ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Lottery Reform in 2019

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,058

Re: NBA Lottery Reform in 2019 

Post#21 » by vallen » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:39 pm

i like the idea floating around a couple years ago where they just rotated picks. so every 30 years someone gets the #1. but it rotated so everyone got a top 5 pick every 6 years or some crap like that. they didnt want to take away the trade activity from the pics. nobody's trading #1's anymore anyway. leave 2nd rounders the same. rotate pics nobody tanks ever.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#22 » by Daaaarryyl » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:49 am

They should have a lottery where every non-playoff team has the same odds for a top 5 pick.

Then once the 5 teams are chosen, the teams fall into place based on record. BOTH for the top 5 and the remainder of the draft.

Say, for example, the five teams that get chosen in the lottery are the #8 (the 8th worst record), the #4 (the 4th worst record) , the #11, the #10 and the #2.

The draft order would then be the #2, #4, #8, #10 and then the #11 gets the 5th pick in the draft.

The teams left out then go in order for the remainder of the draft.

-6th pick would go to the team with the worst remaining record (which in this scenario would also be the worst record in the NBA)

-7th pick to #3

-8th to #5

and so on.

This would make the lottery (for the top 5 ONLY now) absolutely must see TV.

And the term "tanking" would become something we would have to explain to our grandchildren...
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,206

Post#23 » by aq_ua » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:54 am

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Of course we will be terrible next year.

Yah, we need to be realistic that we're at least two years from being more than a fringe playoff team.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,978

Post#24 » by Capn'O » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:42 am

This "reform" isn't gonna stop tanking. Two things would:

1. Flattening odds entirely
2. Drastically increasing/Effectively eliminating the rookie scale.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,893

Post#25 » by DaGawd » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:53 am

Capn'O wrote:This "reform" isn't gonna stop tanking. Two things would:

This is legit the only way to really curtail tanking
BaF
Washington Wizards
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,305

Post#26 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:06 am

Neither is good for the league.

The idea that teams shouldn't be able to strip down and start over is ridiculous. If a team is stuck in the rut...a clean slate is needed. If it hurts that teams revenues for a couple years...oh well.

This whole lottery system should be scrapped. It does nothing. How many people think it's rigged anyway?

If teams want to compete they need talent. With the crazy salaries and superfriends all playing together...there's no other way to build a contender.

We being Knicks fans should be all about getting rid of the lottery! We don't tank and STILL lose our pick to a team that laid down in the end and DID tank. We lucked into KP but...still. It's useless and doesn't stop anything.

Let the worst team win. If you catch them resting players and throwing games somehow...let me know. The lottery isn't stopping anything.
:beer: RIP mags
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,978

Post#27 » by Capn'O » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:04 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Neither is good for the league.

The idea that teams shouldn't be able to strip down and start over is ridiculous. If a team is stuck in the rut...a clean slate is needed. If it hurts that teams revenues for a couple years...oh well.

This whole lottery system should be scrapped. It does nothing. How many people think it's rigged anyway?

If teams want to compete they need talent. With the crazy salaries and superfriends all playing together...there's no other way to build a contender.

We being Knicks fans should be all about getting rid of the lottery! We don't tank and STILL lose our pick to a team that laid down in the end and DID tank. We lucked into KP but...still. It's useless and doesn't stop anything.

Let the worst team win. If you catch them resting players and throwing games somehow...let me know. The lottery isn't stopping anything.

Teams can still gut and rebuild. In fact, raising the rookie scale would soften the FA market because high end rookies would be eating up a lot of teams' caps. They just aren't rewarded for it as much.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#28 » by earthmansurfer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:58 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:There are currently SIX teams with 18 wins and taking hard. None of which are the NY Knicks. Three of those 6 teams will have an even shot at the #1 pick. That doesn't level the playing field, it encourages it.

What they should be doing, saying anyone of the 6 teams have even shot unless you've had the #1 pick in the last 7 years, then you can't get the #1 pick.

I like a tweak like that. Perhaps if you get a top 3 pick and accept it at the draft you cannot accept a top 3 pick in the subsequent two drafts. This would mean that your combinations would be ineligible until the fourth pick.

