ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL)

Moderators: j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O

Want What?!

Guard?
9%
Forward?
50%
Center?
5%
Trade Down?
10%
Trade Up?
10%
Hire KnicksTape?
7%
Fire Cap?
4%
Trade GONYK?
5%

Total votes: 105

reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Re: 2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL) 

Post#1561 » by reub » Wed May 16, 2018 10:20 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

They have mikal going 8th....

The Ringer has MPJR going fifth, way ahead of Mikal Bridges and even ahead of Bagley.
Not bad for a scrub.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 92,574

Post#1562 » by Capn'O » Wed May 16, 2018 10:20 pm

magnumt wrote:The question is (if you had the choice I mean), would you choose Trae Young (Curry) or Collin Sexton (Westbrook)?

As easy as some of you will say "I'd take 'X' EASILY..." it's not so easy. For one thing, Curry has won and outside of Defense, he has taken oven games and lead the way. On the flip side, Sexton has shown his one weakness (Perimeter shooting) is overblown when he shot well in later games.

We over criticized DSJ & Mitchell too...well not me, I had DSJ high in my Draft list ( :wave: KT/FOE)! :naaa: :D

--Mags :beer:

Trae is really tough for me. There's a lot to like about him - his range and vision is ahead of, for example, DAR's who I never really got as a prospect and he's quicker too. There are pieces of his game where you feel like he could really dominate. I think he will play well with other playmakers as well. Then there's the defense and the turnovers.

Spoiler:

Some team is gonna take him earlier than us IMO and they're gonna either look like geniuses or fools in a few years. And the GMs that didn't take him will all be like "I wish I had the stones to have tried that" at the time.

I love Westbrook but not for my team if you catch my drift. The floor general thing - either you are one or you aren't. Sexton could pan as a star but I think he could be tougher to place other guards around like Westbrook is. Aka, if you're getting him you might as well move Frank now. And I don't like that.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#1563 » by taj2133 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:20 pm

knicks need a small forward badly not a point guard it basically saying if they draft one is that they screw up on last year draft.
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#1564 » by taj2133 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Also i want michael porter if he drops the perfect trading partner would be the magic.
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,416

Post#1565 » by Tron Carter » Wed May 16, 2018 10:28 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:Damn the ringer dropped Bags to 6th? Crazy.

i listen to all their draft class podcasts they don't like bagley for some reason.
R.I.P Black Mamba
vallen
RealGM
And1: 3,079

Post#1566 » by vallen » Wed May 16, 2018 10:29 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
vallen wrote:
Triple C wrote:
Read on Twitter

oh lord

I really don't want him here

man if he falls to #9 idk how you pass. i think hes going to become a great pro. I think hes built for this city. he wants to come here and he wont be afraid. lets do this!
There's something about an underdog that really inspires the unexceptional.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,980

Post#1567 » by whocares1 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:35 pm

reub wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Ringer has MPJR going fifth, way ahead of Mikal Bridges and even ahead of Bagley.
Not bad for a scrub.

They also have Miles going before Mikal. Love it.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#1568 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:39 pm

Said this before, and I'll say it again. Just because something gets published on some site saying player x is better than player y does not make it true. Scouting isn't an exact science, which is why people's opinions vary. The Ringer, RealGM, me, you, Draftexpress, ESPN, whatever saying _______ does not mean it's true.

If y'all do want to believe what they say, look at the negatives too -

Suffers from Andrew Wiggins syndrome: He needs to prove he can be more than an inefficient scorer.
His lack of advanced ball-handling moves prevents him from getting all the way to the rim or creating space against great defenders.
Frustrating shot selection due to his habit of settling for jumpers.
Has a good, but not great, first step off the dribble.
Lacks passing vision.
Questionable physicality. He avoids contact, gets pushed around, and doesn’t grind on defense.
Not much of a rebounder, which will make it harder to play small with him.

Many of us have been saying this all along, but because he was some hyped prospect it gets ignored? Seems like reub, and others, are ignoring it as well. The Ringer's staff is every bit as random as you, me, and every other person with an opinion.
levendis
Sixth Man
And1: 1,189

Post#1569 » by levendis » Wed May 16, 2018 10:43 pm

whocares1 wrote:
reub wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not bad for a scrub.

They also have Miles going before Mikal. Love it.

They really do a good job with their stuff. I checked their 2017 draft guide, was well done.

I think they had the best short description for Frank:
A defensive stopper at the point guard spot with excellent feel, but his rawness leaves his upside a complete mystery.

Were high on Mitchell as well, had him going 8th to us lol.
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#1570 » by N Y K » Wed May 16, 2018 10:45 pm

the negatives for miles talk about ball handling... wasn't there a conversation about how strong his ball handling skills were just a few pages back? KT isn't lying...
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#1571 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Maybe I’m crazy but I could see Memphis going against convention and drafting Mikal. Kinda like Barkley over Darnold/Rosen, this is a retooling around their stars in Conley and Gasol. They probably see this season as ananomoly and know they aren’t that far away from being back. Mikal fits their culture, both the old and the one they’re trying to install. If he’s the next Kawhi, he’s exactly what they need. I don’t say I agree but they are heavily invested in Gasol and MCjr. I could see them opting for a guy who starts for them tomorrow and helps them fight for a playoff spot. I don’t think they could sell a project to Gasol. It’s kind a a match made in Heaven. They spent draft picks on Deyonta Davis and Ivan Rabb. They have Jarell Martin and JayMychal Green under contract. Why would they want to throw another lanky 4/5 guy into their development mix? I think they’re thinking wing with Reke on his way out and Mclemore being Mclemore. Just a theory.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1572 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:52 pm

N Y K wrote:the negatives for miles talk about ball handling... wasn't there a conversation about how strong his ball handling skills were just a few pages back? KT isn't lying...

