was good for him.”

It was surprising Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek rolled with Mudiay for 29 minutes in Sunday’s loss in Indiana after he had not practiced with the team. Mudiay seemed to tire toward the end after a whirlwind week and being unaccustomed to playing heavy minutes.

But he thrived, whipping some clever passes and snaking in for a couple of dunks and one circus shot that showed his body control. On a drive, Mudiay flipped the ball in the air as he crashed to the court. Hornacek raved afterward about Mudiay’s court sense and his chemistry with fellow point guard Frank Ntilikina.

“It’s his feel for the game,” Jean-Micheal said. “Court vision. He doesn’t get fed up. Nothing really gets to him, doesn’t get too high or low.”

The way Jean-Micheal tells it, Mudiay’s acceptance to SMU got held up by the NCAA because of accreditation issues with his troubled Dallas high school, Prime Prep Academy. By the time the NCAA cleared him, Jean-Micheal said his brother would have been ineligible for the first 17 games. The decision was made to play for Guangdong in China, where he hurt his ankle after just 10 contests.

“He did learn outside of basketball some life experiences from it, but not much as far as basketball goes,” Jean-Micheal said. “If he played all the games in China, he would’ve learned a lot more, but 10 games wasn’t enough.’’

Mudiay also had ankle issues his first two seasons in Denver, missing 14 games as a rookie. But Mudiay finished the last two months of his rookie campaign averaging 18 points and five assists and earned second-team All-Rookie honors.

In his second season, after going down with an ankle sprain, Mudiay returned and not only lost his starting job to veteran Jameer Nelson but found he was out of the rotation. The Nuggets now roll this season with Jamal Murray as starter — their 2016 lottery pick. The Nuggets had been shopping Mudiay since draft night in June.

“Him and Malone, I know they spoke often and had dialogue on what he needed to work on, like his shot selection,” Jean-Micheal said. “They didn’t have any rift. Malone did what he thought was best for the team. But I thought [Emmanuel] did work on his shot selection and different finishes at the rim.

Jean-Micheal is headed to New York this week to find his brother a place in Westchester during the All-Star break, close to the Tarrytown practice site. It will be a far cry from Denver, where Mudiay owned a loft across the street from the Pepsi Center. He’ll gladly take the longer commute.

“It was time for a new start,” Jean-Micheal said.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/12/knicks-can-revive-potential-emmanuel-mudiay-lost-in-china-brother/

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,868

Re: BROTHER: Emmanuel Mudiay's development would have went different if he played for Larry Brown at SMU instead of Chin 

Post#2 » by GONYK » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Larry Brown would have definitely molded Mudiay into a more savvy PG.

The man is a snake, but he knows the PG position inside out.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,948

Re: BROTHER: Emmanuel Mudiay's development would have went different if he played for Larry Brown at SMU instead of Chin 

Post#3 » by Manhattan Project » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:57 pm

IIRC he wanted to go to China because it presented a bigger challenge than College would've. I remember the rumors that he didn't qualify academically and that's why he actually went overseas. I remember everyone posting the matchup against Marbury and people were getting hype.

Look what fan doesn't love rolling the dice on a former lottery pick? Considering what we gave up, it was a risk that you couldn't pass up. It's cliche to say, but sometimes a change of scenery is all that's needed for something to click for a young player, hopefully it works wonders for Mudiay.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,063

Post#4 » by TrueWarrior » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:59 pm

I have no doubt Manny would be a better PG if he went to SMU, but how is he so bad at finishing at the rim? We all thought that'd be his biggest strength, with his obvious size and athleticism.

He started 4/6 yesterday, then ended 5/14. He looks like he just goes into the paint and throws a prayer up. Weird.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#5 » by Thugger HBC » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:00 am

I doubt he's be one and done under LB too.

Random thought...Chauncey Billups would be perfect to mentor our two young guards.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#6 » by MP4LIFE » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:01 am

This guy Janis part 2?

Sounds like a smarter, less egotistical version of Janis, though. Hopefully Emanuel listens to him.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#7 » by Sark » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:02 am

And now he has to play for Hornacek.
RIP.
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,444

Post#8 » by Context » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:09 am

2010 wrote:

Jean-Micheal Mudiay said he believes younger brother Emmanuel’s career would look differently had he attended SMU and learned under Larry Brown for a season instead of going to China to play professionally after high school.

“He’s on cloud nine right now,” Jean-Micheal told The Post in a phone interview from Dallas.

Jean-Micheal, who serves as Mudiay’s manager, played for Brown at SMU from 2013-2015 but never was as gifted as his 21-year-old brother.

