ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,790

Re: Official 2018 Yankees Thread 

Post#7421 » by Rich Rane » Wed Dec 5, 2018 6:06 pm

Butch718 wrote:I really wanted Corbin here, but not at 6 years.

Also, there isn't one pitcher on the market that doesn't have question marks. Evoldi is the best pitcher available, and has great stuff. He has proven that he can handle the pressure and can throw straight up heat. Yeah, I'm taking my chances. A lot of you guys want them to improve the staff, but you aren't willing to take risks. Sorry, everyone available comes with risks. Give me the guy that's coming off strong since TJS, and was dominant during the playoffs.

I liked the Paxton trade and he's another question mark with his own injuries in a rotation full of question marks. If we have to roll into the season with Loaisiga, German, Abreu, and Adams fighting for a spot, I'm okay with it. I'd also like to look for a trade even if it means trading more of the farm for someone even older than Eovaldi or Corbin. Hell, as far as risks go, I'd still look into signing Machado or Harper.
awy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,341

Post#7422 » by awy » Wed Dec 5, 2018 6:10 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
awy wrote:eovaldi isn't getting a long term deal though. everyone knows his injury history. if he is getting a long deal it'll be lower in value. it's a fine situation as long as the risk is properly priced.

Yankees and Phillies despite not getting into a bidding war, could get into one here if they view Eovaldi the next best free agent pitcher. I don't expect any exorbitant amount, but with the Red Sox joining this one, Eovaldi could end up getting paid more/longer than what he should.

With our luck with pitching injuries (like losing a pitcher to TJS the last 5 consecutive seasons), I'd rather just stay away.

eovaldi has an extremely small track record of success. there's also the trade market as an alternative. don't think he's going to get a big long term deal regardless of the demand.

yankees should just sign 2 starters and have a 6 man rotation. eventually some pitcher(s) will go down.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,574

Post#7423 » by Butch718 » Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:11 pm

Rich Rane wrote:

Also, there isn't one pitcher on the market that doesn't have question marks. Evoldi is the best pitcher available, and has great stuff. He has proven that he can handle the pressure and can throw straight up heat. Yeah, I'm taking my chances. A lot of you guys want them to improve the staff, but you aren't willing to take risks. Sorry, everyone available comes with risks. Give me the guy that's coming off strong since TJS, and was dominant during the playoffs.

I liked the Paxton trade and he's another question mark with his own injuries in a rotation full of question marks. If we have to roll into the season with Loaisiga, German, Abreu, and Adams fighting for a spot, I'm okay with it. I'd also like to look for a trade even if it means trading more of the farm for someone even older than Eovaldi or Corbin. Hell, as far as risks go, I'd still look into signing Machado or Harper.

I would be comfortable with Happ and Evoldi, because I don't trust CC for a full season. Get an established 6 man rotation, and roll with the youngsters when injuries happen.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#7424 » by BowlRips » Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:18 pm

Butch718 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

I would be comfortable with Happ and Evoldi, because I don't trust CC for a full season. Get an established 6 man rotation, and roll with the youngsters when injuries happen.

really not interested in Happ or Evoldi.. I know what I am going to get from them - inconsistent performance. Can't go into the playoffs again with a rotation filled with guys you dont trust. Not saying Corbin would be one of those guys but getting someone like Kluber who would be someone I am comfortable handing the ball to in an elimination guy would make a world of a difference.
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#7425 » by GEOLINK » Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:21 pm

Boone was on the Michael Kay show a couple of minutes ago and had no problems about a player not running to first.

We’re pretty much walking away with Machado from the Winter Meetings in a week’s time.

Hopefully Harper as well.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#7426 » by Butch718 » Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:26 pm

BowlRips wrote:
Butch718 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

really not interested in Happ or Evoldi.. I know what I am going to get from them - inconsistent performance. Can't go into the playoffs again with a rotation filled with guys you dont trust. Not saying Corbin would be one of those guys but getting someone like Kluber who would be someone I am comfortable handing the ball to in an elimination guy would make a world of a difference.

Yeah, except that question mark comes with every option on the table in FA, including CC, and the youngsters. You can't really trust any of them 100%. None of them are aces. But at least with Evoldi I know we're getting a guy that can handle the pressure and has great stuff. I'll take my chances with him. Also with Happ, he's a good 5th starter to have for the regular season.

Also, I wouldn't mind getting Kluber, but at the same time we have to be realistic here, we're probably not going to get him. I'm looking at realistic options for right now.

