ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: Official 2018 Yankees Thread 

Post#4321 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:00 am

Tonight is the BEST game the Yankees have played.

Not trying to be difficult but sincere and honest.

How to quantify the BEST wins? When your ace is mortal, the big guns aren't firing immediately....

In other words, how do you win when things are not going your way?

People wonder why the Yankees haven't gotten rid of Brett Gardner, he's a leader...he knows when to step up. Yes, the .255 is not "sexy" but this guy has been a warrior and just like Jeter deserved his place until he was done so does Brett.

People wonder why Hicks is still in the line up. You NEED the glue guys who know when to elevate their game. Again, modest .255 but he knows when to get the rally going.

Didi is streaky but he breaks through when it matters most.

Greg Bird may be a career .211 hitter but again, guy can get hot and his defense is consistent.

All of these guys may not be Hall of Famers but they'll make sure to get Judge and Stanton there.
levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Post#4322 » by levendis » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:26 am

The Red Sox can keep racking up wins against **** teams. Come October that won't do them any good.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#4323 » by GEOLINK » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:33 am

cuyankees wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
DowNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Gee Bernie, such an astute observation... :roll:

Bern baby Bern.

Obi-One
Analyst
And1: 1,963

Post#4324 » by Obi-One » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:43 am

The freakin Red Sox never lose! The Yanks are on pace for 105+ wins and can still be stuck in a must win WC playoff game :banghead:
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#4325 » by awy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:51 am

didi pulled a low pitch like he is supposed to with that swing. need to target that pitch rather than trying to contact everything on the outside.
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,599

Post#4326 » by bishnykfan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:56 am

Red Sox schedule gets much more difficult after the break. Yankees just need to keep winning games and winning series. Red Sox are doing an amazing job of beating the bad teams but their September schedule is killer. Three games with Atlanta, Cleveland, and Houston and six with the Yankees. Yankees will make up the ground if they can get and then stay healthy. Tanaka is already back. Get Sanchez and Torres back next week and the Yankees will be fine.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#4327 » by blue and orange » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:19 am

Im confident as a wild card team too.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#4328 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
DowNY wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh Bernie...Bernie...Bernie...

Of the 22 Yankee prospects, MAYBE 1-2 will make the Pros. This is no more self-evident than the last time Cashman stocked the farm system full of pitching prospects and the BEST of the Best: Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, and Ian Kennedy. None of which stayed in NYC or brought much glory to the Yankees.

This led to the overspending in 2009: AJ Burnett, CC Sabbathia, and Mark Teixiera, followed by a lengthy 1/done playoffs and rebuild with bad contracts.

I'm not completely against going all in on a top pitcher but more often than not, the Yankees were suckered into fool's gold and just paid the luxury tax.

Hal Steinbrenner is not interested in paying very much luxury tax at all. Nicknamed "Bean Counter" by JackO on Bill Simmons' podcast, it's been clear since he was quoted as saying, "Fiscal responsibility."

This is why the Yankees should stay away from Bryce Harper...

This is why the Yankees should stay away from Manchado....

This is why the Yankees should stay away from even Clayton Kershaw...

Luxury tax=More trades, sell offs, and more hasty rebuild.

Build around Severino, Montgomery, Germán, and 1-2 kids...keep the payroll respectable, then add one FA piece.

Don't sell the farm for garbage in Seattle, Atlanta, Oakland, Tampa Bay or any garbage franchises who have been known to fleece the Yanks because they DRESS their prospects up.

Like the Yanks don't hype up their prospects over the years and try to get teams to bite?
Hensley Meulens....
Rickey Ledee
Rueben Rivera
Jesus Montero

Should I go on?

And yeah, of course most of the 22 players won't make the pros or be that good. That's why they are called PROSPECTS.

What you hope is that the Yankees have the internal scouting to know which guys are really good, which are ok, who aren't that good, and that they deal more from "the ok part of the deck" where the other team might think those guys are good. Also, they may even be willing to part with a "good" player just based on numbers, the confidence they have at the position in terms of other guys, 40 man roster considerations etc etc.

You know what, I had to edit this post here and come in to address one bit of idiocy at the top. Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy.

