ImageImageImageImageImage

do you still have hope in hardaway jr?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Augusto61
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,862

do you still have hope in hardaway jr? 

Post#1 » by Augusto61 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:42 am

people act like this dude was mistake, but he has a nice jumpshot and is son of mr. hardaway. maybe next year he can breakout and be our kobe. next to our shaq, mr. porzingis. arent we underrating him? he can do everything from defense to 3pt shooting. all we need is one more breakout kid.
it's only after we've lost everything that we are free to do anything
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,612

Re: do you still have hope in hardaway jr? 

Post#2 » by DaGawd » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:50 am

He would absolutely need to become prime Kobe for his contract to not look like a mistake.
BaF
Washington Wizards
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,045

Post#3 » by Sark » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:53 am

He was a mistake signing then, and he is a mistake on this roster now. He has terrible shot selection, and has no redeeming qualities on the court when he's not scoring. He's a bad passer, and bad rebounder.

And being Tim Hardaway's son is not a positive. I hated that dude from his Miami Heat days. Jr can't even do the 1 thing that his father was great at - dribble.

Oh and he has a trade kicker, which makes it even harder to trade him. He is unmovable for the next 2 years, and will block us from making any big name signings (probably a moot point since we wouldn't anyway).
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,211

Post#4 » by BBALLER4FR » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:55 am

DaGawd wrote:He would absolutely need to become prime Kobe not be Tim Hardaway Jr. for his contract to not look like a mistake.

Fear not. I fixed that :D
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 44,612

Post#5 » by DaGawd » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:03 am

Augusto61 wrote:people act like this dude was mistake, but he has a nice jumpshot and is son of mr. hardaway. maybe next year he can breakout and be our kobe. next to our shaq, mr. porzingis. arent we underrating him? he can do everything from defense to 3pt shooting. all we need is one more breakout kid.

Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,809

Post#6 » by Fat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:02 am

He's 6th man material on a serious team and a decent starter for a team with less expectations
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#7 » by Dantares » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:19 am

not really. but hopefully the salary cap goes up so when his inevitable move to 6th man comes he might be just slightly over paid instead of extremely over paid.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,851

Post#8 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:44 am

wow this thread is terrible.
Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Post#9 » by Cookies4Life » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:26 am

That was one of the dumbest moves the FO has done in the past 5 years- and that's saying a lot.

How does a team speak openly about wanting to rebuild and not skip any steps in the "process" while offering this guy north of 15 million per year? His own team (ATL) supposedly wasn't going to offer anything north of 12 mil per year (around 4 yrs/48 million,) and the FO decided hey let's out bid ourselves for a mediocre player.

Same thing with NOah-- I can't imagine any team was contemplating offering him anything north of 10 million per year and we give him over 16 million a year. That one was by far and away the worst contract of the last 5 years.

I've seen him play since he was a rookie- I think this idea that Coach Bud made him a well rounded player was all hyperbolic because I see a guy that gives minimal effort defensively and offensively he's the streakiest player this team has had since JR Smith. His shot selection is horrific and he really believes he's an alpha type of scorer when in reality he's nothing more than a high volume shooting, inefficient role player who doesn't do much else.

Below average passer, below average rebounder, average shooter, poor defensive player. His game has not changed at all since departing the first time around. Just because someone is 25 doesn't mean they have room to improve nor does it mean we need to overpay for them. Id rather have seen all of his minutes spread between Frank and Dotson.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,565

Post#10 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:27 am

I have hope

Spoiler:
I hope he's traded
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#11 » by Triple C » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:56 am

I think this forum hates him more than he should be hated. I mean is it a good contract? No, at times he's a dumb player who likes to shoot everytimes he has the ball? Yes, but I remember very good stretch of basketball from him, people were chaning their mind before the injury, when he was shooting well and attacking more the basket. He's not only a serviceable guy, but can be actually good, so comparing him to Noah is a complete disrespect tbh. We'll se how he does with Fizdale, probably highs and lows as usual, but I can live with that, and I can live if he's traded, he's not the cancer of the team or this borderline superstar, you could do better with his cap space, but If next year can stay more healthy and put more effort on the defensive end his contract will look better, and I repeat I think it looked already better last year.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,003

