ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Knicks Coaching Vacancy News Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who do you think the Knicks WILL pick?

David Fizdale
15%
David Blatt
21%
Mark Jackson
14%
Jerry Stackhouse
27%
Mike Woodson
3%
Jeff Van Gundy
8%
Jay Wright
6%
Other
6%

Total votes: 170

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,290

Re: The Official Knicks Coaching Vacancy News Thread 

Post#241 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:19 pm

How long is the list now? Anyone new added? Did Woj/Vermin/Asshola/Bondy/Begley/SAS add anymore ex-Knicks to the list? Did Herb Williams get the nod yet? Tweets and clickbait wars haven't nailed it down to a final 27 candidates yet? These clowns don't know shyt!
:beer: RIP mags
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#242 » by reub » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:22 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

Perfect puppet for Mills and Dolan.

I don’t want any part of a guy that Mills pushes for.

Blatt is not a puppet. He has won everywhere, all over the world. Including Cleveland until Lebron played dirty politics on him.
Stackhouse has very little coaching experience and that's a red flag for me.
I like Fizdale or Blatt.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,476

Post#243 » by mpharris36 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:26 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:So basically Blatt been out of the NBA for two years and does not get any consideration untill a former college teammate could push for him? Ironically he is ready to come back to the NBA when Mills can hire him straight up. Only the Knicks would use this as some some form of gauge in consideration. Usually when people think a coach is really good he is snatched up immediately, Blatt was not.... Dude wanted no parts of the NBA untill his butt buddy Mills was in control. That to me means he soft.

Fizdale left Memphis on bad terms yet a few months later other teams want to interview him that tells me something... Nobody wanted Mark Jackson untill the Friends at the Garden would give him a chance....

Blatts a good coach man. I'm sure teams got scared away with anyone LeBron ex-communicates from because he is so connected in the league. But our team isn't made up of LeBrons. If we are building a young team that would listen and learn he seems like a much better fit in our environment.

It's not like he failed in CLE, he was basically forced out.

Fizdale still gets teh stamp of approval from LeBron and his cronnies so he is still a "hot" candidate. But whats the difference between how Fizdale got canned and how Blatt got canned? One got canned because of LeBron the other got canned by seemingly a low key superstar in Marc. Fizdale firing would concern me more...

Blatt has not proven **** in the NBA plus he Soft to me. So he does not get the "good coach" status. I can careless about what he accomplished in europe. On the most basically level he has not even proven he can develop any american players in the NBA or that he can truly relate with them. Dude is a good coach for Europe thats the only proof we know. If thats the case lets start getting all the coaches from europe now. I mean **** if you won over there you can win over here...its that easy. Like somebody said...dude Jeff on the low with better x and os fucck these softies man...

He does not exude the toughness that NY needs...

i don't see why dude is a good coach in europe is a knock on him. Just like Stack paid his does in the g-league. Someone shouldn't say Stack has only coached the G-league he wont be a good coach. Success is success in my book.

And I don't believe Blatt is a "softy". He gets on players plenty. He ran into the ultimate coach killer in CLE with LeBron.

And he also went 83-40 in his time in CLE (so regardless of how it ended with LeBron) they still were winning. Does he need to learn and adjust sure so does every coach...sometimes a first job can humble you and make you a better coach.

Just because he doesn't look like a tough guy? JVG was also a tough as sh*t head coach that had to earn the players respect because of how smart he was. Same thing happened with Bill Bellichek as well. Lawerence Taylor didn't want him to be the defensive coordinator for the giants because he looked like he never took a football snap in his life. Then he realized this guy knows his sh*t.

I have been pro Blatt or Stackhouse because I think they would be best for what we are trying to accomplish here in terms of player development. I think they are both similar in that sense. Our roster compilation also is much better suited for Blatts coaching IMO then CLE. Remember Blatt was originally hired before LeBron made his decision to come back...that changed everything.

B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,928

Post#244 » by Capn'O » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:28 pm

Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

So Mills is pushing Blatt. Perry is pushing analytics and development (Stack or Fiz).

But the Knicks have Jackson as the favorite. So who's pushing Jackson.

Spoiler:
Nobody.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#245 » by IllmaticHandler » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:28 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Blatts a good coach man. I'm sure teams got scared away with anyone LeBron ex-communicates from because he is so connected in the league. But our team isn't made up of LeBrons. If we are building a young team that would listen and learn he seems like a much better fit in our environment.

Fizdale still gets teh stamp of approval from LeBron and his cronnies so he is still a "hot" candidate. But whats the difference between how Fizdale got canned and how Blatt got canned? One got canned because of LeBron the other got canned by seemingly a low key superstar in Marc. Fizdale firing would concern me more...

