ImageImageImageImageImage

Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year

Moderators: moocow007, Capn'O, FrontOfficeEye, magnumt, Thorn, King of Canada, GONYK, NoLayupRule, mrpoetryNmotion, Thugger HBC, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks

User avatar
Tron Carter
General Manager
Posts: 9,120
And1: 6,303
Joined: Jul 20, 2012
Location: NBA Purgatory
 

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#481 » by Tron Carter » Mon May 14, 2018 6:01 pm

BKAY wrote:I think its mind blowing that some think there is only one side to the basketball game. If he isnt scoring , he isnt good. Yet, here is a 19 year old who is out of the gate, one of the best defenders at the guard position IN THE LEAGUE. and its not even over-hyping him in typical knicks fan fashion. The numbers and the eye test corroborate this.


i mean it’s not like the knicks have been getting abused by point guards for over a decade or anything.. why should we value defense at the point guard position.
Frank Ntillmatic aka The French Prince of New York > Midget Smith Jr. #BongaBrigade
NYKAL
Head Coach
Posts: 7,302
And1: 1,413
Joined: Nov 10, 2004
Location: LAND O NOD

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#482 » by NYKAL » Mon May 14, 2018 6:09 pm

people underrate him because he doesn't have any big scoring games and isn't flashy at all but, there is a lot to be said for the fact that dude played hard, showed potential, improved as the year went on, and made very few is any mistakes as a Rook. His understanding of the game and IQ was impressive. I'm happy with him and Trey. Muiday still has to show....SOMETHING
User avatar
Mecca
RealGM
Posts: 28,162
And1: 9,981
Joined: May 26, 2008
Location: Trey & Frank 2K18
     

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#483 » by Mecca » Mon May 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Besart19 wrote:Frank will be our Magic Johnson.

A 6'9 point guard that thrives on open court

Porzingis - Abdul Jabar
Randle - McAdoo
Leonard - Worthy
Bridges - Scott
Ntilikina - Johnson

Fizdale - Baba O'Riley



Stop.
BAF - Brooklyn Nets
1 | Victor Oladipo | TJ McConnell | Jawun Evans
2 | CJ McCollum | Wayne Ellington | Malachi Richardson
3 | Ben Simmons | Caris LeVert | Damyean Dotson
4 | Trey Lyles | Troy Williams | DFS
5 | JaVale McGee | Kevon Looney
Kinglee
Veteran
Posts: 2,998
And1: 1,171
Joined: Feb 20, 2017

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#484 » by Kinglee » Mon May 14, 2018 7:40 pm

NYKAL wrote:people underrate him because he doesn't have any big scoring games and isn't flashy at all but, there is a lot to be said for the fact that dude played hard, showed potential, improved as the year went on, and made very few is any mistakes as a Rook. His understanding of the game and IQ was impressive. I'm happy with him and Trey. Muiday still has to show....SOMETHING


Why when a player shows no offensive skill AT ALL, but they are good defenders we have to say "he has high IQ". His playmaking, his random turnovers, his decision making, his shot selection, all of this stuff goes against the high IQ stuff. But if a player isn't flashy and just out there on the court, he gets called "high IQ". It's the same with Lance Thomas. Dude is a bum and does mad dumb ****, but then a coach wanna call him "high IQ". People just really attach things to players just to say something and sound intellligent.

Ben Simmons = high IQ
Lebron = high IQ
Jokic = high IQ
James Harden = high IQ

Only Knick player that honestly display high IQ consistently is Trey Burke if we are being honest. But he has braids, he shoots a lot, and dribble between his legs so he won't get that credit.
B.A.T. ATLANTA HAWKS

PG: Jeff Teague/Shaun Livingston/Tyus Jones
SG: Danny Green/Kyle Korver/Mike Miller
SF: Kevin Durant/Joe Johnson/James Ennius
PF: Paul Milsap/David West/Jonas Jerebko
C: Tyson Chandler/Bismack Biyombo/Jason Smith
User avatar
Are We Ther Yet
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,531
And1: 3,498
Joined: Nov 07, 2012
       

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#485 » by Are We Ther Yet » Mon May 14, 2018 8:17 pm

NYKAL wrote:people underrate him because he doesn't have any big scoring games and isn't flashy at all but, there is a lot to be said for the fact that dude played hard, showed potential, improved as the year went on, and made very few is any mistakes as a Rook. His understanding of the game and IQ was impressive. I'm happy with him and Trey. Muiday still has to show....SOMETHING


There's a list somewhere in these Frank threads showing the players he SHUT DOWN when he guarded them. It was pretty impressive.

