ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,750

Re: Official 2018 Yankees Thread 

Post#4401 » by Rich Rane » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:09 pm

Mecca wrote:Hearing Yankees might be in on Carlos Martinez who I love.

I’d give Andujar+Frazier+Loisaga for him.

Get him (or deGrom) and Yanks jump over the hurdle of not wanting to deal for Machado.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#4402 » by xNewYorkMadex » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Dont think Yankees come away w/ Machado or DeGrom in this deadline.

Mets just dont want too make a deal w/ us. And I think the O's also prefer to not deal him w/in the division. Plus, I seriously dont think the Yankees are willing to offer the prospects they want knowing we have a real shot of acquiring him via free agency. The whole purpose for cutting back payroll and staying under the tax was too go big in next years free agency period.

Yankees are going to acquire a starter but I dont think it will be a big name. The team has done really well even w/ our inconsistent starting pitching. We are on pace to have 100+ wins, i'll just give credit to the Red Sox for playing extremely well too. I think we can catch up w/ them though, far from over.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#4403 » by GEOLINK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:39 pm

Andujar and Frazier??? Uhh...
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#4404 » by Mecca » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:24 pm

GEOLINK wrote:

C-Mart is a top 12-15 SP, cost controlled and under 30. Not sure you realize the price of an Ace.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,599

Post#4405 » by bishnykfan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:55 pm

Mecca wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:

C-Mart is a top 12-15 SP, cost controlled and under 30. Not sure you realize the price of an Ace.

I like Martinez and think he would be a very good #2 behind Severino but I don't think he is top 12-15 SP and I wouldn't give up both Andujar and Frazier for him. That would be a much higher cost then what they gave up last year for Gray who was also under 30 and cost controlled.

Saying all of that, Martinez would be the perfect pickup. I heard his name mentioned last night and looked him up and saw a lot of positives. He is under team control for another five seasons at a very reasonable $14M a year on average. Those five years of control are huge for the Yankees. Him being only 26 also fits perfectly for the Yankees. His numbers are pretty good but he is an NL pitcher pitching in a pretty weak division. I would definitely give up Frazier, Loaisiga or German, Adams, and another good prospect for him.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#4406 » by GEOLINK » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:06 pm

Mecca wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:

Not saying I wouldn't like to have him but Frazier + Andujar package is something I would trade for DeGrom. Not sure about Carlos.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#4407 » by GEOLINK » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:46 am

AARON F*CKING JUDGE BABY
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,837

Post#4408 » by SelbyCobra » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:29 am

GEOLINK wrote:

To say the least. :lol: That's a St Louis sports-radio level proposal right there.

Martinez is nowhere even remotely close to an ace at this point - he's not even in the conversation. His velo is down just over two full ticks this season, he's got a horrific walk rate, and his ERA is strongly bolstered by an abnormal HR%. And it's not just one pitch - his four most frequently thrown pitches this season (sinker, slider, 4seasm, cutter) ALL have a career high BB rates. Loss of velocity AND control? HUGE red flags, especially when combined with his injury history.

If you want to argue that he's worth taking a shot on as a guy with upside/potential, then you'll get no disagreement from the me or the facts, but Martinez - with 3+ years at $12 million per is not worth anywhere close to the package you're proposing. That's a package commensurate with the value for a legitimate, established ace, not one for a guy like Martinez.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#4409 » by cuyankees » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:19 am

Yeah, strange to think that we're undervaluing Miggy bc he's ROY if not for Torres and with that in mind, he fetches a top SP alone.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#4410 » by Knickfan1982 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:12 am

xNewYorkMadex wrote:Dont think Yankees come away w/ Machado or DeGrom in this deadline.

Mets just dont want too make a deal w/ us. And I think the O's also prefer to not deal him w/in the division. Plus, I seriously dont think the Yankees are willing to offer the prospects they want knowing we have a real shot of acquiring him via free agency. The whole purpose for cutting back payroll and staying under the tax was too go big in next years free agency period.

Yankees are going to acquire a starter but I dont think it will be a big name. The team has done really well even w/ our inconsistent starting pitching. We are on pace to have 100+ wins, i'll just give credit to the Red Sox for playing extremely well too. I think we can catch up w/ them though, far from over.

I think our best bet would be JA Happ. After that the already slim pickings get uglier and uglier. We're talking slight upgrades over German right now. If we weren't genuine World Series contenders I would prefer to let German work through his growing pains than pay a prospect price for marginal upgrades. But we can't afford to lose ground on Boston.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,599

Post#4411 » by bishnykfan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:27 am

SelbyCobra wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:

To say the least. :lol: That's a St Louis sports-radio level proposal right there.

Martinez is nowhere even remotely close to an ace at this point - he's not even in the conversation. His velo is down just over two full ticks this season, he's got a horrific walk rate, and his ERA is strongly bolstered by an abnormal HR%. And it's not just one pitch - his four most frequently thrown pitches this season (sinker, slider, 4seasm, cutter) ALL have a career high BB rates. Loss of velocity AND control? HUGE red flags, especially when combined with his injury history.

If you want to argue that he's worth taking a shot on as a guy with upside/potential, then you'll get no disagreement from the me or the facts, but Martinez - with 3+ years at $12 million per is not worth anywhere close to the package you're proposing. That's a package commensurate with the value for a legitimate, established ace, not one for a guy like Martinez.

I agree that the Andujar/Frazier package is to high for Martinez but I do think that he has the potential to be a #2 starter that no one else being discussed now has. His overall numbers have not been as good since he returned from his injury but he was dominant in his first eight starts this year (50IP 9ER 1.62ERA 47K/22BB). He has also been very good in his last four starts (24IP 7ER 22K/5BB). I like Frazier a lot but I would give him up along with Loaisiga or Adams plus for Martinez and feel pretty good about things. He may not be the two time all-star that he was again this year but at 26 and with 5 more years of reasonable control, I'd be good grabbing him, assuming his medicals checkout, to lineup behind Severino in the postseason.