Blatt has not proven **** in the NBA plus he Soft to me. So he does not get the "good coach" status. I can careless about what he accomplished in europe. On the most basically level he has not even proven he can develop any american players in the NBA or that he can truly relate with them. Dude is a good coach for Europe thats the only proof we know. If thats the case lets start getting all the coaches from europe now. I mean **** if you won over there you can win over here...its that easy. Like somebody said...dude Jeff on the low with better x and os fucck these softies man...

i don't see why dude is a good coach in europe is a knock on him. Just like Stack paid his does in the g-league. Someone shouldn't say Stack has only coached the G-league he wont be a good coach. Success is success in my book.

And I don't believe Blatt is a "softy". He gets on players plenty. He ran into the ultimate coach killer in CLE with LeBron.

And he also went 83-40 in his time in CLE (so regardless of how it ended with LeBron) they still were winning. Does he need to learn and adjust sure so does every coach...sometimes a first job can humble you and make you a better coach.

Just because he doesn't look like a tough guy? JVG was also a tough as sh*t head coach that had to earn the players respect because of how smart he was. Same thing happened with Bill Bellichek as well. Lawerence Taylor didn't want him to be the defensive coordinator for the giants because he looked like he never took a football snap in his life. Then he realized this guy knows his sh*t.

I have been pro Blatt or Stackhouse because I think they would be best for what we are trying to accomplish here in terms of player development. I think they are both similar in that sense.

Listen. Im gonna make this clear. Dont waste your time. This is not up for debate with me. Im not feeling the dude at all. thats it. You not gonna convince me otherwise. If he hired it is what it is. I dont want him.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,372

Post#246 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:29 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

And he also went 83-40 in his time in CLE (so regardless of how it ended with LeBron) they still were winning.

I have been pro Blatt or Stackhouse because I think they would be best for what we are trying to accomplish here in terms of player development. I think they are both similar in that sense.

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,994

Re: RE: Re: The Official Knicks Coaching Vacancy News Thread 

Post#247 » by GONYK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

So Mills is pushing Blatt. Perry is pushing analytics and development (Stack or Fiz).

Spoiler:
Nobody.

The guys writing the tweets

I feel like going off of what Mills and Perry said they were looking for in the presser, Jackson is everything they want to avoid.

It's like when Phil did everything short of saying Dennis Smith's name when describing the exact type of player he had no interest in drafting.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,290

Post#248 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Nobody.

Bondy doesn't have a Knicks source. It's BS.
:beer: RIP mags
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#249 » by MP4LIFE » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Someone give me reasons why Stackhouse is a good option.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#250 » by mpharris36 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:40 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:Someone give me reasons why Stackhouse is a good option.

he fits the timeline we are looking for. He has paid his dues in the g-league and knows how to relate to todays player.

We have to look at this like a 2-3 year plan...because we aren't going to be very good next year especially depending how long KP is out. So we need to focus on player development and someone who will bring in a culture of defense and accountability.

ROSTER

thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,233

Post#251 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Here's my take on the coaching search. There are a lot of good coaches. Most of the guys the Knicks are looking at are "good" coaches. Maybe even Mark Jackson. He's probably near the spectrum of "not good" coaches, but still.

Guys I put in the same tier:
Vogel. Jackson. Woodson. Fizdale.

Now, "hold the phone" some of you are saying. Woodson and Fizdale are really good defensive coaches. Probably. And maybe Fizdale is a little different. I don't know. I doubt anyone on here really knows. And, by extension, we might say that JVG isn't wildly different than Woodson, but he had better teams, but I"ll get to that as not being true.

The Unknown tier
Wright, Blatt

Both great coaches not in the NBA. Blatt had 1.5 seasons to make an impression. Seems like he might be soft, but we really don't know. Wright could be the next Brad Stevens but could be next Calipari. We don't really know. Ok, maybe one or two guys on here are so expert in Bball and have some inside info on Wright, but sort of doubt it.

The hardworking maniac tier
JVG, Stackhouse.

My two choices, with caveats. The Knicks under Riley and JVG outworked the sh*t out of other teams, based on conditioning and relentless defense. Hence, to some, boring low scores, to others, super exciting balls to the walls defense for the entire game. Riley and JVG known for living and breathing bball, never going home and maniacal work ethics, which they demanded of their teams.
Stackhouse seems wired the same way. JVG the proven version of this guy, with the caveat he's been out of the league and will he adjust - pretty sure he will. Stackhouse the young up and comer with the caveat he hasn't NBA coached, but he did play for 18 years, not that long ago, 1 year assistant coach, 2 years G-League coach.

Side note. Mark Jackson didn't get along with management, he's a bible thumper which tends to turn people off and while I'm sure he's a hardworking guy, GSW take off after he left. Why? Because Kerr instituted a smarter, better system than he did. And he seems to have instilled RELENTLESSNESS. Knicks under Riley and JVG were RELENTLESS in their defense and their conditioning let them do it. Kerr has the Warriors play a RELENTLESS offensive style where if you don't hang, in a 5 minute stretch they blow you out. Stevens in Boston has a relentless defensive mindset, married to newer offensive concepts.

Get me that relentless, driven coach who instill that in the team. I don't care if it's on offense or defense or both.

Stackhouse or JVG.

I'll settle for Blatt as he's unknown.

