ImageImageImageImageImage

2018/2019 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Who's Hotter?

Cap
10%
Mags
10%
KoC
7%
DK
2%
KT/FOE <--His new name sucks!
36%
Thugger
7%
GONYK
7%
Remi
10%
Moocow
10%
NLR
2%

Total votes: 42

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,486

Re: 2018/2019 NBA Trade/Wishing Well Thread (Cont.) 

Post#401 » by cgf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:17 pm

Fat Kat wrote:Stop sleeping on Trey.

Unlike Dot/Baker/Kornet/Mudiay/etc. I actually like that lil guy.

...but I dunno how many defensive liabilities Fiz will be cool with having in his bench mob. So — since I can’t see us dumping Timmy without it being too painful to be worth it — I think trey’s spot will come under fire if we can sign Kyrie or Kemba n Trier ever figures **** out as that 3rd PG/scoring combo guard.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,558

Post#402 » by Fat Kat » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:27 pm

cgf wrote:

...but I dunno how many defensive liabilities Fiz will be cool with having in his bench mob. So — since I can’t see us dumping Timmy without it being too painful to be worth it — I think trey’s spot will come under fire if we can sign Kyrie or Kemba n Trier ever figures **** out as that 3rd PG/scoring combo guard.

Kyrie and Kemba are defensive stalwarts? Sounds like folks want a maxcat just to say we got one. If Trey can replicate last season, he’ll again be better than Kemba and just a notch below Kyrie. If Kyrie gets hurt again, I don’t want to give him a meeting.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
cgf
RealGM

Post#403 » by cgf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:33 pm

30andoverclub wrote:
cgf wrote:
30andoverclub wrote:
Signing Kemba would be interesting to me if a. he's willing to take less than a max salary (say starting at $25MM) and/or b. Kyrie will only come if we trade a bunch of assets to get Butler as well.

If Kemba would take a lower salary, it would give the Knicks a lot more flexibility to keep guys like Hezonja and Mudiay if either or both take a big step forward this year. I know that many people think Hezonja is going to play well, but I also I feel like Mudiay still has untapped potential on both sides of the ball. He shot over 37% from three for Denver last year on 102 attempts. He also clearly has an excellent physical profile for the PG position (i.e., 6'5" with a 6'9" wingspan) if can push himself on defense.

I'm keeping an open mind, but I expect nothing from Hezonja & Mudiay beyond this year. They have high capholds, and I just don't see the light finally coming on for either one unless Fiz is a wizard...in which case it won't matter if sign a max cat or not lol

Oh yes, I agree it's unlikely, but Fizdale has a pretty great track record with development, Mudiay has been practicing with the team all summer, and it's a contract year for both. At worst, I hope they look decent enough that we can use one or both as an asset in a trade.

Fingers crossed on Fiz’ ability to work magic with some of these young guys even if just to ship them off at the deadline for 2021 2nd rounders.

...and that cap space point is an interesting aspect that I hadn’t even thought about. I just really like Kemba’s game and would love to snag him to be our PG if we don’t get Kyrie :lol:

His durability & leadership would be great for the Fizkids even beyond his awesome on court fit with them, even if he’s not the superstar that Kyrie is; who can just throw the team on his back in crunch time.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cgf
RealGM

Post#404 » by cgf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:44 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
cgf wrote:

Kyrie and Kemba are defensive stalwarts? Sounds like folks want a maxcat just to say we got one. If Trey can replicate last season, he’ll again be better than Kemba and just a notch below Kyrie. If Kyrie gets hurt again, I don’t want to give him a meeting.

Did I say they were? I was talking about the bench crew. Accommodating a star in your starting lineup who’s not a defensive stalwart isn’t the same thing as accommodating a bench scorer that can’t defend well...especially since we’re already going to have to do that with Timmy if we get a max cat.

That’s why Frank is a lock in that backup PG spot...even if he starts at the 2 until our 2019 pick can take it from him & Mitch forces his way into the starting 5...thereby pushing Knox to the 3, so that our 2019 pick can only start at the 2...

Burke has never in his life been better than Kemba so don’t even bother expecting me to entertain such ridiculous homerism. I get that he’s your dude but that doesn’t mean i’m going to participate in your delusion. I hope he can keep his strong finish going into this season & give us a quality 3rd PG/ scoring Combo guard for all those nights where Timmy is cold, on the cheap. But any bigger role than that will mean that we screwed up our pick next summer or we couldn’t use our cap space to get a star guard.

Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,558

Post#405 » by Fat Kat » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 pm

cgf wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
cgf wrote:

Did I say they were? I was talking about the bench crew. Accommodating a star in your starting lineup who’s not a defensive stalwart isn’t the same thing as accommodating a bench scorer that can’t defend well...especially since we’re already going to have to do that with Timmy if we get a max cat.

That’s why Frank is a lock in that backup PG spot...even if he starts at the 2 until our 2019 pick can take it from him & Mitch forces his way into the starting 5...thereby pushing Knox to the 3, so that our 2019 pick can only start at the 2...

Burke has never in his life been better than Kemba so don’t even bother expecting me to entertain such ridiculous homerism. I get that he’s your dude but that doesn’t mean i’m going to participate in your delusion. I hope he can keep his strong finish going into this season & give us a quality 3rd PG/ scoring Combo guard for all those nights where Timmy is cold, on the cheap. But any bigger role than that will mean that we screwed up our pick next summer or we couldn’t use our cap space to get a star guard.

Trey had a better season than Kemba last year. That’s just the math of it. He’s not “my dude”. I’m just not cool with maxing out a 41% career shooter. I’m confident Perry will stay away from him.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
lloydj
Rookie
And1: 95

Post#406 » by lloydj » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:10 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
lloydj wrote:2019/2020 Knick Team:

C: Kanter and/or KP? (RFA)/Mitchell/Noah? (trade, stretch or keep)
PF: Markieff & Marcus Morris (UFA) or Julius Randle (UFA)/2019 Rookie
SF: Knox/Mario? (UFA)/2019 Rookie
SG: Hardaway jr./Frank/Lee? (trade, keep or stretch)/Dotson
PG: (Irving, Dame or C.J. long shots) or Kemba (UFA) and/or TJ McConnell (UFA) or Burke (UFA)/Trier

8-)

:eek1:

Put up son.
8-)
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,035

Post#407 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:03 am

lloydj wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
lloydj wrote:2019/2020 Knick Team:

C: Kanter and/or KP? (RFA)/Mitchell/Noah? (trade, stretch or keep)
PF: Markieff & Marcus Morris (UFA) or Julius Randle (UFA)/2019 Rookie
SF: Knox/Mario? (UFA)/2019 Rookie
SG: Hardaway jr./Frank/Lee? (trade, keep or stretch)/Dotson
PG: (Irving, Dame or C.J. long shots) or Kemba (UFA) and/or TJ McConnell (UFA) or Burke (UFA)/Trier

8-)

Put up son.
8-)

Put up what? :lol: You want me to try to make sense of that AND put up my own version? :eek1:
:beer: RIP mags
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#408 » by KnickFan33 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:07 am

2022 should be a deep draft with high schoolers allowed to be drafted on top of college prospects. Hope the FO starts making moves to acquire some picks for it.
30andoverclub
Sophomore
And1: 112

Post#409 » by 30andoverclub » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:24 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
30andoverclub wrote:
cgf wrote:
I'm keeping an open mind, but I expect nothing from Hezonja & Mudiay beyond this year. They have high capholds, and I just don't see the light finally coming on for either one unless Fiz is a wizard...in which case it won't matter if sign a max cat or not lol

Oh yes, I agree it's unlikely, but Fizdale has a pretty great track record with development, Mudiay has been practicing with the team all summer, and it's a contract year for both. At worst, I hope they look decent enough that we can use one or both as an asset in a trade.

What is Fiz's great track record with development?

Josh Richardson, Tyler Johnson and Mario Chalmers, and Hassan Whiteside in Miami.

As head coach with Memphis:

Throughout the year, Fizdale has used JaMychal Green as the Grizzlies’ Swiss-army knife. Some nights, he’s guarding guys like Karl-Anthony Towns or Anthony Davis. Then, the next night, he’ll be assigned to Kevin Durant or Carmelo Anthony...In addition to his defensive versatility, Green has developed a solid 3-point shot (37.9 percent). Given his outside-shooting abilities, he was able to either space the floor and spot up or fade behind the arc on screens.

2015-16: 46.5 FG%, 0.6 3PA, 33.3 3P%, 48.0 eFG%
2016-17: 50.0 FG%, 1.9 3PA, 37.9 3P%, 55.5 eFG%

After Fizdale was hired, he approached Marc Gasol and told him that he expected four 3-point attempts per game. That decision unlocked an entirely new dimension in Gasol’s game.

Gasol shot 38.8 percent from downtown, connecting on 104 of his 268 3-point attempts. It’s also played a huge part in his career year, as he averaged a career-high 19.5 points and made his third All-Star game.

