ImageImageImageImageImage

do you still have hope in hardaway jr?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Icandoallthings
Senior
And1: 337

Re: do you still have hope in hardaway jr? 

Post#41 » by Icandoallthings » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:53 pm

Nah never did I always thought of him a sixth man type.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#42 » by Ignitowsky » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:13 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
ctorres wrote:I have hope. I still think he can be an all-star

He just needs to bump his 3pt shooting percentage up to 36%.

His 2pt fg and ft percentages look okay to me, but it wouldn't hurt to bump those up slightly.

He needs a good system and a good pg to thrive We had none of that last year. Hopefully Fiz can provide at least a decent system that will get him better looks. Horny had no idea how to use Hardaway. Never got him on the move and never created spot up opportunities for him. He should be getting dribble handoffs constantly at the elbow. He's really good off those.

THjr is a MUCH better when playing for a coach that demands that he plays within the structure of the team offense and defense. Fisher and Horn were disasters on both ends of the floor, and Tim's play was a reflection of that. He was a much better player under Bud in Atlanta and under Beilein in Michigan. I believethat Fiz will have a positive effect on him.

Forget about his contract. It is what it is, and hating the kid for the money he's going to be paid to me makes no sense.

The kid will never be an all star, but I think he can be at least an average starting sg. That's all we need him to be. His salary is irrelevant under he's about to sign his next contract.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#43 » by nedleeds » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:35 pm

No. Chucker.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,445

Post#44 » by robillionaire » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:53 pm

I think he could be a pretty solid 6th man. A great one even.
Floozenheimen
Pro Prospect
And1: 677

Post#45 » by Floozenheimen » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:05 pm

He's a **** chucker with mediocre defense, piss poor rebounding and zero ability to create for others. He's a fringe NBA player at this point with a big name.
CoolKids
RealGM
And1: 2,648

Post#46 » by CoolKids » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:32 pm

basketboule wrote:wow this thread is terrible.

Just like thj
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Post#47 » by Jonathan starks » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:06 pm

His problem is in between the ears. If he could figure out how to be a better shooter from 3, he’d be a very good player
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#48 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:38 pm

Jonathan starks wrote:His problem is in between the ears. If he could figure out how to be a better shooter from 3, he’d be a very good player

A lot of that is shot selection but, even that is not completely his fault. Need a real creator on offense to improve his percentages.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#49 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:16 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Absolutely not. I called this move, an over-aggressive initiative taken by front office man, Steve Mills BEFORE he even hired a GM, Scott Perry...bringing to question, what the hell did Perry see that no one else did to give him $17M per season after having watched a guy whose BEST season was starting just 30 out of 79 games/season.

I can't tell you how many KNUCKLEHEADS jumped all over me for pointing that out.

Now, as Tim's first season as a Knick he only lasted 57 games, 54 as a starter. That is only five, count 'em FIVE more games played than Kristaps Porzingis' season cut short by an ACL injury.

But you Knick knuckleheads who RIDE Porzingis harder than Sasha Gray rides a bag of dicks scream, "OH HE'S INJURY PRONE!!!!"

Listen, Tim Hardaway Jr is NOT A full-time starter. NEVER WAS. NEVER WILL BE.

YOURS for SEVENTEEN MILLION, PLUS $18.3M...and wait for it....WAIT FOR IT...almost NINETEEN MILLION in his final season. He'll be off the books by the time Trump is out of office (assuming he loses the re-election).

Congrats, you have an overpaid guy who is a nice 6th man on a team like the Sixers and a 7th or 8th man on the Celtics.

He does what Mills paid him to do, KEEP the Knicks from tanking so they'll constantly draft 9th-12th.

Newsflash. Mills IS the GM.

Wait, you say. Mills is POBO.

I think as fans, it's interesting to acknowledge something here. The Knicks know they needed another person in the FO to fill a role, to be be "Mills" to Mills, as Mills was to Phil. But Phil RAN THE TEAM AS POBO. He had the final say. He was the defacto GM in terms of whose "imprint" on the team it was and Phil who retained the final say.

We are get upset about "how could Mills sign guys when there wasn't a GM?!?!!?!!?!". That's easy. Mills IS the GM. Forget the titles. This is Mills team. Perry is around to help. Mills makes the final decisions. Just like it was with Phil.

Come on. Mills is an ambitious dude. He's been waiting his whole life to run a team and get credit. He's the GM. He has "the power of Phil". He didn't fire Phil so he could hand over 75% of his responsibility.

The hope is that Perry curbs some bad instincts of Mills. But it's silly to think the team is anyone's but Mills.

However, Steve Mills thanks everyone who thinks Perry is nearly primarily responsible, because that makes it easy for Mills to blame any messes he makes on him. And trust me, all the final calls on trades and drafts come from Mills.

I'm sure this has been covered, but it's funny to the degree it creeps in that Perry might be running things. Um, no.

false. mills has been POBO before. and POHO... and POBO... and POBO. this is his second tour of duty with MSG.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#50 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
ctorres wrote:I have hope. I still think he can be an all-star

He just needs to bump his 3pt shooting percentage up to 36%.

His 2pt fg and ft percentages look okay to me, but it wouldn't hurt to bump those up slightly.

