ImageImageImageImageImage

2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Want What?!

Guard?
9%
Forward?
50%
Center?
5%
Trade Down?
10%
Trade Up?
10%
Hire KnicksTape?
7%
Fire Cap?
4%
Trade GONYK?
5%

Total votes: 105

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Re: 2017/18 Draft Thread - X Gonna Give It to You Edition! (PHO, SAC, ATL) 

Post#2041 » by E-Balla » Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 pm

Polk377 wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Polk377 wrote:Jordan
9× 1st Team All Defense
1× Defensive Player of the Year

Shaq
3× 2nd Team All Defense
0 DPOY

Yes Pippen was an all time great defender but the reason they won was because Jordan was just as good of a defender. Don't compare Jordan and Shaq on that end because you are just wrong.

Come on now we gonna act like MJ ain't overrated on D? He was great but he didn't deserve all those All defenses and definitely not his DPOY. Also Cs and SGs don't have the same impact on D. All the top 5 defenders ever are Cs for a reason (including many of Shaq's contemporaries). But I'm not even saying Jordan wasn't usually better on D. Just that in the 3-4 years Shaq played 100% on the defensive end he was arguably the best defender in the league.

No he really wasn't overrated on defense. You keep talking about how "if Shaq wanted to" the difference is MJ actually did it. He played just as hard on defense as he did on offense because he wanted it.

I can agree that you want your C to be the anchor of your defense but Shaq never did it at a high level. He was never better than Robinson, Hakeem, Zo, KG or Ewing on D because he didn't put in the effort. You can't just prop him up with a "if he wanted to"

But he did ao that point is moot. Or you wanna act like Shaq wasn't 2nd in DPOY voting before?
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,977

Post#2042 » by Fury » Thu May 17, 2018 7:53 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
Fury wrote:Lets say the top 8 is some variation of:

Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, Bamba, Jackson, Porter, Sexton, Mikal

Who do you take?

Really don't like the fit of Carter with KP. I think I'd have to go Miles or SGA.

I'm taking Young. Boom or Bust. F*ck it.

Kinglee
Analyst
And1: 1,177

Post#2043 » by Kinglee » Thu May 17, 2018 7:54 pm

Fury wrote:
Kinglee wrote:

Who do you take?

Really don't like the fit of Carter with KP. I think I'd have to go Miles or SGA.

SGA all the way

Dude really reminds me of Ginobili. Our backcourt defense would also have tons of potential.

Regardless if Sexton or Mikai is available, I really see no reason to take him. He's the perfect player for us, regardless of what type of team we are trying to be. Obviously if a guy like Porter or Bamba is available you pick them, but if they aren't then it's just foolishness to go any other way. Like really...There aren't two flaws this kid has. Worst case is he's an all around pg with good defense. Best case is he becomes an average shooter and he's now a star. Playing in pg with these fans...**** and we think the fans loved Shumpert energy his rookie year...GOODNESS
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#2044 » by HEZI » Thu May 17, 2018 7:54 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
fatalogic wrote:But that dude is the best shooter in NBA history. I can't speak for everyone but if a player has elite skills and/or elite athleticism then yea I take measurements with a grain of salt but without elite skills I think they matter a great deal. To be great in the NBA a player needs elite something.

No, you still need to be good at something besides being tall and long. If you are just tall and long but you suck, well......you suck!

has anyone said different?

why do the non size and wingspan crowd say that the length and wingspan crowd only cares about height and winspan and they don't have to have skill? Who ever said that?

People literally just got turned off from players they've been rooting for for months because of their measurements and said they don't want them anymore but you are really trying to tell me nobody said anything? :lol:
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,995

Post#2045 » by Capn'O » Thu May 17, 2018 7:56 pm

Wendell's wings were a boon for him.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,995

Post#2046 » by Capn'O » Thu May 17, 2018 7:57 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:Times are changing folks....

Read on Twitter

Who is the top analytics man?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,565

Post#2047 » by mpharris36 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:57 pm

Kinglee wrote:

Who do you take?

SGA all the way

Kinglee wrote:I think people put a bit too much stock in the measurements. Pretty useless stuff to me

STRENGTHS
Elite size for a lead guard. Stands at 6-foot-6 with a 7-foot wingspan. Uses his length functionally on defense and as a finisher.

B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,977

Post#2048 » by Fury » Thu May 17, 2018 7:58 pm

Kinglee wrote:
Fury wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
SGA all the way

Dude really reminds me of Ginobili. Our backcourt defense would also have tons of potential.

Regardless if Sexton or Mikai is available, I really see no reason to take him. He's the perfect player for us, regardless of what type of team we are trying to be. Obviously if a guy like Porter or Bamba is available you pick them, but if they aren't then it's just foolishness to go any other way. Like really...There aren't two flaws this kid has. Worst case is he's an all around pg with good defense. Best case is he becomes an average shooter and he's now a star. Playing in pg with these fans...**** and we think the fans loved Shumpert energy his rookie year...GOODNESS

Damn, I agree.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#2049 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:58 pm

Capn'O wrote:
TheGreenArrow wrote:Times are changing folks....

Read on Twitter

Who is the top analytics man?

Mike Smith is the lead guy and Michael Arcieri (very nice guy, by the way) is the basketball strategist.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#2050 » by mpharris36 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:59 pm

HEZI wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Out of that entire list, only 4 dudes have won championships and one of them is a 6'2" guard with 6'3" wingspan

The freakiest dudes on that list have never even sniffed a conference finals let alone an NBA finals let alone a title. So what are we really talking about here?

whats your point? Are you holding AD hostage because he has played on horrible teams.

Are AD, Harden, Giannis, Westbrook not top 10 players in the NBA? Are you really holding not winning a championship against them in the age of the super team?

Patrick Ewing is still considered a top 50 player of all time and he never won a championship because he played in Jordan's error.

That is a pretty straw man argument to hate on the best players in the NBA because they haven't won championships.

Yes, actually yes I am. Because that's all I really care about at this point. Win a championship during my lifetime, nothing else really matters to me in regards to the Knicks. I've seen Melo win a scoring title, I've seen Tyson Chandler win DPOY, I've seen JR Smith win 6th man of the year. Don't give a shyt about any of it. Win a championship!

so why don't we get Kevin Looney...he's won a championship so he must be better than AD.

ROSTER

Kinglee
Analyst

Post#2051 » by Kinglee » Thu May 17, 2018 7:59 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Kinglee wrote:

Who do you take?

SGA all the way

Kinglee wrote:I think people put a bit too much stock in the measurements. Pretty useless stuff to me

STRENGTHS
Elite size for a lead guard. Stands at 6-foot-6 with a 7-foot wingspan. Uses his length functionally on defense and as a finisher.

I've been on the bandwagon well before the measurements came out. I've been praising him and saying I want him for months now. He's a good point guard with star potential. Is he suppose to have terrible measurements to back my claim of not giving a **** about measurements and it being useless? Like what the hell? I also said KD best player in the league and he can't bench 225
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#2052 » by King of Canada » Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 pm

I missed so much of this today. Just buried in work. If Phil was still in charge the pick would have already been made and he'd be eating Asian cuisine somewhere in the prairies.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#2053 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Kinglee wrote:

Who do you take?

SGA all the way

STRENGTHS

Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#2054 » by Polk377 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Even as a SF, he'd be undersized

But he will have to play PF in the NBA

While his ball skills have improved, Bridges still has the skill set of a face-up four/hybrid forward than a straight three. He's not overly advanced with the ball in the half court, struggles to make shots from the perimeter (1-of-9 from three with loose mechanics), and isn't the most comfortable passer on the move or versus pressure. Bridges is steadily improving in all of those areas, but his success at the college level will most likely come as a mismatch power forward given his ability to finish above the rim inside, rebound, and defend bigs - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Miles-Bridges-81785/ ©DraftExpress

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Miles-Bridges-81785/

Bridges is listed by Michigan State as 6-7, but his last official measurements put him at 6-6 with a 6-9 wingspan. Losing that inch would make him slightly undersized as a small forward and well undersized at the 4 based on a collection of 2016 measurements from Nylon Calculus. In fact, several 6-6 wings drafted since 2012 would be characterized as strict shooting guards. Bridges isn’t Jonathan Isaac.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/miles-bridges-nba-draft-2018-michigan-state-basketball-scouting-report-highlights/1dwv1ck75kvor1pkvgtzd5w3kk

https://www.theringer.com/2017/2/17/16042844/miles-bridges-isnt-the-next-draymond-green-so-then-who-is-he-44747d628e16

Congratulations quoting an article from almost 2 years ago after he proved to be more this season.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#2055 » by mpharris36 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:01 pm

Kinglee wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
SGA all the way

STRENGTHS

I've been on the bandwagon well before the measurements came out. I've been praising him and saying I want him for months now. He's a good point guard with star potential. Is he suppose to have terrible measurements to back my claim of not giving a **** about measurements and it being useless? Like what the hell? I also said KD best player in the league and he can't bench 225

you really needed the measurements to come out to tell you that SGA was a big guard with elite wingspan? Your own eyes didn't tell you that.

The reason SGA is so effective is because of his elite size and wingspan...he isn't an elite athlete you know...

ROSTER

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#2056 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Kinglee wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
SGA all the way

STRENGTHS

The NBA doesn't do 225lb bench press, they do 185.

KD not being able to bench 185 was irrelevant then and would be irrelevant now. The fact that he was a legit 7' small forward with an unbelievable wingspan and reach is part of what made him an insane prospect IN CONJUNCTION with his insane skill level.

Funny how you say you've been praising him for months, but you just started posting in this thread. If you've really seen him play, you'd know that part of what makes him so good is his size and length. If he weren't 6'6 with a 7' wingspan but were 6'2 with a much smaller wingspan, people wouldn't be as high on him.
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 5,065

Post#2057 » by Jeffrey » Thu May 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Does anyone see Mikal Bridges as a more athletic Courtney Lee? What is his ceiling?
Kinglee
Analyst

Post#2058 » by Kinglee » Thu May 17, 2018 8:04 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Kinglee wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

STRENGTHS

you really needed the measurements to come out to tell you that SGA was a big guard with elite wingspan? Your own eyes didn't tell you that.

The reason SGA is so effective is because of his elite size and wingspan...he isn't an elite athlete you know...

Pretty sure Westbrook and Frank have good measurements, have you seen me praise them? I praise guys by their ability to play basketball. All the other **** is irrelevant to me. What were Jokic measurements? He's my favorite player in the NBA
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#2059 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu May 17, 2018 8:05 pm

INB4 Kinglee thinks he was praising SGA before me and Mecca and others...

3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,382

Post#2060 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu May 17, 2018 8:05 pm

draft thread starting to get lit again. hasnt been like that since before kp got hurt
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it

Return to New York Knicks