ImageImageImageImageImage

Jeff Hornacek considering turning the PG position back over to Jarrett Jack

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Re: Jeff Hornacek considering turning the PG position back over to Jarrett Jack 

Post#121 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Mar 9, 2018 4:23 am

I hate when he communicates almost as much as I hate his coaching style. Cut his safety blanket (Jarrett Jack) then cut his vocal chords.
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#122 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Mar 9, 2018 3:11 pm

2010 wrote:
Jeff Hornacek wrote:The Knicks are rolling with their 25-and-under point guards — rookie Frank Ntilikina, 19, Emmanuel Mudiay, 22, and Trey Burke, 25 — for better or worse.

“There’s a difference between tanking and trying to look at the future,’’ Hornacek said after practice Thursday at Marquette’s facility. “And we made trades to bring these guys in. We brought Trey in from the G-League and Emmanuel from another team. That’s a totally separate thought process. We’re seeing if they can play for us.’’

No change is in store Friday against the Bucks when this 0-3 trip concludes.

Hornacek said Jack could help stabilize the offense, but if that’s the best chance to steal a win in Milwaukee, it isn’t happening, while Lee will miss a second straight game because of a family-related death.

“It’s the same,’’ Hornacek said of the lineup. “We’re trying to evaluate our three young point guards. Moving forward, we got to make decisions on those guys. We have to play them as many minutes as possible. Jarrett has done a great job for us this year. But we’re at the point of the season we need to take a look at those guys and give them bigger minutes. It’s hard to judge them on five minutes here and there.”

Silver opened a can of worms when he ordered the Bulls to play Lopez and Holiday, both ex-Knicks and far from stars. The Bulls will comply rather than look at their young players.

“We still want to try to win games,’’ Hornacek said. “We want to see if our young guys can help us win games. It’s part of the evaluation process. It’s not like, ‘Oh heck, if we put them out there we’re going to lose games.’  We still want to try to win and see if these guys can step up and help us win.

“I’m not sure Adam told them what lineup to play. He probably is telling them they got to play. You can put them out there for 10 minutes. It’s meaningless for us. Because that’s not what we’re doing.”

In a recent memo warning teams about tanking, Silver attempted to recognize rebuilding efforts. It is a fine line.

“If we ever received evidence that players or coaches were attempting to lose or otherwise taking steps to cause any game to result otherwise than on its competitive merits, that conduct would be met with the swiftest and harshest response possible from the league office,” Silver wrote.

Hornacek said Mills never discussed the memo with him. Silver felt the Bulls crossed the line, which is debatable. Bulls general manager Jim Paxson stated they’d sit Lopez, Holiday and Jerian Grant, largely journeymen, to look at younger players David Nwaba, Cameron Payne and Cristiano Felicio.

Also debatable to Hornacek is why Silver needed to wait to change the lottery. In 2019, the worst-five teams will have the same odds of landing the No. 1 pick.

“It’s gotten worse the last four, five, six, seven years,’’ Hornacek said of teams content to lose for the chance at a better lottery seed. “Maybe that’s why they made adjustments. I don’t know why they didn’t make adjustments to it and implement it this year. I don’t know why they waited a year. They have what they’re going to do. Just put it in now. Maybe teams are trying to get one last crack at it. Teams realize difference-makers in this league come from the top five picks.’’

The 76ers forced Silver to act — perhaps not wanting other franchises to adapt former Philadelphia general manager Sam Hinkie’s tactics. The Sixers became an NBA embarrassment for several years to build through high lottery picks. After records of 19-63, 18-64, 10-72 and 28-54, the Sixers have arrived this season — or at least are seven games over .500.

“Players, coaches, it’s tough to go through that,’’ Hornacek said. “It takes a while. You’re not going to always hit that draft pick. This year, you get Donovan Mitchell at 13. You can find players like that but [GMs] play the percentages.’’

https://nypost.com/2018/03/08/knicks-coach-to-nba-leave-us-alone-were-not-tanking/

all makes sense to me.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,376
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Re: Jeff Hornacek considering turning the PG position back over to Jarrett Jack [UPDATE P. 6] 

Post#123 » by BKlutch » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:24 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:Q: What do you get when you combine The New York Knicks with an unlimited bankroll, a legacy as an original NBA team with two championships, the lure of playing in MSG and the star power of New York City?

