ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/18 Draft and College Thread Part 9 - also pick 9?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,924

Re: 2017/18 Draft and College Thread Part 9 - also pick 9? 

Post#1261 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:09 pm

knickstape4ever wrote:
taj2133 wrote:Villanova redshirt freshman forward Omari Spellman (Cleveland, Ohio) will enter his name into the 2018 National Basketball Association Draft process but won’t hire an agent, it was announced today. Spellman was tabbed BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and Philadelphia Big Five Rookie of the Year for his work in 2017-18. He started 39 of Villanova’s 40 games last season and averaged 10.9 points and 8.0 rebounds as the Wildcats set a school record with 36 victories on their way to the NCAA national championship. Spellman connected on .433 of his attempts from beyond the 3-point arc and led the Wildcats with 59 blocked shots.
http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/04/17/villanovas-omari-spellman-to-enter-the-nba-draft-without-agent/

Spellman always stood out to me as a solid 2nd rounder whenever I watched Nova. High motor player who can play small ball 5 and stretch the floor. Really like his game

waiting for donte divincenzo to pull up with a tape of the championship game like... "who want to sex mutombo?"
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,693

Post#1262 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:18 pm

TheBigBoss wrote:Bamba could develop into an Embiid stopper with his length on defense and his ability to hit the 3 on offense to not allow him to camp out in the paint. If he is available, you take him and don't twice. With that said, no way does he fall to us, unless there is some injury we don't know about, but even then you still take him and dont think twice.

The guy you described is already on our roster lol
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1263 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:41 pm

fatalogic wrote:
Nyk_Fatboy wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:What happened to K.Knox on RealGm? For a while he was the top guy many fans wanted on here including me but now nobody on RealGm wants him.

im kool with this pick as well :o

He was looking pretty raw and passive in the tournament I guess.

Was like that entire season, and then he’s get random bouts of aggression - very Wilson Chandler esque in that regard.

knickstape4ever wrote:
taj2133 wrote:Villanova redshirt freshman forward Omari Spellman (Cleveland, Ohio) will enter his name into the 2018 National Basketball Association Draft process but won’t hire an agent, it was announced today. Spellman was tabbed BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and Philadelphia Big Five Rookie of the Year for his work in 2017-18. He started 39 of Villanova’s 40 games last season and averaged 10.9 points and 8.0 rebounds as the Wildcats set a school record with 36 victories on their way to the NCAA national championship. Spellman connected on .433 of his attempts from beyond the 3-point arc and led the Wildcats with 59 blocked shots.
http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/04/17/villanovas-omari-spellman-to-enter-the-nba-draft-without-agent/

Spellman always stood out to me as a solid 2nd rounder whenever I watched Nova. High motor player who can play small ball 5 and stretch the floor. Really like his game

Paschall has game as well as a small ball 4. Strong, good passer and defender, athletic, etc. Honestly, their entire core (Donte, Brunson, Spellman, Paschall, and Bridges) could very well end up all as rotation guys at worst. Spellman reminds me of a more athletic and better defensive version of Mo Speights.
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#1264 » by taj2133 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:46 pm

Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,023

Post#1265 » by Reign23 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:What happened to K.Knox on RealGm? For a while he was the top guy many fans wanted on here including me but now nobody on RealGm wants him.

im kool with this pick as well :o

m2. I want him, mikal or miles. I just want a wing (badly).
formerly known as knickst4pe
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Post#1266 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:19 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
TheBigBoss wrote:Bamba could develop into an Embiid stopper with his length on defense and his ability to hit the 3 on offense to not allow him to camp out in the paint. If he is available, you take him and don't twice. With that said, no way does he fall to us, unless there is some injury we don't know about, but even then you still take him and dont think twice.

Kanter?
knicksanity
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#1267 » by knicksanity » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:00 am

I like Knox if Mikal is not Available I would trade the Pick to Clippers and Draft Knox and Williams

My problem with Knox is He's lazy chasing his man off the screens and his dribble is HIGH af I think he has all star potential or could be our KUZMA in year 1 :rock: :rock: :rock:
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,354

Post#1268 » by robillionaire » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:50 am

tuna108 wrote:
Knicksfan1992 wrote:

Kanter?

he was talking about luke kornet
mrpoetryNmotion
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,118

Post#1269 » by mrpoetryNmotion » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:53 am

The SF discussion is interesting.

Half the time I was watching Miles this season, I was wondering should I blame him for taking some of these stepback threes or should I blame Izzo's offense? I didn't really feel like Miles was put in the best positions to score...or perhaps maybe he'd just call his own number at times with the shot. I think he's competent enough for the three...I think with him, it all comes down to role and how you use him. I'd prefer him not to create his own shot, but he's not inept, at least. Him finishing on the break, backdoor cuts, would be awesome. I also think he is someone who can competently hit a shot off a catch and shoot or a one dribble pull up. I'm not too worried about Miles and think he's been drug through the mud after his performance against Syracuse.

