ImageImageImageImageImage

Perry: We will look for veterans to help the young guys waiting for the '19 free agency

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Re: RE: Re: Perry: We will look for veterans to help the young guys waiting for the '19 free agency 

Post#141 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jun 3, 2018 1:24 pm

GONYK wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Polk377 wrote:I don't see any way of resolving the Noah issue other than the amnesty or straight buyout. No one really knows where his head is at and it looks like he has been spending time with Phil at his Montana ranch smoking something....

Amnesty? We used that on Amare' as soon as it took effect.

No, we didn't

Billups not Amare'

My bad. It was Amare' that we should of used it on.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Re: Perry: We will look for veterans to help the young guys waiting for the '19 free agency 

Post#142 » by nedleeds » Sun Jun 3, 2018 1:42 pm

Polk377 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
I like Kanter and what he does well vs his deficiencies. He needs to decide what he wants to do before the draft so the Knicks aren't left with a hole at C in case he moves on.

Silver and the NBA should look to move free agency before the draft and move the draft to mid July.

And Noah. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I don't see any way of resolving the Noah issue other than the amnesty or straight buyout. No one really knows where his head is at and it looks like he has been spending time with Phil at his Montana ranch smoking something....

I just don't see the Noah "issue" given where we are. We all wish we'd done nothing but dump Melo in that offseason however it done now and we're just better off holding the contract until we have a 5% chance of being competitive. This year isn't that year and neither is next year. This year should be focused on losing as many games while KP is out. Every year he parties on his yacht lessens the money we owe with respect to the cap. There's no point in stretching until we have something real to do. If we make it to his final year he can be matching expiring salary, which is useful.

Also, who gives a flying **** if we have a 'hole' at center? More losses, play a young prospect and see if he can improve. Kanter doesn't need to do **** before the draft, nobody in that draft room is taking anything about Kanter into account when making the pick. He is irrelevant. He has 1 year left in a massive tank year, we play him enough to maybe trade him as an expiring to a playoff team who suffers an injury. Same with Lee, play him enough so other teams know he's alive.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,310

Re: Perry: We will look for veterans to help the young guys waiting for the '19 free agency 

Post#143 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Jun 3, 2018 1:53 pm

Stretch Noah. Sign Beasley. Continue the cycle of WTF?!
:beer: RIP mags
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#144 » by reub » Sun Jun 3, 2018 2:09 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:Stretch Noah. Sign Beasley. Continue the cycle of WTF?!

Noah should be out of the doghouse this season. That's another reason that we shouldn't want Kanter back here. Noah, O'Quinn and Kornet with hopefully KP getting healthy and playing some five is more than enough at that position. We need to upgrade our forwards, which is why we should draft Mikal, Miles or Porter and sign Hezonja and/or Jerami Grant as UFAs.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#145 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Jun 3, 2018 2:15 pm

reub wrote:

Noah should be out of the doghouse this season. That's another reason that we shouldn't want Kanter back here. Noah, O'Quinn and Kornet with hopefully KP getting healthy and playing some five is more than enough at that position. We need to upgrade our forwards, which is why we should draft Mikal, Miles or Porter and sign Hezonja and/or Jerami Grant as UFAs.

Yeah...I'm drunk right now. I know it's early but....I'm still drunk. I didn't even read your post because I'm drunk. It's not like I woke up and got drunk. I was drunk all fuggin night!

What were you saying? I'll drink to that!
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#146 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jun 3, 2018 2:18 pm

reub wrote:

Perry already said they aren't going after any free agents besides some vets to help the young guys and Henzonja and J.Grant aren't that. I think J.Grant is gonna be a wanted man by plenty of teams this off season as well.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#147 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Jun 3, 2018 2:26 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
reub wrote:

Perry already said they aren't going after any free agents besides some vets to help the young guys and Henzonja and J.Grant aren't that. I think J.Grant is gonna be a wanted man by plenty of teams this off season as well.

As of today...we have no cap or roster space. They CAN'T sign anyone. Unless Kyle opts out and they stretch Noah for no reason...Nothing happens. Stay tuned.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#149 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jun 3, 2018 2:34 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
reub wrote:

As of today...we have no cap or roster space. They CAN'T sign anyone. Unless Kyle opts out and they stretch Noah for no reason...Nothing happens. Stay tuned.

Well yeah i know that but it sure sounds to me like Perry is planning on using the stretch provision on Noah, which i'm against, and ya gotta think at least one of Kanter or KOQ will opt out if not both of them. If it were up to me i wouldn't stretch Noah and would actually play him 20 minutes a night or whatever he can handle and i'd love for Kanter to opt out and either let him go or re-sign him if he would sign for nothing more then $11 mil per, and with KOQ, i'd love to have him back but wouldn't give him any more then say $8 mil per which i don't think either one of them would do at those prices.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,321

Post#150 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sun Jun 3, 2018 2:38 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:https://email.fansided.com/c/eJx1j02OwyAMhU9DdkSAE5IsWLTq5AJzgMrhp0EpUAWiqrcfMqvZjGQ9y36fbdko7OQ4QOOVYHxkkgEHBgAtb_lVsgH6yzTNjIP4Ih1zGLM31rQ6hWZVA3cLdqY3YjEMJHfD0o-TRT0IcGbC5qnWUl6ZwIWIucbf-VqeJ2ti8hRRJdo3_aR9o1v0ess0OZct5hRpwf1hS6YnRWA-SrhrDC_0j0jgNmP8PvcScb2hf36IkCeR07Fr-78frPFHqL4Ntdvsyhrjbfu2lezYB9eUfj8tasGi17s3VPKx-wG8FGBU

