ImageImageImageImageImage

Damyean Dotson Can't Be Stopped

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: Damyean Dotson Can't Be Stopped 

Post#61 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:10 pm

Capn'O wrote:Let's refocus the thread to his play...

Anyone think he can be a SF?

Depends on team. How he compliments other players etc but in today's NBA these two positions are practically interchangeable.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#62 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:13 pm

Garbagelo wrote:He is JR Smith without the crack

In which case, that is actually quite a fine player in this day and age

How is he like JR Smith?
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#63 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:15 pm

reub wrote:We should have kept Willy and rolled with Burke, Frank, THJr, Dotson, Mikal, Willy, Kornet, Mudiay, Hezonja, Jerami Grant and O'Quinn (we should sign him) plus KP when he comes back next year. That would have gotten us one more lottery pick, a super-talented very young team and we'd be set to contend for the 2019-2020 season.

We definitely would lose more with that lineup.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#64 » by MaseInYourFace » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:19 pm

Kinglee wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
This has nothing to do with Frank, I don’t even see the point of you bringing him up. Frank being the 8th pick doesn’t make him a good basketball player and Dotson has always had a solid offensive game. Doesn’t make sense to reach right now. Stay on topic and get off me

What does being the 8th pick have to do with anything?

I asked you to defend your stance on why Dotson, who has shown nothing all season, is a ‘baller’ but Frank is a scrub.

Take out the fact that Dotson is 4 years older than Frank.

Explain what you have been impressed by with Dotson over the entire season. Go.

I watched him in college. Calling someone a baller isn’t saying a guy is a superstar or anything. It’s just saying the guy is a player. Same way Rob Gray is a baller and the Martin twins are ballers. It just mean when they get on the court and perform it wouldn’t be a suprise to me.

There are many players in the league that are in the league because they were given an opportunity, though not much was expected of them.

Every player in the nba isn’t better than every college player or every g league player. Some get opportunities, some don’t. I go with what my eyes tell me. I don’t just say this guy a top pick or this guy play here so he must be great.

Btw... When we drafted Dotson, I posted how the kid has talent and he’s a baller. Never said superstar, but dude can ball. Period. Stop asking me about Frank because you’re only going to get negative reviews from me and fans of every team around the league. Dude was trash this year. Get off me about dude.

A lot of players just can't play NBA basketball well for a variety of reasons. But we are talking about NBA not pick up games. Your point is trash like 99.9% of your posts.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,649

Post#65 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:31 pm

Miami didn't care last night. That was part of it.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#66 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Apr 8, 2018 3:13 pm

If the Greek Freak played last night, Dotson gets 7 pts and 3 rebounds.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#67 » by Polk377 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 3:58 pm

dakomish23 wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
:lol:

We barely played this kid all year and you’re using one of the few games he played big minutes as proof that we have been playing him?

Let me guess. We started him two games months ago so that means we were playing him all year?

He did play in 41 games this year and 13 in the G-League so it's not like he didn't get opportunities. It is up to him to make an impact with the opportunities he did have. I like Dotson and think he could be a good rotation player but he wasn't ready to play major minutes.

We need to for once have patience. This is not a sprint it's a marathon. We have tried sprinting with quick fixes that never work out. Let these kids take time to learn the game and develop their skills without all of this New York fan/media pressure. The Knicks have done a great job using their developmental system this year and it shows with how these guys have stepped right in and played within Jeff's system. I think if Frank started in the G-League this year he would be better off right now. Knicks just need to keep these guys together, develop the system and keep adding talent.

You’re using “have patience”’as an excuse to not play the kids?

Isn’t that backwards?

Let the kids play and have patience through their development.

Knicks don’t have patience. They went win now as always.

Agreed on adding talent. Disagree on keeping this current group together. We need to cut bait before we overpay (more) bench players and pretend they’re quality starters. That’s how you end up in cap hell. Sorry, deeper in cap hell

If you think this season was about win now than you have not been watching.

