ImageImageImageImageImage

2018-2019 College/Draft Thread (part 1)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

RealGM
And1: 39,218

Re: 2018-2019 College/Draft Thread (part 1) 

Post#801 » by 2010 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:01 pm

Illightinati wrote:
2010 wrote:I keep telling you all and I am dead serious about it. But I think Keldon Johnson is gonna enter that conversation right along with Barrett, Romeo, Cam and Little for best wings. He can hang with them. He just needs to be allowed to do his thing at Kentucky but their prospects don't always show what they're fully capable of in coach Cal's system.

Keldon can score from every level plus he has a post game. He can shoot the 3 and he is sneaky athletic. But above all, what intrigues me most about him is his intensity level and the dog in him. He has that Westbrook/Kobe/Sexton factor mentally. I think this kid is gonna be a steal.

He is very physical too and doesn't back down from anyone. He has had to earn everything he's been given in this game, being a late-bloomer. I am sure the Knicks will scout him heavily since they are well connected with Kentucky.

He gives me more athletic Paul Pierce x Bonzi Wells (with 3pt range) vibes.

I'll defiantly keep my eyes on the kid this season, Hard to evaluate Romeo, Grimes, Johnson, Zion, Reddish, and RJ especially without the season starting...

But the talent levels seems to be synonymous with the last two draft classes, They've made the NBA fun to watch

Whose the purest shooter outta this draft bunch?

Best shooter with lottery potential is Tyler Herro. Best shooter out of the bolded above is Romeo Langford.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
RealGM

Post#802 » by 2010 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:07 pm

FatboyRealPetty wrote:
2010 wrote:
FatboyRealPetty wrote:None of them appear as true playmakers the closes ones and probably Grimes and cam and both are more shot creator first playmaking second type of players which Is still fine because that is pretty much the wave of today’s basketball

If your the knicks cam reddish is a no brainer pick if available. He fits the bill of “no position basketball” and probably the closes thing the knicks would ever get to obtaining a player that can be actually be a threat with the ball in his hand as a shot maker/playmaker something none our point guards seem to know how to do not even at a decent level

RJ is a better playmaker and decision-maker than Cam. And Romeo is a better pure scorer than Cam.

I think R.J. has a good feel for the game and is simply a smart player in general who will make the correct passes I don’t know if he”s exactly a better playmaker. Cams Been playing the point guard role since high school and has the better guard like Tendencies. He surveys the floor very well, extremely successful and patient in pick and roll situations can thread the needle with either hand and a tough cover because you have to respect his range, if you over play him he”s driving to either find a teammate or attack the basket.

I like R.J.”s potential too as a playmaker though I think he’s currently the #1 pick in this draft if he starts hitting the jumper consistently it’ll open up his whole game even further

Once the games start you'll see that Cam is a bit overrated as a point forward because he tends to make poor decisions. His decision-making skills are erratic and he turns the ball over a lot. RJ has the higher BBIQ and is smarter off the court as well. In addition to being erratic as a point forward, Cam isn't ass savvy as RJ off the court.

I definitely rate RJ above Cam as a guy who can run an offense. In the beginning I admit I slept on RJ's vision, and playmaking hard. But I am now a big fan of that element of his game. As for my evaluation of Cam, I don't expect y'all to agree with me now but in time you'll see he is not best suited as a point forward. He can do it sure, cuz he is skilled...but it isn't where his bread should be buttered. Cam needs to be developed as a scoring wing. The adjustment needs to be made with him acquiring more of a killer instinct and alpha mentality.

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#803 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:43 pm

2010 wrote:
Illightinati wrote:
2010 wrote:I keep telling you all and I am dead serious about it. But I think Keldon Johnson is gonna enter that conversation right along with Barrett, Romeo, Cam and Little for best wings. He can hang with them. He just needs to be allowed to do his thing at Kentucky but their prospects don't always show what they're fully capable of in coach Cal's system.

Keldon can score from every level plus he has a post game. He can shoot the 3 and he is sneaky athletic. But above all, what intrigues me most about him is his intensity level and the dog in him. He has that Westbrook/Kobe/Sexton factor mentally. I think this kid is gonna be a steal.

He is very physical too and doesn't back down from anyone. He has had to earn everything he's been given in this game, being a late-bloomer. I am sure the Knicks will scout him heavily since they are well connected with Kentucky.

I'll defiantly keep my eyes on the kid this season, Hard to evaluate Romeo, Grimes, Johnson, Zion, Reddish, and RJ especially without the season starting...

But the talent levels seems to be synonymous with the last two draft classes, They've made the NBA fun to watch

Best shooter with lottery potential is Tyler Herro. Best shooter out of the bolded above is Romeo Langford.

I have Grimes as a better shooter than Romeo.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#804 » by IllmaticHandler » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:48 pm

After Drafting Knox we need an A Type personality. Knicks need some fire and passion, and RJ has that in spades. Cam is very close to Knox in personality.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,918

Post#805 » by cgf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:56 pm

2010 wrote:
Illightinati wrote:

Was about to go off about calling Romeo a better shooter than Nas, then realized Little wasn't listed :lol:

That said Romeo over Grimes?
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,132

Post#806 » by Capn'O » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Illightinati wrote:

Whose the purest shooter outta this draft bunch ?

Right?! These last few drafts have been off the chain!

I wonder if and when it ends.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#807 » by Fat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:02 pm

2010 wrote:
FatboyRealPetty wrote:
2010 wrote:
RJ is a better playmaker and decision-maker than Cam. And Romeo is a better pure scorer than Cam.