A: The New York Knicks

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Re: Jeff Hornacek considering turning the PG position back over to Jarrett Jack [UPDATE P. 6] 

Post#124 » by Nazrmohamed » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:32 pm

On one hand I hate it.

Actually there is only one hand. I hate it. But with that said you can have all the youth in the world at some point that youth has to actually look good. I gotta just say it, our pgs all suck.

They all suck and while I would love to focus on a wing or stretch 4, I am now forced to consider either Young or Sexton if they were available to draft. And that just shows how much of a dumpster fire that position is for us. I should have that box checked off by now.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#125 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:53 pm

The Bulls was tanking. They flat out wasn't playing productive healthy players. Lopez and Holiday were inactive for like 5 games straight. The Knicks aren't doing that at all. Silver isn't gonna approach the Knicks and ask "why isn't Jarrett jack playing".
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,309

Post#126 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:25 pm

Update...page 6. I read page 6. It sucked. What was the update? Worst birthday ever.
:beer: RIP mags
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,692

Post#127 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:35 am

el13adnino wrote:Don’t matter, our tank is strong

Not strong enough to gain any ground.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,692

Post#128 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:37 am

The reason why the Mudiay-Frank backcourt hasn't be good is bc of Mudiay. He makes everyone else on the court worse, not better. And it gets worse when Jeff has him in the game.
Free Palestine
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#129 » by BBALLER4FR » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:42 am

Thugger HBC wrote:The Bulls was tanking. They flat out wasn't playing productive healthy players. Lopez and Holiday were inactive for like 5 games straight. The Knicks aren't doing that at all. Silver isn't gonna approach the Knicks and ask "why isn't Jarrett jack playing".

No one should ever...Ever ask that question. Not seriously. Not for fun.

Spoiler:
EVER! :D
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
JSmoraga
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#130 » by JSmoraga » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:25 am

It is quite telling that our tanking team and our win-now team only have a Jarret Jack for a difference.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#131 » by GONYK » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:55 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:The reason why the Mudiay-Frank backcourt hasn't be good is bc of Mudiay. He makes everyone else on the court worse, not better. And it gets worse when Jeff has him in the game.

Depends on your definition of "worse".

I think Manny is out there doing the Lord's work.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,131

Post#132 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:10 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:The Bulls was tanking. They flat out wasn't playing productive healthy players. Lopez and Holiday were inactive for like 5 games straight. The Knicks aren't doing that at all. Silver isn't gonna approach the Knicks and ask "why isn't Jarrett jack playing".

Courtney Lee is a similar level to Rolo IMO.

Edit: I guess they played him yesterday. Perhaps that was a "memo received" sort of thing.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,999

Post#133 » by god shammgod » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:31 pm

adam silver is no dummy and he lives in ny. so he knows the knicks. he knows you can play whoever you want on this team and they're still losing. there is no winning lineup to put out there. so there aint nothing to warn us about.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#134 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm

god shammgod wrote:adam silver is no dummy and he lives in ny. so he knows the knicks. he knows you can play whoever you want on this team and they're still losing. there is no winning lineup to put out there. so there aint nothing to warn us about.

It would be awesome to hear the line "the Knicks ain't ****" come out of Silver's mouth.
BAF Clippers

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#135 » by GONYK » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Capn'O wrote:

Edit: I guess they played him yesterday. Perhaps that was a "memo received" sort of thing.

Lee returned after missing a few games due to his father having a major health scare, I think. Not a tank move.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#136 » by Capn'O » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:35 pm

GONYK wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Lee returned after missing a few games due to his father having a major health scare, I think. Not a tank move.

Didn't realize. Shows how tuned in I am lately.
BAF Clippers

Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: Jeff Hornacek considering turning the PG position back over to Jarrett Jack [UPDATE P. 6] 

Post#137 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Capn'O wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

Yeah, Lee is playing, less and not starting, but playing.

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: RE: Re: Jeff Hornacek considering turning the PG position back over to Jarrett Jack [UPDATE P. 6] 

Post#138 » by GONYK » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:49 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
GONYK wrote:

He'll be back in the SL, according to Jeff.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,672

Post#139 » by mpharris36 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:50 pm

GONYK wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

yeah that was probably just a 1 game off the bench thing because he missed a few games. No doubt frank goes back to the bench. It's such a jeff thing to do.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Jeff Hornacek considering turning the PG position back over to Jarrett Jack [UPDATE P. 6] 

Post#140 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:52 pm

GONYK wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

That sucks.

Return to New York Knicks