ImageImageImageImageImage

NY Post:Knicks must make a run at Kawhi Leonard

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Re: NY Post:Knicks must make a run at Kawhi Leonard 

Post#501 » by Sark » Fri Apr 6, 2018 10:51 pm

Greenie wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Greenie wrote:Or maybe he’s just a damn good player about his business.

or maybe he's damaged goods.

Maybe KP is too...

Yea but we don't have to give up anything to get KP. We also control KP for another 5 years or so. Kawhi can be an unrestricted free agent next year.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#502 » by Greenie » Fri Apr 6, 2018 11:59 pm

RHODEY wrote:
Greenie wrote:
RHODEY wrote:or maybe he's damaged goods.

Maybe KP is too...

True but KP is on a rookie contract .

For another year...
Then he wants a supermax...
Greenie
RealGM

Post#503 » by Greenie » Sat Apr 7, 2018 12:02 am

Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:
RHODEY wrote:or maybe he's damaged goods.

Maybe KP is too...

Yea but we don't have to give up anything to get KP. We also control KP for another 5 years or so. Kawhi can be an unrestricted free agent next year.

Don’t care.
I rather have Kawhi as my base.
You rather have KP.

It’s all good.
Sark
RealGM

Post#504 » by Sark » Sat Apr 7, 2018 12:15 am

Greenie wrote:
Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:Maybe KP is too...

Don’t care.
You rather have KP.

It’s all good.

That's the point. You won't have him as your base, as he's a free agent.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#505 » by Greenie » Sat Apr 7, 2018 3:45 pm

Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Sark wrote:

Don’t care.
You rather have KP.

It’s all good.

Stop acting like you can’t re-sign him. Stop it.
fresko024
Veteran
And1: 459

Post#506 » by fresko024 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 4:04 pm

Greenie wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
Greenie wrote:Maybe KP is too...

For another year...

KP is not even eligible for a Supermax.

Kawhi would be a Godsend on this team but the question is what we would have to give up for him.
Romans 8:1-4
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,434

Post#507 » by RHODEY » Sat Apr 7, 2018 4:30 pm

fresko024 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

For another year...

Kawhi would be a Godsend on this team but the question is what we would have to give up for him.

A healthty Kawhi without having to give up KP might be a Godsend..but thats just not realistic.
Greenie
RealGM

Post#508 » by Greenie » Sat Apr 7, 2018 4:57 pm

fresko024 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

For another year...

Rose rule
Dude made the all star team
Sark
RealGM

Post#509 » by Sark » Sat Apr 7, 2018 5:43 pm

Greenie wrote:
Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:Don’t care.
You rather have KP.

It’s all good.

If you think he would sign here, or wants to be here, then why not just wait for him to be a free agent, and have Kawhi + KP? Makes more sense, no?
Greenie
RealGM

Post#510 » by Greenie » Sat Apr 7, 2018 5:47 pm

Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Sark wrote:

If you think he would sign here, or wants to be here, then why not just wait for him to be a free agent, and have Kawhi + KP? Makes more sense, no?

Oh, so you want him to leave money and years on the table?

Bird rights are real.

We don’t get that unless we trade for him.
Sark
RealGM

Post#511 » by Sark » Sat Apr 7, 2018 5:52 pm

Greenie wrote:
Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:Stop acting like you can’t re-sign him. Stop it.

Bird rights are real.

And then we're right back to Melo situation. 1 star and no assets to build around him.

Players give up their Bird Rights all the time to go elsewhere. Kawhi can too if he wants to be a Knick. Enough of us bending over for players. Puts us in the terrible situation every single time.
jstudabaka
Bench Warmer
And1: 681

Post#512 » by jstudabaka » Sat Apr 7, 2018 6:49 pm

I would rather commit to Leonard long term than Porzingis -- but the "galaxy brain" take is that we should not commit to either of them. KP is a disaster of injuries -- and it seems Kawhi may be headed in that direction too. Plus, it doesn't look like the Knicks would be able to surround Kawhi with the players needed to compete for anything while he's in his prime. The 76ers and Lebron (if he stays in the East) will own this conference for the next few years. The Knicks should just do a true rebuild
Greenie
RealGM

Post#513 » by Greenie » Sat Apr 7, 2018 8:25 pm

Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Sark wrote:

Bird rights are real.

And then we're right back to Melo situation. 1 star and no assets to build around him.

Players give up their Bird Rights all the time to go elsewhere. Kawhi can too if he wants to be a Knick. Enough of us bending over for players. Puts us in the terrible situation every single time.

Not superstars.

I’m not here for KP. You are. Let’s agree to disagree because I’m never choosing KP over Kawhi.
Sark
RealGM

Post#514 » by Sark » Sat Apr 7, 2018 8:39 pm

Greenie wrote:
Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:Oh, so you want him to leave money and years on the table?

Bird rights are real.

Not superstars.

I’m not here for KP. You are. Let’s agree to disagree because I’m never choosing KP over Kawhi.

No I'm here for the Knicks, not any particular players. Been following this TEAM since the 1980s. I'm about keeping the most assets for the best price, and building a team. I'm not here to dck ride a player that you might have a crush on.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#515 » by Da ThRONe » Sat Apr 7, 2018 9:44 pm

Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Sark wrote:

You don't wait because your team won't be the only team trying to get the player and your team isn't the only team the player would reup with. If the Spurs do indeed make Leonard available almost all 29 teams will try. Kawhi will not see free agency. He will eliminate teams by simply letting the league know who he will and won't sign an extension with.

