ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks To Prioritize Minutes For Young Point Guards After All-Star Break

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Re: Knicks To Prioritize Minutes For Young Point Guards After All-Star Break 

Post#61 » by Da ThRONe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:55 pm

Dantares wrote:Burke is still kind of young. With the right coach he can become a winning player, he has a lot of talent. I heard some people call him the point guard version of michael Beasley and it is true that his bball iq, defense are bad and coaches have criticized him for not being a true pg. But maybe horny can be the right coach for him the same way that Lionel hollins was the right coach for Zach randolph.

Who has questioned Trey bball IQ? Hornacek has spoken well of Burke's understanding so has John Beinlien.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#62 » by Sark » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:58 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:
Sark wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:
Wait 54%fg 41%3py 2.8 to .6 A/T rate and 22 PER is subpar?

Burke is so bad on defense that it negates his offense by a factor of 2.

No he's not. And even if he was it would still place him well ahead of Mudiay and Ntilikina.

Go look up the on/off for Burke and Frank. We're slightly better on offense, but extremely worse on defense, to the point we are -5 worse overall. With Frank we're worse on offense, but way better on defense, to the point that we're actually better overall.
Sark
RealGM

Post#63 » by Sark » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 am

Red Vines wrote:Our last three wins: Utah, Phx, & BKN, Burke played 15+ minutes. All other games since Utah he played less (usually barely or not at all) and we lost...3-11.

Correlation does not equal causation. Pretty sure that those wins had more to do with KP and playing bad teams, than Trey Burke. We swept BK for the year, and Phoenix is absolutely horrible.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#64 » by Worst_to_First » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:05 am

tleikheen wrote:1st of all Trey Burke is the best PG of all the PG's right now ......Burke , Ntilikina,and Mudiay should get all the guard play. Mudiay or Burke initiating offense through this year but Ntilikina playing the point on defense.

Kanter,Porzingas and Beasley could have been so much better if the Knicks didn't have the worst PG play in the NBA this season. So now let the young guys play and play faster .
Right now

PG) Mudiay
PG) Ntilikina
SF) Hardaway
PF) Beasley
C) Kanter

6th man) Burke

Play them for the rest of the year

I'd start Dotson and make Timmy the Super Sub.

I like the idea of 2-PG lineups. I'd be happy at this point if Frank becomes a 6'5 version of what Prigs brought to the table during our 54-win season.
WeAreNYC
Sophomore
And1: 175

Post#65 » by WeAreNYC » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:28 am

Mudiay - Frank pairing looked good in that first game post trade and I don’t feel like we’ve seen it for long enough stretches since. Hopefully this results in seeing that a bit more. Frank is a strong 3 point shooter and Mudiay seems capable of driving & kicking. Not sure what our best 3 point lineup would be surrounding those 2 but that’s what I’d like to see out there.
Context
RealGM
And1: 12,264

Post#66 » by Context » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:47 am

I gotta be honest...I have no faith in Burke or Mudiay (at this point). Frank, I believe deserves more time...But I would trade him for a top 10 pick in this years draft...

And as far AS PLAYING TIME FOR THE KIDS I could care less- If you get me ZERO wins for the remainder of the season -then I'm very happy. We need that 2nd impact - cheap -player to go along with KP...
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#67 » by Besart19 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:57 am

Worst_to_First wrote:
tleikheen wrote:1st of all Trey Burke is the best PG of all the PG's right now ......Burke , Ntilikina,and Mudiay should get all the guard play. Mudiay or Burke initiating offense through this year but Ntilikina playing the point on defense.

Kanter,Porzingas and Beasley could have been so much better if the Knicks didn't have the worst PG play in the NBA this season. So now let the young guys play and play faster .
Right now

PG) Mudiay
PG) Ntilikina
SF) Hardaway
PF) Beasley
C) Kanter

6th man) Burke

Play them for the rest of the year

I'd start Dotson and make Timmy the Super Sub.