He needs a good system and a good pg to thrive We had none of that last year. Hopefully Fiz can provide at least a decent system that will get him better looks. Horny had no idea how to use Hardaway. Never got him on the move and never created spot up opportunities for him. He should be getting dribble handoffs constantly at the elbow. He's really good off those.

fiz loves those
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Post#51 » by Jonathan starks » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:19 pm

Knicks_Fan2 wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:His problem is in between the ears. If he could figure out how to be a better shooter from 3, he’d be a very good player

A lot of that is shot selection but, even that is not completely his fault. Need a real creator on offense to improve his percentages.

I think the bad shot selection label is way overblown. He has good vision and typically makes the right play. Sometimes he does take bad shots, but I don’t think the label as a chucker is fair. Next year, hopefully his percentages go up and ppl will get off his back for the shot selection thing.
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,303

Post#52 » by Oscirus » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:49 pm

LOL nope. I also have little to no hope for the Knicks future as long as Mills is in an important role in terms of players who come here. But that's another story.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,889

Post#53 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:02 pm

I actually do have a lot of hope for him fulfilling his contract. I think for most of the season he was given way too much responsibility. With Frank being as raw as he was last season and Jack being ancient THJR was our only guy that could really get into the paint. Plus once KP was down he was thrust into the number 1 option that really hurt his numbers on the year.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#54 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Again, Hardaway Jr only played 5 more games than Porzingis. What pressure? He was injured almost half the season.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,346

Post#55 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:05 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Absolutely not. I called this move, an over-aggressive initiative taken by front office man, Steve Mills BEFORE he even hired a GM, Scott Perry...bringing to question, what the hell did Perry see that no one else did to give him $17M per season after having watched a guy whose BEST season was starting just 30 out of 79 games/season.

I can't tell you how many KNUCKLEHEADS jumped all over me for pointing that out.

Now, as Tim's first season as a Knick he only lasted 57 games, 54 as a starter. That is only five, count 'em FIVE more games played than Kristaps Porzingis' season cut short by an ACL injury.

But you Knick knuckleheads who RIDE Porzingis harder than Sasha Gray rides a bag of dicks scream, "OH HE'S INJURY PRONE!!!!"

Listen, Tim Hardaway Jr is NOT A full-time starter. NEVER WAS. NEVER WILL BE.

YOURS for SEVENTEEN MILLION, PLUS $18.3M...and wait for it....WAIT FOR IT...almost NINETEEN MILLION in his final season. He'll be off the books by the time Trump is out of office (assuming he loses the re-election).

Congrats, you have an overpaid guy who is a nice 6th man on a team like the Sixers and a 7th or 8th man on the Celtics.

He does what Mills paid him to do, KEEP the Knicks from tanking so they'll constantly draft 9th-12th.

I think as fans, it's interesting to acknowledge something here. The Knicks know they needed another person in the FO to fill a role, to be be "Mills" to Mills, as Mills was to Phil. But Phil RAN THE TEAM AS POBO. He had the final say. He was the defacto GM in terms of whose "imprint" on the team it was and Phil who retained the final say.

We are get upset about "how could Mills sign guys when there wasn't a GM?!?!!?!!?!". That's easy. Mills IS the GM. Forget the titles. This is Mills team. Perry is around to help. Mills makes the final decisions. Just like it was with Phil.

Come on. Mills is an ambitious dude. He's been waiting his whole life to run a team and get credit. He's the GM. He has "the power of Phil". He didn't fire Phil so he could hand over 75% of his responsibility.

The hope is that Perry curbs some bad instincts of Mills. But it's silly to think the team is anyone's but Mills.

However, Steve Mills thanks everyone who thinks Perry is nearly primarily responsible, because that makes it easy for Mills to blame any messes he makes on him. And trust me, all the final calls on trades and drafts come from Mills.

I'm sure this has been covered, but it's funny to the degree it creeps in that Perry might be running things. Um, no.

false. mills has been POBO before. and POHO... and POBO... and POBO. this is his second tour of duty with MSG.

So, you think he gets Phil fired so he can let Perry run the show? I doubt it.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#56 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:29 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

So, you think he gets Phil fired so he can let Perry run the show? I doubt it.

i think it's easy for us fans to frame the dynamics of their working relationship as we wish.

i don't purport to know what either are doing or how they work together. i also don't assume steve mills "gets phil fired."
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,007

Post#57 » by god shammgod » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:42 pm

the god janis got phil fired. everyone knows that.

and mills is ultimately in charge. that's not even debatable....is it ? they are always together seemingly so i imagine there's a healthy give and take but if he really wants his way, he'll get it.
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#58 » by mugzi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:23 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Again, Hardaway Jr only played 5 more games than Porzingis. What pressure? He was injured almost half the season.

Hate to break it to you but youre stuck with Trump til 24, there's no one derailing this train even if Obama could run again. :lol:
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#59 » by mugzi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:24 am

Oscirus wrote:LOL nope. I also have little to no hope for the Knicks future as long as Mills is in an important role in terms of players who come here. But that's another story.

Sad to say I agree. The best anyone could hope for with THJ is that he plays 70 games this season with decent shooting percentages & average about 17 points per game maybe he can be trade bait in another year or two
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#60 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:27 am

But hardaway was a Mills move pre Perry. It does seem like they have some kind of internal checks and balances going on there. For some reason don't think Perry would have wanted hardaway at that price. It would be interesting how that deal would have went down had Perry been here already.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,

Return to New York Knicks