ImageImageImageImageImage

Pick 36: Knicks Draft Mitchell Robinson - Pg 97-8 - Block Ness Monster catching on

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

CharlesOakley
Veteran
And1: 2,486

Re: Pick 36: Knicks Draft Mitchell Robinson - Shootin' 3s on Pg 68 :o 

Post#1661 » by CharlesOakley » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:31 am

2010 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:That's so crazy that all it took was a guy going "don't do THAT" and Mitch stopped fouling.

...cuz he is not dumb, despite the narrative.

Just like KP is not as smart as they portray, despite the narrative.

KP kinda stupid actually. You WANT to spend the bulk of your career playing next to a big like Mitch. He literally does all your dirty work which saves your energy and extends your career. But #thatego

You already know but I am directing this at others.

I couldn't agree more. Mitch has shown an insane ability to learn on the fly. He is clearly a smart kid with a speech impediment. KP should have seen Mitch and been licking his lips. Instead, he was worried about Kanter's playing time. He speaks well, but I don't think he gets what winning in New York is like. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of tanking.
Context
RealGM
And1: 12,261

Post#1662 » by Context » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:50 am

Tron Carter wrote:
2010 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:That's so crazy that all it took was a guy going "don't do THAT" and Mitch stopped fouling.

KP kinda stupid actually. You WANT to spend the bulk of your career playing next to a big like Mitch. He literally does all your dirty work which saves your energy and extends your career. But #thatego

cuban gonna try and pair him with vucivec to complete his white euro utpoia. watch.

LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Context
RealGM
And1: 12,261

Post#1663 » by Context » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:53 am

CharlesOakley wrote:
2010 wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Mitch has shown an insane ability to learn on the fly. He is clearly a smart kid with a speech impediment. KP should have seen Mitch and been licking his lips. Instead, he was worried about Kanter's playing time. He speaks well, but I don't think he gets what winning in New York is like. He doesn't seem to understand the concept of tanking.

Im starting to think that KP's priorities go in this order:
1. Securing his extension before his legs fall off.
2. Pushing his head further up his arse.
3. Making Janis happy.
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Milk
Rookie
And1: 2,326

Post#1664 » by Milk » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:45 am

NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#1665 » by NYKAL » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:24 pm

2010 wrote:

or, it just would have allowed him to continue to be lazy on the other end when it comes to rebounding. If he wasn't so poor at it or, adverse to playing near the rim, Kanters role might not have grown so large.
Cookies4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,411

Post#1666 » by Cookies4Life » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:28 pm

This kid is going to be a monster sooner than later. He has to bulk up just a little bit year by year, he definitely has the shoulders on him that lead me to believe he can put some proper weight on.

He also has to work on his stamina and overall conditioning but I think a good part of that is he wasn't playing team ball last year. His defensive potential makes losing KP tolerable; he actually looks like he can be a more dominant defender than kristaps. He's already shown to be a better man defender and he's exponentially better than KP is at defending the perimeter. What really stands out with Money Mitch is his motor, something KP never showed during his time here.

Sky really is the limit with him, I just hope they start to draw some plays for him in pick and pop situations. Videos I've seen of him during his HS days shows he actually has a good touch on his jumper.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,953

Post#1667 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:28 pm

looks like a switch has been flipped. kid should have a very interesting rest of the rookie season, barring injury.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#1668 » by denterprise » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:39 pm

He is extremely coach-able and teach-able. I would love to see our other young players develop and progress as quickly as Mitch. As fans we just need to sit back and enjoy his development rather than try and put a ceiling on him or compare him to someone else. He is going to be special in his own way.
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#1669 » by NYKAL » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:48 pm

I see a lot of comparisons with Camby but, looking at his frame and shoulders, once he bulks up, he'll have a physicality that Camby could only wish for. I think he'll be more like Dwight Howard than Camby.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,259

Post#1670 » by DOT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:12 pm

NYKAL wrote:I see a lot of comparisons with Camby but, looking at his frame and shoulders, once he bulks up, he'll have a physicality that Camby could only wish for. I think he'll be more like Dwight Howard than Camby.