I like the idea of 2-PG lineups. I'd be happy at this point if Frank becomes a 6'5 version of what Prigs brought to the table during our 54-win season.

Ntilikina / Burke / Mudiay
Mudiay / Dotson / Lee
Timmy / Lee / Lance
Beas / Lance / Hicks
KOQ / Kanter / Kornet
Strength and Honour!
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#68 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:37 am

SaveUsKP6 wrote:More minutes just means Mudiay is going to be terrible for longer each night.

Tank god.
Da ThRONe
Veteran

Post#69 » by Da ThRONe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:36 am

Sark wrote:
Red Vines wrote:Our last three wins: Utah, Phx, & BKN, Burke played 15+ minutes. All other games since Utah he played less (usually barely or not at all) and we lost...3-11.

Correlation does not equal causation. Pretty sure that those wins had more to do with KP and playing bad teams, than Trey Burke. We swept BK for the year, and Phoenix is absolutely horrible.

But that's exactly the same logic you use when you talk about defensive ratings as they are based on the team defense and sample size as Burke time on the court has been limited(especially when you consider the amount of meaningful time).
Sark
RealGM

Post#70 » by Sark » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:46 am

Da ThRONe wrote:
Sark wrote:

But that's exactly the same logic you use when you talk about defensive ratings as they are based on the team defense and sample size as Burke time on the court has been limited(especially when you consider the amount of meaningful time).

What do you mean? I'm using the sample size of the whole season when I bring up that our defense is way worse with Burke on compared to him off. Red Vines is being disingenuous when he cherry picked his stat of Burke playing 15+ minutes in our 3 wins, because he completely overlooks that Burke played 28+ minutes against Denver in a loss.

Our defense for the entire season is better with Frank on court compared to him off. Our offense is also worse, but the defensive positives outweigh our lack of offense.

There's more to the game of basketball than just offense.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#71 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:48 am

Next let’s prioritize getting rid of our head coach.
Da ThRONe
Veteran

Post#72 » by Da ThRONe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:02 am

Sark wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:
Sark wrote:

What do you mean? I'm using the sample size of the whole season when I bring up that our defense is way worse with Burke on compared to him off. Red Vines is being disingenuous when he cherry picked his stat of Burke playing 15+ minutes in our 3 wins, because he completely overlooks that Burke played 28+ minutes against Denver in a loss.

Our defense for the entire season is better with Frank on court compared to him off. Our offense is also worse, but the defensive positives outweigh our lack of offense.

Agreed but there's also more to defensives stats then on and off court numbers. You have some stellar defensive player with questionable defensive metrics. Those number are too greatly effected by the 4 other player and defensive schemes.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,259

Post#73 » by DOT » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:03 am

Sark wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:
Sark wrote:

Also, we have a significant sample size for Burke, y'know, cause he's in his 5th year

His best Drtg is 102.9, which is what JJ Redick's Drtg this year. So his best year he was below average. He's also never averaged a negative DefFG%, actually that stat's gotten worse since his rookie year, and this year it is negative, but again, small sample size

Never had a positive NetRTG, and his best Ortg was his rookie year at 104.2

Compare that to Frank, while his Ortg is about 9 worse, his Drtg is more than 10 better, so his NetRtg while still not positive (common for rookies) is better than Burke's. He also causes opponents to shoot 3% worse in a statistically significant sample size

On/off numbers:

Burke improves our Ortg by 4.2 when he's on the court, but diminishes our Drtg by 9.2 for a -5 NetRtg difference overall. Compared to Frank who makes our Ortg 5.1 worse but improves our Drtg by 5.5 giving us a +.5 Netrtg

Frank improves our assist% by 1.4% when he's on the court, compared to Trey "unselfish" Burke who decreases it by 3.3%

Pretty much every advanced stat shows that Frank has a more positive presence on the court than Burke, but some people only see ppg as the indicator of impact

We as a team would be far better off starting Frank and letting Burke be the 6th man type of iso scorer, which he can definitely do.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Da ThRONe
Veteran