“Had he played one year with Larry Brown, no doubt in my mind he would’ve been the No. 1 pick in the draft based on his talent,” said Jean-Micheal, who is 26. “He would’ve learned how to play the game of basketball. I know what he would’ve learned. After playing for Larry, I questioned every other coach I ever had in the past. I learned the actual game.

“So he didn’t have college basketball, didn’t get to play for Larry, and he’s been playing off athleticism his whole time.”

This isn’t meant as a knock on Nuggets coach Michael Malone, but now, Jean-Micheal said he senses Mudiay is in a place where the coaches and management believe in him. Mudiay was a starter his rookie year in Denver, then in and out of the rotation for parts of his second and third seasons.

“I think it’s going to be great for him,’’ Jean-Micheal said. “If he went to New York his rookie year, I don’t know how it would’ve went. I know he’s ready for it now. He’s excited to get the opportunity to play and feel wanted somewhere. I think he’s prepared for this stage. He puts in the work.

“The change of scenery will help him out a lot because he needed somebody who will believe in him and groom him to be the player he is going to be. But the adversity [in Denver] was good for him.”

It was surprising Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek rolled with Mudiay for 29 minutes in Sunday’s loss in Indiana after he had not practiced with the team. Mudiay seemed to tire toward the end after a whirlwind week and being unaccustomed to playing heavy minutes.

But he thrived, whipping some clever passes and snaking in for a couple of dunks and one circus shot that showed his body control. On a drive, Mudiay flipped the ball in the air as he crashed to the court. Hornacek raved afterward about Mudiay’s court sense and his chemistry with fellow point guard Frank Ntilikina.

“It’s his feel for the game,” Jean-Micheal said. “Court vision. He doesn’t get fed up. Nothing really gets to him, doesn’t get too high or low.”

The way Jean-Micheal tells it, Mudiay’s acceptance to SMU got held up by the NCAA because of accreditation issues with his troubled Dallas high school, Prime Prep Academy. By the time the NCAA cleared him, Jean-Micheal said his brother would have been ineligible for the first 17 games. The decision was made to play for Guangdong in China, where he hurt his ankle after just 10 contests.

“He did learn outside of basketball some life experiences from it, but not much as far as basketball goes,” Jean-Micheal said. “If he played all the games in China, he would’ve learned a lot more, but 10 games wasn’t enough.’’

Mudiay also had ankle issues his first two seasons in Denver, missing 14 games as a rookie. But Mudiay finished the last two months of his rookie campaign averaging 18 points and five assists and earned second-team All-Rookie honors.

In his second season, after going down with an ankle sprain, Mudiay returned and not only lost his starting job to veteran Jameer Nelson but found he was out of the rotation. The Nuggets now roll this season with Jamal Murray as starter — their 2016 lottery pick. The Nuggets had been shopping Mudiay since draft night in June.

“Him and Malone, I know they spoke often and had dialogue on what he needed to work on, like his shot selection,” Jean-Micheal said. “They didn’t have any rift. Malone did what he thought was best for the team. But I thought [Emmanuel] did work on his shot selection and different finishes at the rim.

Jean-Micheal is headed to New York this week to find his brother a place in Westchester during the All-Star break, close to the Tarrytown practice site. It will be a far cry from Denver, where Mudiay owned a loft across the street from the Pepsi Center. He’ll gladly take the longer commute.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/12/knicks-can-revive-potential-emmanuel-mudiay-lost-in-china-brother/

This is right alone the line of what I picked up on; regardless of my brief attention to Mudiay's situation...Precisely why I felt that
Mudiay's arrival could take our tank of course...I just hope that if we do see a rush it's just a situation where we lose by a point or so in games like these...anyway- great post 2010...
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
RealGM
And1: 39,071

Post#9 » by 2010 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 am

Context wrote:
2010 wrote:

This is right alone the line of what I picked up on; regardless of my brief attention to Mudiay's situation...Precisely why I felt that
Mudiay's arrival could take our tank of course...I just hope that if we do see a rush it's just a situation where we lose by a point or so in games like these...anyway- great post 2010...

Thanks bruh. But nah, the tank is safe. We are very bad and poorly coached. Mudiay's sheer talent or increased confidence from being in a situation of feeling wanted and free reign to play to his strengths won't be enough to win us games. I would not be surprised if we only won 3 more games max the rest of the season.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#10 » by Phish Tank » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:20 am

i thought the reason he went to China was to provide support to his family or something.
Context
RealGM
And1: 11,444

Post#11 » by Context » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:26 am

2010 wrote:
Context wrote:

Thanks bruh. But nah, the tank is safe. We are very bad and poorly coached. Mudiay's sheer talent or increased confidence from being in a situation of feeling wanted and free reign to play to his strengths won't be enough to win us games. I would not be surprised if we only won 3 more games max the rest of the season.

yeah before the Mudiay acquisition I predicted 3 as well...hopefully we're right...
Spoiler:
"Against All Odds" "The Watch"
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#12 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:41 am

Context wrote:
2010 wrote:
Context wrote:

yeah before the Mudiay acquisition I predicted 3 as well...hopefully we're right...