I think Knox has solid potential...but he'll need a few years to figure it out and I don't even know if he'll do so, completely. I think he's brighter than Wilson, but he doesn't seem to know his role and never seemed to maintain any level of confidence. He has solid tools...he's just sort of an enigma. I wouldn't be upset if we picked him, but I'd take the Bridges over him at this point.

Mikal. I think he's solid, but I question the upside and disagree with the Kawhi comparisons. I can maybe see the Otto comparison with regards to impact, but Otto's less athletic yet more fluid. Fadeaways for days while Mikal seems more mechanical. Mikal's length, though... :o I do wonder about Mikal's iso containment ability against NBA athletes. I've noticed things here and there but it was quite prevalent to me in the championship game. Abdur Rahkman was getting by him too easily (video provided below).

Perhaps the thing that bothers the most about Mikal is his driving/ballhandling/playmaking off the dribble etc. He can obviously finish an oop or a straight line drive impressively, but he just doesn't look good to me when forced to the ball on the floor and get around a defender or two with the dribble. He seems slow with the ball in his hands, not explosive, shows no advanced dribbling moves, and his driving IQ overall seems kind of subpar. I can't really say if he has a good left hand or not (I think Miles is quite impressive with both hands, at least, as a natural lefty). I like that when he's jammed on a drive he can turnaround and shoot over most defenders, or he can slip a pass to the open big when he has the attention of the defense. I think there's room for improvement, but I don't think he'll ever be a consistent threat off the dribble. Wonder how he'd look in whatever offense we end up running next year given our lack of playmakers.

Wouldn't be too upset with any of these guys, but Sexton is intriguing as well...
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,994

Post#1270 » by GONYK » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:26 am

mrpoetryNmotion wrote:The SF discussion is interesting.

Half the time I was watching Miles this season, I was wondering should I blame him for taking some of these stepback threes or should I blame Izzo's offense? I didn't really feel like Miles was put in the best positions to score...or perhaps maybe he'd just call his own number at times with the shot. I think he's competent enough for the three...I think with him, it all comes down to role and how you use him. I'd prefer him not to create his own shot, but he's not inept, at least. Him finishing on the break, backdoor cuts, would be awesome. I also think he is someone who can competently hit a shot off a catch and shoot or a one dribble pull up. I'm not too worried about Miles and think he's been drug through the mud after his performance against Syracuse.

I think Knox has solid potential...but he'll need a few years to figure it out and I don't even know if he'll do so, completely. I think he's brighter than Wilson, but he doesn't seem to know his role and never seemed to maintain any level of confidence. He has solid tools...he's just sort of an enigma. I wouldn't be upset if we picked him, but I'd take the Bridges over him at this point.

Mikal. I think he's solid, but I question the upside and disagree with the Kawhi comparisons. I can maybe see the Otto comparison with regards to impact, but Otto's less athletic yet more fluid. Fadeaways for days while Mikal seems more mechanical. Mikal's length, though... :o I do wonder about Mikal's iso containment ability against NBA athletes. I've noticed things here and there but it was quite prevalent to me in the championship game. Abdur Rahkman was getting by him too easily (video provided below).

Perhaps the thing that bothers the most about Mikal is his driving/ballhandling/playmaking off the dribble etc. He can obviously finish an oop or a straight line drive impressively, but he just doesn't look good to me when forced to the ball on the floor and get around a defender or two with the dribble. He seems slow with the ball in his hands, not explosive, shows no advanced dribbling moves, and his driving IQ overall seems kind of subpar. I can't really say if he has a good left hand or not (I think Miles is quite impressive with both hands, at least, as a natural lefty). I like that when he's jammed on a drive he can turnaround and shoot over most defenders, or he can slip a pass to the open big when he has the attention of the defense. I think there's room for improvement, but I don't think he'll ever be a consistent threat off the dribble. Wonder how he'd look in whatever offense we end up running next year given our lack of playmakers.

Wouldn't be too upset with any of these guys, but Sexton is intriguing as well...

Not for nothing, but almost every Rahkman drive on Bridges was in the first 10 mins of the game, when Nova was barely playing defense, and there was no real back line rotation. It was pretty much the only stretch where he (and Michigan as a whole) scored the entire night. Bridges had gotten into early foul trouble the previous two games, and was looking to avoid that. Bridges has shut down quite a few players much better than Rahkman over the course of the year.

In terms of the rest of your analysis on Mikal, I wouldn't necessarily disagree. He's not a player who will create for himself in isolation. He's very good in the straight line drive, and has some real potential running a PnR, but he should not be your team's primary creator or #1 scoring option.

