ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Want What?!

Guard?
9%
Forward?
50%
Center?
5%
Trade Down?
10%
Trade Up?
10%
Hire KnicksTape?
7%
Fire Cap?
4%
Trade GONYK?
5%

Total votes: 105

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Re: 2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL) 

Post#1681 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:45 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:Classic Knicks RealGM board; setting unrealistic expectations on X player only to be disappointed.

I mean, I love Middleton and think he’ll be a high level two way player (more perimeter oriented Middleton, but Mikal has a post game even if it is all predicated on going to middle), but Tatum was a much better offensive player. From footwork to isolation, posting up, etc, Tatum had the full repertoire scoring the ball.

As for Brown, he’s more aggressive going to the paint and has always been like that. I don’t see that comparison (or relatable skill set) either.

I see parts of Middelton, Otto Porter, and a shorter but better defensive version of Rashard Lewis. Good 3 point shooter, has a bit of a post game and can catch and shoot through screens. Lewis wasn't the defensive player Mikal will be but there offensive games are similar before Lewis moved to a small ball 4.

I can see that. One thing Middleton and I believe Shard has was a turnaround jumper. Bridges basically only has one move - bully to middle and go above and over defense. He needs to develop that turnaround jumper because teams will take away the bully ball pretty easily.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,387

Post#1682 » by thebuzzardman » Thu May 17, 2018 12:45 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:Not sure how anyone can look at Bridges and see Tatum. I’m one of the biggest fans of Bridges and have been since last year, as everyone can attest to, but that’s just off.

He’s more Brown than Tatum.

I don't see that either. He's really nothing like either, IMO. Like, at all.

Ariza?
Kinglee
Analyst
And1: 1,177

Post#1683 » by Kinglee » Thu May 17, 2018 12:45 pm

Do people feel like Mikai is the “safest” pick or are y’all really high on the guy? Solid on both ends, but doesn’t really move the needle for me.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1684 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:46 pm

WajaBawl wrote:
Besart19 wrote:If we dont have a shot at Kawhi as a free agent we have to draft up to take Mikal

Though I would "gamble" on Bamba and do the best to sign a superstar in 2019 FA class

Bamba, KP, Kawhi, Ntilikina, 2019 1st, THJ, Burke, O'Quinn, Bonga, Mudiay and Williams... Two veterans and two mid-level role players and you have a contender in the East

Bamba wouldn't be a "gamble". Arguably the guy with the highest upside in the draft, and IMO I'd take him over Ayton. Might as well stop discussing him as a potential draft choice because he isn't going to be nowhere near our range.

I actually don’t think it’s arguable that he has the highest ceiling - IMO, that’s undoubtedly true. People overlook the high floor he has as well, which is odd.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#1685 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu May 17, 2018 12:46 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
AllanHoustonFan wrote:Classic Knicks RealGM board; setting unrealistic expectations on X player only to be disappointed.

I mean, I love Middleton and think he’ll be a high level two way player (more perimeter oriented Middleton, but Mikal has a post game even if it is all predicated on going to middle), but Tatum was a much better offensive player. From footwork to isolation, posting up, etc, Tatum had the full repertoire scoring the ball.

As for Brown, he’s more aggressive going to the paint and has always been like that. I don’t see that comparison (or relatable skill set) either.

I see parts of Middelton, Otto Porter, and a shorter but better defensive version of Rashard Lewis. Good 3 point shooter, has a bit of a post game and can catch and shoot through screens. Lewis wasn't the defensive player Mikal will be but there offensive games are similar before Lewis moved to a small ball 4.

best comparison i seen so far for him...lewis. i like i like...
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1686 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Kinglee wrote:Do people feel like Mikai is the “safest” pick or are y’all really high on the guy? Solid on both ends, but doesn’t really move the needle for me.

He’s an excellent defender and an excellent three point shooter. On top of that, he is a team first guy, hustles, high IQ, and plays within himself. That’s absolutely someone who moves the needle.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,682

Post#1687 » by mpharris36 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:I mean, I love Middleton and think he’ll be a high level two way player (more perimeter oriented Middleton, but Mikal has a post game even if it is all predicated on going to middle), but Tatum was a much better offensive player. From footwork to isolation, posting up, etc, Tatum had the full repertoire scoring the ball.

I can see that. One thing Middleton and I believe Shard has was a turnaround jumper. Bridges basically only has one move - bully to middle and go above and over defense. He needs to develop that turnaround jumper because teams will take away the bully ball pretty easily.

Yeah I agree...with his wingspan I think Bridges to mostly playing 4 at Villanova so maybe he was urged to play more near the basket and bully agressive.

If he plays strictly 3 in the NBA he should be able to shoot over most SF with his high release and wingspan. The first time I saw Bridges play his shooting form kinda reminded me of Shard...quick high release...
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1688 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:48 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
whocares1 wrote:
He’s more Brown than Tatum.

I don't see that either. He's really nothing like either, IMO. Like, at all.

Ariza?

Way more advanced than Ariza was coming out of college and for many years in the NBA as well. I think a better Ariza is his floor.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 15,009

Post#1689 » by Fury » Thu May 17, 2018 12:49 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:

Defensive Rashard Lewis is interesting.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#1690 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:51 pm

Defensive rashard Lewis has always been my comparison
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,682

Post#1691 » by mpharris36 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:51 pm

Fury wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:I mean, I love Middleton and think he’ll be a high level two way player (more perimeter oriented Middleton, but Mikal has a post game even if it is all predicated on going to middle), but Tatum was a much better offensive player. From footwork to isolation, posting up, etc, Tatum had the full repertoire scoring the ball.

Defensive Rashard Lewis is interesting.

its the first comparison I saw just from the eye test when I saw Mikal play in college. There shooting form are very similar...quick and high. Like OG KT said though he needs to have to post up turn around jumper over smaller defenders to truly be Shard...but I think the 3 point/catch and shoot games are very similar.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1692 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu May 17, 2018 12:55 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:Defensive rashard Lewis has always been my comparison

we need them receipts fam...

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1693 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 pm

Off topic, but it’s cool thinking about just how ahead of their time that Magic team was.

Also how ahead of their time guys like LaFrentz, Shard, Harrington, AK47, Arenas, Marion, etc were.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1694 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu May 17, 2018 12:58 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:Off topic, but it’s cool thinking about just how ahead of their time that Magic team was.

Also how ahead of their time guys like LaFrentz, Shard, Harrington, AK47, Arenas, Marion, etc were.

AK47? Eh.... He was no better than Pippen so Pippen is more ahead of they time. Marion as well. They both compare to the player Pippen was.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1695 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:59 pm

Kenrich Williams as 3D potential and Alize Johnson as rebounding / scoring PF (better rebounding/athletic Mike Scott) are two guys Knicks should take a look at too...and JUSTIN JACKSON and KEVIN HUERTER.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1696 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:00 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:Off topic, but it’s cool thinking about just how ahead of their time that Magic team was.

AK47? Eh.... He was no better than Pippen so Pippen is more ahead of they time. Marion as well. They both compare to the player Pippen was.

Pip was a SF, though. He was definitely ahead of his time too, but AK/Marion are modern 4s and I was too lazy to go back further than 2000s before having coffee.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#1697 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:02 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
Knicksfan20 wrote:Defensive rashard Lewis has always been my comparison

we need them receipts fam...

Look in the past NCAA draft threads. I’ve made the comparison at least twice within the past month.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#1698 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu May 17, 2018 1:03 pm

FrontOfficeEye wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

Pip was a SF, though. He was definitely ahead of his time too, but AK/Marion are modern 4s and I was too lazy to go back further than 2000s before having coffee.

Marion would be a modern 4 but in his prime he was a SF stricly on the Suns. Ak47 was a SF alot of the time as well. A better one than PF.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#1699 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:04 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

Marion would be a modern 4 but in his prime he was a SF stricly on the Suns. Ak47 was a SF alot of the time as well. A better one than PF.

Yes, I know, but they played PF a lot as well and would slot in perfectly at 4s in today’s NBA. I didn’t want to get into a full out convo on this, I was just thinking out loud lol. That’s it.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,070

Post#1700 » by GONYK » Thu May 17, 2018 1:05 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
FrontOfficeEye wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Yeah I agree...with his wingspan I think Bridges to mostly playing 4 at Villanova so maybe he was urged to play more near the basket and bully agressive.

If he plays strictly 3 in the NBA he should be able to shoot over most SF with his high release and wingspan. The first time I saw Bridges play his shooting form kinda reminded me of Shard...quick high release...

Bridges played predominantly at the 3 at Nova. Eric Paschall was the 4.

Return to New York Knicks