ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/18 Draft and College Thread Part 9 - also pick 9?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,675

Re: 2017/18 Draft and College Thread Part 9 - also pick 9? 

Post#1101 » by mpharris36 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:01 pm

whocares1 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
The problem is that most teams won’t give more for KP due to the injury and major contract incoming for him. I think the Grizz might because a KP-Gasol frontcourt could be devastating. Fine last scenario for you. We trade KP but we don’t trade Frank and the 9th.

Frank
Doncic
Mikal
Doesn’t matter
Doesn’t matter

Would you do that?

how is that any better than KP, Frank,and Mikal? Seems like we would be shuffling the deck just to shuffle it

Purely hypothetical not saying I want to trade KP, but the benefits would obviously be having Luka on a cheap contract for 4 more seasons without any injuries.

I guess, but the downside is KP is already an all-star that as proven he can be a #1 option in the NBA (and I love Luka). KP also a difference maker on the defensive end when Luka is not. So no I would shuffle that deck of cards yet...unless for some reason like I said you got clear word from KP's camp he has no plans to sign that extension (which I would doubt). Thats too much $$$ for him to pass up.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#1102 » by newyorker4ever » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:02 pm

Steve Kyler's new mock has M.Bamba sitting there at #9 and us passing on him for W.Carter.

We Have A Draft Order
The NBA announced the final draft order (reflected in this mock) for the non-draft lottery teams. There were several ties that were broken by a coin flip at last week’s NBA Board of Governors meeting in New York.

There are also some remaining key dates to keep in mind for this draft season:

The NBA’s Early Entry deadline is April 22. All underclassmen that wish to be included for draft consideration must declare in writing to the NBA, by that date.

The NBA Draft Lottery will be held in Chicago on May 15. The annual NBA Draft Combine will get underway on May 16, also in Chicago. In any given draft year, roughly 70 percent of players invited to the Combine end up being drafted into the NBA, so a Combine invite is a significant milestone.

The NCAA requires all players wishing to maintain their college eligibility, without penalty, to withdraw from the NBA Draft by 11:59 pm on May 30. That is an NCAA mandated date, not related to anything involving the NBA, and that notice must be delivered in writing.

The NBA’s draft withdrawal date is June 11 by 5:00 pm ET. The NBA’s date allows a prospect to remain NBA draft eligible for future NBA drafts and is not related to any NCAA rule or date. There are ways for college players that did not accept benefits to return to college, however, they may be subject to NCAA penalties.

Here is this week’s 2018 NBA Mock Draft, based on the final pre-draft lottery draft order:

DeAndre Ayton

Phoenix Suns
ARIZONAFRESHMAN

HEIGHT: 7'0"
POSITION: C
WEIGHT: 245 LBS
Luka Doncic

Memphis Grizzlies
REAL MADRIDINTERNATIONAL

HEIGHT: 6'7"
POSITION: SG
WEIGHT: 218 LBS
Jaren Jackson Jr.

Dallas Mavericks
MICHIGAN STATEFRESHMAN

HEIGHT: 6'10"
POSITION: PF
WEIGHT: 225 LBS
Marvin Bagley III

Atlanta Hawks
DUKEFRESHMAN

HEIGHT: 6'11"
WEIGHT: 220 LBS
Collin Sexton

Orlando Magic
ALABAMAFRESHMAN

HEIGHT: 6'2"
POSITION: PG
WEIGHT: 184 LBS
Michael Porter Jr

Chicago Bulls
MISSOURIFRESHMAN

POSITION: SF/PF
WEIGHT: 216 LBS
Mikal Bridges

Sacramento Kings
VILLANOVAJUNIOR

POSITION: SG/SF
WEIGHT: 210 LBS
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Cleveland Cavaliers
KENTUCKYFRESHMAN

