ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Black Panther (2018) This Week The King Returns!!!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Re: OT: Black Panther (2018) This Week The King Returns!!! 

Post#141 » by Shemy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:48 pm

saw it last night thought it was pretty good, not entirely sure it cracks my top 5 of the MCU movies though

Winter Soldier, Civil War, Ragnarok, Avengers, Iron Man

Michael B Jordan certainly dont think hes as good as people are making his performance to be hes just like all the other one dimensional villains in the MCU universe..I saw one review say he was the best villain since joker in TDK :lol: honestly felt Klaue was more memorable than kilmonger
"They scared now"
Handledatruth
Head Coach
And1: 1,719

Post#142 » by Handledatruth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:18 pm

Shemy wrote:saw it last night thought it was pretty good, not entirely sure it cracks my top 5 of the MCU movies though

Michael B Jordan certainly dont think hes as good as people are making his performance to be hes just like all the other one dimensional villains in the MCU universe..I saw one review say he was the best villain since joker in TDK :lol: honestly felt Klaue was more memorable than kilmonger

Ignoring the fact that your comment on Klaue contradicts your statement about 1 dimensional villians, it is a fact that the MCU suffers from not so interesting villains (I'll put aside Ragnarok since I did not get a chance to see it). Ultron ended up being anti-climatic, Hydra is corny, and its hard to pinpoint anything memorable about the villain in Civil War besides the unconvincing motivation behind him manipulating Bucky. So really, that leaves you with Loki as the most interesting villain in the MCU until Killmonger. Killmonger had depth(meaning they took the time to explain his strengths), an origin story, a motive that could be understood, and a like-able swag. Not sure what else you can ask for in a villain. Klaue had like-able swag and that is it. Really the draw to most MCU movies is to see the heroes in action and their interactions with throwaway villians. That was until Black Panther came along. Thus the comparison to TDK Joker. Of course Infinity Wars can change this convo if Thanos nails it.
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,313

Post#143 » by rajajackal » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:33 pm

killmonger the character was amazing, but MBJ's performance is being overrated

also this movie was, on its merits as a film, the best marvel studios movie of all time
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#144 » by Nazrmohamed » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:40 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:I thought Black Panther and Wonder Woman were amazing but for totally different reasons....

Wonder Woman is an amazing achievement because the costume doesn't make any sense, origin story, and previously this is the BEST the world had to offer before director Patty Jenkins:

That's about as good it's going to get for female superhero leads let me re-emphasize that Female Superhero MOVIE Leads NOT co-stars for the next 41 years. Wonder woman actually tailored for females. The story is about dishonesty. Everyone lies to Diana including her own mother!

It's about realizing that life is not an "objective based" reality.

People forget the FIRST tolerable Marvel movie was Blade (1998). There was the unreleased Fantastic Four film (1994) by Oley Sassone, Captain America (1990), and the Punisher with Dolph Lundgren.

Hmmmm..red, white, and awful. :lol:

People need to stop politicizing films, comic books, and everything NOT related to donating to the poor, treating your coworker better, etc. Just enjoy the entertainment value. Being angry, saying something else sucks, etc...not going to pay your bills, put your kids through college. If I was a betting man, none of these celebs going home to their posh homes are thinking about YOUR problems.

That punisher was that ish tho.
Shemy
Head Coach

Post#145 » by Shemy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:28 am

Handledatruth wrote:
Shemy wrote:saw it last night thought it was pretty good, not entirely sure it cracks my top 5 of the MCU movies though

Ignoring the fact that your comment on Klaue contradicts your statement about 1 dimensional villians, it is a fact that the MCU suffers from not so interesting villains (I'll put aside Ragnarok since I did not get a chance to see it). Ultron ended up being anti-climatic, Hydra is corny, and its hard to pinpoint anything memorable about the villain in Civil War besides the unconvincing motivation behind him manipulating Bucky. So really, that leaves you with Loki as the most interesting villain in the MCU until Killmonger. Killmonger had depth(meaning they took the time to explain his strengths), an origin story, a motive that could be understood, and a like-able swag. Not sure what else you can ask for in a villain. Klaue had like-able swag and that is it. Really the draw to most MCU movies is to see the heroes in action and their interactions with throwaway villians. That was until Black Panther came along. Thus the comparison to TDK Joker. Of course Infinity Wars can change this convo if Thanos nails it.

felt klaue was more memorable overall dont think he was nothing to write home about either maybe if he got more screen time

killmonger was nothing new we havent seen and just didnt do anything for me, highly trained warrior who feels hes being oppressed/held back, and has lost a loved one and is looking for revenge, only difference was that kill-monger was an american from oakland
"They scared now"
Shemy
Head Coach

Post#146 » by Shemy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:40 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:

People forget the FIRST tolerable Marvel movie was Blade (1998). There was the unreleased Fantastic Four film (1994) by Oley Sassone, Captain America (1990), and the Punisher with Dolph Lundgren.

one of my favorite CBMs of all time, it really doesnt get the love it should

"****, you outta your damn mind" :lol:

theres small talks of this getting rebooted, as much as I loved wesley in the role think hes too old and it should be given to someone else, always been a big michael jai white fan, as it falls under marvel/Disney would hope this gets put on netflix
"They scared now"
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,348

Post#147 » by dakomish23 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:27 am

Shemy wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:

theres small talks of this getting rebooted, as much as I loved wesley in the role think hes too old and it should be given to someone else, always been a big michael jai white fan, as it falls under marvel/Disney would hope this gets put on netflix

They should use him as a mentor type of role. A guy who’s been doing it for years in the shadows while the whole world has changed since Iron Man.

There was a comic of Strange vs Dracula.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Handledatruth
Head Coach

Post#148 » by Handledatruth » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:28 am

Shemy wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:

felt klaue was more memorable overall dont think he was nothing to write home about either maybe if he got more screen time

killmonger was nothing new we havent seen and just didnt do anything for me, highly trained warrior who feels hes being oppressed/held back, and has lost a loved one and is looking for revenge, only difference was that kill-monger was an american from oakland

I get what you are saying. I guess the motivation was developed more than other MCU villians (minus Loki who is a great villain as well). Magneto is another notable, but he's not exactly in the MCU universe at the moment. But of course, TDK Joker is on another level. The man literally gave his life for that role. I'm not sure we will ever see that again.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#149 » by dakomish23 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:29 am

This was a great scene. One of many. Can’t believe so many folks weren’t fans of AOU

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#150 » by TheBigBoss » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:12 am

dakomish23 wrote:
Shemy wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:

They should use him as a mentor type of role. A guy who’s been doing it for years in the shadows while the whole world has changed since Iron Man.

They were talking about bringing Wesley back as Blade to do something centering around Blade's daughter. Im not sure what happened with that, but they should really consider bringing him back in the mentor capacity like you said.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#151 » by dakomish23 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:50 am

TheBigBoss wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Shemy wrote:one of my favorite CBMs of all time, it really doesnt get the love it should

They were talking about bringing Wesley back as Blade to do something centering around Blade's daughter. Im not sure what happened with that, but they should really consider bringing him back in the mentor capacity like you said.

That would be such a great role for him.

Dracula and Captain America crossed paths as he joined his howling commandos to defeat the Nazis according to this page. Also says the first vampire was made in Atlantis, which can loop in Namor. Mix in the darkhold from AOS season 4 & now you got so many ways to easily bring him in.

http://marvel.com/universe/Dracula#axzz57u47vHH2

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,282

Post#153 » by RHODEY » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:22 am

He was anything but One dimensional IMO
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,282

Post#154 » by RHODEY » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:29 am

dakomish23 wrote:This was a great scene. One of many. Can’t believe so many folks weren’t fans of AOU

Ehh, To me it was like watching the Warriors play the Nets. No dramatic tension because you know they easily outgunned Ultron. Now Thanos ...thats another story.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#155 » by dakomish23 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:55 am

RHODEY wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:This was a great scene. One of many. Can’t believe so many folks weren’t fans of AOU

Ehh, To me it was like watching the Warriors play the Nets. No dramatic tension because you know they easily outgunned Ultron. Now Thanos ...thats another story.