The kid needs to grow into his body. He needs to get stronger. He needs to tighten up his handles. He needs to find his spots on offense. Then we can talk about who he is.

Defensively...he's excellent. Elite in the PnR which is a big part of today's game. Miles ahead of where most rookies ever are.

We could be sitting on a real gem. He should improve this year If he is going to be a good player. We will see it happening from day one.
a knick fan forum. not a "argue ad nauseam about narratives and biases you hold like blood feuds that span decades" forum, you sentient buttplug. - Marty McFly :lol:
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 17,341
And1: 3,911
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#486 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon May 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Who remembers when Frank Ntilikina was considered “injury prone” then when Frank proved that was premature, more excuses continued to roll...
User avatar
Knicksfan20
RealGM
Posts: 17,257
And1: 4,211
Joined: Aug 19, 2006
       

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#487 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:36 pm

Kinglee wrote:
NYKAL wrote:people underrate him because he doesn't have any big scoring games and isn't flashy at all but, there is a lot to be said for the fact that dude played hard, showed potential, improved as the year went on, and made very few is any mistakes as a Rook. His understanding of the game and IQ was impressive. I'm happy with him and Trey. Muiday still has to show....SOMETHING


Why when a player shows no offensive skill AT ALL, but they are good defenders we have to say "he has high IQ". His playmaking, his random turnovers, his decision making, his shot selection, all of this stuff goes against the high IQ stuff. But if a player isn't flashy and just out there on the court, he gets called "high IQ". It's the same with Lance Thomas. Dude is a bum and does mad dumb ****, but then a coach wanna call him "high IQ". People just really attach things to players just to say something and sound intellligent.

Ben Simmons = high IQ
Lebron = high IQ
Jokic = high IQ
James Harden = high IQ

Only Knick player that honestly display high IQ consistently is Trey Burke if we are being honest. But he has braids, he shoots a lot, and dribble between his legs so he won't get that credit.


I think Hornaceks offense is what had Frank uncomfortable. Frank on Defense has a tremendous IQ. It’s almost beautiful (for lack of a better word) to watch him play defense. He’s good on the ball, off the ball, and in pick and roll. On offense he is a bit too passive and Hornacek sucks. I expect a big jump from Frank next season. He’s hungry and ready to show he wasn’t a bust to all his doubters.

I still think he’ll end up being a 2G, but I’m being optimistic that he can lead a team and be the lead ball handler.
Timberwolves: 6
C: Whiteside/Oquinn/J. Allen/Zizic
PF: T. Young/Gay/Anunoby/TJ Leaf
SF: Porter Jr/Gay/Afflalo/Anunoby
SG: Barton/Tyler Johnson /Afflalo
PG: Schroder/Barton/Barrea/Exum
NYKAL
Head Coach
Posts: 7,302
And1: 1,413
Joined: Nov 10, 2004
Location: LAND O NOD

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#488 » by NYKAL » Mon May 14, 2018 9:03 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
NYKAL wrote:people underrate him because he doesn't have any big scoring games and isn't flashy at all but, there is a lot to be said for the fact that dude played hard, showed potential, improved as the year went on, and made very few is any mistakes as a Rook. His understanding of the game and IQ was impressive. I'm happy with him and Trey. Muiday still has to show....SOMETHING


There's a list somewhere in these Frank threads showing the players he SHUT DOWN when he guarded them. It was pretty impressive.

The kid needs to grow into his body. He needs to get stronger. He needs to tighten up his handles. He needs to find his spots on offense. Then we can talk about who he is.

Defensively...he's excellent. Elite in the PnR which is a big part of today's game. Miles ahead of where most rookies ever are.

We could be sitting on a real gem. He should improve this year If he is going to be a good player. We will see it happening from day one.


yup, I remember that. I believe he had the highest rating PnR defense league wide.
NYKAL
Head Coach
Posts: 7,302
And1: 1,413
Joined: Nov 10, 2004
Location: LAND O NOD

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#489 » by NYKAL » Mon May 14, 2018 9:14 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Who remembers when Frank Ntilikina was considered “injury prone” then when Frank proved that was premature, more excuses continued to roll...


I can't remember anyone ever posting that. Must have been on vacation at the time
User avatar
Are We Ther Yet
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,531
And1: 3,498
Joined: Nov 07, 2012
       

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#490 » by Are We Ther Yet » Mon May 14, 2018 9:16 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Who remembers when Frank Ntilikina was considered “injury prone” then when Frank proved that was premature, more excuses continued to roll...