Everyone else is a JAG coach (Who we have a shot at - Wright, Messina, Hammond not coming here)
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#252 » by IllmaticHandler » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:44 pm

This video tells me that it was just not Lebron. Dude is overmatched with american players....

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#253 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:46 pm

He stressed that the best teams he played on were well conditioned
He is VERY into defense
He understands development via the G-League
He understands the sync between the G-League and NBA which is becoming a thing
He was a hard nosed, no BS player who doesn't take sh*t. Imagine Oakley as a guard
Coaching background under Dean Smith, Larry Brown, Rick Carlisle, Avery Johnson (I guess is good)
Clearly driven and a little obsessive (see Riley, JVG etc)
Players will respect his recent and quality playing career
Seems to really care about young players - which is what the Knicks will have, hopefully

I might have missed a point or two
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#254 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:This video tells me that it was just not Lebron. Dude is overmatched with american players....

This might be true, but a lot of media narratives are lazy. One person establishes it, others just glom onto the idea and don't say anything new, but repackage it.

He's my 3rd choice

Stackhouse
JVG
Blatt
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#255 » by mpharris36 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:58 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:This video tells me that it was just not Lebron. Dude is overmatched with american players....

the video is actually pretty supportive of Blatt...and that LeBron turned him against the team when he decided to bench too of his over the hill cronnies. Also Dellavdova and Shumpert were pretty huge in those playoff series with there defense so he was on to something.

Would you like a little more communication? Sure but vets have egos, and our team wouldn't be a vet oriented team. He made the right coaching decision but angered the pre-madona lebron and thats what I saw from the video 8 minutes of lebron playing lazy basketball to get blatt fired.

I'm not even saying he's a perfect coach...because he isn't. I do think these are totally difference situations though in terms of having to handle a roster.

ROSTER

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#256 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Who's the pre-madona? Is that like Donna Summer or something?
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,228

Post#257 » by DOT » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:01 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

the video is actually pretty supportive of Blatt...and that LeBron turned him against the team when he decided to bench too of his over the hill cronnies. Also Dellavdova and Shumpert were pretty huge in those playoff series with there defense so he was on to something.

Would you like a little more communication? Sure but vets have egos, and our team wouldn't be a vet oriented team. He made the right coaching decision but angered the pre-madona lebron and thats what I saw from the video 8 minutes of lebron playing lazy basketball to get blatt fired.

BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#258 » by mpharris36 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:04 pm

K-DOT wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:the video is actually pretty supportive of Blatt...and that LeBron turned him against the team when he decided to bench too of his over the hill cronnies. Also Dellavdova and Shumpert were pretty huge in those playoff series with there defense so he was on to something.

i mean yes, the jury is still out on perry putting together the team.

But I have to assume Jack wont be back. And Noah might not (even though I would bring him back).

If they deal Lee (they probably would have on of the youngest roster in the NBA).

ROSTER

F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,917

Post#259 » by F N 11 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:10 pm

mpharris36 wrote:

he fits the timeline we are looking for. He has paid his dues in the g-league and knows how to relate to todays player.

We have to look at this like a 2-3 year plan...because we aren't going to be very good next year especially depending how long KP is out. So we need to focus on player development and someone who will bring in a culture of defense and accountability.

We are a rebuilding team and he has succeeded in guiding players trying to make the NBA to 2 straight finals I believe. So clearly he can get something from the underdogs/Youth which is what we need. We dont need a CLOWN like horny coming up in here talking bout we're trying to win games. I want to hear we're trying to get better day by day this is a process.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,228

Post#260 » by DOT » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:12 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:the video is actually pretty supportive of Blatt...and that LeBron turned him against the team when he decided to bench too of his over the hill cronnies. Also Dellavdova and Shumpert were pretty huge in those playoff series with there defense so he was on to something.

i mean yes, the jury is still out on perry putting together the team.

But I have to assume Jack wont be back. And Noah might not (even though I would bring him back).

If they deal Lee (they probably would have on of the youngest roster in the NBA).

Mostly a joke, but still the way I look at it:

Tim, KP, Noah, Kanter (if he opts in or is re-signed), Burke, Mudiay, LFT, KOQ if he's re-signed, and probably Lee cause Perry doesn't want to just dump him for scraps, all would be vets imo

Frank, Troy, Dotson, and our rookies aren't vets

At least 3 of our starters are gonna be vets, and probably most of the bench minutes will go to vets too

It really depends on if Kanter opts in or is re-signed, if they wanna trade Lee, and if they wanna re-sign KOQ

With regards to how this would affect Blatt, I don't really think it makes that big of a difference, with the exception of KP, none of our guys have the egos of the Cleveland big 3, and guys like LFT and KOQ are good locker room guys that would probably support the coach (and probably Jack too, which is why I wouldn't mind him coming back for the minimum to take up the 15th spot) and all are respected by the rest of the team enough so they would listen to them, probably.

I have Blatt 4th, but I wouldn't be mad about us signing him. He's not Jackson or Woodson
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe

Return to New York Knicks