ImageImageImageImageImage

Is there truly any logical explanation for Kanter to opt out?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Re: Is there truly any logical explanation for Kanter to opt out? 

Post#41 » by PeoplesChamp » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:54 pm

The only way he opts out is if he gets a longer term deal. And the Knicks would be stupid to do that at almost any number.

He's going to opt in. We just have to take our medicine.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Re: RE: Re: Is there truly any logical explanation for Kanter to opt out? 

Post#42 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:01 pm

GONYK wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:The ONLY reason why Enes Kanter would opt-out is if he was sure he'd get a spot playing for the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, or some top 4 contending Western Conference team. Otherwise, he is NOT turning down $18M because he's not sniffing that anywhere else but in New York.

Let's re-visit that Melo trade:

1. Enes Kanter: Didn't really make that much of an impact. The Knicks had 2 more in the loss column (than the previous season). Sure, injuries can factor into it but the Knicks were never really in it after the first 2 months of the season.

2. Doug McDermott: Gone to Dallas.

3. Second round Pick: Ding!

Can the Knicks win this otherwise, unremarkable trade by hitting draft gold in the second round? We'll see if Perry has "Vegas Gold Knights" magic.

Doug McBuckets became Mudiay so technically that's still a moving piece... If Muddy reports in actual NBA shape he could be our Oladipo.

as per OP: Though Kanter is a starting C, there is little need for a team to sign him to anything in the ball park of reasonable. More likely is that he signs an extension with the Knicks so that the Knicks can look for a FA wing or guard to pair with a traded-for wing/guard using some combo of Noah, 2018 1st, 2019 1st, muddy, Frank as trade bait. IE Kyrie signing in 2019 and us trading for Jimmy Butler.

Why would the Knicks want Kanter long term? Why would they choose to gut their assets instead of just letting him walk?

Not really what I want, but what I think will happen sadly... I think the ownership/GM likes Kanter and see him/KP as the future front court. Kanter may offer to take a smaller salary ie 4 years 48M because he knows that we need some ability to get better and he could live where he wants. Again, I would rather have flexibility. I just Perry/Mills doing 3 years 45M 3rd year PO.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#43 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:07 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:The ONLY reason why Enes Kanter would opt-out is if he was sure he'd get a spot playing for the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, or some top 4 contending Western Conference team. Otherwise, he is NOT turning down $18M because he's not sniffing that anywhere else but in New York.

Let's re-visit that Melo trade:

1. Enes Kanter: Didn't really make that much of an impact. The Knicks had 2 more in the loss column (than the previous season). Sure, injuries can factor into it but the Knicks were never really in it after the first 2 months of the season.

2. Doug McDermott: Gone to Dallas.

3. Second round Pick: Ding!

Can the Knicks win this otherwise, unremarkable trade by hitting draft gold in the second round? We'll see if Perry has "Vegas Gold Knights" magic.

Doug McBuckets became Mudiay so technically that's still a moving piece... If Muddy reports in actual NBA shape he could be our Oladipo.

as per OP: Though Kanter is a starting C, there is little need for a team to sign him to anything in the ball park of reasonable. More likely is that he signs an extension with the Knicks so that the Knicks can look for a FA wing or guard to pair with a traded-for wing/guard using some combo of Noah, 2018 1st, 2019 1st, muddy, Frank as trade bait. IE Kyrie signing in 2019 and us trading for Jimmy Butler.

You lost me when you mentioned Mudiay and Oladipo in the same sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

The problem with Oladipo (one of them) was his level of physical fitness. Mudiay is also an out of shape player. Dipo was a bad contract 365 days ago. Can Mudiay get in shape and change his prognosis like WHG?
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,694

Post#44 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:34 pm

nykballa2k4 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:

The problem with Oladipo (one of them) was his level of physical fitness. Mudiay is also an out of shape player. Dipo was a bad contract 365 days ago. Can Mudiay get in shape and change his prognosis like WHG?

Mudiay can't shoot. That shot is broken.
Free Palestine
nykballa2k4
RealGM

Post#45 » by nykballa2k4 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:37 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Mudiay can't shoot. That shot is broken.

Jump shots are different when your legs are working. His shot wasn't bad pre-draft (wasn't good, but it wasn't Ball-bad).
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,889

Post#46 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:53 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:
Ignitowsky wrote:If Kanter can get a 4 year 40-44 million a year deal I think he'd have to be a moron not to take it. 18 million this year or the very long-term security of 44. That's a lot of money. Also, I don't think you hire a new agent to sit with the same contract. I'm sure his agent will encourage him to get a new contract because then he gets paid as well.

This the center position is becoming obsolete. By this time next off season his strengths could be even more undervalued. That's not even taking into consideration a down statistical/injury plagued season.

And if you're a center that doesn't block shots you're skill set is becoming more obsolete.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#47 » by seren » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:01 pm

His market is pretty thin. Unless we already decided to do something really stupid (like promise an extension), he should opt in.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,000

Post#48 » by god shammgod » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:41 pm

here's that explanation you were looking for

Read on Twitter

A few days before his father was indicted by the Turkish government, Enes Kanter hosted the Enes Kanter Camp organized by NYC Basketball Kids and Playbook in New York City over the weekend. He took a few minutes to answer some questions from ESPN.com. Here, Kanter reiterates that he'd still prefer a long-term contract as opposed to a one-year deal. He has until June 29 to decide on his 2018-19 player option, worth $18.6 million. "Obviously, I want to be here. It's just that I would feel better and feel more secure and feel more comfortable if I signed (a contract for) multiple, two or three whatever, years," Kanter said Saturday. "Think about it. Next year, if you get hurt, then what? I know you can't worry about it but it's always in the back of your head like, ‘Man, if I get hurt, what's going to happen?'"
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Post#49 » by j4remi » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:05 pm

Wiggins and Crawford opted out for no logical reason either...let's just cross our fingers.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,000

Post#50 » by god shammgod » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:09 pm

j4remi wrote:Wiggins and Crawford opted out for no logical reason either...let's just cross our fingers.

i always thought he would for the exact reason he stated, but the landscape doesn't look great for him. which makes me think if he does it the knicks decided to re-up with him for multiple years. :banghead:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,501

Post#51 » by j4remi » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:20 pm

god shammgod wrote:
j4remi wrote:Wiggins and Crawford opted out for no logical reason either...let's just cross our fingers.

i always thought he would for the exact reason he stated, but the landscape doesn't look great for him. which makes me think if he does it the knicks decided to re-up with him for multiple years. :banghead:

That's the type of thing that I'll have a nightmare about. Just the ESPN ticker going by with Knicks sign Kanter to 4 year deal scrolling across and I wake in a cold sweat scrambling to check my phone and make sure it isn't real.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
bigboss31
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#52 » by bigboss31 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:06 am

Jeff Van Gully wrote:and the moment kanter opts in his name becomes "expiring contract."

If he opts in, which I hope he doesn't, this is the positive I'm seeing.

It'd be nice if the Knicks could work something with a team like the Nuggets, who are looking to cut salary (although I think they're doing it this year, not next).
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,346

Post#53 » by Phish Tank » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:35 am

Read on Twitter

Return to New York Knicks