HEIGHT: 6' 6"
WEIGHT: 181 LBS
Wendell Carter

New York Knicks
DUKEFRESHMAN

WEIGHT: 257 LBS
Trae Young

Philadelphia 76ers
OKLAHOMAFRESHMAN

WEIGHT: 180 LBS
Miles Bridges

Charlotte Hornets
MICHIGAN STATESOPHOMORE

WEIGHT: 230 LBS
Mohamed Bamba

Los Angeles Clippers
TEXASFRESHMAN

Aaron Holiday

Los Angeles Clippers
UCLAJUNIOR

HEIGHT: 6' 1"
WEIGHT: 185 LBS
Jacob Evans

Denver Nuggets
CINCINNATIJUNIOR

POSITION: SF
Troy Brown

Washington Wizards
OREGONFRESHMAN

HEIGHT: 6'6"
Dzanan Musa

Phoenix Suns
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,011

Post#1103 » by DaGawd » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:37 pm

LOL Bamba at 12 is highway robbery
BaF
Washington Wizards
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,069

Post#1104 » by GONYK » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:39 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:Steve Kyler's new mock has M.Bamba sitting there at #9 and us passing on him for W.Carter.

Spoiler:
We Have A Draft Order
The NBA announced the final draft order (reflected in this mock) for the non-draft lottery teams. There were several ties that were broken by a coin flip at last week’s NBA Board of Governors meeting in New York.

There are also some remaining key dates to keep in mind for this draft season:

The NBA’s Early Entry deadline is April 22. All underclassmen that wish to be included for draft consideration must declare in writing to the NBA, by that date.

The NBA Draft Lottery will be held in Chicago on May 15. The annual NBA Draft Combine will get underway on May 16, also in Chicago. In any given draft year, roughly 70 percent of players invited to the Combine end up being drafted into the NBA, so a Combine invite is a significant milestone.

The NCAA requires all players wishing to maintain their college eligibility, without penalty, to withdraw from the NBA Draft by 11:59 pm on May 30. That is an NCAA mandated date, not related to anything involving the NBA, and that notice must be delivered in writing.

The NBA’s draft withdrawal date is June 11 by 5:00 pm ET. The NBA’s date allows a prospect to remain NBA draft eligible for future NBA drafts and is not related to any NCAA rule or date. There are ways for college players that did not accept benefits to return to college, however, they may be subject to NCAA penalties.

Here is this week’s 2018 NBA Mock Draft, based on the final pre-draft lottery draft order:

DeAndre Ayton

Phoenix Suns
ARIZONAFRESHMAN

WEIGHT: 245 LBS
Luka Doncic

Memphis Grizzlies
REAL MADRIDINTERNATIONAL

WEIGHT: 218 LBS
Jaren Jackson Jr.

Dallas Mavericks
MICHIGAN STATEFRESHMAN

WEIGHT: 225 LBS
Marvin Bagley III

Atlanta Hawks
DUKEFRESHMAN

HEIGHT: 6'11"
WEIGHT: 220 LBS
Collin Sexton

Orlando Magic
ALABAMAFRESHMAN

WEIGHT: 184 LBS
Michael Porter Jr

Chicago Bulls
MISSOURIFRESHMAN

Mikal Bridges

Sacramento Kings
VILLANOVAJUNIOR

POSITION: SG/SF
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Cleveland Cavaliers
KENTUCKYFRESHMAN

WEIGHT: 181 LBS
Wendell Carter

New York Knicks
DUKEFRESHMAN

WEIGHT: 257 LBS
Trae Young

Philadelphia 76ers
OKLAHOMAFRESHMAN

WEIGHT: 180 LBS
Miles Bridges

Charlotte Hornets
MICHIGAN STATESOPHOMORE

WEIGHT: 230 LBS
Mohamed Bamba

Los Angeles Clippers
TEXASFRESHMAN

Aaron Holiday

Los Angeles Clippers
UCLAJUNIOR

HEIGHT: 6' 1"
WEIGHT: 185 LBS
Jacob Evans

Denver Nuggets
CINCINNATIJUNIOR

POSITION: SF
Troy Brown

Washington Wizards
OREGONFRESHMAN

HEIGHT: 6'6"
Dzanan Musa

Phoenix Suns

This mock would be very close to my nightmare
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1105 » by newyorker4ever » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:47 pm

Yeah i can't see us passing on M.Bamba especially after Mills/Perry just talked about how they see KP playing PF where he likes playing as of now and i also like KP at PF. Put Bamba at center playing next to KP and we're good for as long time in and around the paint. I do like W.Carter though and wouldn't be mad at the pick but not passing on Bamba if he somehow falls to #9.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#1106 » by knickstape4ever » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:57 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:Yeah i can't see us passing on M.Bamba especially after Mills/Perry just talked about how they see KP playing PF where he likes playing as of now and i also like KP at PF. Put Bamba at center playing next to KP and we're good for as long time in and around the paint. I do like W.Carter though and wouldn't be mad at the pick but not passing on Bamba if he somehow falls to #9.

I think mills and Perry prefer KP at C. When asked about KP's position, Mills first used the word center before saying power forward
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#1107 » by taj2133 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:15 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:Yeah i can't see us passing on M.Bamba especially after Mills/Perry just talked about how they see KP playing PF where he likes playing as of now and i also like KP at PF. Put Bamba at center playing next to KP and we're good for as long time in and around the paint. I do like W.Carter though and wouldn't be mad at the pick but not passing on Bamba if he somehow falls to #9.

I think mills and Perry prefer KP at C. When asked about KP's position, Mills first used the word center before saying power forward

Problem with kp at the center position is kp is a bad rebounder i need to average at least 10 rebounds a game i just don't see it happening for kp at center.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1108 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:22 pm

taj2133 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

Problem with kp at the center position is kp is a bad rebounder i need to average at least 10 rebounds a game i just don't see it happening for kp at center.

KP doesn't need to average 10 rebounds a game to be a good center. He needs to keep his man off the glass. Robin Lopez is an incredibly good team rebounder because he kept his guys off the glass and allowed his teammates to go after the boards. KP can average 4 rebounds per game, but as long as the team outrebounds the other team when he's on the court(has a higher RB% than the other team), that's all that matters.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1109 » by newyorker4ever » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:37 pm

taj2133 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

A bad rebounder while playing PF that is, and when you're playing with Kanter next to you who is a beast at rebounding then i don't care who's playing PF cause they aren't gonna beat Kanter to the rebound unless the ball bounces away from the paint. Either way i don't mind having KP as our starting PF if we can get a true center in the draft that plays both sides of the ball especially defense.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1110 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:38 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
taj2133 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

A bad rebounder while playing PF that is, and when you're playing with Kanter next to you who is a beast at rebounding then i don't care who's playing PF cause they aren't gonna beat Kanter to the rebound.

Kanter should not be in the Knicks’ plans going forward.
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,590

Post#1111 » by Meat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:38 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
taj2133 wrote:
knickstape4ever wrote:

A bad rebounder while playing PF that is, and when you're playing with Kanter next to you who is a beast at rebounding then i don't care who's playing PF cause they aren't gonna beat Kanter to the rebound unless the ball bounces away from the paint.

bad rebounder while playing 23 feet away from the rim
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1112 » by newyorker4ever » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:41 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
taj2133 wrote:Problem with kp at the center position is kp is a bad rebounder i need to average at least 10 rebounds a game i just don't see it happening for kp at center.

A bad rebounder while playing PF that is, and when you're playing with Kanter next to you who is a beast at rebounding then i don't care who's playing PF cause they aren't gonna beat Kanter to the rebound.

Kanter would be the best backup center in the NBA and if we could get him for the right price while getting a better defensive center then i'd love to have Kanter. His rebounding and offense is absolutely great and he's a great teammate who the other players love having around on the court and in the locker room.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1113 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:48 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Kanter would be the best backup center in the NBA and if we could get him for the right price while getting a better defensive center then i'd love to have Kanter. His rebounding and offense is absolutely great and he's a great teammate who the other players love having around on the court and in the locker room.

If he were the best backup C in the league, teams must be dying to get him...right? But they’re not. Why? Because they know his rebounding is a result of his lack of contesting shots, he’s an atrocious defender, and is a black hole on offense who stagnates and clogs the offense. The Knicks play like a 27 win team with him on the court and a 34 win team with him off (-7). Meanwhile, KOQ has a +10 differential.