I think R.J. has a good feel for the game and is simply a smart player in general who will make the correct passes I don’t know if he”s exactly a better playmaker. Cams Been playing the point guard role since high school and has the better guard like Tendencies. He surveys the floor very well, extremely successful and patient in pick and roll situations can thread the needle with either hand and a tough cover because you have to respect his range, if you over play him he”s driving to either find a teammate or attack the basket.

I like R.J.”s potential too as a playmaker though I think he’s currently the #1 pick in this draft if he starts hitting the jumper consistently it’ll open up his whole game even further

Once the games start you'll see that Cam is a bit overrated as a point forward because he tends to make poor decisions. His decision-making skills are erratic and he turns the ball over a lot. RJ has the higher BBIQ and is smarter off the court as well. In addition to being erratic as a point forward, Cam isn't ass savvy as RJ off the court.

I definitely rate RJ above Cam as a guy who can run an offense. In the beginning I admit I slept on RJ's vision, and playmaking hard. But I am now a big fan of that element of his game. As for my evaluation of Cam, I don't expect y'all to agree with me now but in time you'll see he is not best suited as a point forward. He can do it sure, cuz he is skilled...but it isn't where his bread should be buttered. Cam needs to be developed as a scoring wing. The adjustment needs to be made with him acquiring more of a killer instinct and alpha mentality.

I don’t see him as a true point forward though he’s a shot maker first playmaker 2nd I just feel he has the best playmaking capability out of any of the other wings in the draft he”s not perfect and definitely needs to fix some of his decision making but his versatility and skill set is far more than just a scoring wing. It’ll be interesting to see how cal runs the offense once cam gets fully healthy.

I still have R.J. and Zion ranked 1 and 2 and cam ranked 3.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#808 » by magnumt » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:04 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/251484/Jontay-Porter-Out-For-Season-With-Torn-ACL-MCL

The Porters need more milk or a better family Trainer! Like seriously! :nonono:

Hope for speedy and full recovery. :(

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Fat
RealGM

Post#809 » by Fat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:11 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Illightinati wrote:

This draft doesn’t seem that great outside of the obvious guys expected to go early
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
RealGM

Post#810 » by 2010 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:14 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
2010 wrote:
Illightinati wrote:

I have Grimes as a better shooter than Romeo.

I haven't looked at Grimes as much as the top-5 wing guys + Johnson (cuz I initially didn't think the Knicks would go after another combo guard type) but I'll keep an eye out on him and look at some stats and video of him.

I'll start looking at him now since it appears that the Knicks aren't developing Frank as a point guard so they may go with another PG/combo guard, where as before I didn't think that route would be realistic.

RealGM

Post#811 » by 2010 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:15 pm

cgf wrote:
2010 wrote:
Illightinati wrote:

Was about to go off about calling Romeo a better shooter than Nas, then realized Little wasn't listed :lol:

See my response to KT above.

RealGM

Post#812 » by 2010 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:18 pm

FatboyRealPetty wrote:
2010 wrote:
FatboyRealPetty wrote:

I don’t see him as a true point forward though he’s a shot maker first playmaker 2nd I just feel he has the best playmaking capability out of any of the other wings in the draft he”s not perfect and definitely needs to fix some of his decision making but his versatility and skill set is far more than just a scoring wing. It’ll be interesting to see how cal runs the offense once cam gets fully healthy.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Fat
RealGM

Post#813 » by Fat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:22 pm

2010 wrote:
FatboyRealPetty wrote:
2010 wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Lmao I steady get k and cal mixed up.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Fat
RealGM

Post#814 » by Fat » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:27 pm

GRimes style of play is a nice fit with ntilkina and the team in general. Idk if he’s better than the wings in the draft though I think we’ll take another one despite just drafting Knox especially if we end up with a top 5 pick
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
cgf
RealGM

Post#815 » by cgf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Everyone needs to keep sleeping on Little so he can fall to us at 4 when the NBA decides to hook us up in the lottery, despite us screwing up the tank.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

cgf
RealGM

Post#816 » by cgf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:34 pm

FatboyRealPetty wrote:GRimes style of play is a nice fit with ntilkina and the team in general. Idk if he’s better than the wings in the draft though I think we’ll take another one despite just drafting Knox especially if we end up with a top 5 pick

This is why the dream scenario is getting the 1st OA pick so we can trade back for both Little & Grimes 8-)

RealGM

Post#817 » by 2010 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:35 pm

FatboyRealPetty wrote:GRimes style of play is a nice fit with ntilkina and the team in general. Idk if he’s better than the wings in the draft though I think we’ll take another one despite just drafting Knox especially if we end up with a top 5 pick

Yeah, not sure Grimes has the upside of the consensus top-5 wing options.

Illightinati
Senior
And1: 454

Post#818 » by Illightinati » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:36 pm

cgf wrote:
2010 wrote:
Illightinati wrote:

Forgot to add Littles, gotta watch some tape
Didn't know he was a shooter :o

Defiantly need to see this college season before I talk anymore about this draft
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,132

Post#819 » by Capn'O » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:39 pm

FatboyRealPetty wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Illightinati wrote:

This draft doesn’t seem that great outside of the obvious guys expected to go early

I dunno. That's what they said last year too. The quality of the draft escalated as the year progressed.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
cgf
RealGM

Post#820 » by cgf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:47 pm

Illightinati wrote:
cgf wrote:
2010 wrote:

Forgot to add Littles, gotta watch some tape
Didn't know he was a shooter :o

Defiantly need to see this college season before I talk anymore about this draft

He's not just a shooter, he's the best shooter of the big 4! The kid already has good technique on his stroke, with a sky-high release point, and he's comfortable firing away off the dribble all of the way out past the 3pt-line.

It's hard not to be fascinated by the Dukies, but Nas is the one who's game I just can't help but love most. :lol:

Return to New York Knicks