He is what he is, and he's great at it. I do think that he is a player that has a little ways to go before he hits his ceiling though. He is a late bloomer who has added major pieces to his game each season. Just last year, he wasn't a real scoring threat. His offensive game made a quantum leap each summer at Nova.
knickstape4ever
Head Coach
And1: 7,026

Post#1271 » by knickstape4ever » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:39 am

GONYK wrote:
mrpoetryNmotion wrote:The SF discussion is interesting.

Not for nothing, but almost every Rahkman drive on Bridges was in the first 10 mins of the game, when Nova was barely playing defense, and there was no real back line rotation. It was pretty much the only stretch where he (and Michigan as a whole) scored the entire night. Bridges had gotten into early foul trouble the previous two games, and was looking to avoid that. Bridges has shut down quite a few players much better than Rahkman over the course of the year.

In terms of the rest of your analysis on Mikal, I wouldn't necessarily disagree. He's not a player who will create for himself in isolation. He's very good in the straight line drive, and has some real potential running a PnR, but he should not be your team's primary creator or #1 scoring option.

He is what he is, and he's great at it. I do think that he is a player that has a little ways to go before he hits his ceiling though. He is a late bloomer who has added major pieces to his game each season. Just last year, he wasn't a real scoring threat. His offensive game made a quantum leap each summer at Nova.

Mikal's ceiling is being a great 3 and D guy, but his lack of ability to put the ball on the floor is what I think differentiates Miles from him. Miles may not be the defender (he still grades out as a good defender) but he's got a much more diverse offensive skillset, which gives him a higher ceiling IMO. Also it seems as tho Mikal has a narrow frame that is more or less maxed out. Miles, is a more sturdy athlete

I'd go Miles just because I don't believe he'll bust, and I think he's got a better chance of becoming an all-star than Mikal.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,323

Post#1272 » by drekwins » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:06 am

Idk how anyone can not want Mikal Bridges. He has good size (amazing when considering his arm length), he is known as a + defender and most impressively, his shooting percentages are amazing (85%+ from the line and 40%+ from 3). What am I missing?
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#1273 » by Jose7 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:11 am

mikal is going to be an awesome pro...and that 7'2"wingspan..

lawd.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,738

Post#1274 » by Fat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:56 am

drekwins wrote:Idk how anyone can not want Mikal Bridges. He has good size (amazing when considering his arm length), he is known as a + defender and most impressively, his shooting percentages are amazing (85%+ from the line and 40%+ from 3). What am I missing?

mainly how well of a player he will be when challenged to make a play putting the ball on the floor via creating at the NBA level. But even if he's not great in that area i think his elite defending and shooting potential makes up for it + solid athleticism.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,340

Post#1275 » by Worst_to_First » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:13 am

Jose7 wrote:mikal is going to be an awesome pro...and that 7'2"wingspan..

lawd.

Longer wingspan than Bagley and Porter.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#1276 » by Polk377 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:04 am

drekwins wrote:Idk how anyone can not want Mikal Bridges. He has good size (amazing when considering his arm length), he is known as a + defender and most impressively, his shooting percentages are amazing (85%+ from the line and 40%+ from 3). What am I missing?

He is already 21 which makes many people believe he might be close to his ceiling already. He will be a good player but might never be a star. He could be a really good glue guy that really solidifies a team though. I don't see him falling past Cleveland.
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,599

Post#1277 » by El Poochio » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:47 pm

"Hello Frank, meet the tall Frank"

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#1278 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:00 pm

If he’s there, Mikal that is, you take him and run. These guys are prospects. They can work to improve or they can get lazy and complacent just being in the league.
People talk about his ability to create: I don’t ever think I seen Klay take more than three dribbles in a possession and don’t recall ever seeing the hint of a shifty or creative handle. His defense, length, shooting ability, b-ball IQ, work ethic and winning pedigree are too much to pass up if he’s available. Let’s not get cute here. I think we are all preparing ourselves for the contingencies in the case he’s not there and readying ourselves for settling for a consolation of Miles or Kevin or Wendell or Colin. I think Miles could be a star. Key word being “think” but I’m certain Mikal will be a solid pro at the minimum. Err on the side of wingkspan, shooting ability, defensive instincts and make up every time.

The only guy I really don’t want is gaining momentum here in Carter. The top six (Ayton, Luka, JJJ, Bagley, Porter and Bomba) are a given. I’m intrigued with Trae Young. He really, REALLY got some Curry to him. And he’s already a purer (if not willing) passer. If he’s there we HAVE TO take a long look. And that’s coming from a huge Frankie at point guard fan.

Sexton might be Westbrook, they say. If he is, he’s likely not there at nine. So I’m good. Maybe not the most sound theory on why to not draft him but there’s something about us game that gives me pause. Truth is this draft is really deep and we are gonna get a good prospect regardless. But my personal board is coming together. Again, my board.