Post#12 » by Nazrmohamed » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:50 am

Triple C wrote:I think this forum hates him more than he should be hated. I mean is it a good contract? No, at times he's a dumb player who likes to shoot everytimes he has the ball? Yes, but I remember very good stretch of basketball from him, people were chaning their mind before the injury, when he was shooting well and attacking more the basket. He's not only a serviceable guy, but can be actually good, so comparing him to Noah is a complete disrespect tbh. We'll se how he does with Fizdale, probably highs and lows as usual, but I can live with that, and I can live if he's traded, he's not the cancer of the team or this borderline superstar, you could do better with his cap space, but If next year can stay more healthy and put more effort on the defensive end his contract will look better, and I repeat I think it looked already better last year.

I agree. He's definitely overpaid but in my opinion by about 3mil per year. Over 4-5 years that's ALOT of money but it's not what's killing this team. I feel allot worse about Baker and Thomas's contracts than Hardaways.
People say he is useless when he's not scoring, thats fine but dudes almost air
always scoring. He had an atrocious 10 game slump coming outta injury but just about every time around that he was a consistent player. Percentages could definitely be better but I mean, you can check the box.....Tims getting you 17.

People gotta understand, if he did everything you asked he'd be a 25 plus mil player. He's getting paid mid tier money and I think he is a mix tier player.
Lastly, and maybe cuz I'm so used to bad contracts but were always paying for known talent, injured or past thier prime. I'm fine paying for rising youth. I'm not saying Tim isn't overpaid, but it's just not as aggregious to me as our twice per generation Noah.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,565

Post#13 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:35 pm

Triple C wrote:I think this forum hates him more than he should be hated. I mean is it a good contract? No, at times he's a dumb player who likes to shoot everytimes he has the ball? Yes, but I remember very good stretch of basketball from him, people were chaning their mind before the injury, when he was shooting well and attacking more the basket. He's not only a serviceable guy, but can be actually good, so comparing him to Noah is a complete disrespect tbh. We'll se how he does with Fizdale, probably highs and lows as usual, but I can live with that, and I can live if he's traded, he's not the cancer of the team or this borderline superstar, you could do better with his cap space, but If next year can stay more healthy and put more effort on the defensive end his contract will look better, and I repeat I think it looked already better last year.

THJr is fine
THJr's contract is fine

The timing of THJr's contract sucks beyond belief
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#14 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Never wanted him back. The only hope is he gets traded.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,430

Post#15 » by DOT » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:55 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:

THJr is fine
THJr's contract is fine

The timing of THJr's contract sucks beyond belief

This, mostly

Tim being paid 17 million isn't totally off base, he's probably worth somewhere around 14 million, so we did overpay, but that's what you have to do to get an RFA

So, in a vacuum, it's okay. But since we're rebuilding, having a player in his prime on an actual contract isn't good
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#16 » by camillepd » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Hardaway will be an all star next year!!!!
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#17 » by MaseInYourFace » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:58 pm

His stats overall were pretty decent but he's never going to live up to that contract in the eyes of most fans. That's just the way it is.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,974

Post#18 » by Fat Kat » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:03 pm

I have hope but very little confidence. Let's see what Fizzy can do with him. I do think that slotting him at the SF position is a huge mistake though. Timmy's ideal fit is a sixth man like Eric Gordon, Lou Williams and JR Smith.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#19 » by Greenie » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:07 pm

No.
When the biggest supporter you had on this board turns on you Timmy...
FlashFlood
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#20 » by FlashFlood » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:32 pm

He's a good player. When the Knicks signed him, I'm pretty sure he already reached close to his full potential. A limited minutes microwave type of player that needs to be put on a short leash. I dont think anyone really expected him to be more than what he was in Atlanta.

He's the kind of guy that looks good in a system, since he can come in and effect a game with quick bursts of scoring or a few hustle plays. The thing is he can't be counted on to make great decisions with the ball, and he will absolutely chuck you out of games when he's cold. He's not an all-world shooter like his father.

Short answer, no - i don't have hope in Hardaway significantly improving for the duration of his career.

Return to New York Knicks