I can't remember anyone ever posting that. Must have been on vacation at the time


That started in pre season. After missing SL he banged knees with someone and people were all over it.
a knick fan forum. not a "argue ad nauseam about narratives and biases you hold like blood feuds that span decades" forum, you sentient buttplug. - Marty McFly :lol:
User avatar
knickstape4ever
Rookie
Posts: 1,082
And1: 412
Joined: Jul 09, 2014
   

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#491 » by knickstape4ever » Mon May 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Really pissed with the narrative the media is writing that Frank has already been written off as a PG and will be an off guard. Hopefully the Knicks themselves haven't given up on him as a potential PG; the talent is there, he's just too young (2nd youngest in league).

I saw an article from Berman saying that Mills seems to be more keen on Frank then Perry. Hope Frank puts in the work and proves the doubters wrong
whocares1
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,737
And1: 2,888
Joined: Oct 31, 2014
     

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#492 » by whocares1 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:24 pm

Kinglee wrote:
NYKAL wrote:people underrate him because he doesn't have any big scoring games and isn't flashy at all but, there is a lot to be said for the fact that dude played hard, showed potential, improved as the year went on, and made very few is any mistakes as a Rook. His understanding of the game and IQ was impressive. I'm happy with him and Trey. Muiday still has to show....SOMETHING


Why when a player shows no offensive skill AT ALL, but they are good defenders we have to say "he has high IQ". His playmaking, his random turnovers, his decision making, his shot selection, all of this stuff goes against the high IQ stuff. But if a player isn't flashy and just out there on the court, he gets called "high IQ". It's the same with Lance Thomas. Dude is a bum and does mad dumb ****, but then a coach wanna call him "high IQ". People just really attach things to players just to say something and sound intellligent.

Ben Simmons = high IQ
Lebron = high IQ
Jokic = high IQ
James Harden = high IQ

Only Knick player that honestly display high IQ consistently is Trey Burke if we are being honest. But he has braids, he shoots a lot, and dribble between his legs so he won't get that credit.


Because high IQ works both way. You can be an intelligent defensive player, but you can make terrible decisions offensively and vice versa. I think what you’re saying is misleading. Frank didn’t show “no offensive skill at all” he showed that he has vision. He’s a work in progress at the end of the court but he shouldn’t be compared to Lance who already is a vet. Think the kid is smart and will figure it out. Jaylen Brown looked lost offensively too. Some people take longer than others.
Number of games Beasley stupidly wins the Knicks: 0
Trey Burke: 1
Hardaway Jr: 0
Kinglee
Veteran
Posts: 2,998
And1: 1,171
Joined: Feb 20, 2017

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#493 » by Kinglee » Mon May 14, 2018 9:28 pm

whocares1 wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
NYKAL wrote:people underrate him because he doesn't have any big scoring games and isn't flashy at all but, there is a lot to be said for the fact that dude played hard, showed potential, improved as the year went on, and made very few is any mistakes as a Rook. His understanding of the game and IQ was impressive. I'm happy with him and Trey. Muiday still has to show....SOMETHING


Why when a player shows no offensive skill AT ALL, but they are good defenders we have to say "he has high IQ". His playmaking, his random turnovers, his decision making, his shot selection, all of this stuff goes against the high IQ stuff. But if a player isn't flashy and just out there on the court, he gets called "high IQ". It's the same with Lance Thomas. Dude is a bum and does mad dumb ****, but then a coach wanna call him "high IQ". People just really attach things to players just to say something and sound intellligent.

Ben Simmons = high IQ
Lebron = high IQ
Jokic = high IQ
James Harden = high IQ

Only Knick player that honestly display high IQ consistently is Trey Burke if we are being honest. But he has braids, he shoots a lot, and dribble between his legs so he won't get that credit.


Because high IQ works both way. You can be an intelligent defensive player, but you can make terrible decisions offensively and vice versa. I think what you’re saying is misleading. Frank didn’t show “no offensive skill at all” he showed that he has vision. He’s a work in progress at the end of the court but he shouldn’t be compared to Lance who already is a vet. Think the kid is smart and will figure it out. Jaylen Brown looked lost offensively too. Some people take longer than others.


