ImageImageImageImageImage

Coach Clifford rips Hernangomez's game, Hernangomez rips Knicks' player development!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RealGM
And1: 39,138

Coach Clifford rips Hernangomez's game, Hernangomez rips Knicks' player development! 

Post#1 » by 2010 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:59 pm

Hornets coach Steve Clifford gave a candid scouting report of his center, Willy Hernangomez, who seems to appreciate the brutal honesty coming from his new taskmaster.

Clifford explained in detail about the Spanish center’s need to improve shooting range and defensive reads because he’s “not a high-flier” and said he wants him to be rid of his image as a strictly back-to-the-basket big man. He also hinted at improving Hernangomez’s work ethic.

“If you were in one place and didn’t play much, if you want to play more in the next place, I’d say work harder and kill myself,” Clifford said at the Hornets shootaround at the Players Association’s midtown headquarters. “The reality is he wasn’t playing here for a reason. He’s got to change things.”

Clifford, an ex-Knicks assistant under Jeff Van Gundy, said he told Hernangomez all of it in a chat last week.

For his part, Hernangomez sees a stricter climate in Charlotte than with the Knicks with a chance to better expand his skills.

“He tells you things that’s going on and what he wants,” Hernangomez said of Clifford. “He wants you to improve if you want to play. It’s very clear. Here everybody follows rules, defense and offense. [In New York], it was a little more free. I’m really surprised when I came here to see the difference.”

Hernangomez, 23, requested a trade before Feb. 8’s deadline. He was disgruntled at being out of the rotation after becoming a first-team All-Rookie last season. But Clifford has played him in just nine games, giving him six DNPs. He’s averaging just 4.1 minutes per game

“He’s not up to speed on what we’re doing to play a lot,” Clifford said. “It’s been a little bit of a struggle for him. He’s smart, but he’s not this high-flier, phenomenal, natural athlete able to make up ground. He’s got to be on top of things, especially on the defensive end. If he’s not detailed defensively, he’s not that [athletic] guy.”

While the Knicks’ new regime prides itself on player development, Hernangomez has found the learning environment finer in Charlotte.

“You see my warmups before the game,” Hernangomez said. “With the Knicks, low post, banks. Here I shoot 3s, floaters — a lot more free to do more stuff. Nobody tells you you can’t do it. I think it will be great place for me to keep improving.”

Enes Kanter said the Knicks traded “a young Marc Gasol,” but [Knicks] brass saw what Clifford sees: an old-school, low-post center who doesn’t defend well in space — the NBA’s new mantra for centers.

“To be an every-night player, and I’ve told him this, he’s got to improve his shooting,” Clifford said. “He is right now, in my opinion, a back-to-the-basket player who can pass. But the reality is his passing doesn’t come into play until they have to get close to him and know he’s not going to knock down a shot. And he’s not a knockdown shooter.”

Now here comes the part where he starts living off his teammate's / friend's name again... :lol:

Hernangomez hoped to see the rehabbing Porzingis at Saturday’s game. He huddled with Porzingis the night of Feb. 6, after KP returned from his MRI exam with news of his torn ACL. Hernangomez went back to Porzingis’ apartment, calling it “the worst night of my life.”

“It was a special moment between him and me,” Hernangomez said. “I was surprised how positive he was. His mind is right.”

Hernangomez and Porzingis stay in close contact.

“What do you think?” Hernangomez said when asked Porzingis’ reaction to his trade. “His best friend is no longer here.”

https://nypost.com/2018/03/17/willy-hernangomezs-new-coach-gets-brutally-honest-and-big-man-loves-it/

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Re: Coach Clifford rips Hernangomez's game, Hernangomez rips Knicks' player development! 

Post#2 » by MP4LIFE » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:05 pm

Hernangomez isn't very good but I don't doubt he built up lazy qualities on this team.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,264
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Re: Coach Clifford rips Hernangomez's game, Hernangomez rips Knicks' player development! 