I'm just saying what I see. Above is from MPJr, but those are the same things anyone that watches him on film (or live) can see.

I'll be the first one to admit I'm wrong, but the most important thing that everyone needs to do when scouting is come to their own conclusions. If people come to the conclusions they reach after watching games, then so be it. At least they did some HW. Using a report as a base I understand as well. Teams do the same thing, trust me. But coming to a conclusion based on some youtube video or only reading any random person's scouting report (again, myself, the ringer, etc) isn't the right way to go about scouting players.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1573 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:55 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:Maybe I’m crazy but I could see Memphis going against convention and drafting Mikal. Kinda like Barkley over Darnold/Rosen, this is a retooling around their stars in Conley and Gasol. They probably see this season as ananomoly and know they aren’t that far away from being back. Mikal fits their culture, both the old and the one they’re trying to install. If he’s the next Kawhi, he’s exactly what they need. I don’t say I agree but they are heavily invested in Gasol and MCjr. I could see them opting for a guy who starts for them tomorrow and helps them fight for a playoff spot. I don’t think they could sell a project to Gasol. It’s kind a a match made in Heaven. They spent draft picks on Deyonta Davis and Ivan Rabb. They have Jarell Martin and JayMychal Green under contract. Why would they want to throw another lanky 4/5 guy into their development mix? I think they’re thinking wing with Reke on his way out and Mclemore being Mclemore. Just a theory.

Those guys shouldn't stop the Grizzlies from taking Bags, though. Martin is expendable as is Green (who I wrote about as a sleeper at my first site, throwback Wednesday) and neither Davis nor Rabb are probably starting Cs in the NBA. Pairing Bags with someone like Gasol is a perfect fit also, because it gives them the athleticism they severely lack and a player who can contribute now and in the future as well.

I get what you're saying, but Bags fits the same culture.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,150

Post#1574 » by Fat Kat » Wed May 16, 2018 11:05 pm

N Y K wrote:the negatives for miles talk about ball handling... wasn't there a conversation about how strong his ball handling skills were just a few pages back? KT isn't lying...

His ball-handling skills are a weakness. That's partially why he's turnover prone and viewed as a better fit at the PF position. He has SG size with a PF game.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,462

Post#1575 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed May 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Fat Kat wrote:

His ball-handling skills are a weakness. That's partially why he's turnover prone and viewed as a better fit at the PF position. He has SG size with a PF game.

You don't think he can play SF?
:beer: RIP mags
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,287

Post#1576 » by TrueWarrior » Wed May 16, 2018 11:09 pm

We're right in our draft sweet spot! We always pick a stud in this range! WOOOOOOOOOO BOY
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 30,150

Post#1577 » by Fat Kat » Wed May 16, 2018 11:14 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:

You don't think he can play SF?

Sure he can. Timmy, Courtney Lee and Melo all played SF for us. I just want a good defender with length at the 3.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 25,169

Post#1578 » by Jeff Van Gully » Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Capn'O wrote:
magnumt wrote:The question is (if you had the choice I mean), would you choose Trae Young (Curry) or Collin Sexton (Westbrook)?

As easy as some of you will say "I'd take 'X' EASILY..." it's not so easy. For one thing, Curry has won and outside of Defense, he has taken oven games and lead the way. On the flip side, Sexton has shown his one weakness (Perimeter shooting) is overblown when he shot well in later games.

We over criticized DSJ & Mitchell too...well not me, I had DSJ high in my Draft list ( :wave: KT/FOE)! :naaa: :D

--Mags :beer:

Trae is really tough for me. There's a lot to like about him - his range and vision is ahead of, for example, DAR's who I never really got as a prospect and he's quicker too. There are pieces of his game where you feel like he could really dominate. I think he will play well with other playmakers as well. Then there's the defense and the turnovers.

Spoiler:

Some team is gonna take him earlier than us IMO and they're gonna either look like geniuses or fools in a few years. And the GMs that didn't take him will all be like "I wish I had the stones to have tried that" at the time.

I love Westbrook but not for my team if you catch my drift. The floor general thing - either you are one or you aren't. Sexton could pan as a star but I think he could be tougher to place other guards around like Westbrook is. Aka, if you're getting him you might as well move Frank now. And I don't like that.

i could live with trae. takes pressure off kp and frank.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,980

Post#1579 » by whocares1 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:22 pm

Trae is a better fit with Frank than Sexton.
spree8
RealGM
And1: 6,219

Post#1580 » by spree8 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:41 pm

whocares1 wrote:Trae is a better fit with Frank than Sexton.

Hate to break it to ya, but Trae is dookie and Mikal > Miles.

Return to New York Knicks