He showed he had vision..Lol ok. If dude was on any other team we would be calling him trash or something. Dude is not Patrick Beverly nor Chris Paul. Lets stop overrating his defense
B.A.T. ATLANTA HAWKS

PG: Jeff Teague/Shaun Livingston/Tyus Jones
SG: Danny Green/Kyle Korver/Mike Miller
SF: Kevin Durant/Joe Johnson/James Ennius
PF: Paul Milsap/David West/Jonas Jerebko
C: Tyson Chandler/Bismack Biyombo/Jason Smith
whocares1
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,737
And1: 2,888
Joined: Oct 31, 2014
     

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#494 » by whocares1 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Kinglee wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
Why when a player shows no offensive skill AT ALL, but they are good defenders we have to say "he has high IQ". His playmaking, his random turnovers, his decision making, his shot selection, all of this stuff goes against the high IQ stuff. But if a player isn't flashy and just out there on the court, he gets called "high IQ". It's the same with Lance Thomas. Dude is a bum and does mad dumb ****, but then a coach wanna call him "high IQ". People just really attach things to players just to say something and sound intellligent.

Ben Simmons = high IQ
Lebron = high IQ
Jokic = high IQ
James Harden = high IQ

Only Knick player that honestly display high IQ consistently is Trey Burke if we are being honest. But he has braids, he shoots a lot, and dribble between his legs so he won't get that credit.


Because high IQ works both way. You can be an intelligent defensive player, but you can make terrible decisions offensively and vice versa. I think what you’re saying is misleading. Frank didn’t show “no offensive skill at all” he showed that he has vision. He’s a work in progress at the end of the court but he shouldn’t be compared to Lance who already is a vet. Think the kid is smart and will figure it out. Jaylen Brown looked lost offensively too. Some people take longer than others.


He showed he had vision..Lol ok. If dude was on any other team we would be calling him trash or something. Dude is not Patrick Beverly nor Chris Paul. Lets stop overrating his defense


I can honestly say that I’ve never overrated Frank Ntilikina ever.
Number of games Beasley stupidly wins the Knicks: 0
Trey Burke: 1
Hardaway Jr: 0
User avatar
FrontOfficeEye
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 46,318
And1: 24,659
Joined: Jul 16, 2009
Contact:

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#495 » by FrontOfficeEye » Mon May 14, 2018 9:39 pm

Kinglee wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
Why when a player shows no offensive skill AT ALL, but they are good defenders we have to say "he has high IQ". His playmaking, his random turnovers, his decision making, his shot selection, all of this stuff goes against the high IQ stuff. But if a player isn't flashy and just out there on the court, he gets called "high IQ". It's the same with Lance Thomas. Dude is a bum and does mad dumb ****, but then a coach wanna call him "high IQ". People just really attach things to players just to say something and sound intellligent.

Ben Simmons = high IQ
Lebron = high IQ
Jokic = high IQ
James Harden = high IQ

Only Knick player that honestly display high IQ consistently is Trey Burke if we are being honest. But he has braids, he shoots a lot, and dribble between his legs so he won't get that credit.


Because high IQ works both way. You can be an intelligent defensive player, but you can make terrible decisions offensively and vice versa. I think what you’re saying is misleading. Frank didn’t show “no offensive skill at all” he showed that he has vision. He’s a work in progress at the end of the court but he shouldn’t be compared to Lance who already is a vet. Think the kid is smart and will figure it out. Jaylen Brown looked lost offensively too. Some people take longer than others.


He showed he had vision..Lol ok. If dude was on any other team we would be calling him trash or something. Dude is not Patrick Beverly nor Chris Paul. Lets stop overrating his defense


He did show he had vision. If anything, his vision was part of his downfall because it led to him passing up shots (or drives) he should be taking in favor of trying to get the ball to someone else. Why go to two extremes? It doesn't make your argument any more accurate. Also, his defense was elite. 90th in PnR, 86th isolation, 72nd hand off, 98th post ups, and 80th PnR roll man. As a rookie.
User avatar
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
Posts: 18,455
And1: 17,309
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: Brooklyn(Medina) NYC

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#496 » by IllmaticHandler » Mon May 14, 2018 9:42 pm

Kinglee wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
Why when a player shows no offensive skill AT ALL, but they are good defenders we have to say "he has high IQ". His playmaking, his random turnovers, his decision making, his shot selection, all of this stuff goes against the high IQ stuff. But if a player isn't flashy and just out there on the court, he gets called "high IQ". It's the same with Lance Thomas. Dude is a bum and does mad dumb ****, but then a coach wanna call him "high IQ". People just really attach things to players just to say something and sound intellligent.

Ben Simmons = high IQ
Lebron = high IQ
Jokic = high IQ
James Harden = high IQ

Only Knick player that honestly display high IQ consistently is Trey Burke if we are being honest. But he has braids, he shoots a lot, and dribble between his legs so he won't get that credit.