You don't just throw young players in when they are not ready and expect them to develop. You want to instill work ethic and make them earn it. It is up to the players to step up and take a spot. Everyone on this team had had a chance to play this season in different spots.

Remember this was everyone's first year in Jeff's system. It takes time to put it together especially when you are missing your star player for a big portion.

No one is saying all of these guys are going to be stars but a lot of them can be effective bench pieces. Burke, Dotson, Kornet, Williams, Thomas, KOQ, Baker, Beasley are all good players to have off of your bench. I don't see them overpaying to keep any of them but if they come back at a reasonable price I am all for it. It is up to the scouts and management to make sure they hit on our pick this year so some of these guys don't have to play prominent roles.

For once the team needs to stay the course with one plan and build from within. Worse case next year we still suck but players show developed potential and the tankers get another top 10 pick.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#68 » by dakomish23 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 4:30 pm

Polk377 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
He did play in 41 games this year and 13 in the G-League so it's not like he didn't get opportunities. It is up to him to make an impact with the opportunities he did have. I like Dotson and think he could be a good rotation player but he wasn't ready to play major minutes.

We need to for once have patience. This is not a sprint it's a marathon. We have tried sprinting with quick fixes that never work out. Let these kids take time to learn the game and develop their skills without all of this New York fan/media pressure. The Knicks have done a great job using their developmental system this year and it shows with how these guys have stepped right in and played within Jeff's system. I think if Frank started in the G-League this year he would be better off right now. Knicks just need to keep these guys together, develop the system and keep adding talent.

Isn’t that backwards?

Agreed on adding talent. Disagree on keeping this current group together. We need to cut bait before we overpay (more) bench players and pretend they’re quality starters. That’s how you end up in cap hell. Sorry, deeper in cap hell

If you think this season was about win now than you have not been watching.

You don't just throw young players in when they are not ready and expect them to develop. You want to instill work ethic and make them earn it. It is up to the players to step up and take a spot. Everyone on this team had had a chance to play this season in different spots.

Remember this was everyone's first year in Jeff's system. It takes time to put it together especially when you are missing your star player for a big portion.

No one is saying all of these guys are going to be stars but a lot of them can be effective bench pieces. Burke, Dotson, Kornet, Williams, Thomas, KOQ, Baker, Beasley are all good players to have off of your bench. I don't see them overpaying to keep any of them but if they come back at a reasonable price I am all for it. It is up to the scouts and management to make sure they hit on our pick this year so some of these guys don't have to play prominent roles.

For once the team needs to stay the course with one plan and build from within. Worse case next year we still suck but players show developed potential and the tankers get another top 10 pick.

If you think this season wasn’t about win now, then you haven’t been watching.

Spent all the cap space in big overpay for THJ
Started Sessions then Jack
Started Kanter
Started Lee
Then started Beas & LFT multiple games
Still playing the vets big minutes
Even bringing vets in to close games at this stage of the season
The only person they trade for assets was a guy on a rookie deal

Everything about this season screams “win now”

Instill work ethic and make them earn it? Folks are still running with this line? :lol: That in now way shape or form is what this team did. They went with who could win now. There are plenty of times where he younger guys “earned” their minutes and would not come back in because the coach went to his safety blanket - the vets.

You’re fine with defending the approach to rebuilding this team took. Cool. I’m not.

Let’s just agree to disagree
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Kinglee
Analyst
And1: 1,177

Post#69 » by Kinglee » Sun Apr 8, 2018 5:07 pm

A lot of angry people in here
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#70 » by RHODEY » Sun Apr 8, 2018 5:31 pm

Knicks Byke wrote:he looks shorter than 6 5 imo. is he really 6 7?

Just from looking at him next to Tina I would say he's around 6'4"
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,280

Post#71 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Apr 8, 2018 6:01 pm

Lavar Postell
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#72 » by MP4LIFE » Sun Apr 8, 2018 6:08 pm

Kinglee wrote:A lot of angry people in here

Great point.