People act like this is something new. Teams don't trade for players without knowing whether or not they can re-sign a player before the deal. Now some teams will still gamble a la OKC Thunder with Paul George this past off-season. However again they knew they before hand. If you make a trade for Leonard it will be with the understanding that he's a) healthy and b) will sign a multi year extension.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#516 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Apr 7, 2018 10:20 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:
Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:Stop acting like you can’t re-sign him. Stop it.

You don't wait because your team won't be the only team trying to get the player and your team isn't the only team the player would reup with. If the Spurs do indeed make Leonard available almost all 29 teams will try. Kawhi will not see free agency. He will eliminate teams by simply letting the league know who he will and won't sign an extension with.

People act like this is something new. Teams don't trade for players without knowing whether or not they can re-sign a player before the deal. Now some teams will still gamble a la OKC Thunder with Paul George this past off-season. However again they knew they before hand. If you make a trade for Leonard it will be with the understanding that he's a) healthy and b) will sign a multi year extension.

This isn't accurate. There is no "knowing", how you know he's healthy if he hasn't played? if they were the team and player would sign an extension right then and there, but they cant. Boston did it with Kyrie. Kyrie can walk when his time is up and the Celtics has no guarantees. neither does Okc with PG. Pelicans don't have it with Cousins, even the lakers a few years back didn't have it with Dwight. These rentals have been around quite often.

It would be absolutely idiotic to trade for kawhi, because it will take our core and picks to do it.

Spurs aren't the Knicks, they will not take just KP which don't match up and certainly not Timmy's garbage ass and no picks?

it isn't realistic for us unless he comes as a free agent.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Greenie
RealGM

Post#517 » by Greenie » Sat Apr 7, 2018 10:31 pm

Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Sark wrote:

Not superstars.

No I'm here for the Knicks, not any particular players. Been following this TEAM since the 1980s. I'm about keeping the most assets for the best price, and building a team. I'm not here to dck ride a player that you might have a crush on.

I don’t give a damn what you want.
I want the best players. Period.
Sark
RealGM

Post#518 » by Sark » Sat Apr 7, 2018 10:43 pm

Greenie wrote:
Sark wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Not superstars.

I don’t give a damn what you want.
I want the best players. Period.

Cool. I want the best team.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#519 » by Da ThRONe » Sat Apr 7, 2018 10:58 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:
Sark wrote:

This isn't accurate. There is no "knowing", how you know he's healthy if he hasn't played? if they were the team and player would sign an extension right then and there, but they cant. Boston did it with Kyrie. Kyrie can walk when his time is up and the Celtics has no guarantees. neither does Okc with PG. Pelicans don't have it with Cousins, even the lakers a few years back didn't have it with Dwight. These rentals have been around quite often.

It would be absolutely idiotic to trade for kawhi, because it will take our core and picks to do it.

Spurs aren't the Knicks, they will not take just KP which don't match up and certainly not Timmy's garbage ass and no picks?

There's a clear difference between having an understanding and knowing. Of course you'll never be guaranteed anything concerning a players health.

As far as the teams core what is it exactly outside of Porzingis? Are you counting Hardaway, Burke, Williams, Dotson, Kornet, Hicks, Thomas, or Baker ? All those players will be here. Are you counting Beasley, Kanter, O'Quinn, they may not be here anyways.

So what are the Knicks giving up? The draft pick? He is mathematical more likely to be a bust than a key player. Ntilikina he's a solid prospect, but is really lacking on offense. Lee solid vet. Porzingis as good as he's been he's not likely to be as good as Leonard and just blew his knee out and isn't likely to be back until around Christmas. The only way this is even enough is if Leonard is trying to force his way to a larger market like NY or LA.

But to my point there's nothing about this current core that needs to be held onto if given a chance at a top 5 player Finals MvP.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#520 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Apr 7, 2018 11:09 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:

There's a clear different between having an understanding and knowing. Of course you get be guaranteed anything concerning a players health.

As far as the teams core what is it exactly outside of Porzingis? Are you counting Hardaway, Burke, Williams, Dotson, Kornet, Hicks, Thomas, or Baker ? All those players will be here. Are you counting Beasley, Kanter, O'Quinn, they may not be here anyways.

So what are the Knicks giving up? The draft pick? He is mathematical more likely to be a bust than a key player. Ntilikina he's a solid prospect, but is really lacking on offense. Lee solid vet. Porzingis as good as he's been he's not likely to be as good as Leonard and just blew his knee out and isn't likely to be back until around Christmas. The only way this is even enough is if Leonard is trying to force his way to a larger market like NY or LA.

But to my point there's nothing about this current core that needs to be held onto if given a chance at a top 5 player Finals MvP.

I heard this same debate when trading for Melo and I was on that side making it. I'll never endorse such a deal ever again.

It's not about individual names given up, it's mortgaging now and the future when winning wont be the goal at the end.

Kawhi and bunch of nobodies gets nothing done. It will cost multiple picks to acquire him as well. Easy pass for me.

Sign as a free agent if he wants to be here so bad.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten

Return to New York Knicks