ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: MJ or LeBron? Who is the GOAT?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Who is the GOAT?

Michael Jordan
75%
LeBron James
25%

Total votes: 185

spree8
RealGM
And1: 5,821

Re: OT: MJ or LeBron? Who is the GOAT? 

Post#801 » by spree8 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:57 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:
spree8 wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:
He provided statistical evidence that players are about an inch taller today than they were in the mid 60s. In the 60s the best teams had 3 or 4 all-stars on them, many of whom went to the hall of fame.

Wilt would lead the league in rebounding and blocks in any era and be the best defensive player in the league. The only real question is how many points would he score against modern defenses.

No he didn’t.. just stop.

You need to actually make a point and stop thinking you have an airtight argument. A 40-something year old Wilt could still dominate the best the NBA had to offer. [url][/url]

Dude... what’s wrong with you? For the fuggin millionth time, all I said about Wilt was that he wouldn’t be putting up 50ppg and 25rpg in the 90’s like he did in the 60’s. I never said he wouldn’t be really good... just not THAT good. Wtf is so hard to understand about that?
CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,487

Post#802 » by CharlesOakley » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:13 pm

spree8 wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:
spree8 wrote:

No he didn’t.. just stop.

You need to actually make a point and stop thinking you have an airtight argument. A 40-something year old Wilt could still dominate the best the NBA had to offer. [url][/url]

Dude... what’s wrong with you? For the fuggin millionth time, all I said about Wilt was that he wouldn’t be putting up 50ppg and 25rpg in the 90’s like he did in the 60’s. I never said he wouldn’t be really good... just not THAT good. Wtf is so hard to understand about that?

What you keep claiming is the 60s was a weak era of basketball. You keep ignoring the hall of fame centers Wilt played against. The 60s may have been the most physical of any era of basketball. Jerry West had his nose broken 9 times going into the paint in his career. There was no such thing as "star treatment". Again, with less teams the talent per team was at an all-time high.

Just put me on ignore. You don't seem interested in defending your opinion, just repeating it over and over again as truth.
spree8
RealGM

Post#803 » by spree8 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:26 pm

CharlesOakley wrote:
spree8 wrote:
CharlesOakley wrote:

What you keep claiming is the 60s was a weak era of basketball. You keep ignoring the hall of fame centers Wilt played against. The 60s may have been the most physical of any era of basketball. Jerry West had his nose broken 9 times going into the paint in his career. There was no such thing as "star treatment". Again, with less teams the talent per team was at an all-time high.

Just put me on ignore. You don't seem interested in defending your opinion, just repeating it over and over again as truth.

No you keep repeating the same thing over n over when all I said was 1 thing: Wilt wouldn’t average the crazy numbers he did in the 60’s if he played in the 90’s. I’ve never heard anyone ever say the players in the 60’s were tougher, more athletic, or just flat out better than the 90’s....never ever ever. That’s ridiculous and you must be biased because you’re just ignoring facts and evolution in general lol. You piggie back on someone else posting something about height only (which was still a few inches smaller in the 60’s than 90’s), as if that’s the end all be all, as if size/strength, weight, wingspan, athleticism, basketball IQ, skills, prep/training, etc haven’t evolved. Talk about delusional.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,314

Post#804 » by DOT » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Wilt would still dominate in today's league, but his stats are inflated by his era, cause the pace of play back then was insane

Since BBallRef doesn't have pace stats for back then, we'll use FGA per game

Today, teams get around 85, 86 shots per game. Back in the early 00s, mid 90s, that was down to low 80s. The year Wilt scored 50 ppg, the average team took 108 shots in a game

It dropped off after that year, but through the 60s, the average team was taking nearly 100 shots in a game, which is part of why his stats, especially rebounds, are so high

That's not to diminish his ability, just to say that his stats really don't tell the whole story. Dude was a monster, and would absolutely dominate today
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
spree8
RealGM

Post#805 » by spree8 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:46 pm

K-DOT wrote:Wilt would still dominate in today's league, but his stats are inflated by his era, cause the pace of play back then was insane

Today, teams get around 85, 86 shots per game. Back in the early 00s, mid 90s, that was down to low 80s. The year Wilt scored 50 ppg, the average team took 108 shots in a game

It dropped off after that year, but through the 60s, the average team was taking nearly 100 shots in a game, which is part of why his stats, especially rebounds, are so high

That's not to diminish his ability, just to say that his stats really don't tell the whole story. Dude was a monster, and would absolutely dominate today

The other point is the competition. If he were to play in the 90’s (because today’s game is weak in comparison) instead of the 60’s... those numbers would be more deflated.
MadGrinch
Veteran
And1: 412

Post#806 » by MadGrinch » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:18 pm

spree8 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Wilt would still dominate in today's league, but his stats are inflated by his era, cause the pace of play back then was insane

The other point is the competition. If he were to play in the 90’s (because today’s game is weak in comparison) instead of the 60’s... those numbers would be more deflated.

didn't you make a post declaring that as time goes on players have to be better?

that wilt was playing against elementary school children?

but nearly 30 years after the 90's competition is weaker?

did 7fter's start dying off like dinosaurs or something?
Its because I'm green isn't it?
spree8
RealGM

Post#807 » by spree8 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 pm

MadGrinch wrote:
spree8 wrote:

didn't you make a post declaring that as time goes on players have to be better?

:lol: Jesus man, use your brain. I seriously shouldn’t have to spell this out for you. It’s common knowledge the rules today have made the game much softer/weaker than the 90’s. That has nothing to do with skill. Think before you post.
MadGrinch
Veteran

Post#808 » by MadGrinch » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:58 pm

spree8 wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:
spree8 wrote:

:lol: Jesus man, use your brain. I seriously shouldn’t have to spell this out for you. It’s common knowledge the rules today have made the game much softer/weaker than the 90’s. That has nothing to do with skill. Think before you post.

you should take your own advice , your posting on this thread is pure comedy.
spree8
RealGM

Post#809 » by spree8 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:26 pm

MadGrinch wrote:
spree8 wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:

Seeing as how I’ve done nothing but laugh at your pathetic attempts to try to convince me that: the competition in the 60’s was better than the 90’s, including posting a link which both proved my point (bigs were smaller in the 60’s) and didn’t account for virtually every other aspect of physical competition (weight, strength, athleticism, wingspan, etc) or the evolution of the game (IQ, prep/training, techniques, schemes, etc); I’d say that your posts are the ones that have been pure comedy, not mine.

60’s competition > 90’s competition? :rofl:

I mean seriously, cmon.
MadGrinch
Veteran

Post#810 » by MadGrinch » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:52 pm

spree8 wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Seeing as how I’ve done nothing but laugh at your pathetic attempts to try to convince me that: the competition in the 60’s was better than the 90’s, including posting a link which both proved my point (bigs were smaller in the 60’s) and didn’t account for virtually every other aspect of physical competition (weight, strength, athleticism, wingspan, etc) or the evolution of the game (IQ, prep/training, techniques, schemes, etc); I’d say that your posts are the ones that have been pure comedy, not mine.

I mean seriously, cmon.

no i can just count

5 hall of famers at center in their prime for 67-68 out of 12 teams

how many hall of famers at center in their prime in 97-98 out of 29 teams i'll give you a hint rik smits and jayson williams was on the all star team in the east and they aint make it.

how many nights was shaq fattening up his numbers on the dean garrett , ervin johnson, erick dampier, fat oliver miller ,old hakeem olajuwon(no longer an all star caliber player) , michael stewart, cherokee parks,terry davis,andrew declerk, jim mcilvaine, strojko vrankovic, shawn bradley , luc longley , greg ostertag, mark bryant old pat ewing(only played 26 games that season, also never an all star again ) bryant reeves,z. illgaustas.

to hear you tell it every night it was a legendary slugfest

to be honest it was just shaq, deke mutumbo, david robinson (who got hurt the previous season and was never the same)and alonzo mourning , hell i'll throw in a rookie duncan who spent the season and the next 5 or so seasons at power forward

for those counting at home that is now 5 out of 29 teams

so was it really that more competitive?
i dont think it was .

you don't know what you are talking about .

pure comedy.
spree8
RealGM

Post#811 » by spree8 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:17 am

MadGrinch wrote:
spree8 wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:

I mean seriously, cmon.

no i can just count

how many hall of famers at center in their prime in 97-98 out of 29 teams i'll give you a hint rik smits and jayson williams was on the all star team in the east and they aint make it.

how many nights was shaq fattening up his numbers on the dean garrett , ervin johnson, erick dampier, fat oliver miller ,old hakeem olajuwon(no longer an all star caliber player) , michael stewart, cherokee parks,terry davis,andrew declerk, jim mcilvaine, strojko vrankovic, shawn bradley , luc longley , greg ostertag, mark bryant old pat ewing(only played 26 games that season, also never an all star again ) bryant reeves,z. illgaustas.

to be honest it was just shaq, deke mutumbo, david robinson (who got hurt the previous season and was never the same)and alonzo mourning , hell i'll throw in a rookie duncan who spent the season and the next 5 or so seasons at power forward

i dont think it was .

pure comedy.

Wow you’re really terrible at this man. Your reasoning is ridiculous. Wtf are you even talking about those particular years for??? And why are you so stuck on just the center position? I’m also referring to team defenses and players at other positions for the 1000000th time.

In the 60’s during Wilt’s dominant years, he played against:

Bill smaller than Kevin Durant Russell
Walt Bellamy
Nate Thurmond
Willis Reed
Bob 205lb Pettit

All under 7 ft and weighed even as low as fuggin 205lbs. And the rest of the players on the court were not even close to the athletes in the 90’s. Sorry.

The centers of the 90’s-

Shaq
Dream
DRob
Ewing
Zo
Mutombo

And that’s not even counting the other help defenders down low at pf like Duncan, Garnett, Malone, Rodman, HGrant, Kemp, Sheed, Oakley, etc.

Please stfu already with this garbage about physically weaker and less skilled players from the 1960’s. It’s pathetic. Pick up a science book or go click on that Ted Talk video Sark posted, and step your game up before you quote me again with your twisted logic.
MadGrinch
Veteran

Post#812 » by MadGrinch » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:15 am

spree8 wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:
spree8 wrote:

I mean seriously, cmon.

no i can just count

i dont think it was .

pure comedy.

Wow you’re really terrible at this man. Your reasoning is ridiculous. Wtf are you even talking about those particular years for??? And why are you so stuck on just the center position? I’m also referring to team defenses and players at other positions for the 1000000th time.

Walt Bellamy
Nate Thurmond
Willis Reed
Bob 205lb Pettit

All under 7 ft and weighed even as low as fuggin 205lbs. And the rest of the players on the court were not even close to the athletes in the 90’s. Sorry.

The centers of the 90’s-

Shaq
Dream
DRob
Ewing
Zo
Mutombo

And that’s not even counting the other help defenders down low at pf like Duncan, Garnett, Malone, Rodman, HGrant, Kemp, Sheed, Oakley, etc.

Please stfu already with this garbage about physically weaker and less skilled players from the 1960’s. It’s pathetic. Pick up a science book or go click on that Ted Talk video Sark posted, and step your game up before you quote me again with your twisted logic.

once again you don't understand the concept of guy measured with shoes vs. without .

also genius bob petit was a forward in the 60's

better yet look at a picture of nate thurmond ...then look at tim dincan

how skilled was chris dudley , danny shayes or ervin johnson weren't they centers in the 90's , not end of the bench guys these guys started at times , in 97-98 ervin led the league ...in fouls

better yet tell me about the great defense of sacramento center michael stewart he was a starter you know

they played a much faster game so they weighed less but they had weights then too if they needed them if they came along now they'd have the same benefits today's players have

tell me this if they reffed the game like they did in 60's (not allowed physically move post players while backing down) how successful would shaq have been?

durant's taller than most centers in the 90's too he's taller than demarcus cousins(who is 6'9.5 with shoes off,but his nba listed height is 6'11)

you got a ted talk for that?

how tall was zo without shoes or better yet ben wallace?

you want to cape sark on a ted talk about how athletes are better than ever ....but at the same time post about how the nba bigs were better 20-30 years ago than they are now

twist that logic

the mental gymnastics you have to do.

lol.
spree8
RealGM

Post#813 » by spree8 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:02 am

MadGrinch wrote:
spree8 wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:
no i can just count

i dont think it was .

pure comedy.

Walt Bellamy
Nate Thurmond
Willis Reed
Bob 205lb Pettit

The centers of the 90’s-

Shaq
Dream
DRob
Ewing
Zo
Mutombo

once again you don't understand the concept of guy measured with shoes vs. without .

how skilled was chris dudley , danny shayes or ervin johnson weren't they centers in the 90's , not end of the bench guys these guys started at times , in 97-98 ervin led the league ...in fouls

better yet tell me about the great defense of sacramento center michael stewart he was a starter you know

they played a much faster game so they weighed less but they had weights then too if they needed them if they came along now they'd have the same benefits today's players have

tell me this if they reffed the game like they did in 60's (not allowed physically move post players while backing down) how successful would shaq have been?

durant's taller than most centers in the 90's too he's taller than demarcus cousins(who is 6'9.5 with shoes off,but his nba listed height is 6'11)

you want to cape sark on a ted talk about how athletes are better than ever ....but at the same time post about how the nba bigs were better 20-30 years ago than they are now

twist that logic

lol.

For the love of god man. You seriously don’t think before you post.

Before I had to spell out for you the fact that the game now is softer because of the rule changes because you’re accusing me of contradicting myself (conveniently) when bringing up evolution, as if it’s not obvious you’re spinning it to support your bs pov.

And now you’re doing it again by ignoring the fact that the game has changed and become more perimeter oriented. Just because athletes have evolved doesn’t mean that every generation has to have bigger and better post playing big men. I never said that at all lol. That’s ridiculous. However, players of all positions evolve physically and with the game... hence bigs wanting to play further out instead of down low.

You mentioned 5 HOF’ers in the 60’s besides Wilt...

Russell, Bellamy, Thurmond, Reed, and who else? I assumed Pettit. The guy did play center 2 years prior to 1960. Unless you’re talking about Wes who played 1 year in the 60’s. Regardless, I mentioned pf’s in my argument as having to help defend the paint, and Bob Pettit was playing against other bigs as a 205 lb’er... weak.

You’re so fixated with height as if it’s the end all be all when I have repeatedly told you there are other factors at play when considering size. What is so hard for you to understand about that? You’re seriously trying to convince me that Durant is bigger than Cousins because he’s slightly taller?! Gtfo here lol. Cousins would eat him for breakfast if he tried to guard him in the post.

Dunno why you’re comparing Thurmond to Duncan lol... Duncan was a pf in the 90’s “genius”.

Zo and Big Ben were built like brick shythouses man... again, stop with the height argument. They were strong as hell, muscular, athletic, and warriors on the defensive end. You think 215lb Bill Russell is gunna back them down in the post like he did these bums?...

MadGrinch
Veteran

Post#814 » by MadGrinch » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:30 pm

spree8 wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:
spree8 wrote:

Walt Bellamy
Nate Thurmond
Willis Reed
Bob 205lb Pettit

The centers of the 90’s-

Shaq
Dream
DRob
Ewing
Zo
Mutombo

twist that logic

lol.

Before I had to spell out for you the fact that the game now is softer because of the rule changes because you’re accusing me of contradicting myself (conveniently) when bringing up evolution, as if it’s not obvious you’re spinning it to support your bs pov.

And now you’re doing it again by ignoring the fact that the game has changed and become more perimeter oriented. Just because athletes have evolved doesn’t mean that every generation has to have bigger and better post playing big men. I never said that at all lol. That’s ridiculous. However, players of all positions evolve physically and with the game... hence bigs wanting to play further out instead of down low.

Russell, Bellamy, Thurmond, Reed, and who else? I assumed Pettit. The guy did play center 2 years prior to 1960. Unless you’re talking about Wes who played 1 year in the 60’s. Regardless, I mentioned pf’s in my argument as having to help defend the paint, and Bob Pettit was playing against other bigs as a 205 lb’er... weak.

You’re so fixated with height as if it’s the end all be all when I have repeatedly told you there are other factors at play when considering size. What is so hard for you to understand about that? You’re seriously trying to convince me that Durant is bigger than Cousins because he’s slightly taller?! Gtfo here lol. Cousins would eat him for breakfast if he tried to guard him in the post.