You really explained yourself well in your argument as to why Dotson is a better player than Ntilikina.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,367
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#73 » by BKlutch » Sun Apr 8, 2018 6:47 pm

So for anybody still reading this thread, maybe we should all be asking this question: A guy plays all year, and doesn't show much. Some ok games, some poor games. Then he has one game like he did when he scored 30 with 11 rebounds. The question is how? I didn't see anything about that game that said the defense was letting him score. So how does he do it? If he was a really good player, he'd have had a string of decent games and we'd have noticed. Maybe it was something he ate. :lol:

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#74 » by reub » Sun Apr 8, 2018 6:56 pm

BKlutch wrote:So for anybody still reading this thread, maybe we should all be asking this question: A guy plays all year, and doesn't show much. Some ok games, some poor games. Then he has one game like he did when he scored 30 with 11 rebounds. The question is how? I didn't see anything about that game that said the defense was letting him score. So how does he do it? If he was a really good player, he'd have had a string of decent games and we'd have noticed. Maybe it was something he ate. :lol:

You can't show much when you don't play. Just like Willy.
They are our future. Not Lance, Lee, Kanter and the Bease.
Kinglee
Analyst
And1: 1,177

Post#75 » by Kinglee » Sun Apr 8, 2018 7:00 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:

Great point.

You really explained yourself well in your argument as to why Dotson is a better player than Ntilikina.

I never said he was a better player nor does this have anything to do with Frank. And even if that was the case, Frank was drafted off potential, not on how good he is. Jarret Jack and many other players in the league are better than Frank right now. THIS IS A FACT

And I'm not even discussing this again. Your obsession with me and a Knick player that you don't know is weird as ****. You're a grownup. Find something else to do then following me around a message board, questioning me about why I don't give a damn about a Eric Snow reincarnated. Enjoy talking to yourself from this point on when you refer to me
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,367
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#76 » by BKlutch » Mon Apr 9, 2018 12:28 am

reub wrote:
BKlutch wrote:So for anybody still reading this thread, maybe we should all be asking this question: A guy plays all year, and doesn't show much. Some ok games, some poor games. Then he has one game like he did when he scored 30 with 11 rebounds. The question is how? I didn't see anything about that game that said the defense was letting him score. So how does he do it? If he was a really good player, he'd have had a string of decent games and we'd have noticed. Maybe it was something he ate. :lol:

You can't show much when you don't play. Just like Willy.
They are our future. Not Lance, Lee, Kanter and the Bease.

I'd be ecstatic if Dotson could be our future. Then we could sell Timmy for a used Mustang and a tank of gas. But I find it hard to believe he only had one great game the whole season, and this means he's going to become the future. So I'd really like to know where that great game came from.

Of course, we'd all like to know if he could reliably do it again, but our crystal balls have not been very accurate for a long time.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#77 » by MP4LIFE » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:54 am

Kinglee wrote:
MP4LIFE wrote:

Great point.

I never said he was a better player nor does this have anything to do with Frank. And even if that was the case, Frank was drafted off potential, not on how good he is. Jarret Jack and many other players in the league are better than Frank right now. THIS IS A FACT

And I'm not even discussing this again. Your obsession with me and a Knick player that you don't know is weird as ****. You're a grownup. Find something else to do then following me around a message board, questioning me about why I don't give a damn about a Eric Snow reincarnated. Enjoy talking to yourself from this point on when you refer to me

You’re a disgrace. Nothing more needs to be said.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#78 » by Besart19 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 9:02 am

Willy / Kornet / Hicks
KP / Beasley / Hayes
DMD / Williams / Artis
Frank / Dotson / Baker
Burke / Jack / Mayes

Trade Melo, Lee, KOQ and Lance for expirings and picks... Dont sign Timmy.

We had a chance to have that instead. A top4 pick and over 70M to spend if Noah gets stretched
Strength and Honour!
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,292

Post#79 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 9, 2018 12:51 pm

Besart19 wrote:Willy / Kornet / Hicks
KP / Beasley / Hayes
DMD / Williams / Artis
Frank / Dotson / Baker
Burke / Jack / Mayes

Trade Melo, Lee, KOQ and Lance for expirings and picks... Dont sign Timmy.

