ImageImageImageImageImage

Zach Lowe on Trey Burke

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,039

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Zach Lowe on Trey Burke 

Post#121 » by GONYK » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:29 pm

HEZI wrote:
GONYK wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Right, and figuring out how the team will score is part of running an offense. The whole point of running an offense is to score, there's no other purpose to it. So as long as the PG is producing offense, whether it be via passing or scoring himself, he's doing his job.

We're talking in circles.

If Burke's shot wasn't falling at a crazy clip, he wouldn't be producing much for himself or others, and whatever he did manage would be inefficient just by the nature of the shots he's taking.

Scoring =/= running an offense. Otherwise Beasley and Kanter would be considered facilitators running an offense.

Who's offense are we talking about here? Your offense or the Knicks team? Maybe Burke is not running your style of offense but he's certainly doing what the Knicks want him to do.

And we are back to me sincerely doubting the Knicks offense is built around the PG keeping the ball on one side of the floor and shooting a high volume of long 2's.
Red Vines
RealGM
And1: 8,575

Re: Zach Lowe on Trey Burke 

Post#122 » by Red Vines » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:29 pm

Frank's problem is that there will be an influx of guys coming into the league around his same age for the next few years, many just as talented or more talented. Right now he's benefiting from few 19 y/o comparisons in the NBA and since he didn't go to college you can't compare that either. He might improve but he'll have to improve enough to jump ahead of all the guys coming into the league.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Zach Lowe on Trey Burke 

Post#123 » by HEZI » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:30 pm

GONYK wrote:
HEZI wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Beasley is our best forward since KP went down. Is his game above examination?

There is a difference between playing well and shooting well. Burke is a player on this roster like anyone else. He's one that people are clamoring to slot into the SL (just like Beasley, once upon a time). I think looking at the big picture of his impact is very valid.

Burke has played well and shot well. He's outplayed both guards that are in front of him. We are looking at the big picture and it looks like this

Frank needs work, a lot of work and his progress is not going to be seen this season. Maybe we see it next season but we can cross that bridge when the time is right.

Shooting better is not necessarily playing better. In a developmental part of the season, I don't know why we'd be focusing solely on results, process be damned. Burke has parts of his game to work on, just like Frank.

He's not just shooting, he's pushing the tempo, he's known the offense since Westchester so it's no surprise he knows how to get guys in the right position, he knows where to call for his screener (not too high and not too low), he knows where to be when he's running motion away from the ball, he's getting to the basket, he's racking up assists, he's playing with energy and effort on defense, like what else is he supposed to do to be considered playing well?
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#124 » by GONYK » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 pm

HEZI wrote:
GONYK wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Burke has played well and shot well. He's outplayed both guards that are in front of him. We are looking at the big picture and it looks like this

Frank needs work, a lot of work and his progress is not going to be seen this season. Maybe we see it next season but we can cross that bridge when the time is right.

Shooting better is not necessarily playing better. In a developmental part of the season, I don't know why we'd be focusing solely on results, process be damned. Burke has parts of his game to work on, just like Frank.

He's not just shooting, he's pushing the tempo, he's known the offense since Westchester so it's no surprise he knows how to get guys in the right position, he knows where to call for his screener (not too high and not too low), he knows where to be when he's running motion away from the ball, he's getting to the basket, he's racking up assists, he's playing with energy and effort on defense, like what else is he supposed to do to be considered playing well?

I'd probably settle for this
Burke doesn't have to monopolize the offense. Maybe give Frank Ntilikina a few more turns? Try more pull-up 3s, grind on defense, venture farther into the lane.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#125 » by HEZI » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 pm

GONYK wrote:
HEZI wrote:
GONYK wrote:We're talking in circles.

If Burke's shot wasn't falling at a crazy clip, he wouldn't be producing much for himself or others, and whatever he did manage would be inefficient just by the nature of the shots he's taking.

Scoring =/= running an offense. Otherwise Beasley and Kanter would be considered facilitators running an offense.

Who's offense are we talking about here? Your offense or the Knicks team? Maybe Burke is not running your style of offense but he's certainly doing what the Knicks want him to do.

And we are back to me sincerely doubting the Knicks offense is built around the PG keeping the ball on one side of the floor and shooting a high volume of long 2's.

Why wouldn't it be? We've been running Iso ball for Melo, KP, Beasley all of who take the majority of their shots from mid range aka long 2s so now that it's Burke who's taking those shots its a problem? Our roster is designed for that, we have been leading the league in long 2s way before Burke ever got here.
DENVER NUGGETS
HEZI
RealGM

Post#126 » by HEZI » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:43 pm

GONYK wrote:
HEZI wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Burke doesn't have to monopolize the offense. Maybe give Frank Ntilikina a few more turns? Try more pull-up 3s, grind on defense, venture farther into the lane.

So this really isn't about Burke at all, it's ultimately about Frank. Not that I didn't know this already
DENVER NUGGETS
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Zach Lowe on Trey Burke 

Post#127 » by GONYK » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:43 pm

HEZI wrote:
GONYK wrote:
HEZI wrote:

So this really isn't about Burke at all, it's ultimately about Frank. Not that I didn't know this already

I didn't know Lowe cared about Frank so much
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,314

Re: Zach Lowe on Trey Burke 

Post#128 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:45 pm

Lowe's points are fair, but it's not the best sample size, and he does have a mentality to make the team next season. I don't think he's played "losing" basketball like rose did last season, though.

At the very least, he deserves to be in the rotation next season. I think we found our diamond in the rough. Hopefully troy is the same.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#129 » by HEZI » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:52 pm

GONYK wrote:
HEZI wrote:
GONYK wrote:

Again, who's offense is he talking about? Why isn't Mudiay or Frank advised to do this. Not sure I understand the focus on Burke, the dude who averages the least amount of minutes per game in the rotation when neither of the guards in front of him are doing any of that. Burke isn't coming in and breaking away from a different strategy.
DENVER NUGGETS
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#130 » by GONYK » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:17 am

HEZI wrote:
GONYK wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Again, who's offense is he talking about? Why isn't Mudiay or Frank advised to do this. Not sure I understand the focus on Burke, the dude who averages the least amount of minutes per game in the rotation when neither of the guards in front of him are doing any of that. Burke isn't coming in and breaking away from a different strategy.

I don't know. If I had to guess, it's because Burke was the one identified doing something unsustainable. It doesn't negate the validity of the criticism though.

Perhaps the Knicks agree, since they are making a point of playing Burke off ball and get him the ball off motion, with Frank at the 1 so far tonight.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#131 » by HEZI » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:27 am

GONYK wrote:
HEZI wrote:
GONYK wrote:I didn't know Lowe cared about Frank so much

I don't know. If I had to guess, it's because Burke was the one identified doing something unsustainable. It doesn't negate the validity of the criticism though.

Perhaps the Knicks agree, since they are making a point of playing Burke off ball and get him the ball off motion, with Frank at the 1 so far tonight.

Burke has been killing it running the offense tonight and the ball movement has been excellent. Like I told you though, his shooters are brick layers.
DENVER NUGGETS
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#132 » by GONYK » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:28 am

HEZI wrote:
GONYK wrote:
HEZI wrote:

Burke has been killing it running the offense tonight and the ball movement has been excellent. Like I told you though, his shooters are brick layers.

I've very much enjoyed the way he's playing tonight.

The process is good, even if the results aren't.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#133 » by HEZI » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:29 am

GONYK wrote:
HEZI wrote:
GONYK wrote:

But I know what you're thinking, is it sustainable? :D I know I know
DENVER NUGGETS
HEZI
RealGM

Post#134 » by HEZI » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:30 am

GONYK wrote:
HEZI wrote:
GONYK wrote:

The process is good, even if the results aren't.

Agreed!
DENVER NUGGETS

Return to New York Knicks