ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Yankees Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Re: Official 2018 Yankees Thread 

Post#341 » by levendis » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:06 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
levendis wrote:Gegorious and his .318 OBP shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the lineup in front of guys like Judge/Stanton/Sanchez/Bird.

Yet they had him batting 3rd at some point.

I was thinking mostly about bat control, some speed, but I really don't like him at the top of the order. Was more thinking out loud. I'll state it again. I don't think the Yanks have an old fashioned quality leadoff hitter or # 2 hitter. They have guys who can fill the roles "ok", but Gardner doesn't really tear it up in batting average and walks and his base stealing hasn't been great for about 5 years - but I'd guess that more a function of approach. Gardner is a classic leadoff hitter, he just isn't really a great one. He could just as soon be batting 7-9 on a team that had a really good lead off hitter. It's hard to say what Hicks is, because he's had one good half season, but he did draw a good number of walks. Conversely, he's strike out 100+ times if he ever played a full year, but that's not as big a deal as it used to be, so I guess that's ok now for a guy who hits 2nd. It certainly wouldn't have been for most of the history of baseball, but the attitude towards strikeouts is way different than it used to be and baseball FO people know analytics, so I'd assume they'd be ok with it.

Yeah that wasn't ideal, had a crap load of injuries at some point last year. I remember Romine batting 5/6 for a couple games. Girardi also had an obsession with wanting to split up R and L so he hit him in front of Sanchez to split those two up... which is stupid.

He's probably our best contact hitter. He's actually sneaky slow. Don't steal any bags.
Ultimately what teams are doing is batting their best hitters higher in the lineup to get more ABs. Dont have the numbers in front of me but those extra ABs add up as the season progresses. I'd rather have Judge getting that extra AB the 1-2 spots usually get than Didi.
I mean Ks matter but all outs matter. That's all new analytics are saying. Putting the ball in play doesn't mean much if it's not very productive. Ultimately Ks are worse than ground outs, singles better than walks. Rather have the chance of an error occuring, moving a runner over from 1st to 3rd on a single etc. But thats not nearly as important as getting on base more and making less outs.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,585

Post#342 » by Rich Rane » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Betances makes me weep.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#343 » by GEOLINK » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Ready for Cashman to sweep in and get Cobb and Arrieta for like 5 mill a piece.

Severino
Tanaka
Arrieta
Cobb
Monty
CC
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#344 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:15 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Betances makes me weep.

Useless with men on base.
:beer: RIP mags
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#345 » by Rich Rane » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:24 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:

I don't understand it. He was great the first two months of last season, sucked around the All-Star break, had a great August, and just completely fell off a cliff and doesn't look like he's recovered yet.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#346 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:30 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

I don't understand it. He was great the first two months of last season, sucked around the All-Star break, had a great August, and just completely fell off a cliff and doesn't look like he's recovered yet.

Mental? I know he thought he was gonna get paid and Levine came out and said nah b...ain't happening. He hasn't been dominant since then IIRC.

Whatever it is...the book on him is out. Steal any base you want. That's not a good look for a closer/set up man.
:beer: RIP mags
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,354

Post#347 » by F N 11 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:50 pm

Warren, Jackson, and Booker not playing lmao

Edit: lol wrong thread
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#348 » by GEOLINK » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:54 pm

K P 6 wrote:Warren, Jackson, and Booker not playing lmao

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#349 » by Papi_swav » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:09 am

Trade Betances ! Wish we did it this year off season while his value was still high. I have a feeling he isn't going to be dominant this year, he's too hot and cold for my liking.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#350 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:19 pm

IF new Yankee skipper Aaron Boone is worth his sac, he'll find a way to get Betances through his issues. The kid has tremendous stuff. Yes, he needs to work on keeping his composure when he has men on. Somethings are difficult to change, like his delivery which gives men on base an extra 2-3 steps.

Bottom line is, neither the Yankees nor Betances are in a better place if he's traded at his lowest value.

GEOLINK wrote:Ready for Cashman to sweep in and get Cobb and Arrieta for like 5 mill a piece.

Severino
Tanaka
Arrieta
Cobb
Monty
CC

A full season of Sonny Gray with the kind of offensive support Giancarlo Stanton is going to bring, should keep this rotation from having to overpay for Arrieta or Cobb.

For the rotation, I'm going:

1. Severino

2. CC Sabbathia

3. Sonny Gray

4. Montgomery

5. Tanaka

I'm just a huge fan of righty, lefty, righty, lefty, etc.

Why, Tanaka as #5? Well, I think he benefits from the occasional extra day off between starts. Keeping him fresh is very important especially in the second half. Against the Astros, Tanaka had it right: Down and away. Down and away. Forcing the Stros to keep it on the ground. Since the Houston Astros are fastball hitters, it's important to keep mixing speeds and angles. I'd like to drop CC to #4 but I don't know how quickly Montgomery will mature. A front line lefty is VERY important at Yankee stadium.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,794

Post#351 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Papi_swav wrote:Trade Betances ! Wish we did it this year off season while his value was still high. I have a feeling he isn't going to be dominant this year, he's too hot and cold for my liking.

It seems like they have like 5 guys in the pipeline that could replace him.

The Yankees bullpen is already sickly deep.And then the minors.

I mean, to an extent:
Roberston
Khanle
Green
- All those guys could be the 8th inning guy that Betances was. In fact, i'd say Betances is really the "7th inning guy" now.
So, you could say two of those guys.

