ImageImageImageImageImage

Coach Clifford rips Hernangomez's game, Hernangomez rips Knicks' player development!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,640

Re: Coach Clifford rips Hernangomez's game, Hernangomez rips Knicks' player development! 

Post#21 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Jeff called him a pussy. What more does one need to know?

Jeff called KP a pussy.

That's Jeff's go-to insult. :lol:
Free Palestine
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,686

Re: Coach Clifford rips Hernangomez's game, Hernangomez rips Knicks' player development! 

Post#22 » by shtolky » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:34 pm

Willy "rips" Knicks player development? Hilarious. He did no such thing. Who cares about Willy. He wasn't playing here and so far he isn't playing there. He's their problem now.
xxrainnn
Lead Assistant
And1: 173

Post#23 » by xxrainnn » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:35 pm

Willy sounds like a moron. Talkin’ ish about his old team, meanwhile he’s still racking up DNPs and his new coach is basically calling him a scrub. GTFOH B
RealGM
And1: 39,214

Post#24 » by 2010 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:36 pm

Red Vines wrote:^Should also note, Begley tweeted this:

Willy Hernangomez said he had no problem with the way Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek communicated. He said he and Hornacek have a great relationship.

Direct contradiction to his quotes. Which questioned a lack of communication and development. So if he wasn't criticizing Hornacek in his effort to schit on the Knicks culture, leadership and development, then who was he criticizing? Mills (the guy who is responsible for him being drafted into the NBA and traded to the Knicks via the Sixers); or Perry?

If it is Perry, maybe he is butthurt that he traded for Kanter shortly after his hire.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#25 » by KnickFan33 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Wait... So Willy is saying he had to be told he needed to improve to play everyday? He couldn’t figure that out on his own?
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#26 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Willy really isn't very smart. Also not a good player either. Glad he's gone and someone else's problem now. Clifford is the man for calling this entitled bum out.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#27 » by F N 11 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:43 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
K P 6 wrote:Yeah these type of big men are done. ,

exactly. if you can't defend or take an outside shot, you're not much use. they're utility players off the bench now. i been said it...willy aint sh*t.

So how do you feel about our starting C

He can at least shoot but his defense is so bad. I don’t want to resign him.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
RealGM
And1: 39,214

Post#28 » by 2010 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:48 pm

shtolky wrote:Willy "rips" Knicks player development? Hilarious. He did no such thing. Who cares about Willy. He wasn't playing here and so far he isn't playing there. He's their problem now.

You had to be that guy...

...Ummm, excuse me fomw.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Newyorknick94
Head Coach
And1: 2,518

Post#29 » by Newyorknick94 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Marty McFly wrote:I've said it before, but i really want the knicks to hire Penny as a player developer in the worst way. and hopefully the heir to HC position.

Memphis gonna hire him
Legends BAT
G - Penny Hardaway/Mike Bibby
G - Gilbert Arenas / Monta Ellis
F - Julius Erving/John Starks
F - Chris bosh/Danny Granger
C - Dikembe Mutombo
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#30 » by HEZI » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:13 pm

Props to Perry for actually getting two 2nd rounders for that bum
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#31 » by Huey Freeman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:29 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Jeff called KP a pussy.

I thought Horny said they were PLAYING like a pussy. There’s a difference. :wink:
Revolution starts in the mind...
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,308

Post#32 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:37 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Jeff called KP a pussy.

I thought Horny said they were PLAYING like a pussy. There’s a difference. :wink:

Yeah...that's what we're referring too.
:beer: RIP mags
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#33 » by BBALLER4FR » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Jeff called KP a pussy.

But in the case of Willy, both can be true, no?
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,306

Post#34 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:52 pm

WHG says "it's more free to do stuff" and also says "It's more strict"

A little confused.

I'd guess more strict in terms of offensive and defensive responsibilities and accountability but more "free" to do stuff development wise?

Sounds like Jeff. Slack bastard in accountability, sucks at development.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,306

Post#35 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:57 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

exactly. if you can't defend or take an outside shot, you're not much use. they're utility players off the bench now. i been said it...willy aint sh*t.

Kanter rebounds and tweets funny stuff so he's good, apparently :noway:
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,401

Post#36 » by robillionaire » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:03 pm

nothing to see here just nypost trying to make a meaningless game interesting with some drama
NewEra
RealGM
And1: 13,329

Post#37 » by NewEra » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:09 pm

Willy been wack
BAF- 2020 Champs | 2021 2k Champs
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#38 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:10 pm

2010 wrote:
Hornets coach Steve Clifford gave a candid scouting report of his center, Willy Hernangomez, who seems to appreciate the brutal honesty coming from his new taskmaster.

Clifford explained in detail about the Spanish center’s need to improve shooting range and defensive reads because he’s “not a high-flier” and said he wants him to be rid of his image as a strictly back-to-the-basket big man. He also hinted at improving Hernangomez’s work ethic.

“If you were in one place and didn’t play much, if you want to play more in the next place, I’d say work harder and kill myself,” Clifford said at the Hornets shootaround at the Players Association’s midtown headquarters. “The reality is he wasn’t playing here for a reason. He’s got to change things.”

Clifford, an ex-Knicks assistant under Jeff Van Gundy, said he told Hernangomez all of it in a chat last week.

For his part, Hernangomez sees a stricter climate in Charlotte than with the Knicks with a chance to better expand his skills.

“He tells you things that’s going on and what he wants,” Hernangomez said of Clifford. “He wants you to improve if you want to play. It’s very clear. Here everybody follows rules, defense and offense. [In New York], it was a little more free. I’m really surprised when I came here to see the difference.”

Hernangomez, 23, requested a trade before Feb. 8’s deadline. He was disgruntled at being out of the rotation after becoming a first-team All-Rookie last season. But Clifford has played him in just nine games, giving him six DNPs. He’s averaging just 4.1 minutes per game

“He’s not up to speed on what we’re doing to play a lot,” Clifford said. “It’s been a little bit of a struggle for him. He’s smart, but he’s not this high-flier, phenomenal, natural athlete able to make up ground. He’s got to be on top of things, especially on the defensive end. If he’s not detailed defensively, he’s not that [athletic] guy.”

While the Knicks’ new regime prides itself on player development, Hernangomez has found the learning environment finer in Charlotte.

“You see my warmups before the game,” Hernangomez said. “With the Knicks, low post, banks. Here I shoot 3s, floaters — a lot more free to do more stuff. Nobody tells you you can’t do it. I think it will be great place for me to keep improving.”

Enes Kanter said the Knicks traded “a young Marc Gasol,” but [Knicks] brass saw what Clifford sees: an old-school, low-post center who doesn’t defend well in space — the NBA’s new mantra for centers.

“To be an every-night player, and I’ve told him this, he’s got to improve his shooting,” Clifford said. “He is right now, in my opinion, a back-to-the-basket player who can pass. But the reality is his passing doesn’t come into play until they have to get close to him and know he’s not going to knock down a shot. And he’s not a knockdown shooter.”

Now here comes the part where he starts living off his teammate's / friend's name again... :lol:

Hernangomez hoped to see the rehabbing Porzingis at Saturday’s game. He huddled with Porzingis the night of Feb. 6, after KP returned from his MRI exam with news of his torn ACL. Hernangomez went back to Porzingis’ apartment, calling it “the worst night of my life.”

“It was a special moment between him and me,” Hernangomez said. “I was surprised how positive he was. His mind is right.”

Hernangomez and Porzingis stay in close contact.

“What do you think?” Hernangomez said when asked Porzingis’ reaction to his trade. “His best friend is no longer here.”

https://nypost.com/2018/03/17/willy-hernangomezs-new-coach-gets-brutally-honest-and-big-man-loves-it/

The fact that Willy needs to be told to work hard is all I need to know about him. Good trade.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,923

Post#39 » by god shammgod » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:22 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

i don't like kanter at all. never did. not in the slightest. i don't like him. i don't like koq. i don't like noah (young noah was quick enough to be useful in today's game but old noah is not). i don't like willy. i don't like any of them.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#40 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:26 pm

I feel like Shams post above me could be turned into a sam I am dr seus ryhme.

Return to New York Knicks