Post#3 » by BKlutch » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:05 pm

Nothing unexpected. Just don't know if Willy Billy will ever amount to much, even with good coaching. But maybe if he works hard.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#4 » by NYKHardKnock » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:06 pm

Willy is such a hack, I can't stand him. Instead of working hard, he talks so much. The kid has the potiental to be good, nothing great, but good. Which is why I'm not upset over it.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#5 » by Red Vines » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:11 pm

That's gold. Get a coach in here with some job security and they'll tell the truth about these players.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Post#6 » by Red Vines » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:17 pm

^Should also note, Begley tweeted this:

Willy Hernangomez said he had no problem with the way Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek communicated. He said he and Hornacek have a great relationship.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#7 » by F N 11 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:22 pm

Yeah these type of big men are done. ,
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#8 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Willy was shooting 3s in warmups all the time. Whoever runs the Knicks snapchat account would constantly show him shooting 3s from the corner. So i dont know what hes talking about.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
RealGM

Post#9 » by 2010 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:45 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:Willy was shooting 3s in warmups all the time. Whoever runs the Knicks snapchat account would constantly show him shooting 3s from the corner. So i dont know what hes talking about.

Cuz he a bich and that's what biches do. Make schit up that isn't rational or true.

BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,175

Post#10 » by BBALLER4FR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:51 pm

Is Willy still talking? Stay down big man! Stay down.
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,432

Post#11 » by god shammgod » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:00 pm

K P 6 wrote:Yeah these type of big men are done. ,

exactly. if you can't defend or take an outside shot, you're not much use. they're utility players off the bench now. i been said it...willy aint sh*t.
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#12 » by EchelonNYK » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:01 pm

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#13 » by blueNorange » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:04 pm

For his part, Hernangomez sees a stricter climate in Charlotte than with the Knicks with a chance to better expand his skills.

“He tells you things that’s going on and what he wants,” Hernangomez said of Clifford. “He wants you to improve if you want to play. It’s very clear. Here everybody follows rules, defense and offense. [In New York], it was a little more free. I’m really surprised when I came here to see the difference.”

so new york was more free to do what you want, and charlotte is more strict.

but ...

While the Knicks’ new regime prides itself on player development, Hernangomez has found the learning environment finer in Charlotte.

“You see my warmups before the game,” Hernangomez said. “With the Knicks, low post, banks. Here I shoot 3s, floaters — a lot more free to do more stuff. Nobody tells you you can’t do it. I think it will be great place for me to keep improving.”

so is charlotte also 'more free' or strict?

i swear willy is the biggest scrub that's never done nothing in nba to talk so much chit.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#14 » by Marty McFly » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:06 pm

I've said it before, but i really want the knicks to hire Penny as a player developer in the worst way. and hopefully the heir to HC position.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#15 » by blueNorange » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:06 pm

willy to luka "i'm your bff, trust me kristaps is second"

willy to kristaps "i'm your bff, trust me luka is second"

yet to kristaps and luka, willy isn't even their first, second, third, or tenth best friend.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,452

Post#16 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Jeff called him a pussy. What more does one need to know?
Free Palestine
RealGM

Post#17 » by 2010 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:22 pm

blueNorange wrote:

so new york was more free to do what you want, and charlotte is more strict.

but ...

so is charlotte also 'more free' or strict?

i swear willy is the biggest scrub that's never done nothing in nba to talk so much chit.

Also, to take it one step further. If "New York was more free" and Willy chose not to take the initiative to work on his defense, 3pt shot himself, as well as floaters, or volunteer for a G League stint to get reps...then it just proves the theory he is a lazy lil bratty bich.

Even if the culture of development sucks here, he took no pride in developing himself while here or during his play in the European Championships.

Good riddance!

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,596

Post#18 » by Capn'O » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:24 pm

:lol: Clifford ripped him a new one
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,227

Post#19 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:05 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Jeff called him a pussy. What more does one need to know?

Jeff called KP a pussy.
:beer: RIP mags
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#20 » by dakomish23 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:10 pm

god shammgod wrote:
K P 6 wrote:Yeah these type of big men are done. ,

exactly. if you can't defend or take an outside shot, you're not much use. they're utility players off the bench now. i been said it...willy aint sh*t.

So how do you feel about our starting C
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks