ImageImageImageImageImage

Who do you want as coach?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

HC Search

JVG
16%
Fizzy Womack
9%
Jerry Stackhouse
32%
Blatt
14%
Mark Jackson
8%
Jay Wright
11%
Ettore Messina
4%
Mike Woodson
4%
Other
2%

Total votes: 106

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: Who do you want as coach? 

Post#361 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:19 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:Thoughts on blatt? I actually thought he got a raw deal in cleveland and lebron obviously controls all there.

My real concern would be about him being able to handle the NY media and not his ability as a coach.

i wanted him 2 years ago before we hired hornacek and still want him. i think he would be a great hire.

Same here. Never was a fan of Hornacek. He and Stackhouse are 1a/b for me.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,309

Post#362 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:20 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Hornacek would still be here if that was the case...

Disagree. They were clearly not unified with the front office.

Nah that's what I was referring to... So it remains to be seen if it happens with the next coach. Give the guy assurance that developing players is the #1 priority and have these coaches stop coaching for their lives ala rambis.

They did that with Jeff. He had been informed in a public mission statement from the team. W/L aren't important. Player development. Uouth movement. Defense. BUT they also said they wouldn't interfere with Jeff. They trusted him and had room to work. He obviously failed. In a few areas. They fired him. Thr next coach needs to pay attention when the FO gives you the keys to the tank!!!
:beer: RIP mags
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#363 » by whocares1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:23 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Nah that's what I was referring to... So it remains to be seen if it happens with the next coach. Give the guy assurance that developing players is the #1 priority and have these coaches stop coaching for their lives ala rambis.

They did that with Jeff. He had been informed in a public mission statement from the team. W/L aren't important. Player development. Uouth movement. Defense. BUT they also said they wouldn't interfere with Jeff. They trusted him and had room to work. He obviously failed. In a few areas. They fired him. Thr next coach needs to pay attention when the FO gives you the keys to the tank!!!

So when Jeff said starting Mudiay was a management decision, he lied?
knicksanity
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#364 » by knicksanity » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:24 am

If JVG is not on the list. I'm going with Fiz and Blatt. I really doubt Stack sorry but If he's going to accept the AHC I would love that! but what the point of having AHC job if you could land a HC job with Magic or Hornets

Fizz and his choice of AHC or Blatt's system and Woody connections to players
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#365 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:26 am

whocares1 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:

Obviously they had to step in and tell him to stop chasing meaningless wins with vets. One of the reasons he's fired.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,472

Post#366 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:29 am

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:Thoughts on blatt? I actually thought he got a raw deal in cleveland and lebron obviously controls all there.

My real concern would be about him being able to handle the NY media and not his ability as a coach.

i wanted him 2 years ago before we hired hornacek and still want him. i think he would be a great hire.

i would love for us to get stack too. him and blatt are my top choices. i guess i can settle for fiz as well but what happened with him and gasol is kinda a turn off for me. no thx to jackson and woodson
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#367 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:32 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:i wanted him 2 years ago before we hired hornacek and still want him. i think he would be a great hire.

i would love for us to get stack too. him and blatt are my top choices. i guess i can settle for fiz as well but what happened with him and gasol is kinda a turn off for me. no thx to jackson and woodson

I'm hoping we interview Monty Williams, too. I doubt we interview Messina or Udoka, but interviewing Blatt, Stack, Monty, and Fizdale (10000% agreed on the Gasol point) are good for guys who actually matter. Always liked Monty.
whocares1
General Manager

Post#368 » by whocares1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:33 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Obviously they had to step in and tell him to stop chasing meaningless wins with vets. One of the reasons he's fired.

So why didn’t they tell him earlier in the season?
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,304

Post#369 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:37 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
Hornacek would still be here if that was the case...

Alright. Well, one thing is for sure: No healthy organization thrives by breathing down the neck of their head coach. You hope to hire someone on your wavelength and is down with your long-term building strategy, but at some point the coach may use the players you provide them in ways that dissatisfy you as the front office. That happened this season evidently and since Jeff wasn't even their choice, he kind of doomed himself.
ImageImageImage
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,472

Post#370 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:38 am

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:Same here. Never was a fan of Hornacek. He and Stackhouse are 1a/b for me.

I'm hoping we interview Monty Williams, too. I doubt we interview Messina or Udoka, but interviewing Blatt, Stack, Monty, and Fizdale (10000% agreed on the Gasol point) are good for guys who actually matter. Always liked Monty.

i don't know why we aren't interviewing messina or udoka. i mean even charlotte is interviewing messina. messina would be just as good as stack or blatt IMO

i never really followed monty so i don't know how good of a coach he is, but i'll take your word that he would be a good hire as well.
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#371 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:45 am

whocares1 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

Because they were letting him do his thing. Did you forget that part? Once KP went down the focus should have immdeiately shifted to kids. Jeff kept running Jack out there. Then Perry went on record that they expect to see more of the young guys and Jeff dragged his heels. In other words...the words I used before...they laid down what they expected and let him do his thing. He failed.