Unless Timmy gets back to playing the way he was before getting hurt...Mudiay isn't going to move the needle. We were losing with KP before Mud got here. I think the tank is safe.
:beer: RIP mags
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#13 » by Da_Mane_Man » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:49 am

This is interesting. So the year in China was essentially a waste. In basketball terms he's in his 3rd year out of high school right now. I'm not sure how good they are at developing players in Denver, but seeing as how they haven't done much with players since the Melo trade, I'm gonna say they're not excellent at it.

The question is, are we any good at it? Time will tell. I certainly think Jeff knows the PG position well enough. He played alongside one of the best of all time.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,957

Post#14 » by Capn'O » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:05 am

MP4LIFE wrote:This guy Janis part 2?

Sounds like a smarter, less egotistical version of Janis, though. Hopefully Emanuel listens to him.

That was my second thought. First thought being that he's probably right.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#15 » by kane2021 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:06 am

It’s my understanding he came up very poor. His father died when he was young. All they had to eat was what his mother could grow. His country was at war and they defected. He started playing ball late in life and was a natural athlete.

That’s the story I’ve heard. I don’t know much about what his family went through here in the states. If he continued to be poor I’d assume he went to China to make money to help his family.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#16 » by SportsGuy8 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:22 am

I really don't think you can teach the so-called "basketball IQ" nearly as much as people think. It's almost as natural, genetical as athleticism is. Sure you can improve on it, train it ... but there's a limit.

Everyone (teams, coaches, fans ...) always think there's hope with these "high potential" players and that one day a player is going to go EUREKA, "get it", and become a smarter player. In reality that almost never happens, we only see minor improvements that come with players getting slightly wiser with each year.

Mudiay just isn't one of the players that's EVER going to be a smart player. He's going to remain an inefficient chucker, sadly. His career TS% is barely above 46, for **** sake. :) Even RUBIO's is over 50 and he's one of the worst shooters/scorers EVER. Think about that. :D

Don't get your hopes up too much. Actually, don't get your hopes up AT ALL. The only reason why Mudiay is still in the league is because of FALSE HOPE.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,351

Post#17 » by F N 11 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:29 am

Well Jeff ain’t gunna do much for him. So
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Newyorknick94
Head Coach
And1: 2,518

Post#18 » by Newyorknick94 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 am

kane2021 wrote:It’s my understanding he came up very poor. His father died when he was young. All they had to eat was what his mother could grow. His country was at war and they defected. He started playing ball late in life and was a natural athlete.

That’s the story I’ve heard. I don’t know much about what his family went through here in the states. If he continued to be poor I’d assume he went to China to make money to help his family.

That’s ntilikina no?
Legends BAT
G - Penny Hardaway/Mike Bibby
G - Gilbert Arenas / Monta Ellis
F - Julius Erving/John Starks
F - Chris bosh/Danny Granger
C - Dikembe Mutombo
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#19 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:08 am

Emmanual Mudiay once said, during an interview...that his mom worked so hard to keep a roof over their heads that the opportunity to make money and play overseas vs having her help him in college influenced his decision to bring home a paycheque to give to his mom sooner rather than later. It's a decision ANY young man would have difficulty making. Even IF you have a college scholarship, um that doesn't include living expenses, books, and um food. Heaven forbid you want to go out for a night on the town.

I paid my way through college because my parents couldn't afford to. I respect ANY person who has to agonize over that decision. Naw, I will NEVER criticize Mudiay's decision to make money. I'm sorry. Money > Education.

Thugger HBC wrote:I doubt he's be one and done under LB too.

Random thought...Chauncey Billups would be perfect to mentor our two young guards.

IF the Knicks weren't so stupid to burn their bridges with Chauncey, that would be a PERFECT fit. The size and length of both Mudiay and Ntilikina would be perfect frame to learn how Billups used to post up on opposing guards, bullying them and opening up cutting lanes and causing all kinds of havoc.

Gawd, I HATE the Knicks front office. A bunch of clowns. :nonono:
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#20 » by kane2021 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:12 am

Newyorknick94 wrote:
kane2021 wrote:It’s my understanding he came up very poor. His father died when he was young. All they had to eat was what his mother could grow. His country was at war and they defected. He started playing ball late in life and was a natural athlete.

That’s ntilikina no?

That’s the story I heard about mudiay.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.

Return to New York Knicks