ImageImageImageImageImage

Enes Kanter's (Lack Of) Impact Article

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,275

Re: Enes Kanter's (Lack Of) Impact Article 

Post#41 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Apr 3, 2018 2:31 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
seren wrote:What an incredibly bad trade Melo deal turned out to be. The only positive is Kanter is very effective in tanking. If we played OQuinn, Hernangomez and even Noah, we most likely would have a better record now.

The first Melo trade was much worse

Indeed
ImageImageImage
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#42 » by dakomish23 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 2:58 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:I've been working on this the last few days as a way to bring back some real conversation to the boards (something that it's gone away from recently).

It's looking at Kanter's actual impact - why his defense is bad (videos, synergy), metrics, breaking down of video, and why his impact is nowhere near as large as it might seem going by his box score stats. I don't plan on getting into real back and forths about it with anyone, just thought it would be a nice way to start a conversation. Sure, Kanter puts up points in the paint and rebounds, but the impact isn't there. In terms of helping a team win, an overwhelming amount of metrics point to him being a net negative.

Anyways, here's the link. Hope y'all enjoy.

https://thefrontofficeeye.com/2018/04/02/enes-kanters-actual-impact/

Yeah but do you have a stat for “heart” and “wants to be a Knicks lifer”???

:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#43 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Apr 3, 2018 3:02 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:I've been working on this the last few days as a way to bring back some real conversation to the boards (something that it's gone away from recently).

It's looking at Kanter's actual impact - why his defense is bad (videos, synergy), metrics, breaking down of video, and why his impact is nowhere near as large as it might seem going by his box score stats. I don't plan on getting into real back and forths about it with anyone, just thought it would be a nice way to start a conversation. Sure, Kanter puts up points in the paint and rebounds, but the impact isn't there. In terms of helping a team win, an overwhelming amount of metrics point to him being a net negative.

Anyways, here's the link. Hope y'all enjoy.

https://thefrontofficeeye.com/2018/04/02/enes-kanters-actual-impact/

Yeah but do you have a stat for “heart” and “wants to be a Knicks lifer”???

:lol:

Does his picture in the Istanbul High yearbook with the caption "Head most likely to be used as a scrub brush" count?
ImageImageImage
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#44 » by dakomish23 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 3:03 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
seren wrote:What an incredibly bad trade Melo deal turned out to be. The only positive is Kanter is very effective in tanking. If we played OQuinn, Hernangomez and even Noah, we most likely would have a better record now.

The first Melo trade got us 3 years in the playoffs. The only time we went to the playoffs in consecutive years in almost two decades.

This Melo trade got you a sub 30 win season

At least keep the hate in the realm of what happened HW :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#45 » by dakomish23 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 3:05 pm

I liked the deal but would of loved it if we got Ferg

What we did after was typical Knicks

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,063

Post#46 » by Capn'O » Tue Apr 3, 2018 3:26 pm

I'm looking at our options with The Capulator. Fantastic tool. Oh man, did we ever screw our cap with the Noah and Hardaway deals. I almost hope that Kanter opts in so we don't do something dumb and just keep building with trades and the draft.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#47 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Apr 3, 2018 3:29 pm

Capn'O wrote:I'm looking at our options with The Capulator. Fantastic tool. Oh man, did we ever screw our cap with the Noah and Hardaway deals. I almost hope that Kanter opts in so we don't do something dumb and just keep building with trades and the draft.

A contract calculator? And all this time I thought that is what your wife called you
ImageImageImage
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,276

Post#48 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue Apr 3, 2018 3:39 pm

Capn'O wrote:I'm looking at our options with The Capulator. Fantastic tool. Oh man, did we ever screw our cap with the Noah and Hardaway deals. I almost hope that Kanter opts in so we don't do something dumb and just keep building with trades and the draft.

Yeah, we would probably use that money to overpay Elf or something ike that.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,665

Post#49 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Apr 3, 2018 4:14 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

The first Melo trade got us 3 years in the playoffs. The only time we went to the playoffs in consecutive years in almost two decades.

I don't see any And1s to your post. :lol:
Free Palestine
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#50 » by dakomish23 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 5:10 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Easier to blame Melo for everything wrong with this organization for two decades and caters to the Knicks are teflon way of thinking.

I’m surprised you didn’t get 50 :lol:

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#51 » by dakomish23 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 5:12 pm

It's a scary thought that not having cap space would be positive for us

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#52 » by Capn'O » Tue Apr 3, 2018 5:30 pm

dakomish23 wrote:

Isn't it?

