ImageImageImageImageImage

Knicks | Mavs PG: Tank Championship — EPIC Edition

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,189

Re: Knicks | Mavs PG: Tank Championship — EPIC Edition 

Post#301 » by Capn'O » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:40 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
JamesConway wrote:
K P 6 wrote:yup!! Look at JJ's numbers. He gets busy in limited time.

Watching Barea shoot your franchise out of Doncic/Ayton in late March is the ultimate horror show.

I can't even bring up the energy to smack you guys around for the Dennis-stuff. The Mavs are the worst run team in the NBA.

Getting fined for publicly bragging about the tank and then go 4-6 after the ASB is just nuts. Carslisle actively sabotaged our lineups to make sure we get a top 3 pick for the majority of the year but then the Cuban-interview/fine happened and everything is different.

Our complete lineup setup is different ever since we played Utah 1-2 weeks ago. We're not actively shooting for a pick anymore.

Re the Mavs board: over here at RealGM there aren't many Mavs-fans anymore but we have separate boards and they are all in meltdown-mode.

As a DAL fan can you verify that your FO interest in drafting Frank was real? Some conflicting stories out there

I mean, there's the picture.

They were obviously at least interested.

I think the truth is that a lot of teams in our range were having similar discussions internally to the ones we're having on this board. DSjr is obviously more physically ready now but has a ways to go to refine his game to overcome his ultimately small frame. Frank has incredible defensive awareness but is a few years off from being physically there and you can't guarantee that it all comes together.

There's not necessarily a right answer there in that in both cases you're making a gamble on something that isn't already there and hinging on personality traits and your development staff
Spoiler:
other than "hey, this Donovan guy really impressed in workouts."
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,682

Post#302 » by mpharris36 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:41 pm

Greenie wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Greenie wrote:

I really don’t give a damn about that when I’m talking about his handle.

but who ever came at you for talking about his handle? I sure as hell haven't. He absolutely needs to improve his handle.

You haven’t come at me directly.

Last game Echelon said Frank can’t get pass anyone after you said he locked down Derozen and you proceeded to post Franks +\-

you have the timing wrong.

I said Frank is doing a good job stopping DeRozan on a few plays (just acknowledging his solid play on that end). Echelon then proceeded to say it doesn't matter because he can't score on DeRozan saying that Frank is still garbage. Then i proceeded to say that Frank wasn't garbage and try to back it up with stats.

I never have said frank doesn't need to work on his handle and ability to attack the rim if he wants to be the player we hope he can. I was simply complimenting him on his defense effort vs one of the toughest covers in the league...echelon is the one that started the unnecessary conversation bringing it back to his offense which EVERYONE acknowledges he has to improve!
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#303 » by Dantares » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:45 pm

eagle54 wrote:
shtolky wrote:And there is legitimate reason for optimism. Porzingis is not the only young stud. Dallas coach Rick Carlisle was near effusive in his praise of Ntilikina.

“New York has got a foundation piece with him. He’s not putting up big numbers but he is an excellent defender. His recognition of situations and his shooting, all that stuff is going to take quantum leaps,” Carlisle said. “I was really impressed with him when we played them back in January.”

Not a surprise this interview, Mavs scouted Frank as much as NYC last year and probably tought Frank will be available at 9. So maybe it was their first choice.

Lots of guys are impatient (future role player ) but when I see Pop, Carlisle (not bad coaches :) ) and some others guys ( Klay for example) said good things about Frank, I think we can be reassured about this choice if we develop him correctly.

Give him a couple summers of strength training and that will help him improve his finishing and shooting. Hardaway Jr was a string bean when he got here and now he can take the contact on those drives and still finish.

Frank's form looks great he just need better core and leg strength. His shot looks flat(due to tired legs) but what is good is that he is hitting the front of the rim on his misses. That means he is a straight shooter and that the adjustments he needs to make will be much easier than if he was hitting the right or left side of the rim constantly.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

eagle54
Pro Prospect
And1: 502

Post#304 » by eagle54 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Capn'O wrote:

I think the truth is that a lot of teams in our range were having similar discussions internally to the ones we're having on this board. DSjr is obviously more physically ready now but has a ways to go to refine his game to overcome his ultimately small frame. Frank has incredible defensive awareness but is a few years off from being physically there and you can't guarantee that it all comes together.

There's not necessarily a right answer there in that in both cases you're making a gamble on something that isn't already there and hinging on personality traits and your development staff [spoiler]other than "hey, this Donovan guy really impressed in workouts."

His french agent said in medias during the french PO Dallas and NYC are the two the most interested by Frank. Not a secret in France and lots of french fans have hoped it will be taken by the Mavs because there were afraid by knicks environment (and the impatient fans).
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#305 » by dakomish23 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:50 pm

Capn'O wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
JamesConway wrote:Watching Barea shoot your franchise out of Doncic/Ayton in late March is the ultimate horror show.

I can't even bring up the energy to smack you guys around for the Dennis-stuff. The Mavs are the worst run team in the NBA.

Getting fined for publicly bragging about the tank and then go 4-6 after the ASB is just nuts. Carslisle actively sabotaged our lineups to make sure we get a top 3 pick for the majority of the year but then the Cuban-interview/fine happened and everything is different.

Our complete lineup setup is different ever since we played Utah 1-2 weeks ago. We're not actively shooting for a pick anymore.

Re the Mavs board: over here at RealGM there aren't many Mavs-fans anymore but we have separate boards and they are all in meltdown-mode.

As a DAL fan can you verify that your FO interest in drafting Frank was real? Some conflicting stories out there

I mean, there's the picture.

