ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Yankees Thread

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,602

Re: Official 2018 Yankees Thread 

Post#4561 » by bishnykfan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:20 am

reub wrote:I haven't followed Cole Hamels in quite a while but he sounds like the kind of a pitcher that could help the Yankees going forward. Does he have anything left? I'm guessing that he would come fairly cheaply, am I right?

Hamels would be interesting if he wasn't supposedly asking for his $20M team option to be guaranteed. He hasn't pitched well this year at all but as a rental I think the Yankees could do worse then someone with his experience. He could be this years Verlander or he could continue pitching poorly and the Yankees could be on the hook for $20M next year. I think the Yankees would prefer to look for another upgrade before settling for Hamels.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,819

Post#4562 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:30 am

Since it’s contagious, anyone who touched a baseball Syndergaard touched Friday would seemingly be at risk.

www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-sports-noah-syndergaard-hand-foot-mouth-20180722-story.html

Hope none of our guys are at risk.
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,602

Post#4563 » by bishnykfan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:38 am

If everyone stays in rotation for the next couple of weeks, the makeup game for tonights rainout will be Matz vs. Severino.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,416

Post#4564 » by BadNewsBarnes » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:50 am

reub wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
reub wrote:Game was postponed. You guys dodged a bullet.

Mets hopeful as well. At least they don't have to think about DeGrom slipping on the mound and accidentally tear something.

And the Yankees don't have to worry about contracting Foot and Mouth disease.

In the history of baseball, no player that was on a major league roster during a season and contracted foot and mouth disease ever won a world series in that season. You can look it up.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
bkzfinest11
Rookie
And1: 244

Post#4565 » by bkzfinest11 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:05 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Since it’s contagious, anyone who touched a baseball Syndergaard touched Friday would seemingly be at risk.

www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-sports-noah-syndergaard-hand-foot-mouth-20180722-story.html

is this real news? the way it is written , comes of as an some from onion wrote it jokingly.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#4566 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:18 am

bkzfinest11 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

is this real news? the way it is written , comes of as an some from onion wrote it jokingly.

Kinda matches the Mets' season.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#4567 » by Knickfan1982 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:58 am

Rich Rane wrote:

According to the internet

A viral infection, commonly caused by coxsackie virus. Symptoms include a rash on hands and feet, sores in mouth. The virus usually clear up on its own within few days. Medications are prescribed to reduce symptoms.

You cannot make this stuff up.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#4568 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:55 am

Pretty much, every report I've read has other teams asking the Yankees for Gleyber Torres to get the conversation going...

And this is a part of business.

They are hoping the Yankees get desperate and go all-in as they did during the 2000s.

I think, Cashman is doing the right thing by standing pat unless a respectable deal comes along.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#4569 » by Rich Rane » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:25 am

Torres is no longer a prospect. He's not some bench player and hell, he's not even just an everyday player. He's a 21-year-old All-Star. He's as untouchable as it gets.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#4570 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:58 am

Jus saying...the asking price is that steep for starting pitching and that's why it's vital any MLB develop vs trade/sign.

Two weeks ago, on a Saturday morning I was listening to Anita Marks on ESPN radio and the discussion on deGrom, the Mets front office demanded at least 5 players from the Yankees one of which included Torres...and Cashman basically said, no way.

That didn't surprise me. I mean, what MLB doesn't try to get all they want with initial offers?

Yet, there were callers calling the Yankees and their fans frugal.

Um, really? :lol:

Under King George, the Yankees would be trading for deGrom, giving the Mets anything they wanted then re-signing deGrom to an astronomical player...putting the Yankees in the lux tax + revenue sharing. From the late 90s to the 2000s the Yankees helped the bottom feeders not only stock their farm but also pay their players' salaries.

Time to be a little smarter about this.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#4571 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:04 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Jus saying...the asking price is that steep for starting pitching and that's why it's vital any MLB develop vs trade/sign.

Two weeks ago, on a Saturday morning I was listening to Anita Marks on ESPN radio and the discussion on deGrom, the Mets front office demanded at least 5 players from the Yankees one of which included Torres...and Cashman basically said, no way.

That didn't surprise me. I mean, what MLB doesn't try to get all they want with initial offers?

Under King George, the Yankees would be trading for deGrom, giving the Mets anything they wanted then re-signing deGrom to an astronomical player...putting the Yankees in the lux tax + revenue sharing. From the late 90s to the 2000s the Yankees helped the bottom feeders not only stock their farm but also pay their players' salaries.

And after the Yankees decimated their farm system, deGrom goes on the DL with Tommy John surgery. :wink:
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#4572 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:45 pm

Don't get me wrong, I want the Yankees to win the World Series. Certainly after last season's run, I hunger for an even deeper run but I'm not in the frame of mind where the Yankees have to do it NOW.

There's lots of internal refining needed on this team, some of which can be solved without giving up prospects.

In business, you NEVER trade from a position of weakness. Trading for pitching is a HUGE risk. That's why I prefer free agency if you're hunting for a TOP pitcher.

Someone earlier mentioned, Madison Baumgarner who is a lefty, a demon in the post season, has an expiring contract with a team option. I wonder if the Giants will decline. He's 28...You can get 4 decent yrs from him at a good price.

I look at the Post season like Jack Morris, a pitcher who isn't a Hall of Famer but every team wanted him for the Post season. He's an innings eater. Knows how to pitch. Not a meathead who throws hard all the time.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#4573 » by Mecca » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:03 pm

The Giants would not decline MadBum option for the simple reason that they can pick it up and trade him for a fortune.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#4574 » by Papi_swav » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:23 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Jus saying...the asking price is that steep for starting pitching and that's why it's vital any MLB develop vs trade/sign.

Yea I don't get it, it's like every team is trying to get our best prospects and would rather trade their player to another team for worse prospects. Look at the Machado trade, we could of got him without trading Andujar and Frazier basically but nobody wants to trade their best players to the Yanks because obviously they're haters and don't want to see us win another one.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#4575 » by cuyankees » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Papi_swav wrote:

Yea I don't get it, it's like every team is trying to get our best prospects and would rather trade their player to another team for worse prospects. Look at the Machado trade, we could of got him without trading Andujar and Frazier basically but nobody wants to trade their best players to the Yanks because obviously they're haters and don't want to see us win another one.

It's called leverage, teams know the Yanks are WS contenders and they're hoping they'll go all in and trade its best prospects.

Not trading to a team in your market or division is just foolish and will bite any team in the long run bc that's just egoistical biz instead of smart biz.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,012

Post#4576 » by blue and orange » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:47 am

No sense in trading for a pitcher it would be a waste with the way this lineup wimps out.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,931

Post#4577 » by F N 11 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:03 am

El Gary alwaysssssss clutch.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach

Post#4578 » by blue and orange » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:08 am

Looking like another sweep from TB team becomes mental midgets at Tropicana.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,931

Post#4579 » by F N 11 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:08 am

Sevy you breaking my heart man.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach

Post#4580 » by blue and orange » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:11 am