Because high IQ works both way. You can be an intelligent defensive player, but you can make terrible decisions offensively and vice versa. I think what you’re saying is misleading. Frank didn’t show “no offensive skill at all” he showed that he has vision. He’s a work in progress at the end of the court but he shouldn’t be compared to Lance who already is a vet. Think the kid is smart and will figure it out. Jaylen Brown looked lost offensively too. Some people take longer than others.


He showed he had vision..Lol ok. If dude was on any other team we would be calling him trash or something. Dude is not Patrick Beverly nor Chris Paul. Lets stop overrating his defense



Image


take yourself off repeat. Do you feel that if you keep repeating yourself a million times on the same thing it changes the perspective on other. Its still not working and you still carrying on. Find a New argument....


You stay crying on something. Its either a coach or a player...but you stay in your feelings about it. You prob still mad at a chick who dissed you in H.S.
ORLANDO MAGIC

C: R. Holmes | T.Maker
PF J. Green | C. Diallo
SF B. Ingram | J. Bird
SG K. Middleton | 2K Ferg
PG M. Fultz | I. Whitehead
User avatar
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 45,985
And1: 8,337
Joined: Dec 06, 2002
Location: Playoffs Fool!
Contact:

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#497 » by NoLayupRule » Mon May 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
BKAY wrote:I think its mind blowing that some think there is only one side to the basketball game. If he isnt scoring , he isnt good. Yet, here is a 19 year old who is out of the gate, one of the best defenders at the guard position IN THE LEAGUE. and its not even over-hyping him in typical knicks fan fashion. The numbers and the eye test corroborate this.


i mean it’s not like the knicks have been getting abused by point guards for over a decade or anything.. why should we value defense at the point guard position.

I think a lot of people would be more enthusiastic about his all league potential defense if we weren't so bad on defense

its hard to over state that he and KP are first team level defenders and the team is bottom 10 defense

it makes what he does individually less impactful
User avatar
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
Posts: 18,455
And1: 17,309
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: Brooklyn(Medina) NYC

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#498 » by IllmaticHandler » Mon May 14, 2018 9:58 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
BKAY wrote:I think its mind blowing that some think there is only one side to the basketball game. If he isnt scoring , he isnt good. Yet, here is a 19 year old who is out of the gate, one of the best defenders at the guard position IN THE LEAGUE. and its not even over-hyping him in typical knicks fan fashion. The numbers and the eye test corroborate this.


i mean it’s not like the knicks have been getting abused by point guards for over a decade or anything.. why should we value defense at the point guard position.

I think a lot of people would be more enthusiastic about his all league potential defense if we weren't so bad on defense

its hard to over state that he and KP are first team level defenders and the team is bottom 10 defense

it makes what he does individually less impactful


No it does not. Cause no Single player can play defense for all five men. Its impactful cause you keep adding to him and KP. Cause if we drafted trash defender last year, thats one more defender we have to find. He makes it one less...thats the impact.
ORLANDO MAGIC

C: R. Holmes | T.Maker
PF J. Green | C. Diallo
SF B. Ingram | J. Bird
SG K. Middleton | 2K Ferg
PG M. Fultz | I. Whitehead
Jonathan starks
Sophomore
Posts: 131
And1: 77
Joined: Apr 01, 2018

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#499 » by Jonathan starks » Mon May 14, 2018 10:03 pm

I don’t like him as a player at this point, but his defense is good. Not Roberson, Lenard, or george good though, but he’s just a rookie
User avatar
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 45,985
And1: 8,337
Joined: Dec 06, 2002
Location: Playoffs Fool!
Contact:

Re: Frank Ntilikina - Rookie Year 

Post#500 » by NoLayupRule » Mon May 14, 2018 10:06 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
i mean it’s not like the knicks have been getting abused by point guards for over a decade or anything.. why should we value defense at the point guard position.

I think a lot of people would be more enthusiastic about his all league potential defense if we weren't so bad on defense

its hard to over state that he and KP are first team level defenders and the team is bottom 10 defense

it makes what he does individually less impactful


No it does not. Cause no Single player can play defense for all five men. Its impactful cause you keep adding to him and KP. Cause if we drafted trash defender last year, thats one more defender we have to find. He makes it one less...thats the impact.

perhaps you didn't understand me

Im stating why his defense isnt getting so much attention

it feels less important because he's on a terrible defensive team
just like KP

yes obviously adding him means we dont need to now go find a defensive guard but lets be honest about his playmaking and scoring ability too

its been disappointing

But he's 19 year old Euro rookie

time will tell

Return to New York Knicks