And his injury was a lat not an arm, shoulder or elbow. I think his age and contract are plusses also not negatives. I'd take Martinez, depending on the prospect cost, over any other pitcher being discussed (and I love Happ to NY).
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#4412 » by blue and orange » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:38 am

Tie game now all Yankees are out of the game and Chapman and Gleyber arent playing thats all I care about, hopefully Kimbrel will get used.
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#4413 » by SelbyCobra » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:02 am

bishnykfan wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:Andujar and Frazier??? Uhh...

I agree that the Andujar/Frazier package is to high for Martinez but I do think that he has the potential to be a #2 starter that no one else being discussed now has. His overall numbers have not been as good since he returned from his injury but he was dominant in his first eight starts this year (50IP 9ER 1.62ERA 47K/22BB). He has also been very good in his last four starts (24IP 7ER 22K/5BB). I like Frazier a lot but I would give him up along with Loaisiga or Adams plus for Martinez and feel pretty good about things. He may not be the two time all-star that he was again this year but at 26 and with 5 more years of reasonable control, I'd be good grabbing him, assuming his medicals checkout, to lineup behind Severino in the postseason.

And his injury was a lat not an arm, shoulder or elbow. I think his age and contract are plusses also not negatives. I'd take Martinez, depending on the prospect cost, over any other pitcher being discussed (and I love Happ to NY).

Yeah, I said in my post I could totally see the argument you just made. I get it. I believe the red flags are much more concerning than you do, but still - I get it. He's a pitcher that still possesses intoxicating potential unlike Hamels/Happ/whomever else is generally accepted as being available at this point.

My only point was that a package headed by Andujar and Frazier for what Martinez is at this point is so far out of the realm of reality. There's a stronger logical argument to be made that NEITHER should be included in a deal for Martinez than BOTH.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#4414 » by blue and orange » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:15 am

Good now we can move on with the trade deadline, looks like Machado is going to the Dodgers.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,750

Post#4415 » by Rich Rane » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:35 am

If anyone is wondering, MLB.com ranks Yusniel Diaz #84 in the Top 100 Prospects and is the Dodgers' #4 prospect. He is currently slashing this season .314/.428/.477 in AA.
SelbyCobra
General Manager

Post#4416 » by SelbyCobra » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:59 am

Rich Rane wrote:If anyone is wondering, MLB.com ranks Yusniel Diaz #84 in the Top 100 Prospects and is the Dodgers' #4 prospect.

That's higher now - those are preseason rankings. Pipeline should do their midseason update in a week or so.

Read on Twitter

BA just redid their org top-10 rankings in the past day or so, and Diaz was #3 while May probably worked his way into the top-100 with his performance in A+ this year. There are Dodgers fans who believe May is their best pitching prospect at this point.

Here's a Dodgers mL site that just did their midseason updates in the past week and has them ranked #2 and #7 in their top-10:

http://dodgersdigest.com/2018/07/16/2018-dodgers-prospects-midseason-top-30-update/

Thats a top-50 OF prospect and a backendish top-100 arm. The Yankees equivalent of this trade is something like Florial/Abreu, and the Dodgers offer probably still beats it.

EDIT: Heyman now saying May likely isn't in the deal, which makes a ton of sense and makes everything look just a little more reasonable to me, though I still wouldn't give up Florial+ for a rental like Machado.

Read on Twitter
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#4417 » by awy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:41 pm

Diaz is a swing change guy, good discipline and contact but had no power until he learned to uppercut balls into the air dodgers style.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#4418 » by Mecca » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Get me Carlos Martinez. He's TWENTY SIX years old, relatively injury free, and cost controlled.

Andujar would have to be in the deal. Cardinals have no one at 3B long term. Push comes to shove, I would do Frazier as well, despite people being against that. It's just that Martinez is that good if you ask me. I believe executives are on my side when I say that I don't think Andujar's ceiling is as high as we're trying to pump. Not sure if I see him as a star the same way I do with our other kids.

They have Pham and Ozuna locked up long term and they like Hader/O'Neill so I don't think they'd want Frazier as much as Andujar.

Andujar+Florial+Loisaga
for
Carlos Martinez

Sign me up. We keep Sheffield/Frazier and get a top end #2 with elite stuff.
Brooklyn Nets
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,934

Post#4419 » by Fury » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Mecca wrote:Get me Carlos Martinez. He's TWENTY SIX years old, relatively injury free, and cost controlled.

Andujar would have to be in the deal. Cardinals have no one at 3B long term. Push comes to shove, I would do Frazier as well, despite people being against that. It's just that Martinez is that good if you ask me. I believe executives are on my side when I say that I don't think Andujar's ceiling is as high as we're trying to pump. Not sure if I see him as a star the same way I do with our other kids.

They have Pham and Ozuna locked up long term and they like Hader/O'Neill so I don't think they'd want Frazier as much as Andujar.

Andujar+Florial+Loisaga
for
Carlos Martinez

He’s good but walks too many people for my taste.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#4420 » by Mecca » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Fury wrote:
Mecca wrote:Get me Carlos Martinez. He's TWENTY SIX years old, relatively injury free, and cost controlled.

Andujar+Florial+Loisaga
for
Carlos Martinez

He’s good but walks too many people for my taste.

Beggers can’t be choosers. He’s a top 15 SP in the game at 26.
Brooklyn Nets

Return to New York Knicks