We actually get the MLE with the opt in (~8.3 mil) which we don't if he opts out. I trust our staff scraping the bargain bin MUCH more than having 20 mil or so.
BAF Clippers

Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#53 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Apr 3, 2018 5:58 pm

Capn'O wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

Isn't it?

We actually get the MLE with the opt in (~8.3 mil) which we don't if he opts out. I trust our staff scraping the bargain bin MUCH more than having 20 mil or so.

So this is what it has come to for the NY Knicks organization (actually kinda makes sense though)
ImageImageImage
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#54 » by dakomish23 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 7:06 pm

Capn'O wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

Isn't it?

We’ve found ways to hurt ourselves with the MLE

I’d love to just have them say “unless a stud is interested in us, we’re staying put and will look to progress organically, while also liking to build our asset base”.

I dream too big though

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#55 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Apr 3, 2018 7:07 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

Easier to blame Melo for everything wrong with this organization for two decades and caters to the Knicks are teflon way of thinking.

C'mon man, are you really looking back on that trade and thinking "Yep, we need another Melo trade!" Giving up all those assets and draft picks? That trade set us back a whole bunch of years. Three first round exits don't do it for me.
Free Palestine
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#56 » by Capn'O » Tue Apr 3, 2018 7:11 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

Isn't it?

We’ve found ways to hurt ourselves with the MLE

I’d love to just have them say “unless a stud is interested in us, we’re staying put and will look to progress organically, while also liking to build our asset base”.

I dream too big though

I've been advocating that we sit on some of our cap to use in trades or future FA acquisitions since about 2010. Tanking and not trading firsts since I've been here. I just don't do it as loud as I used to because... fat lot of good it all did :lol:

The recouping of first rounders and punting cap with 1 year deals the team now does is at least a start.
BAF Clippers

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#57 » by dakomish23 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 7:16 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

C'mon man, are you really looking back on that trade and thinking "Yep, we need another Melo trade!" Giving up all those assets and draft picks? That trade set us back a whole bunch of years. Three first round exits don't do it for me.

We didn’t have 3 first round exits.

We didn’t send picks. We sent a pick and a swap. The other pick went for Bargs.

Also, to sign him, we would of had to let WC go

Also, if we don’t trade for him, there is an overwhelming likelihood that we make the DWill deal. You want to talk about setting back this franchise? Imagine the damage of having Amar’e and DWill on max contracts would do. Plus you likely still traded the same pick, except now it’s probably top 5 instead of #12.

You have said that you don’t want to keep losing and want to see them win. The only times we have winning records since 2001 is after the first 3 years of that deal. Shouldn’t that satiate your desire to win? Or is it you want to win but not if Melo’s on the team?

I didn’t want to do another blockbuster. I wanted to play the kids. I wanted to gladly accept whatever outcome happened by playing the kids (likely top 5 pick). I wanted to use any cap space to gain assets if it wasn’t for a legitimate stud. I wanted to trade the vets with value for assets. I wanted to try some lottery tickets to see if we could find a rotation guy or two.

Only one of those things happened - the last one. It turned out to be one of the few bright spots during this year.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#58 » by taj2133 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 7:23 pm

My thing is this if the knicks win the draft and draft ayton i wouldn't mind saying goodbye to kanter then and trading him to the bucks for jabri parker. I also wouldn't mind if we kept him either if the knicks didn't win the draft and didn't have the number 1 pick i would like the knicks to keep him on good contract.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#59 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Apr 3, 2018 7:23 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

Also, if we don’t trade for him, there is an overwhelming likelihood that we make the DWill deal. You want to talk about setting back this franchise? Imagine the damage of having Amar’e and DWill on max contracts would do. Plus you likely still traded the same pick, except now it’s probably top 5 instead of #12.

You have said that you don’t want to keep losing and want to see them win. The only times we have winning records since 2001 is after the first 3 years of that deal. Shouldn’t that satiate your desire to win? Or is it you want to win but not if Melo’s on the team?

I didn’t want to do another blockbuster. I wanted to play the kids. I wanted to gladly accept whatever outcome happened by playing the kids (likely top 5 pick). I wanted to use any cap space to gain assets if it wasn’t for a legitimate stud. I wanted to trade the vets with value for assets. I wanted to try some lottery tickets to see if we could find a rotation guy or two.

Only one of those things happened - the last one. It turned out to be one of the few bright spots during this year.

I can't. I won't. In the words of my deceased friend's deceased Jewish grandmother "Let it be how you say." :lol:
Free Palestine
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#60 » by dakomish23 » Tue Apr 3, 2018 8:26 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I can't. I won't. In the words of my deceased friend's deceased Jewish grandmother "Let it be how you say." :lol:

You win

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks