ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: Official 2018 Yankees Thread 

Post#7261 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:37 am

Whether it's Manny Ramirez or Manny Machado...they're headcases but their talent is undeniable. I prefer the Yankees win without a distraction on their roster but I understand if they do.

The same goes for Bryce Harper...but Scott Boras has a relationship with Cashman.

Yanks need MORE pitching before they can even talk hitting.
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#7262 » by awy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:46 am

they can do both.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#7263 » by GEOLINK » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:51 am

I have a visual etched in my head where Harper and Manny (and possibly Corbin) are being introduced as Yankees in a huge press conference.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#7264 » by GEOLINK » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:49 am

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#7265 » by F N 11 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Here, too, Paxton’s little tweak transformed him into one of MLB’s best pitchers: His strikeout rate since 2016 equals Clayton Kershaw’s, his walk rate is a shade better than Jacob deGrom’s, and his per-pitch whiff rate has risen in each of the past three seasons.

Warming up
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
awy
Sixth Man

Post#7266 » by awy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:12 pm

paxton actually throws one of the very best cutters in all of baseball with both strikeout and weak contact ability. he could always throw that more and be like, the best pitcher.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#7267 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:35 pm

No doubt. Paxton's stuff is unquestionable. I just can't get over, it's Seattle. The SAME franchise who wasn't forthcoming about the extent of Michael Pineda's torn labrum.

Then I was reminded of Cashman's stupidity not thoroughly checking Pineda out...like when Didi went on the DL/off season surgery then it was discovered he had an old injury.

Paxton has injury issues that I hope he's over but one again, the Yankees GM is really good at forgetting some of the most important things before pulling the trigger on a deal. I just miss that former player, former Scout quality that Bob Watson and Stick had. They worked their way up in the system through the process.

Meanwhile....

Looks like Macho Manchado realized how he sounded like a bonehead with the Johnny Hustle comment. Yeah, here's a PRO TIP: Before asking for $400M might want to make sure anything you say can't be misconstrued.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,798

Post#7268 » by Rich Rane » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:34 am

Read on Twitter
awy
Sixth Man

Post#7269 » by awy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:38 am

manny is the much better fit. yankees got a clogged OF/1B/DH spot and only significant positional upgrade spot in the near term is 3B with andujar's defense.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#7270 » by GEOLINK » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:23 am

awy wrote:manny is the much better fit. yankees got a clogged OF/1B/DH spot and only significant positional upgrade spot in the near term is 3B with andujar's defense.

I see it like this.

Stanton is still the everyday DH bar the occasional start in LF/RF on Judge day off.

Is Gardner really going to be our starting LF in 2019? I mean his glove is still good, but can they really rely on his bat?

So LF to me is wide open.

Frazier is trade bait in case we deal for another pitcher. He has those concussion issues that are tricky to depend on.

1B is another option for Harper. I'm not sure on Voit, teams will look at his tapes and pitchers will adjust.

We still need a lefty power bat in this lineup. We can't go willy nilly and sign another Neil Walker in the middle of spring training to be a stop gap.
awy
Sixth Man

Post#7271 » by awy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:31 am

problem with playing harper in the outfield is that he could be a -10 fielder out there.

i'm only ok with it if he's not overpaid because this ownership is clearly budget conscious.
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#7272 » by GEOLINK » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:38 am

awy wrote:problem with playing harper in the outfield is that he could be a -10 fielder out there.

i'm only ok with it if he's not overpaid because this ownership is clearly budget conscious.

I'm okay with his average field if it means we get his bat in the lineup to sandwich between Judge & Stanton.

JD Martinez isn't exactly lighting the world on fire either with his defense for Boston but his bat won them many of games.
awy
Sixth Man

Post#7273 » by awy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:48 am

GEOLINK wrote:
awy wrote:problem with playing harper in the outfield is that he could be a -10 fielder out there.

I'm okay with his average field if it means we get his bat in the lineup to sandwich between Judge & Stanton.

JD Martinez isn't exactly lighting the world on fire either with his defense for Boston but his bat won them many of games.

it's true that harper has really high upside offensively. the consistency tho, hard to figure him out.

im not against him i just think his contract should reflect that inconsistency, rather than him getting paid like the best version he could be.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#7274 » by Mecca » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:32 pm

awy wrote:machado really **** up by saying what he said. it's just a complete PR disaster.

not hustling is fine on routine grounders though it's useless wear and tear.

I don't think Yankees get Machado. Didn't they balk at Robby for same reason?

Speaking of which- I would've added a few mid-level prospects in to switch Ellsbury's contract for Cano's. Would've made so much more sense. Start Robby at 2B until Didi back and move him to 1B after that.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#7275 » by GEOLINK » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:15 pm

Mecca wrote:
awy wrote:machado really **** up by saying what he said. it's just a complete PR disaster.

Speaking of which- I would've added a few mid-level prospects in to switch Ellsbury's contract for Cano's. Would've made so much more sense. Start Robby at 2B until Didi back and move him to 1B after that.

Nope.

They were actually fine with Robbie not running to first base, just like they're fine with Gary not running these days.

The problem with Robbie was that he chose more money.

Cano's contract is still an albatross. I wouldn't trade it for Ellsbury at all. Cano's contract is two years longer than Ellsbury and he will be in his 40-41 age!
Mecca
RealGM

Post#7276 » by Mecca » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:33 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Nope.

They were actually fine with Robbie not running to first base, just like they're fine with Gary not running these days.

Cano's contract is still an albatross. I wouldn't trade it for Ellsbury at all. Cano's contract is two years longer than Ellsbury and he will be in his 40-41 age!

lmao.

Ellsbury has given 0 return. Cano just last year still batted above .300 with an OPS at .845 and would've coasted to another 20/100 season. Cano will go down as one of if not the best 2B of all time and his game will age well.
Brooklyn Nets
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#7277 » by GEOLINK » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:48 pm

Mecca wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Nope.

lmao.

Ellsbury has given 0 return. Cano just last year still batted above .300 with an OPS at .845 and would've coasted to another 20/100 season. Cano will go down as one of if not the best 2B of all time and his game will age well.

That's fine. Cano will most certainly go down as one of the greats, no doubt.

But that contract is still not worth taking in.

The Yankees would be taking in 2 million plus the other 24 million he's owed for three more years with no opt out clause, I believe... what sense would that make?

We could spend that 24 million on someone younger.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#7278 » by Mecca » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:02 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
Mecca wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:Nope.

lmao.

The Yankees would be taking in 2 million plus the other 24 million he's owed for three more years with no opt out clause, I believe... what sense would that make?

Rather have 3 years of production in Cano than a 0 in Ellsbury
Brooklyn Nets
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#7279 » by GEOLINK » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Mecca wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
Mecca wrote:
lmao.

Understandable.

We got bit with Ellsbury.

But that contract is still no bueno. Paying a 40 year old dude 24 million dollars, come on.

Either contracts are trash in general.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#7280 » by Mecca » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:14 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
Mecca wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:That's fine. Cano will most certainly go down as one of the greats, no doubt.

Understandable.

We got bit with Ellsbury.

But that contract is still no bueno. Paying a 40 year old dude 24 million dollars, come on.

Either contracts are trash in general.

Both contracts are trash, but Cano is the far better player and more ROI. Cano can move to 1B in future.
Brooklyn Nets

Return to New York Knicks