First off, the farm system wasn't "stocked" back then. Secondly, it's an entirely different scouting department or different enough. Third, the Yankees had NOWHERE NEAR the commitment to the minor leagues then as the last 5 years. Forth, it's well known the Yankees have plowed a LOT of money into player development and internal scouting. I'm not saying they are the originators, or the only ones, but somewhere along the line Cashman and co learned this is a really good thing to do and went in on it in a big way.
Fifth - Hughes had a major league career of some length. A couple of good seasons. Kennedy has had a mlb career of some length and a couple of very good seasons. Joba was in the bullpen rotation for a few years before he derailed himself. That's decent work and production from the farm regarding those 3. Clearly it's not awesome, but it's not bad.
bishnykfan

Post#4329 » by bishnykfan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Yeah, hard to fight fault in the Yankee minor league system or player development right now. If the 22 players turn out to be like the last 22 "prospects" from a few years ago then the Yankees are in great shape. Judge, Sanchez, Bird, Torres, Andujar, Severino, German, Loaisiga, Betences, Green, etc etc etc....the Yankees have done an amazing job developing there minor leaguers.

Cashman and the Yankees changed their philosophy a few years back realizing that building through 30+ year old free agents was not the way to go. Since that organizational philosophy shift, it is almost impossible to find fault in anything that Cashman has done.
All-Time Draft

Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#4330 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:38 pm

And how many of these prospects will be perennial MVP Candidates at the age of 25? Sorry nothing you can say can convince me to say we shouldn't be selling some of these guys to get Machado here long term. We have a plethora of guys we can offload. If we were devoid of talent I'd understand or even if Machado was older i'd understand that too but come on this would be the most slam dunk thing Cashman's ever done.
bishnykfan

Post#4331 » by bishnykfan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:49 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:And how many of these prospects will be perennial MVP Candidates at the age of 25? Sorry nothing you can say can convince me to say we shouldn't be selling some of these guys to get Machado here long term. We have a plethora of guys we can offload. If we were devoid of talent I'd understand or even if Machado was older i'd understand that too but come on this would be the most slam dunk thing Cashman's ever done.

But why now? I'm all for getting Machado in the offseason where he won't cost you anything but money. I don't think that Machado rather than Andujar puts the Yankees over the top as a slam dunk WS winner this year so why move any of your assets that can and should be used in other areas?

I would even say I would understand it if Cashman had a deal in line for an ace using Andujar as the centerpiece. But to trade any of their top assets for a guy who will be free to sign in a few months, just doesn't make sense IMO.
All-Time Draft

Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,805

Post#4332 » by Spree2Houston » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:52 pm

The Red Sox will be the 2001 Mariners. They'll win their 115 games and lose to us in the playoffs
nykfan42
Head Coach
And1: 3,077

Post#4333 » by nykfan42 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:53 pm

I LOVE Brett Gardner. Such a gritty player. He's the perfect veteran for the young guys. Homegrown and he just plays the game the right way. He gets on base, a prototypical lead off hitter.

I'm not sure how much more time he has here tho. I would still re-sign him next season.
Make the Knicks great again!
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,934

Post#4334 » by Fury » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:58 pm

nykfan42 wrote:I LOVE Brett Gardner. Such a gritty player. He's the perfect veteran for the young guys. Homegrown and he just plays the game the right way. He gets on base, a prototypical lead off hitter.

I'm not sure how much more time he has here tho. I would still re-sign him next season.

Just gotta pick up his option
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#4335 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:02 pm

bishnykfan wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:And how many of these prospects will be perennial MVP Candidates at the age of 25? Sorry nothing you can say can convince me to say we shouldn't be selling some of these guys to get Machado here long term. We have a plethora of guys we can offload. If we were devoid of talent I'd understand or even if Machado was older i'd understand that too but come on this would be the most slam dunk thing Cashman's ever done.

But why now? I'm all for getting Machado in the offseason where he won't cost you anything but money. I don't think that Machado rather than Andujar puts the Yankees over the top as a slam dunk WS winner this year so why move any of your assets that can and should be used in other areas?