Post#74 » by Da ThRONe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:11 am

K-DOT wrote:
Sark wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:

Also, we have a significant sample size for Burke, y'know, cause he's in his 5th year

His best Drtg is 102.9, which is what JJ Redick's Drtg this year. So his best year he was below average. He's also never averaged a negative DefFG%, actually that stat's gotten worse since his rookie year, and this year it is negative, but again, small sample size

Compare that to Frank, while his Ortg is about 9 worse, his Drtg is more than 10 better, so his NetRtg while still not positive (common for rookies) is better than Burke's. He also causes opponents to shoot 3% worse in a statistically significant sample size

On/off numbers:

Burke improves our Ortg by 4.2 when he's on the court, but diminishes our Drtg by 9.2 for a -5 NetRtg difference overall. Compared to Frank who makes our Ortg 5.1 worse but improves our Drtg by 5.5 giving us a +.5 Netrtg

Frank improves our assist% by 1.4% when he's on the court, compared to Trey "unselfish" Burke who decreases it by 3.3%

Pretty much every advanced stat shows that Frank has a more positive presence on the court than Burke, but some people only see ppg as the indicator of impact

We as a team would be far better off starting Frank and letting Burke be the 6th man type of iso scorer, which he can definitely do.

Again Ntilikina has had more time with better player. He's clearly not a better player than Burke. Things like offensive and defensive ratings are highly questionable because a player could literally do nothing on either end and have an decent to good rating based on his teammates output.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,259

Post#75 » by DOT » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:21 am

Da ThRONe wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Sark wrote:

On/off numbers:

Again Ntilikina has had more time with better player. He's clearly not a better player than Burke. Things like offensive and defensive ratings are highly questionable because a player could literally do nothing on either end and have an decent to good rating based on his teammates output.

Frank's top 5 most played with minutes:
McDermott
Beasley
KOQ
Lee
Hardaway

Burke's top 5
Beasley
McDermott
Lee
Hardaway
KOQ

So literally they play with the same teammates during their time on court

And what's your excuse for the 4 years of data we have on Burke from before he got here?

Like I said, you're only looking at ppg to determine who's the better player. You don't watch defense, and you don't see how the offense operates, only which one can create more shots for themselves, which is a terrible way of determining overall quality. Literally every stat shows that we'd be better off with Frank instead of Burke.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Da ThRONe
Veteran

Post#76 » by Da ThRONe » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:11 am

K-DOT wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Also, we have a significant sample size for Burke, y'know, cause he's in his 5th year

On/off numbers:

Frank's top 5 most played with minutes:
McDermott
Beasley
KOQ
Lee
Hardaway

Burke's top 5
Beasley
McDermott
Lee
Hardaway
KOQ

So literally they play with the same teammates during their time on court

And what's your excuse for the 4 years of data we have on Burke from before he got here?

Like I said, you're only looking at ppg to determine who's the better player. You don't watch defense, and you don't see how the offense operates, only which one can create more shots for themselves, which is a terrible way of determining overall quality. Literally every stat shows that we'd be better off with Frank instead of Burke.

Ppg are you serious? Assist%, turnover%, FG%, 3pt%, eFG%, WS, WS/48, PER,TS%,
NJ-NYK-17
Junior
And1: 431

Post#77 » by NJ-NYK-17 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:56 am

I'm more interested in Dotson getting minutes than Burke
Grinditout
RealGM
And1: 2,368

Post#78 » by Grinditout » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:00 am

Can we also hire some development coaches for them as well, I’m sure they can afford to.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#79 » by Red Vines » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:02 am

Grinditout wrote:Can we also hire some development coaches for them as well, I’m sure they can afford to.

Called the GLeague.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,895

Post#80 » by DaGawd » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:35 am

NJ-NYK-17 wrote:I'm more interested in Dotson getting minutes than Burke

This. It's so irritating how we seem to forget about him. And he produces whenever given the opportunity
BaF
Washington Wizards

Return to New York Knicks