They stepped in and eventually fired him. They probably wanted him gone before the season ended. It's not hard to figure out.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#372 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:01 am

Messina is being interviewed and not on our list? Smdh
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,828

Post#373 » by Adelheid » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Because they were letting him do his thing. Did you forget that part? Once KP went down the focus should have immdeiately shifted to kids. Jeff kept running Jack out there. Then Perry went on record that they expect to see more of the young guys and Jeff dragged his heels. In other words...the words I used before...they laid down what they expected and let him do his thing. He failed.

They stepped in and eventually fired him. They probably wanted him gone before the season ended. It's not hard to figure out.

Stuff like that can be discussed close-doors. Why does Perry need to go to the media to say that I wonder.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#374 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:27 am

Adelheid wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
whocares1 wrote:

Stuff like that can be discussed close-doors. Why does Perry need to go to the media to say that I wonder.

It probably was said. Then reiterated on the record. Jeff didn't listen. He's fired.
whocares1
General Manager

Post#375 » by whocares1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:43 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Adelheid wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

It probably was said. Then reiterated on the record. Jeff didn't listen. He's fired.

Why would Jeff intentionally disregard what his bosses were asking of him? Why would he do that if his intention was keeping his job? Isn’t it safer to assume that Jeff played for wins because he didn’t feel that management had his back once the season began to unravel? Isn’t it easy to assume that Hornacek was a Phil pick and Mills just wanted his own hire?
Adelheid
RealGM

Post#376 » by Adelheid » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:44 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Adelheid wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

I dont see JVG working out with these conditions if they get him. The guy is too old to put up with rookies. He will try to win it just like the Jeff before him. The coach we need is, again, willing and enjoys developing players.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#377 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:54 am

Adelheid wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Adelheid wrote:

I dont see JVG working out with these conditions if they get him. The guy is too old to put up with rookies. He will try to win it just like the Jeff before him. The coach we need is, again, willing and enjoys developing players.

I don't know. If this is a rebuild...the coach should know coming in. If we have vets...and they are that much better...trade them. If they are not really that much better...put them in their roles. If they don't like it...get rid of them. We didn't have any vets that couldn't beer outplayed by a young talent.

Jeff didn't have to keep playing vets. Kids earned minutes and he yanked them and DNP-CD'd them after. He sucked. He's gone.

If JVG (or anyone) isn't down with a long term approach...don't hire him. They would have to be stupid not to understand that anyway.
Adelheid
RealGM

Post#378 » by Adelheid » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:02 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Adelheid wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

I don't know. If this is a rebuild...the coach should know coming in. If we have vets...and they are that much better...trade them. If they are not really that much better...put them in their roles. If they don't like it...get rid of them. We didn't have any vets that couldn't beer outplayed by a young talent.

Jeff didn't have to keep playing vets. Kids earned minutes and he yanked them and DNP-CD'd them after. He sucked. He's gone.

If JVG (or anyone) isn't down with a long term approach...don't hire him. They would have to be stupid not to understand that anyway.

Candidates can say the words Mills/Perry need to hear to get the job. Doesnt mean they will stay true to their word. Simply put, I dont trust old and retreaded coaches.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#379 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:03 am

whocares1 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Adelheid wrote:

Why would Jeff intentionally disregard what his bosses were asking of him? Why would he do that if his intention was keeping his job? Isn’t it safer to assume that Jeff played for wins because he didn’t feel that management had his back once the season began to unravel? Isn’t it easy to assume that Hornacek was a Phil pick and Mills just wanted his own hire?

Really? All signs point to yes. I'm done with this silly back and forth. I stated the FO exact words and what Jeff did. He didn't follow what the FO wanted. Period. Whether he knew/thougt he was a lame duck or not. He did not do what the FO repeatedly stated they were looking for. They fired him. Being a Phil choice doesn't change anything I said but...probably compounds it. They don't have to be exclusive opinions of what happened. They actually fit hand in hand.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#380 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:07 am

Adelheid wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Adelheid wrote:

Candidates can say the words Mills/Perry need to hear to get the job. Doesnt mean they will stay true to their word. Simply put, I dont trust old and retreaded coaches.

Not sure where you're going with this. Ok. Don't trust them. No argument here. I want Stack and would love Sheed with him!

Return to New York Knicks