ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/18 Draft and College Thread Part 9 - also pick 9?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,686

Re: 2017/18 Draft and College Thread Part 9 - also pick 9? 

Post#1281 » by shtolky » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:14 pm

Excitement should never be a factor in determining who to select. Carter is so much better than #12. If he's Al Horford and helps you win games, screw excitement. You know what generates excitement? Winning.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#1282 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:28 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:Some of those guys are overrated and others underrated heavily, IMO. :-?

Not a mock. Just whom I’m most interested in.
Pre lotto, pre everything. Not arguing who’s better but just my opinion on whom I’d like to see paired up with KP/Frank long term. Jalen Brunson is likely a late first on most teams’ boards. Good player. Not what we need. Not highest in our to do totem pole.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#1283 » by malik959 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Mikal's cieling on offense could be pretty much what we get with THJ but with smarter shot selection and better consistency. With him you know excactly what your getting and he greatly improves an area where we are the worst in the nation which is why getting Trae Young would be the biggest mistake.

Miles, being a year younger, has the biggest upside, he's a gym.......rat and he's as strong as an ox. Both have greatly improved their ball handling and shooting sense coming into the league, But People talk about Miles being a tweener and that he would have issues in the NBA? I just don't see it. He's an inch shorter than Melo but has longer arms (7ft. Wingspan) and has a 40' vert. He's no slouch on defense and with his strength he should have no problems guarding bigger guys. With that it should illiminate the tweener issuse because unlike the 90's NBA teams today are going smaller at Power forward and plus as said before he has a 7ft wingspan. I don't see either having problems learning and improving their moves
, which we've already seen from both of them.

Unlike the Bridges boys, Knox will take longer to improve. He's coming into the league similar to Jonathan Isaac. Rail thin at small forward. With ball dominant players in SGA and Diallo and having a coach that in a lot of ways does not allow their players to show case all of their talents, Knox could actually become the best forward coming out in this draft but at the same time be the biggest bust. Thing is we'll never know until after the first 3 years because he'll take the longest, that's why he's the gamble and should not be taken in the top ten and for a team that has no patients (Knicks) Like taking Frank at 8 could cause a lot of arguements on certain message boards until he actually shows his improvements.

So who do you go with:
Mikal (know what your getting 3&D, instantly improves your worst negitive, high floor low ceiling) Starter

Miles (physical beast, possible star in the making, mid floor high ceiling ) starter

Knox (may have the best ceiling, but the lowest floor and may take years) bench player for at lease 3 yrs

With us dropping to 9 i'm having deja vue where we're not going to get who we really need in Mikal, but unlik other drafts we could still end up with an exciting player in Miles. It's like Frank vs Mitchell all over again, having the great defender or the athletic beast.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#1284 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:34 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:Some of those guys are overrated and others underrated heavily, IMO. :-?

Why don't we get many people talking about Shai Gilgeous Alexander on here? I'd like to know what you think about him and his fit for this Knicks team? I like both him and C.Sexton for us as long as a big name we're not expecting to drop does drop to us. I think we should try to get rid of E.Mudiay this off season but don't think anyone would trade anything for him.

SGA and Frank in the back court would be crazy defensively for us with their length and SGA actually has good offense with shooting and getting around guys and to the basket.

I know most love Mikal, as do i, and if he's there i'm taking him but if he isn't would you take him over W.Carter, C.Sexton, Miles Bridges, K.Knox??
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1285 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:36 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:

Not a mock. Just whom I’m most interested in.
Pre lotto, pre everything. Not arguing who’s better but just my opinion on whom I’d like to see paired up with KP/Frank long term. Jalen Brunson is likely a late first on most teams’ boards. Good player. Not what we need. Not highest in our to do totem pole.

Yeah, I know. I just think some of it is off. Good on you for making (and posting) a big board like that, though.
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM

Post#1286 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:39 pm

shtolky wrote:Excitement should never be a factor in determining who to select. Carter is so much better than #12. If he's Al Horford and helps you win games, screw excitement. You know what generates excitement? Winning.

Horford would be cool. If he has a chance at being Al then Miles has a chance of being LJ or Barkley. Who’d you rather have? Again, prospects. Pre everything. The Knicks and what we need. We need Michael Porter more than Jalen Brunson, no? It’s not in a vacuum. And it’s only my opinion. Trades, free agency plans, medicals, etc are gonna completely jack up my list. And even if you think Al Horford is a steal at nine, I guarantee your list is gonna be completely jacked up soon too. No one had Deandre Jordan falling to the second round. No one had Thon Maker in the lotto. If Mil hadn’t selected him, chances are he could’ve went twenty picks later. So yeah, I’m taking Bonga over Omari Spellman.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1287 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:43 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:

Why don't we get many people talking about Shai Gilgeous Alexander on here? I'd like to know what you think about him and his fit for this Knicks team? I like both him and C.Sexton for us as long as a big name we're not expecting to drop does drop to us. I think we should try to get rid of E.Mudiay this off season but don't think anyone would trade anything for him.

SGA and Frank in the back court would be crazy defensively for us with their length and SGA actually has good offense with shooting and getting around guys and to the basket.

I know most love Mikal, as do i, and if he's there i'm taking him but if he isn't would you take him over W.Carter, C.Sexton, Miles Bridges, K.Knox??

Part of me thinks SGA can be what Livingston (or Exum) was supposed to be, but better defensively. I see shades of both Rozier and Bledsoe in Sexton's game. Not sure who I'd have first at the moment, but I think SGA might get the edge. What gives me pause is Sexton's burst (has edge there) and his demeanor. SGA needs work on his shot, though. The %s were there, but sample size is small - which means the base is there.

As of now, I think I'd take Carter over the names you said if Mikal isn't there. It's tough, though - which is why if Mikal is not there, I'd look into trading the pick and trying to get two mid first round picks. Somehow ending up with both Clippers' picks and getting two guys would be better than just getting one of the non-Mikal players (that would be available at 9).

I do want us to try and get Justin Jackson in the mid to late 20s (don't be surprised if he rises, though) and/or DeAndre Hunter (but he screams Spurs pick to me).
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#1288 » by taj2133 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:50 pm

The interesting thing that nobody is taking about is this say mark jackson or david fizdale is the coach of the knicks who would they draft and let just say knicks won the lottery got number 1 who would they pick.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,392

Post#1289 » by robillionaire » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:51 pm

I'm a big UK fan and I like SGA but I pray we stay away from him. Look at the league. This is a shooters league and this team has been severely lacking in that department. We can't draft any more players, especially guards who can't shoot or need to work on their shot.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1290 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:51 pm

taj2133 wrote:The interesting thing that nobody is taking about is this say mark jackson or david fizdale is the coach of the knicks who would they draft and let just say knicks won the lottery got number 1 who would they pick.

Coaches don't decide who is picked. They might have input, but that's it. POBO/GM decide in coordination with the scouting department and then they listen to what coaches have to say.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#1291 » by dakomish23 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

If we get a 2nd pick in the teens, he should be in consideration.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,046

Re: RE: Re: 2017/18 Draft and College Thread Part 9 - also pick 9? 

Post#1292 » by GONYK » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:53 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:
shtolky wrote:Excitement should never be a factor in determining who to select. Carter is so much better than #12. If he's Al Horford and helps you win games, screw excitement. You know what generates excitement? Winning.

Horford would be cool. If he has a chance at being Al then Miles has a chance of being LJ or Barkley. Who’d you rather have? Again, prospects. Pre everything. The Knicks and what we need. We need Michael Porter more than Jalen Brunson, no? It’s not in a vacuum. And it’s only my opinion. Trades, free agency plans, medicals, etc are gonna completely jack up my list. And even if you think Al Horford is a steal at nine, I guarantee your list is gonna be completely jacked up soon too. No one had Deandre Jordan falling to the second round. No one had Thon Maker in the lotto. If Mil hadn’t selected him, chances are he could’ve went twenty picks later. So yeah, I’m taking Bonga over Omari Spellman.

I think Omari goes back to school without a first round promise anyway.

Same for Donte DiVincenzo
Toranaga
Rookie
And1: 845

Post#1293 » by Toranaga » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Zhaire Smith is my guy if the draft unfolds the way that I think it will (Mikal gone by #9).

Aside from HS recruiting rankings, what do these other guys in the 9-20 range have over him? Love this guy's game. Turning 19 in June.

1. Has a nice feel for the game (good passer, cutter, knows where to be on the court)
2. Was a great defender at Tech and projects to be able to defend 1-3. GREAT motor.
3. Might be the best athlete in the draft and is very fluid and coordinated.
4. I think he can be a good shooter (small sample size on his %'s this year, but the mechanics are sound. Slow release though.)
5. Very good physical traits (6-10 Wingspan, wide shoulders)

He needs a lot of work on his handle and shot creation, but I've seen flashes in those are areas that you can be confident that you will be able to build on them. When I watch him vs. Miles Bridges, Sexton, etc., I just don't see them as anything that makes those guys better prospects than him. I have great doubt that the Knicks will pick him, but a man can hope.

Nice write up on him here. https://www.thestepien.com/2018/01/25/zhaire-smith-surprise-freshman-stud/
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1294 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:55 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
taj2133 wrote:The interesting thing that nobody is taking about is this say mark jackson or david fizdale is the coach of the knicks who would they draft and let just say knicks won the lottery got number 1 who would they pick.

Coaches don't decide who is picked. They might have input, but that's it. POBO/GM decide in coordination with the scouting department and then they listen to what coaches have to say.

BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: 2017/18 Draft and College Thread Part 9 - also pick 9? 

Post#1295 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:56 pm

GONYK wrote:
BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:

I think Omari goes back to school without a first round promise anyway.

Same for Donte DiVincenzo

I hesitated even including Donte for that reason.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#1296 » by newyorker4ever » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:56 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Part of me thinks SGA can be what Livingston (or Exum) was supposed to be, but better defensively. I see shades of both Rozier and Bledsoe in Sexton's game. Not sure who I'd have first at the moment, but I think SGA might get the edge. What gives me pause is Sexton's burst (has edge there) and his demeanor. SGA needs work on his shot, though. The %s were there, but sample size is small - which means the base is there.

As of now, I think I'd take Carter over the names you said if Mikal isn't there. It's tough, though - which is why if Mikal is not there, I'd look into trading the pick and trying to get two mid first round picks. Somehow ending up with both Clippers' picks and getting two guys would be better than just getting one of the non-Mikal players (that would be available at 9).

I do want us to try and get Justin Jackson in the mid to late 20s (don't be surprised if he rises, though) and/or DeAndre Hunter (but he screams Spurs pick to me).

I like Sexton as well but if we're talking about SGA needing to work on his shot then i'd say Sexton needs to work on his more wouldn't you? I like both cause whoever we take with our 1st rounder needs to be good/great on defense but if it's not a big man then they also need to be able to shoot cause we have enough guys that aren't great shooters as it is. I really like both Sexton and SGA but that length SGA has is fantastic and he could guard 1 thru 3 and even some 4's, then you look at Sexton and he just has that drive in him and you know he's gonna be great and will work hard on his shot.

If we actually had solid proof that W.Carter would be the next Horford it would be an easy decision for me to take him and would even give thought to taking him over Mikal.

I'm always about the trade down because after those top tier guys i think the guys you can get at say 10 you can also get in the teens and maybe even 20's so if we could trade down and get two 1st rounders in the teens to mid 20's then i'm all about it cause we're a team that still has 2-3-4 years of building to do.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1297 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:59 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:

SVG and Pop hold dual positions. As for Carlisle, I haven't seen anything saying he selected the player - always under impression that it was Nelson. Seems to me the Mavs are run like every other organization without dual position coaches (and from what I've been told how every organization with a "normal" front office is run like) - coaches have some input, but that's it.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,499

Post#1298 » by Fat Kat » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:59 pm

Miles Bridges
Team: Michigan State Spartans
Position: Forward
DOB: 3/21/1998
Hometown: Flint, Michigan
Height: 6’6 ¼” (199cm)
Weight: 226lbs (103kg)
Wingspan: 6’8 ¾” (205cm)
Current 2018 draft position: 6

I want to know how his reach has grown 4 inches.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1299 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:01 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:

SVG and Pop hold dual positions. As for Carlisle, I haven't seen anything saying he selected the player - always under impression that it was Nelson. Seems to me the Mavs are run like every other organization without dual position coaches (and from what I've been told how every organization with a "normal" front office is run like) - coaches have some input, but that's it.

Listen. Im very techincal so I had to get you with the small crack you gave me :lol: :lol:
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1300 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:01 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

I like Sexton as well but if we're talking about SGA needing to work on his shot then i'd say Sexton needs to work on his more wouldn't you? I like both cause whoever we take with our 1st rounder needs to be good/great on defense but if it's not a big man then they also need to be able to shoot cause we have enough guys that aren't great shooters as it is. I really like both Sexton and SGA but that length SGA has is fantastic and he could guard 1 thru 3 and even some 4's, then you look at Sexton and he just has that drive in him and you know he's gonna be great and will work hard on his shot.

If we actually had solid proof that W.Carter would be the next Horford it would be an easy decision for me to take him and would even give thought to taking him over Mikal.

I'm always about the trade down because after those top tier guys i think the guys you can get at say 10 you can also get in the teens and maybe even 20's so if we could trade down and get two 1st rounders in the teens to mid 20's then i'm all about it cause we're a team that still has 2-3-4 years of building to do.

Yah, Sexton does need work on his shot. I never said otherwise, just didn't mention it. He needs some tweaks with his form, though.

There's obviously no solid proof that any player will be as good as their projected player (or as good as they're projected to be), but that doesn't (and shouldn't) deter anyone from selecting him.

Return to New York Knicks