There's not necessarily a right answer there in that in both cases you're making a gamble on something that isn't already there and hinging on personality traits and your development staff
Spoiler:
other than "hey, this Donovan guy really impressed in workouts."

Seems unlikely that they weren’t interested but wanted to see what a DAL fan thought
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#306 » by mpharris36 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:53 pm

eagle54 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

There's not necessarily a right answer there in that in both cases you're making a gamble on something that isn't already there and hinging on personality traits and your development staff [spoiler]other than "hey, this Donovan guy really impressed in workouts."

His french agent said in medias during the french PO Dallas and NYC are the two the most interested by Frank. Not a secret in France and lots of french fans have hoped it will be taken by the Mavs because there were afraid by knicks environment (and the impatient fans).

also add in the fact Dallas and Cuban were kicking themselves for not drafting Giannis. They had to be interested in the next projectable euro. I think it was this simple if we picked DSjr they were picking Frank hands down.

ROSTER

JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#307 » by JamesConway » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:54 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
JamesConway wrote:
K P 6 wrote:yup!! Look at JJ's numbers. He gets busy in limited time.

Watching Barea shoot your franchise out of Doncic/Ayton in late March is the ultimate horror show.

No idea. Could have been smokescreen, could have been real interest. Simply impossible to judge from the outside looking in. And of course they would never throw their own guy under the bus by saying they'd wanted anoter guy ahead of him.

What I can tell you:

- Dennis is the perfect type of PG to play the 1 in our system. Quick, can break down defenses, can score, lots of potential in the PnR.

- OTOH Frank could have played the role of the other guard perfectly, too. Carslisle loves to have a secondary ballhandler out there. Ntilikina would have fit the mold with his mix of length/PG skills/shooting/defense. Basically a more system-friendly SG than what Matthews is offering. Would have been a huge building block for our team, too.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,515

Post#308 » by KnicksGod » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Cuban's plastic facial surgery gives me the heebie-jeebies.
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#309 » by Triple C » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Read on Twitter
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#310 » by dakomish23 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:02 pm

JamesConway wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
JamesConway wrote:Watching Barea shoot your franchise out of Doncic/Ayton in late March is the ultimate horror show.

No idea. Could have been smokescreen, could have been real interest. Simply impossible to judge from the outside looking in. And of course they would never throw their own guy under the bus by saying they'd wanted anoter guy ahead of him.

What I can tell you:

- Dennis is the perfect type of PG to play the 1 in our system. Quick, can break down defenses, can score, lots of potential in the PnR.

- OTOH Frank could have played the role of the other guard perfectly, too. Carslisle loves to have a secondary ballhandler out there. Ntilikina would have fit the mold with his mix of length/PG skills/shooting/defense. Basically a more system-friendly SG than what Matthews is offering. Would have been a huge building block for our team, too.

Thx. I do agree that DSJ with The Warlock (Carlisle) should produce great results. I expect that to be a fruitful relationship for years to come.

Hopefully we can get that type of coaching for Frank soon.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#311 » by mpharris36 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

no way! impossible frank can't improve

ROSTER

JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,435

Post#312 » by JXL » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 pm

If Jeff is coaching to get fired, unless Perry and Mills were there, he's doing a good job of it.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,974

Post#313 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:31 pm

JamesConway wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

What I can tell you:

smokescreen trip to france and smokescreen hire of strasgbourg HC vincent collet?

no way to tell where frank was on their draft board... but all of that to feign interest in a draft pick sounds like quite a reach.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,070

Post#314 » by GONYK » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:47 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well, maybe not defensively, since he's already the best backcourt PnR defender in the league :lol:
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#315 » by mpharris36 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:50 pm

GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well, maybe not defensively, since he's already the best backcourt PnR defender in the league :lol:

points only matter in the game...didn't you know that? It doesn't matter if you can't defend or do it efficiently just straight points! So sorry Frank will suck forever....

ROSTER

JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#316 » by JamesConway » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:50 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
JamesConway wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

What I can tell you:

smokescreen trip to france and smokescreen hire of strasgbourg HC vincent collet?

no way to tell where frank was on their draft board... but all of that to feign interest in a draft pick sounds like quite a reach.

Yes no way to tell. Re your post though:

- there are certainly worse places to spend a week of your summer at than Venice

- Collet actually never started the job as our SL coach. Quickly after draft night was done it was announced that he's doing something else. Mavs then had another person coach their SL team (Dennis' former coach actually)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/mark-cuban-mavs-drafted-ntilikina-knicks-didn-article-1.3740941
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#317 » by MP4LIFE » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:55 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

points only matter in the game...didn't you know that? It doesn't matter if you can't defend or do it efficiently just straight points! So sorry Frank will suck forever....

If you haven't noticed by now, we have a good chunk of low basketball IQ posters here that reflect our low basketball IQ roster.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,974

Post#318 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:57 pm

JamesConway wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
JamesConway wrote:No idea. Could have been smokescreen, could have been real interest. Simply impossible to judge from the outside looking in. And of course they would never throw their own guy under the bus by saying they'd wanted anoter guy ahead of him.

What I can tell you:

Yes no way to tell. Re your post though:

- there are certainly worse places to spend a week of your summer at than Venice

- Collet actually never started the job as our SL coach. Quickly after draft night was done it was announced that he's doing something else. Mavs then had another person coach their SL team (Dennis' former coach actually)

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/mark-cuban-mavs-drafted-ntilikina-knicks-didn-article-1.3740941

i'm aware. all the more reason to believe it was a move to make frank comfortable.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,058

Post#319 » by vallen » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:36 pm

He should have been a Maverick.
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#320 » by Triple C » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to New York Knicks