We had a chance to have that instead. A top4 pick and over 70M to spend if Noah gets stretched

When you trade players...You have to take salary back. Melo had a NTC which further complicates this scenario. So...this is a pretty unrealistic version of what we could have had. Teams have to offer value in trades. Lee/KOQ/MFLFT? Who was beating down the door to give up picks AND expiring deals for these guys last summer? Signing Timmy to that deal though? We should have used that money to take on a bad deal or 2 and get picks back.

I don't think we could have gotten a better deal for Me7o. That debacle lasted 6 months and we almost ended up with Ryan Anderson and a crappy pick.

I guess we could make up a scenario where we get an expiring for Lee/KOQ but, I doubt there was any out there.

MFLFT? Not much value there at all.

We should have started the rebuild LAST year instead of going the D Rose route. That means no Lee/Noah/Timmy deals. Calmly tell Melo it's over. Give him some respect and, then ask him to pick a few teams he'd go to. Maybe you get a bigger list from him. Then maybe he's traded last season while Phil was still here and, we still have the triangle being stuffed down our throats.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Things are what they are. They need to fix this now. KOQ is opting out. Let him go to a winner or, re sign him to a short deal. I let him walk.

If Kanter opts out...let him walk too. I hope he opts out but, if he opts in he leaves next year or, possibly traded at the deadline for whatever.

Lee is the only other player to go. MFLFT is a good vet to have and only 1 year left so...I don't worry about him. He's getting bought out for a million the following summer so...what to do with Lee?

The big question I have is what do they do with the coaching staff? Do they commit to a true youth movement while KP is out or, do they go with Jeff running vets all year again? Let Beasley walk while we're at it. No need for him either.

Next year should be about a true rebuild. Not a tank dream where we hope the HC plays kids over "better players".

Burke/Frank/Mud
Timmy/Dotson/Baker
WIlliams/MFLFT/???
???/KP/Hicks(?)
Kanter(?)/Luke(?)/???
2-way deals
Draft picks

Trade Lee for whatever. Hope Kanter opts out. If not...deadline deal or leave next year. Let KOQ/Beasley/Jack walk. Bring in young players through the draft and cheap, team friendly deals. Don't sign any more vet mini deals. Buy out Noah. What do we need cap space for this summer? Take the L and get him off the books in 2 years. Do this and Jeff(or the new HC) CAN'T play the vets over the kids. I personally would fire Jeff too but, whatever.

That gives us a little roster continuity while we are bad enough for another lottery pick and, KP isn't upset that we're losing while he's hurt. No need to rush him back either.

Seeing how we have no control over any of this...I expect almost NONE of this to happen. I hope I'm wrong. I hope Perry can handle the draft and have the balls to demand/design a true youth movement rebuild. No tank BS. This was a miserable year once Timmy got hurt. It showed me Jeff is not very versatile as a HC. One more year as tank commander then fire him? I would fire him now but, yeah.

Let's go Sixers...Ummm...I mean Knicks!!!
:beer: RIP mags
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,997

Post#80 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:45 am

dakomish23 wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

We barely played this kid all year and you’re using one of the few games he played big minutes as proof that we have been playing him?

Let me guess. We started him two games months ago so that means we were playing him all year?

Isn’t that backwards?

Dakomish, Dotson is a second rounder. If you wanna get bent out of shape about someone, who if given all the time in the world will probably develop into a third stringer or trade fodder then be my guest.

When someone says we don't play our kids, I tend to focus on guys with potential to start. Are there exceptions? Are there Lance Stephensens out there? Sure but not seeing Dotson everyday doesn't warrant your overall assessment of how we run our lineup.

Frank plays
Mudiay plays
Kornet playing
Williams was playing
Dotson now plays

But yeah, don't lose sleep over guys in the Ndour tier of player

Return to New York Knicks