Dunno why you’re comparing Thurmond to Duncan lol... Duncan was a pf in the 90’s “genius”.

Zo and Big Ben were built like brick shythouses man... again, stop with the height argument. They were strong as hell, muscular, athletic, and warriors on the defensive end. You think 215lb Bill Russell is gunna back them down in the post like he did these bums?...

i figured it out , you just cant read .

i was actually counting wilt , but upon further review there was another zelmo beaty , he played on the hawks at center ...not petit

you assumed petit because you dont about you speak also ,

you don't seem to realize these things you keep quoting are rookie weights and they were not updated much if at all unless they switched teams

bill russell in his prime was about 240

wilt gained about 50 pounds during his career

players generally matured to gain about 20-25 pounds during their careers , the same as now(maybe a little more if they came in the league early) the human body hasn't changed much in 50 years

and once again the league then was much faster paced , it didn't make sense to be 300 pounds like they are being weeded out now as the game is once again getting faster , there aren't a lot of james donaldson types running around or oliver millers and mark eatons in today's nba because the league has become about being more switchable

you made this big thing about height til it blew up in your face , now its weight but centers are actually getting smaller

hey remember when you said in this thread about wilt playing against school children a couple pages back?

now its "he wouldn't be as dominant"

spree8
RealGM

Post#815 » by spree8 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:00 pm

MadGrinch wrote:
spree8 wrote:
MadGrinch wrote:

twist that logic

lol.

i figured it out , you just cant read .

i was actually counting wilt , but upon further review there was another zelmo beaty , he played on the hawks at center ...not petit

you assumed petit because you dont about you speak also ,

you don't seem to realize these things you keep quoting are rookie weights and they were not updated much if at all unless they switched teams

bill russell in his prime was about 240

wilt gained about 50 pounds during his career

players generally matured to gain about 20-25 pounds during their careers , the same as now(maybe a little more if they came in the league early) the human body hasn't changed much in 50 years

and once again the league then was much faster paced , it didn't make sense to be 300 pounds like they are being weeded out now as the game is once again getting faster , there aren't a lot of james donaldson types running around or oliver millers and mark eatons in today's nba because the league has become about being more switchable

you made this big thing about height til it blew up in your face , now its weight but centers are actually getting smaller

hey remember when you said in this thread about wilt playing against school children a couple pages back?

now its "he wouldn't be as dominant"

Wait, I can’t read? You didn’t specify and forced me to assume.

I didn’t even bother with your whole dumbass post except the first and last line. You wanna talk about me not being able to read... I didn’t say it was like Wilt playing against elementary school children... I said it’d be like me playing against school children... considering I’m not fuggin 7’1”, 275lbs, there’s a big difference.

You’ve been owned time n time again in this debate... sit down already. You’re the one ignoring evolution, and claiming players were better in the 60’s than 90’s... an idiotic point that few if any would agree with :lol:

Edit: just saw you put words in my mouth about mentioning height only and it blowing up in my face? When the fuq did I say that? You need to go back to school grampa.
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,600

Post#816 » by El Poochio » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Greenie wrote:
El Poochio wrote:Proud LeBron voter checking in

Check back out.

LeBron > MJ according to Kevin Knox as well

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
El Poochio

Post#817 » by El Poochio » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Poll should be changed to Lebron James or Malcolm X

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#818 » by Greenie » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:44 am

El Poochio wrote:
Greenie wrote:
El Poochio wrote:Proud LeBron voter checking in

Check back out.

Didn’t like the draft selection anyway
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,369

Post#819 » by NoStatsGuy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:51 pm

Greenie wrote:
El Poochio wrote:
Greenie wrote:Check back out.

you wouldve gotten porter jr? outside of mikael bridges i cant think of anyone i would rather have. OR you just dont like Knox' forhead LOL

sorry for off topic
im bout dat action boss
El Poochio

Post#820 » by El Poochio » Mon Oct 1, 2018 12:46 pm

Greenie wrote:
El Poochio wrote:
Greenie wrote:Check back out.