All you fans want to improve, without actually taking risks. Everyone comes wit a question mark.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#7427 » by BowlRips » Wed Dec 5, 2018 8:33 pm

GEOLINK wrote:Boone was on the Michael Kay show a couple of minutes ago and had no problems about a player not running to first.

We’re pretty much walking away with Machado from the Winter Meetings in a week’s time.

Hopefully Harper as well.

sign Manny
Andujar for Kluber
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#7428 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Dec 5, 2018 9:19 pm

When GM Brian Cashman dismissed Joe Girardi in favor of Aaron Boone, he thought he was getting Terry Francona. Instead he hired the second coming of Buddy Bell. Anytime Boon is on a sports talk show, he might as well be talking about his Star Wars collection because I sure as hell don't value his insight after he mismanaged the Yankees last season and pretty much was a ZERO when trying to figure out Gary Sanchez's massive regression.

No manager is going to get upset if their team owner funnels out nearly a billion dollars for Bryce Harper and Manny Machado.

In my humble opinion, the Yankees don't need those guys. This young team just needs to hit better and they HAVE all the talent to do that. It's more a matter of motivating them. Last season, I saw Boone massaging their man-ginas than pushing them to the next level.

We'll see which way Bean Counter Hal Steinbrenner goes...
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#7429 » by MaseInYourFace » Wed Dec 5, 2018 9:52 pm

Also, there isn't one pitcher on the market that doesn't have question marks. Evoldi is the best pitcher available, and has great stuff. He proved that he can handle the pressure and can throw straight up heat. Yeah, I'm taking my chances. A lot of you guys want them to improve the staff, but you aren't willing to take risks. Sorry, everyone available comes with risks. Give me the guy that's coming off strong since TJS, and was dominant during the playoffs.

Plus Eovaldi has been here before and knows the AL well.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7430 » by Rich Rane » Wed Dec 5, 2018 10:15 pm

Goldschmidt to the Cards. Would've loved him here, but I know talks were never serious. Still, I'm all about giving Voit a chance (or moving Andujar there).

Hey Arizona, wanna collect insurance on Ellsbury's contract for Greinke? :lol:
awy
Sixth Man

Post#7431 » by awy » Wed Dec 5, 2018 11:23 pm

goldy is if anything underrated. really good contact ability for that power. his stadium was pretty bad for hitting as well. if you ignore the first couple months he was top 5 hitter.

yankees seem to value voit quite a bit, not willing to go too hard on 1B options. it's not looking good for team harper.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#7432 » by Butch718 » Wed Dec 5, 2018 11:41 pm

Voit is another Shane Spencer. They need to seriously re-evaluate their 1B situation because you cannot go into the season with him and Bird as your options.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#7433 » by Butch718 » Wed Dec 5, 2018 11:41 pm

Rich Rane wrote:Goldschmidt to the Cards. Would've loved him here, but I know talks were never serious. Still, I'm all about giving Voit a chance (or moving Andujar there).

Aren't the Yankees on his no no list?
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,712

Post#7434 » by ccvle » Thu Dec 6, 2018 12:02 am

Didnt realize that eovaldi is younger than Corbin
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7435 » by Rich Rane » Thu Dec 6, 2018 12:17 am

Butch718 wrote:Voit is another Shane Spencer. They need to seriously re-evaluate their 1B situation because you cannot go into the season with him and Bird as your options.

I'm not expecting another Ruthian run from Voit, but I'll give him a chance to win the job from Bird. Still would like to see if Andujar could play their full time as well.

Butch718 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:Goldschmidt to the Cards. Would've loved him here, but I know talks were never serious. Still, I'm all about giving Voit a chance (or moving Andujar there).

Aren't the Yankees on his no no list?

Rumored. If we are, he could still be traded here, but only if he signs off on the trade.
awy
Sixth Man

Post#7436 » by awy » Thu Dec 6, 2018 12:29 am

voit hit the ball incredibly hard very often last year. also great on base skill. he certainly deserves a shot. i expect a 135 wrc+
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#7437 » by GEOLINK » Thu Dec 6, 2018 12:43 am

Read on Twitter

4/68 estimated.

I'd say let the Sox spend on their postseason hero. If it works out for them, good for them.

Certainly not confident in Eovaldi for a full season or his arm/shoulder for multiple years.
awy
Sixth Man

Post#7438 » by awy » Thu Dec 6, 2018 12:58 am

4/68 is a big number for eovaldi. oof
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7439 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Dec 6, 2018 1:01 am

Isn't Greinke scared of NYC?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#7440 » by MaseInYourFace » Thu Dec 6, 2018 1:04 am

2 years with an option was fair for Eovaldi. 4 is too much.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard

Return to New York Knicks