His per36 numbers are pretty similar to Dwight's rookie year. Notable difference being he shoots like 15% better from the field and has double the blocks per

I think Camby is a realistic ceiling (or a DJ/Chandler type based on FG% and offensive ability), but Dwight is the extreme best case scenario. Prime Dwight was a monster, 3 DPOY in a row, arguably should've won MVP over Rose in 2011. I doubt Mitch gets to that level, but his growth curve based on where he was at the start of summer league to now has been insane. Maybe he goes through a Giannis like body transformation over the next 5 years, it'll be really fun to watch if we don't trade him
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#1671 » by NYKHardKnock » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:19 pm

I went from thinking Mitchell will be a steal and in comp to DJ.

Fiz said he’s a sponge and absorbs everything. He went from being a shy kid, not quite articulate during media sessions to pretty outspoken and he’ll get even more comfortable. For someone who didn’t play college ball, actually no competitve basketball for a year, you never see athletes get better during the season, usually it’s after a few off season. His ability to absorb everything the SECOND Jordan got here, he’s developing right before our eyes. His ability to absorb, train, and improve alone makes believe he won’t just be DeAndre Jordan (which is DPY pot), but he can be similar to Orlando Dwight Howard.

YOU DO NOT TRADE HIM FOR NADA. I feel like a proud father lmao love this kid
NYKAL
General Manager

Post#1672 » by NYKAL » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:20 pm

K-DOT wrote:
NYKAL wrote:I see a lot of comparisons with Camby but, looking at his frame and shoulders, once he bulks up, he'll have a physicality that Camby could only wish for. I think he'll be more like Dwight Howard than Camby.

His per36 numbers are pretty similar to Dwight's rookie year. Notable difference being he shoots like 15% better from the field and has double the blocks per

I think Camby is a realistic ceiling (or a DJ/Chandler type based on FG% and offensive ability), but Dwight is the extreme best case scenario. Prime Dwight was a monster, 3 DPOY in a row, arguably should've won MVP over Rose in 2011. I doubt Mitch gets to that level, but his growth curve based on where he was at the start of summer league to now has been insane. Maybe he goes through a Giannis like body transformation over the next 5 years, it'll be really fun to watch if we don't trade him

I was thinking more of body type that actual ability but, I fully agree with your post
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,434

Post#1673 » by RHODEY » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:57 pm

2010 wrote:

Yep he and and bro and dumb i cant wait till he plays that first game in the garden. The roof will come of the building if Mitch blocks one his shots.
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#1674 » by NYKHardKnock » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:59 pm

RHODEY wrote:
2010 wrote:

Yep he and and bro and dumb i cant wait till he plays that first game in the garden. The roof will come of the building when Mitch blocks one his shots.
When, it’s when.
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#1675 » by RHODEY » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:00 pm

NYKAL wrote:
K-DOT wrote:

I was thinking more of body type that actual ability but, I fully agree with your post

Similar but Mitch has broad ass shoulders. He can be stronger/bigger ultimately IMO.
NYKnicksFTW
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#1676 » by NYKnicksFTW » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:04 pm

I can't be the only one who thinks he looks like Squidward

Anyone want to make me a better avatar of Squidward with Money Mitch's head...or vice-versa?
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,320

Post#1677 » by Hes_On_Fire » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:12 pm

This will be a big offseason for Mitch. He needs to add muscle and work on his timing on defense so he stops picking up dumb fouls. He can work on the offensive game in the future but this offseason should be about getting stronger and playing smarter in order to be able to stay on the court and impact the game.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#1678 » by RHODEY » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:32 pm

Hes_On_Fire wrote:This will be a big offseason for Mitch. He needs to add muscle and work on his timing on defense so he stops picking up dumb fouls. He can work on the offensive game in the future but this offseason should be about getting stronger and playing smarter in order to be able to stay on the court and impact the game.

The number of dumb fouls has drastically reduced lately. The commentator last night mentioned s Mitch's ability to block with his off hand is a big factor with that. We are making overall comparisons, but on the defensive side of things I think his ceiling equal to the greats. Im not moving this kid....period.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,084

Post#1679 » by blueNorange » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20 pm

do you want mitch to bulk up? seems like him being 220 is a reason why he covers so much ground laterally.

i just don't want his greatest strength to go away.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,915

Post#1680 » by god shammgod » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:25 pm

blueNorange wrote:do you want mitch to bulk up? seems like him being 220 is a reason why he covers so much ground laterally.

i just don't want his greatest strength to go away.

he's talked about this himself and seems to know his speed is his advantage and doesn't want to bulk up. i'm sure he'll get a little bigger tho.

Return to New York Knicks