I like the idea of limiting these picks for repeat teams, but now we are in thar rare position, well, getting closer.
But stopping what teams like Phili did anyway.

And what about teams like Boston getting picks through trades? Complicated...
Multipe Sources
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#29 » by Multipe Sources » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:52 pm

If the Knicks get stuck with a 7-10th pick again this year (as opposed to like Top 5), I think the odds of NOT being in the lottery in 2019 are pretty slim. I think the Knicks are inching closer and closer to being stuck in NBA purgatory for even longer.

The 8th pick in the 2017 draft and the 7th pick in the 2016 draft (that we didn't even get to pick ourselves). Luckily we sucked enough before the 2016 draft and had the basketball gods bless us with KP... but man I actually would bet on the Knicks ending up with back to back 7-10 picks this draft and next draft. I don't see us getting a better than mid-lottery pick this year. I don't see us improving enough next year to get out of the lottery barring a fast/ perfect KP recovery and a great new coach... but we're also not bad enough to be bottom 3-5.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,305

Post#30 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:01 pm

Multipe Sources wrote:If the Knicks get stuck with a 7-10th pick again this year (as opposed to like Top 5), I think the odds of NOT being in the lottery in 2019 are pretty slim. I think the Knicks are inching closer and closer to being stuck in NBA purgatory for even longer.

The 8th pick in the 2017 draft and the 7th pick in the 2016 draft (that we didn't even get to pick ourselves). Luckily we sucked enough before the 2016 draft and had the basketball gods bless us with KP... but man I actually would bet on the Knicks ending up with back to back 7-10 picks this draft and next draft. I don't see us getting a better than mid-lottery pick this year. I don't see us improving enough next year to get out of the lottery barring a fast/ perfect KP recovery and a great new coach... but we're also not bad enough to be bottom 3-5.

You post this as if living in the lottery is a guarantee to success. It's not. We need to nail draft picks. 4th...7th...wherever. Also...Mudiay was in the 2015 draft with KP. We didn't draft anyone in 2016 that I recall. We had a draft party with no picks that year I think.

Just nail the draft pick. Easier said than done.
:beer: RIP mags
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#31 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:52 am

nyk97 wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:Basically this change happens exactly when we are going to be a top tank team rather than this year when we would be best suited to benefit. Sounds right.

it actually works in our favor cause the knicks always like to **** with us and win for no reason

Nah, when we didn't have our pick, we landed the pick that would have been LMA (traded for Tyrus Thomas). We only get the 8th pick when we are TRYING to rebuild. Then we fail at the rebuild because the talent was gone after 7, and we point at the idea of rebuilding as the problem.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#32 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:55 am

earthmansurfer wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:There are currently SIX teams with 18 wins and taking hard. None of which are the NY Knicks. Three of those 6 teams will have an even shot at the #1 pick. That doesn't level the playing field, it encourages it.

What they should be doing, saying anyone of the 6 teams have even shot unless you've had the #1 pick in the last 7 years, then you can't get the #1 pick.

I like a tweak like that. Perhaps if you get a top 3 pick and accept it at the draft you cannot accept a top 3 pick in the subsequent two drafts. This would mean that your combinations would be ineligible until the fourth pick.

I like the idea of limiting these picks for repeat teams, but now we are in thar rare position, well, getting closer.
But stopping what teams like Phili did anyway.

And what about teams like Boston getting picks through trades? Complicated...

Basically they wouldn't be able to reap the full reward if the accepted a top 3 pick. Boston actually has avoided my rule already by constantly trading out of a top pick and getting a 4-5 pick!
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,599

Post#33 » by El Poochio » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:45 pm

This "reform" is so stupid it makes tanking even more essench THERE SHOULD BE NO PLACE FOR LOSING > WINNING IN COMPETITIVE SPORTS

What I have been thinking is the division system. Only top division teams get to draft players so you want to win to be in the top division, lower in top division teams get to have more ping pong balls like in now but I think draw should be for all slots not just top 3 and every top division team competes in playoffs for the championship, so shorter season and less meaningless games. Lower division teams want to promote to the top league for a chance at championship or drafting prospects

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell

Return to New York Knicks