Kanter hould not be in the Knicks’ plans going forward. Not sure how people think otherwise, but I guess to each his own.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#1114 » by King of Canada » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:50 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:

If he were the best backup C in the league, teams must be dying to get him...right? But they’re not. Why? Because they know his rebounding is a result of his lack of contesting shots, he’s an atrocious defender, and is a black hole on offense who stagnates and clogs the offense. The Knicks play like a 27 win team with him on the court and a 34 win team with him off (-7). Meanwhile, KOQ has a +10 differential.

Kanter hould not be in the Knicks’ plans going forward. Not sure how people think otherwise, but I guess to each his own.

Can't wait to see how close Kanter's contract is to KOQ's
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1115 » by newyorker4ever » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:56 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:

How do you know if any teams are dying to get him or not? You don't cause that would be impossible for anyone that doesn't work for any team to know. As i said, "for the right price" i think plenty of teams would love to get him to be their backup center. I never said he wasn't a bad defender and actually said he was a bad defender soooo.......

Just because some fans think he shouldn't be in the Knicks plans going forward doesn't mean those fans are right and many fans do think he should be in their plans and not only fans but people actually in and around the game think so as well. To each their own i guess. It's all about the price and i'm sure plenty of teams will have interest in him at the right price which means he does have value....unless you don't think he'll get another job in the NBA?
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#1116 » by newyorker4ever » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:58 pm

King of Canada wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

They should be very close to the same. I think a good price for Kanter would be around $10 mil per and KOQ around $8 mil per but wouldn't shock me if both got more.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#1117 » by King of Canada » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:04 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
King of Canada wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:

They should be very close to the same. I think a good price for Kanter would be around $10 mil per and KOQ around $8 mil per but wouldn't shock me if both got more.

I'm thinking the same thing
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#1118 » by HEZI » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:13 pm

KOQ is pretty terrible and I think people tend to forget just how bad he's been. Especially when he was 25 and we first signed him, that first year he was here my goodness was he awful. He was awful last year too. This year he's been better than the previous years but still bad. Dude is 28 years old now, I don't think anybody should really be hoping he comes back. This is like his peak and as soon as he gets paid you know he's going on that decline back to being as terrible as he's been before.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1119 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:22 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

How do you know if any teams are dying to get him or not? You don't cause that would be impossible for anyone that doesn't work for any team to know. As i said, "for the right price" i think plenty of teams would love to get him to be their backup center. I never said he wasn't a bad defender and actually said he was a bad defender soooo.......

Just because some fans think he shouldn't be in the Knicks plans going forward doesn't mean those fans are right and many fans do think he should be in their plans and not only fans but people actually in and around the game think so as well. To each their own i guess. It's all about the price and i'm sure plenty of teams will have interest in him at the right price which means he does have value....unless you don't think he'll get another job in the NBA?

It's always semantics with you. Always. You're right, I don't know. However, from the lack of rumors and OKC dying to get rid of him last year, I think it's safe to say that teams do not want him. In today's NBA, guys like him, Monroe, Jefferson, Okafor, etc have no place in rotations. If they do, it's a very minimal one as a 10 minutes per game guy. They're not really at the top of team's wish boards no matter the price - Monroe signed for the min, IIRC, and he's rarely playing.

Anyways, I'm bowing out of this conversation.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Post#1120 » by Knicksfan1992 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:27 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
how is that any better than KP, Frank,and Mikal? Seems like we would be shuffling the deck just to shuffle it

Purely hypothetical not saying I want to trade KP, but the benefits would obviously be having Luka on a cheap contract for 4 more seasons without any injuries.

I guess, but the downside is KP is already an all-star that as proven he can be a #1 option in the NBA (and I love Luka). KP also a difference maker on the defensive end when Luka is not. So no I would shuffle that deck of cards yet...unless for some reason like I said you got clear word from KP's camp he has no plans to sign that extension (which I would doubt). Thats too much $$$ for him to pass up.

I don't know if the bolded is true. He's been rather inefficient for a big guy the past 3 years. I think KP can be your best player on a good team but not necessarily your outright number 1 option as of yet. He still doesn't have the off the dribble game to be bonafide #1 I think. I don't know if you can build the team going forward assuming KP is your go-to scorer. At the very least you would need to have 2 bonafide number 2's with him IMO. Might have been the reasoning behind the Timmy gamble.

Return to New York Knicks