Just commenting on the article, but Hood or Crawford would be bad ideas. The others we probably can't afford or would have to overpay (Noel, Mario, Randle,). Restricted free agents are tough to get without overpaying.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM

Post#151 » by Jalen Bluntson » Sun Jun 3, 2018 2:43 pm

newyorker4ever wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Well yeah i know that but it sure sounds to me like Perry is planning on using the stretch provision on Noah, which i'm against, and ya gotta think at least one of Kanter or KOQ will opt out if not both of them. If it were up to me i wouldn't stretch Noah and would actually play him 20 minutes a night or whatever he can handle and i'd love for Kanter to opt out and either let him go or re-sign him if he would sign for nothing more then $11 mil per, and with KOQ, i'd love to have him back but wouldn't give him any more then say $8 mil per which i don't think either one of them would do at those prices.

Kanter is not opting out. I wouldn't stretch Noah either. There is no reason to pay him to leave. I hope Perry isn't like the others.
newyorker4ever
RealGM

Post#152 » by newyorker4ever » Sun Jun 3, 2018 3:39 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Kanter is not opting out. I wouldn't stretch Noah either. There is no reason to pay him to leave. I hope Perry isn't like the others.

I'm really hoping Perry does this rebuild the right way. I'm not sold on this guy like others already are. So far all he's done is trade Willy and trade for E.Mudiay while giving up one of our 2nd round picks in a draft that's looking like there's gonna be some interesting players through most of the 2nd round. Not sure how either of those moves have sold fans on him. I want a creative GM that can make the bold but good trades, one that knows how to get involved in 3 team trades and one that can make the kind of trade that's being talked about with the Faried trade.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#153 » by GYK » Mon Jun 4, 2018 7:58 am

Hopefully we get Mikal. Then be bad/lucky enough to get RJ. No matter what long as we find that stretch five to play next to KP.
Vets are a good option for a tanking/learning team.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#154 » by NYKAL » Mon Jun 4, 2018 3:37 pm

GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Why? Is Kanter going to guard the perimeter so KP can protect the rim?

Kanter will guard the paint unless John Henson Gortat, Jarret Allen or Baynes are banging down 3 after 3 after 3. Otherwise, Kanter will man the paint with KP providing weakside rim protection. If we surround Kanter with KP, Frank, and Mikal, it'll work out much better.

I'd like to see Kornet on the court with Kanter.

So who is covering stretch 4's? Because KP will cheat in as long as Kanter is playing the 5, because Kanter is terrible in space when guarding the PnR.

Why would Kornet and Kanter be any better? Kornet is less agile than KP.

Hicks?
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#155 » by GONYK » Mon Jun 4, 2018 3:43 pm

NYKAL wrote:
GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Kanter will guard the paint unless John Henson Gortat, Jarret Allen or Baynes are banging down 3 after 3 after 3. Otherwise, Kanter will man the paint with KP providing weakside rim protection. If we surround Kanter with KP, Frank, and Mikal, it'll work out much better.

So who is covering stretch 4's? Because KP will cheat in as long as Kanter is playing the 5, because Kanter is terrible in space when guarding the PnR.

Hicks?

I don't think the Knicks are into tanking that obviously :lol:
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#156 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Jun 4, 2018 3:47 pm

nedleeds wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
And Noah. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I don't see any way of resolving the Noah issue other than the amnesty or straight buyout. No one really knows where his head is at and it looks like he has been spending time with Phil at his Montana ranch smoking something....

I just don't see the Noah "issue" given where we are. We all wish we'd done nothing but dump Melo in that offseason however it done now and we're just better off holding the contract until we have a 5% chance of being competitive. This year isn't that year and neither is next year. This year should be focused on losing as many games while KP is out. Every year he parties on his yacht lessens the money we owe with respect to the cap. There's no point in stretching until we have something real to do. If we make it to his final year he can be matching expiring salary, which is useful.

Also, who gives a flying **** if we have a 'hole' at center? More losses, play a young prospect and see if he can improve. Kanter doesn't need to do **** before the draft, nobody in that draft room is taking anything about Kanter into account when making the pick. He is irrelevant. He has 1 year left in a massive tank year, we play him enough to maybe trade him as an expiring to a playoff team who suffers an injury. Same with Lee, play him enough so other teams know he's alive.

never focus on losing
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,068

Post#157 » by GONYK » Mon Jun 4, 2018 3:50 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
Polk377 wrote:I don't see any way of resolving the Noah issue other than the amnesty or straight buyout. No one really knows where his head is at and it looks like he has been spending time with Phil at his Montana ranch smoking something....

never focus on losing

If that was our intention, we would have kept Jeff
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#158 » by kane2021 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 3:54 pm

What bugged me out is him talking about 2020 free agency. Time is flying. We’re basically right back where we were 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#159 » by camillepd » Mon Jun 4, 2018 4:12 pm

NYKAL wrote:
GONYK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Hicks?

Stretch 4s will be covered by Chimezie Metu, after we draft him in this upcoming draft.
Newyorknick94
Head Coach
And1: 2,518

Post#160 » by Newyorknick94 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 4:20 pm

Read on Twitter
Legends BAT
G - Penny Hardaway/Mike Bibby
G - Gilbert Arenas / Monta Ellis
F - Julius Erving/John Starks
F - Chris bosh/Danny Granger
C - Dikembe Mutombo

Return to New York Knicks