1. Luka: gives KP his long term playmaking wing. Silver really needs to hook us up. Ayton is maybe the higher upside guy but Luka and KP would be a special pairing IMO

2. Ayton: I ain’t crazy. I just think Luka is a better fit. But these two are splitting hairs.

3. Porter: if the back checks out and just as importantly, he can convince me he has a killer in him, he’s the third guy to me. I totally discount his freshman season. Again, the back and the stones.

4. Bomba: I don’t understand why people seem to be souring in this kid. He has Gobert length with more spring in his legs and the semblance of an offensive game. The fit with KP upfront is a question mark but his upside is undeniable. It wouldn’t be the worst problem to have. And he’s a local kid. Super smart too.

5. Bagley: I have him lower than most and I nearly have JJJ higher. But I’m gonna fine tooth comb his game a little more as we get closer to the draft. But in casually watching him I saw a really good player. I just was wowed in what I saw of the other guys more. Even slotting him here is mostly off reputation but imma take another long look.

6. JJJ: I know as the season went on he started showing signs of immaturity but he’s a kid. You gotta expect that. His defense, fluidity and scoring ability stood out every time I watched him. Even though I was really trying to see what Miles was doing.

7. Trae: he’s looking like Curry at 19. And Curry at 19 looked like he’d top out as Luther Head or Eddie House on the right team. If he can be reigned in a little and gains some man strength he is gonna he a really good one. I’m more excited by his passing than his shooting. Again, he’s 19 and not a finished product. Can’t overlook the season he had.

8. Mikal: he’d scare me if we were higher but in the event we are at nine on the clock and he’s sitting there, we’d be getting a steal. His game has been dissected here and everywhere. He has a clearly defined floor and an intriguing, still to be determined upside as a pro. I don’t think he’s here for us tho.

9. SGA: lowkey has the most upside of any pg in the draft on both sides of the ball. Needs work but isn’t some unrefined raw athlete with no head on the floor. I think you put him with Frank and run.

10. Miles: tweeners are all the rave in the NBA now.
This one is an elite athlete. If he were two inches taller he’d have been a top three pick. And that’s last year.
I love lefties especially interior players. Tim is really the only guy that consistently gets out and runs on our team.
Imagine this guy on the other side. We have needs. A lot.
It’s not like we don’t need a big time athletic target in transition. He’s to Scott what I believe Frank was to Phil last year around this time.

11. Lonnie Walker: If he wows in interviews I’m taking him over Mr. Wendell for sure. Sometimes watching him he looks like Shump. Other times he looks like Donovan Mitchell. If he finds his game somewhere between, that’s a pretty good player....really cuz Donovan is so damn good.

12. Wendell: don’t kill me. Another need: excitement. He doesn’t excite me. He’s a solid player and he’s gonna be a ten year starter somewhere. Solid value but he’s a safe big guy. We need exciting upside.

13. Robert Williams
14. Colin Sexton
15. Mitchell Robinson: specimen. Gotta see where his head is.
16. Dsanan Musa: would been the euro of interest if there was no Luka.
17. Donte Div....yeah
18. Kevin Knox
19. Zhaire Smith
20. Grayson Allen: don’t sleep on dude.
21. Isaac Bonga: I don’t get the tepid interest in a 19 year old 6’9” pg prospect
22. Kostas Antetokumpbo: see Bonga in regards to the little buzz. We need upside. Even if he’s a 6’11” Thanasis and not Giannis that’s a good player this deep in the draft to take a shot on.
23. Rawle Alkins: Born just as ready?
24. Brandon McCoy
25. Gary Trent Jr
26. Chandler Hutchinson
27. Bonzi Colson: medical testing will be huge for him. Got some Draymond about him.
28. Alize Johnson
29. Khyri Thomas
30. Keita Bates-Diop
31. Hamidou Diallo
32. Grayson Allen
33. Tony Carr
34. Malik Newman
35: Austin Wiley
36. Justin Jackson
37. Omari Spellman
38. Shake Milton
39. Jontay Porter
40. Melvin Frazier
41. Mo Wagner
42. Bruce Brown
43. DeAnthony Melton
44. Trevon Duval
45. Anfernee Simons
46. Jerome Robinson
47. Sviatoslav Mykhal....you know him!
48. Kelan Martin
49. Caleb Martin
50. Jevon Carter
51. Wenyen Gabriel
52. Devonte Graham
53. Sagaba Konate
54. Rodions Kurucs
55. Tyus Battle
56. Chimezie Metu
57. Josh Okogie
58. Angel Delgado
59. Jalen Brunson
60. Alonzo Trier
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1279 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Some of those guys are overrated and others underrated heavily, IMO. :-?
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1280 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:11 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:Some of those guys are overrated and others underrated heavily, IMO. :-?

very :lol:

Return to New York Knicks