2015-16: 0.1 3PA per game, 46.5 eFG%, 16.6 PPG
2016-17: 3.6 3PA per game, 38.8 3P%, 50.3 eFG%, 19.5 PPG

In Fizdale’s free-flowing offense, Conley was the main beneficiary in the transformation as he shattered career highs across the board. He averaged 20.5 points on 40.5 percent (171-for-419) shooting from downtown.

While he did have a spectacular regular season, he showed his true stardom in the playoffs, averaging 24.7 points on 44.7 percent from behind the arc and seven assists. After going toe-to-toe with Kawhi Leonard, he truly solidified his place as one of the league’s elite point guards.

2015-16: 42.2 FG%, 36.3 3P%, 3.8 3PA, 47.8 eFG%, 15.3 PPG
2016-17: 46.0 FG%, 40.8 3P%, 6.1 3PA, 54.5 eFG%, 20.5 PPG

Quote from Mike Conley after Fizdale was fired.

Read on Twitter

With Memphis, that was development of players aged 26, 29, and 32, and done in his first year as head coach. Mike Conley had his best year as a 10 year veteran! I'm excited to see what he can do with guys who are 23 and under and hopefully over the course of many years.
cgf
RealGM

Post#410 » by cgf » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:30 am

KnickFan33 wrote:2022 should be a deep draft with high schoolers allowed to be drafted on top of college prospects. Hope the FO starts making moves to acquire some picks for it.

Pretty sure that's 2021

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#411 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:43 am

30andoverclub wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
30andoverclub wrote:

What is Fiz's great track record with development?

Josh Richardson, Tyler Johnson and Mario Chalmers, and Hassan Whiteside in Miami.

As head coach with Memphis:

Throughout the year, Fizdale has used JaMychal Green as the Grizzlies’ Swiss-army knife. Some nights, he’s guarding guys like Karl-Anthony Towns or Anthony Davis. Then, the next night, he’ll be assigned to Kevin Durant or Carmelo Anthony...In addition to his defensive versatility, Green has developed a solid 3-point shot (37.9 percent). Given his outside-shooting abilities, he was able to either space the floor and spot up or fade behind the arc on screens.

2015-16: 46.5 FG%, 0.6 3PA, 33.3 3P%, 48.0 eFG%
2016-17: 50.0 FG%, 1.9 3PA, 37.9 3P%, 55.5 eFG%

After Fizdale was hired, he approached Marc Gasol and told him that he expected four 3-point attempts per game. That decision unlocked an entirely new dimension in Gasol’s game.

Gasol shot 38.8 percent from downtown, connecting on 104 of his 268 3-point attempts. It’s also played a huge part in his career year, as he averaged a career-high 19.5 points and made his third All-Star game.

2015-16: 0.1 3PA per game, 46.5 eFG%, 16.6 PPG
2016-17: 3.6 3PA per game, 38.8 3P%, 50.3 eFG%, 19.5 PPG

In Fizdale’s free-flowing offense, Conley was the main beneficiary in the transformation as he shattered career highs across the board. He averaged 20.5 points on 40.5 percent (171-for-419) shooting from downtown.

While he did have a spectacular regular season, he showed his true stardom in the playoffs, averaging 24.7 points on 44.7 percent from behind the arc and seven assists. After going toe-to-toe with Kawhi Leonard, he truly solidified his place as one of the league’s elite point guards.

2015-16: 42.2 FG%, 36.3 3P%, 3.8 3PA, 47.8 eFG%, 15.3 PPG
2016-17: 46.0 FG%, 40.8 3P%, 6.1 3PA, 54.5 eFG%, 20.5 PPG

Quote from Mike Conley after Fizdale was fired.

Read on Twitter

With Memphis, that was development of players aged 26, 29, and 32, and done in his first year as head coach. Mike Conley had his best year as a 10 year veteran! I'm excited to see what he can do with guys who are 23 and under and hopefully over the course of many years.

You're really reaching here. There were many people involved in Miami especially Spoelstra and 3-4 other assistants on that bench and how did he develop veterans in Memphis? Conley might have liked him but Gasol didn't and Conley was great before Fiz got there, he just needed to stay healthy.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,876

Post#412 » by Jose7 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:50 am

He just gave you fact after fact after fact..yet "he's reaching"

BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#413 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:07 am

Jose7 wrote:He just gave you fact after fact after fact..yet "he's reaching"

The fact is that there were many more people involved in developing the players on Miami not just Fiz, that's a fact. The fact is that Conley was already a great player but just couldn't stay healthy and when was the last time veterans needed to be developed? So if he gets the credit for developing the Miami player from an assistants job then does that mean his assistants get the credit in Memphis? Hmmmmmmmmm
lloydj
Rookie
And1: 95

Post#414 » by lloydj » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:11 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
lloydj wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Put up son.
8-)

Put up what? :lol: You want me to try to make sense of that AND put up my own version? :eek1:

Weakly.
8-)
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#415 » by KnickFan33 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:00 am

cgf wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:2022 should be a deep draft with high schoolers allowed to be drafted on top of college prospects. Hope the FO starts making moves to acquire some picks for it.

Pretty sure that's 2021

Just going off what I see in the wiretap. Whatever year it is, the FO should try at collect picks for it.
30andoverclub
Sophomore

Post#416 » by 30andoverclub » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:03 am

newyorker4ever wrote:You're really reaching here. There were many people involved in Miami especially Spoelstra and 3-4 other assistants on that bench and how did he develop veterans in Memphis? Conley might have liked him but Gasol didn't and Conley was great before Fiz got there, he just needed to stay healthy.

Gasol took 66 3PA during his entire career. Fizdale himself told Gasol to shoot 4 3PA per game, and then Gasol did just that at a very high percentage. Mike Conley, in his own words, says that Fizdale made him a better player and leader. And I'm reaching. Cool.

Here's Fizdale's nba.com profile btw. Apparently, pre-Memphis:

David Fizdale begins his fifth season as an assistant coach for the HEAT after previously serving five seasons as an NBA assistant coach with the Golden State Warriors and Atlanta Hawks. He began his professional career assisting in the HEAT’s video room during the 1997-98 season. Among his current responsibilities, Fizdale will be assisting in the areas of player development, scouting, game preparation and other duties assigned by Head Coach Erik Spoelstra. In addition to directing players through individual workout sessions, Fizdale has served as Miami’s head coach in the 2010 and 2012 NBA Summer Leagues.

Fizdale returned to Miami prior to the 2008-09 season after spending four seasons (2004-08) as an assistant coach with the Atlanta Hawks where he played an instrumental role in the development of their young players. He helped the Hawks increase their win total in each of his final three seasons and during the 2007-08 season, they earned the franchise’s first postseason appearance since 1999. He began his NBA coaching career as an assistant coach with the Golden State Warriors for one season (2003-04).

Directly before joining the Warriors, Fizdale spent five seasons coaching in the college ranks. After concluding his collegiate playing career and spending one year as the HEAT’s video intern in 1997-98, he began his coaching career with a four-year stint (1998-2002) as an assistant coach at his alma mater, the University of San Diego. During his final year with the Toreros he was the top assistant for coach Brad Holland. While at USD, he was in charge of scheduling, served as the recruiting coordinator and worked in player development and on-court coaching. After four years at San Diego, he spent one season (2002-03) as an assistant coach at Fresno State University where his responsibilities included player development and serving as the school’s recruiting coordinator.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#417 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:19 pm

30andoverclub wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:You're really reaching here. There were many people involved in Miami especially Spoelstra and 3-4 other assistants on that bench and how did he develop veterans in Memphis? Conley might have liked him but Gasol didn't and Conley was great before Fiz got there, he just needed to stay healthy.

Gasol took 66 3PA during his entire career. Fizdale himself told Gasol to shoot 4 3PA per game, and then Gasol did just that at a very high percentage. Mike Conley, in his own words, says that Fizdale made him a better player and leader. And I'm reaching. Cool.

David Fizdale begins his fifth season as an assistant coach for the HEAT after previously serving five seasons as an NBA assistant coach with the Golden State Warriors and Atlanta Hawks. He began his professional career assisting in the HEAT’s video room during the 1997-98 season. Among his current responsibilities, Fizdale will be assisting in the areas of player development, scouting, game preparation and other duties assigned by Head Coach Erik Spoelstra. In addition to directing players through individual workout sessions, Fizdale has served as Miami’s head coach in the 2010 and 2012 NBA Summer Leagues.

Fizdale returned to Miami prior to the 2008-09 season after spending four seasons (2004-08) as an assistant coach with the Atlanta Hawks where he played an instrumental role in the development of their young players. He helped the Hawks increase their win total in each of his final three seasons and during the 2007-08 season, they earned the franchise’s first postseason appearance since 1999. He began his NBA coaching career as an assistant coach with the Golden State Warriors for one season (2003-04).

Directly before joining the Warriors, Fizdale spent five seasons coaching in the college ranks. After concluding his collegiate playing career and spending one year as the HEAT’s video intern in 1997-98, he began his coaching career with a four-year stint (1998-2002) as an assistant coach at his alma mater, the University of San Diego. During his final year with the Toreros he was the top assistant for coach Brad Holland. While at USD, he was in charge of scheduling, served as the recruiting coordinator and worked in player development and on-court coaching. After four years at San Diego, he spent one season (2002-03) as an assistant coach at Fresno State University where his responsibilities included player development and serving as the school’s recruiting coordinator.

Yes you're reaching. Fiz does not have some great (as you put it) record for developing young players. Telling Gasol to shoot more 3's isn't developing him it's letting him shoot more 3's. He didn't teach him how to shoot 3's. Conley was already great and he wasn't the only coach on that Miami team working on developing the young players. Since you didn't answer this before i'll ask again. Since you give a assistant coach the credit for developing the players in Miami then does that mean an assistant coach deserves the credit in Memphis or does Fiz get the credit no matter where he coaches and whatever position he's in with that team?

I'm not and never did say he doesn't deserve SOME credit for where he's been cause he wouldn't have these jobs if he wasn't doing his job but when you call him GREAT at developing i just don't think he has some great track record for developing players yet.
cgf
RealGM

Post#418 » by cgf » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:56 pm

So are you just not reading the posts he’s responding to you with?

30andoverclub
Sophomore

Post#419 » by 30andoverclub » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:57 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
30andoverclub wrote:

Yes you're reaching. Fiz does not have some great (as you put it) record for developing young players. Telling Gasol to shoot more 3's isn't developing him it's letting him shoot more 3's. He didn't teach him how to shoot 3's. Conley was already great and he wasn't the only coach on that Miami team working on developing the young players. Since you didn't answer this before i'll ask again. Since you give a assistant coach the credit for developing the players in Miami then does that mean an assistant coach deserves the credit in Memphis or does Fiz get the credit no matter where he coaches and whatever position he's in with that team?

I'm not and never did say he doesn't deserve SOME credit for where he's been cause he wouldn't have these jobs if he wasn't doing his job but when you call him GREAT at developing i just don't think he has some great track record for developing players yet.

When did I say he deserved all of the credit? You're getting too hung up on me saying Fizdale develops them as if he's the only one involved. The point is, it's been something he's been doing all his life, and he's been through three teams now where he's been either a high level assistant or head coach and players have seen significant development in their games.

And how is adding a three pointer to someone's game not developing them? It wasn't just a matter of telling Gasol to do it, but constantly instilling confidence in him as well helping him understand how best to get to open spots, whether through the pick and roll or trailing the fast break instead of diving into the paint. It was basically re-training what had been hard-wired into his game for 15 years.

And then, once opposing players realized he could stroke the three, it opened up an additional facet of his passing game thanks to pump-fakes. He had a career high in points AND assists that year.

But it's one thing to catch and shoot with no defense (other than Conley yapping playful trash talk). It's another to learn the footwork and on-court orchestration to find those shots in game situations. From the pick-and-roll Gasol knew so well, it's typically only one extra step to get out to the 3-point line, instead of popping to his comfort zone in the mid-range, but it's a completely different routine. He also had to train himself to hunt for 3s as he trailed his faster teammates up the court on the break.

The 3-pointer has also unleashed Gasol's inner point guard. He's a plodder, but his first step is plenty quick enough to blow by big men, who are forced to sprint full speed to close out on him, allowing him to create off the dribble to the tune of a career-high 4.6 assists per game.

"You're running so fast at him, he just shows you that shot-fake and puts it down and now he's in the lane making plays," Fizdale says. "I think that's where people are seeing a whole new world for Marc. It's not just his 3-ball going in, but you're seeing a game where he's actually playing off the dribble and making plays for his teammates and for himself. Yeah, he could pass before, but there was not a lot of stuff where he was dealing with guys closing out on him."

Conley was already a great player, yes. Fizdale made him better. Conley said this himself, and the statistics bear it out. Same with Gasol and J. Green. Older players are consistently evolving their games, often due to the loss of athleticism during their younger years. So, yes, older players can be developed as well. I'm not sure why you don't believe that's the case.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,549

Post#420 » by BigShot Bojan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:06 pm

We need to start stockpiling second rounders they will be equivalent to later first rounders
Formerly Knicks85

Return to New York Knicks