Then, in the minors:
Acevedo
Adams?
Abreu?
F. Perez
Tate?

Figuring that 2 of those guys are slated to replace Sabathia and ? Pretty wild. Yanks could replace two starters, not have Betances in the 8th inning, and barring a trade of some of these pitching prospects, have 5 guys lined up to take the 8th inning spot - 3 guys in the majors, 3 guys in the minors, though not all of those players are ready for this year or even next.

And there is still German and Heller. I don't look at them as Betances quality.

Anyway, I'd rather keep Betances and hope he sorts it out. Yanks have options where he doesn't have to live at pitching 8th if he slumps. The bullpen depth is absolutely filthy though.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#352 » by GEOLINK » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:IF new Yankee skipper Aaron Boone is worth his sac, he'll find a way to get Betances through his issues. The kid has tremendous stuff. Yes, he needs to work on keeping his composure when he has men on. Somethings are difficult to change, like his delivery which gives men on base an extra 2-3 steps.

Bottom line is, neither the Yankees nor Betances are in a better place if he's traded at his lowest value.

GEOLINK wrote:Ready for Cashman to sweep in and get Cobb and Arrieta for like 5 mill a piece.

Severino
Tanaka
Arrieta
Cobb
Monty
CC

A full season of Sonny Gray with the kind of offensive support Giancarlo Stanton is going to bring, should keep this rotation from having to overpay for Arrieta or Cobb.

For the rotation, I'm going:

1. Severino

2. CC Sabbathia

3. Sonny Gray

4. Montgomery

5. Tanaka

I'm just a huge fan of righty, lefty, righty, lefty, etc.

Why, Tanaka as #5? Well, I think he benefits from the occasional extra day off between starts. Keeping him fresh is very important especially in the second half. Against the Astros, Tanaka had it right: Down and away. Down and away. Forcing the Stros to keep it on the ground. Since the Houston Astros are fastball hitters, it's important to keep mixing speeds and angles. I'd like to drop CC to #4 but I don't know how quickly Montgomery will mature. A front line lefty is VERY important at Yankee stadium.

I completely forgot about Sonny. I didn't leave him off there on purpose.

Yeah I know how much Tanaka benefits from the extra day off that's why I had a 6-man rotation. I still feel like we need one more starter.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#353 » by GEOLINK » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:35 pm

Read on Twitter

That was a close one.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#354 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Just an embarrassment of riches. Pretty much the Mets are kind of like starving children led by Tiny Tim Wilpon, looking at the great "good guy" Empire with gleaming gates.

Should we rotate handing out porridge at one of the gates?
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#355 » by Rich Rane » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:53 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:I mean, to an extent:
Roberston
Khanle
Green
- All those guys could be the 8th inning guy that Betances was. In fact, i'd say Betances is really the "7th inning guy" now.

In terms of holding a lead, Betances could've fell off Girardi's roster. If you had to give an inning to each reliever whom Girardi would've trusted, it would've been:

6th Green
7th Kahnle
8th Robertson
9th Chapman

Even Warren was beginning to move up over Betances in the playoffs.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#356 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:55 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Roberston
Khanle
Green

In terms of holding a lead, Betances could've fell off Girardi's roster. If you had to give an inning to each reliever whom Girardi would've trusted, it would've been:

6th Green
7th Kahnle
8th Robertson
9th Chapman

It shows how good the pen is. Basically they can alternate a 7,8,9 guy just about every game
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#357 » by Papi_swav » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:44 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Roberston
Khanle
Green

6th Green
7th Kahnle
8th Robertson
9th Chapman

It shows how good the pen is. Basically they can alternate a 7,8,9 guy just about every game

This is the reason why I think we should of traded him in the off season. We can't trust him anymore with a 1 run lead and a guy on the base, he also walks alot of guys. And we definitely can not trust him in the playoffs, unless we have a 6 run lead. He's disposable. I mean he's here now so ofcourse I hope he turns it around but, every season we see his inconsistencies.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#358 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

6th Green
7th Kahnle
8th Robertson
9th Chapman

This is the reason why I think we should of traded him in the off season. We can't trust him anymore with a 1 run lead and a guy on the base, he also walks alot of guys. And we definitely can not trust him in the playoffs, unless we have a 6 run lead. He's disposable. I mean he's here now so ofcourse I hope he turns it around but, every season we see his inconsistencies.

How much longer is his contract?

I figure just let him go when it runs out. Or deal him in season even if he remains inconsistent. They'll still get something. I figure they are waiting until one of the minor league guys makes the next step. A few of them are 1,2,3 years away. Others seem very close. I think the Yanks just need to sure on the next guy. I feel like this version of management has plans. They know the keepers, the guys they hype but will move for vets, and the guys they are waiting on to step in.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#359 » by GEOLINK » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:18 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

How much longer is his contract?

I figure just let him go when it runs out. Or deal him in season even if he remains inconsistent. They'll still get something. I figure they are waiting until one of the minor league guys makes the next step. A few of them are 1,2,3 years away. Others seem very close. I think the Yanks just need to sure on the next guy. I feel like this version of management has plans. They know the keepers, the guys they hype but will move for vets, and the guys they are waiting on to step in.

One more year of arbitration.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york-yankees/dellin-betances-8456/
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#360 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:15 am

If Betances has a big first half of season they should trade him.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,

Return to New York Knicks