I would even say I would understand it if Cashman had a deal in line for an ace using Andujar as the centerpiece. But to trade any of their top assets for a guy who will be free to sign in a few months, just doesn't make sense IMO.

But realistically what value does a guy like Frazier have for us? There's no pathway for him especially if Brett/Hicks are producing like this next year... Sheffield we should keep but we're in the perfect position to unload Frazier and a few of our other lower prospects for a guy like Machado and still having the cupboard full for a legit starter.
bishnykfan

Post#4336 » by bishnykfan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:

But realistically what value does a guy like Frazier have for us? There's no pathway for him especially if Brett/Hicks are producing like this next year... Sheffield we should keep but we're in the perfect position to unload Frazier and a few of our other lower prospects for a guy like Machado and still having the cupboard full for a legit starter.

Frazier may never play for us but he still has a lot of value for the Yankees. He could very easily be used as a centerpiece for a top starting pitcher, probably in the offseason considering there are no top pitchers on the market at the deadline. To just throw him away for Machado, when he can just be signed and doesn't really put us over the top, just seems like a misallocation of assets.
All-Time Draft

Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#4337 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:29 pm

bishnykfan wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:

Frazier may never play for us but he still has a lot of value for the Yankees. He could very easily be used as a centerpiece for a top starting pitcher, probably in the offseason considering there are no top pitchers on the market at the deadline. To just throw him away for Machado, when he can just be signed and doesn't really put us over the top, just seems like a misallocation of assets.

I guess we disagree on the bolded so it's probably pointless to go back and forth. I think he's a perfect fit in he order next to Judge and Stanton outside of not being a lefty. He rarely strikes out, has a high OBP, and brings a great glove at strictly 3rd and is younger than Judge. Add a healthy Sanchez to that and our lineup not just the most feared line up today but possibly all-time.
bishnykfan

Post#4338 » by bishnykfan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

I guess we disagree on the bolded so it's probably pointless to go back and forth. I think he's a perfect fit in he order next to Judge and Stanton outside of not being a lefty. He rarely strikes out, has a high OBP, and brings a great glove at strictly 3rd and is younger than Judge. Add a healthy Sanchez to that and our lineup not just the most feared line up today but possibly all-time.

Machado is a great offensive player and a great third basemen. He would absolutely make us better assuming he plays third base. I'm not debating that at all. My only point is that I don't think he would be the reason we get past Boston and Houston and win the WS and I don't want to give up a top prospect that can be used in another move for him considering we can sign him in the offseason. I'll agree to disagree on it though.

And like I said, I know this wouldn't happen but if the Mets or Rays were willing to move a deGrom or Snell for Andujar, I'd be all for moving Frazier for Machado right now. Just don't see it happening that way.
All-Time Draft

levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Post#4339 » by levendis » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:13 pm

bishnykfan wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:

Machado is a great offensive player and a great third basemen. He would absolutely make us better assuming he plays third base. I'm not debating that at all. My only point is that I don't think he would be the reason we get past Boston and Houston and win the WS and I don't want to give up a top prospect that can be used in another move for him considering we can sign him in the offseason. I'll agree to disagree on it though.

And like I said, I know this wouldn't happen but if the Mets or Rays were willing to move a deGrom or Snell for Andujar, I'd be all for moving Frazier for Machado right now. Just don't see it happening that way.

If Frazier had never been called up he'd be a top 10 prospect in baseball. He's hitting .312/.391/.577 (172 wRC+) as a 23 year old in AAA this year. He has no business being traded for a rental. The media and radio hosts are seriously underselling his value just because he's been brought up in trade discussions.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM

Post#4340 » by Knicksfan1992 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:20 pm

levendis wrote:
bishnykfan wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

If Frazier had never been called up he'd be a top 10 prospect in baseball. He's hitting .312/.391/.577 (172 wRC+) as a 23 year old in AAA this year. He has no business being traded for a rental. The media and radio hosts are seriously underselling his value just because he's been brought up in trade discussions.

I assume the Yankees wouldn't be trading for Machado without the assurance that he would sign long-term. So he's not a rental.

Return to New York Knicks