You thought so? I mean you knew they’d eventually win because that’s what those movies do. But he had an army of robots and a flying city and was made up completely of vibranium . If they don’t get Vision, QuickSilver and Scarlett Witch on their side, it’s game over.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,955

Post#156 » by ITGM » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:03 pm

PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#157 » by PeoplesChamp » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:34 pm

Shemy wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:

You didn't feel his story, nothing wrong with that. But, it's probably tough for you to identify with it, anyway. (Yes, it's a Black Thing, you wouldn't understand) I know a few people who felt compelled to do some soul-searching after his performance.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,637

Post#158 » by prophet_of_rage » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:51 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
Shemy wrote:
Handledatruth wrote:Ignoring the fact that your comment on Klaue contradicts your statement about 1 dimensional villians, it is a fact that the MCU suffers from not so interesting villains (I'll put aside Ragnarok since I did not get a chance to see it). Ultron ended up being anti-climatic, Hydra is corny, and its hard to pinpoint anything memorable about the villain in Civil War besides the unconvincing motivation behind him manipulating Bucky. So really, that leaves you with Loki as the most interesting villain in the MCU until Killmonger. Killmonger had depth(meaning they took the time to explain his strengths), an origin story, a motive that could be understood, and a like-able swag. Not sure what else you can ask for in a villain. Klaue had like-able swag and that is it. Really the draw to most MCU movies is to see the heroes in action and their interactions with throwaway villians. That was until Black Panther came along. Thus the comparison to TDK Joker. Of course Infinity Wars can change this convo if Thanos nails it.

You didn't feel his story, nothing wrong with that. But, it's probably tough for you to identify with it, anyway. (Yes, it's a Black Thing, you wouldn't understand) I know a few people who felt compelled to do some soul-searching after his performance.

There was so much nuance in his performance. It was ally see the difference in his Oakland upbringing from the Wakandans and that rang true to the differences in dialect, mannerisms and values between continental Africans and African descendants in the diaspora. He was Wakandan by blood, but not by nature. The soul scene reunion with his father was beautiful. He had a rational motivation just misdirected. Hell, it was easy to see him as the hero of the film. And throughout it all he played it with a native intelligence that was overlooked and ignored by so many people.
Handledatruth
Head Coach

Post#159 » by Handledatruth » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:04 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
Shemy wrote:felt klaue was more memorable overall dont think he was nothing to write home about either maybe if he got more screen time

There was so much nuance in his performance. It was ally see the difference in his Oakland upbringing from the Wakandans and that rang true to the differences in dialect, mannerisms and values between continental Africans and African descendants in the diaspora. He was Wakandan by blood, but not by nature. The soul scene reunion with his father was beautiful. He had a rational motivation just misdirected. Hell, it was easy to see him as the hero of the film. And throughout it all he played it with a native intelligence that was overlooked and ignored by so many people.

You summed it up perfectly. I didn't want to push it too much. Being of Jamaican decent while also born and raised in Oakland I really felt the character, but not everyone understands.

Anyway, people think villains need to represent chaos and lunacy to be good these days, but sometimes when you up the chaos meter your film can get messy (see The Dark Knight Rises or Age of Ultron). Heath Ledger Joker was one of a kind, but it is not really necessary to follow the same blueprint every time. Black Panther chose to create a relevant and like-able villain and invested some time in developing his character. I can appreciate that.

Spoiler:
I was slightly disappointed to see him pull the dagger out, but I also understood. It's too bad he won't be in any future Marvel films
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#160 » by PeoplesChamp » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:05 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
Shemy wrote:felt klaue was more memorable overall dont think he was nothing to write home about either maybe if he got more screen time

And yet he was so ruthless he killed his own girl just to get a clean shot at Klaw. So he's clearly a villain. But, you see how he got there and can identify with his journey. The true shame is that they killed him off.

Return to New York Knicks