ImageImageImageImageImage

2018-2019 College/Draft Thread (part 1)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

RealGM
And1: 39,071

Re: 2018-2019 College/Draft Thread (part 1) 

Post#821 » by 2010 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:48 pm

cgf wrote:
Illightinati wrote:
cgf wrote:
Was about to go off about calling Romeo a better shooter than Nas, then realized Little wasn't listed :lol:

That said Romeo over Grimes?

Forgot to add Littles, gotta watch some tape
Didn't know he was a shooter :o

Defiantly need to see this college season before I talk anymore about this draft

He's not just a shooter, he's the best shooter of the big 4! The kid already has good technique on his stroke, with a sky-high release point, and he's comfortable firing away off the dribble all of the way out past the 3pt-line.

It's hard not to be fascinated by the Dukies, but Nas is the one who's game I just can't help but love most. :lol:

Nas is good but for the Knicks I just think we need a wing with more facilitation ability. That's not Little's strong suit. Wouldn't you agree?

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Illightinati
Senior
And1: 454

Post#822 » by Illightinati » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:09 pm

2010 wrote:
cgf wrote:
Illightinati wrote:

Defiantly need to see this college season before I talk anymore about this draft

He's not just a shooter, he's the best shooter of the big 4! The kid already has good technique on his stroke, with a sky-high release point, and he's comfortable firing away off the dribble all of the way out past the 3pt-line.

It's hard not to be fascinated by the Dukies, but Nas is the one who's game I just can't help but love most. :lol:

Nas is good but for the Knicks I just think we need a wing with more facilitation ability. That's not Little's strong suit. Wouldn't you agree?

It seems each top 10 pick has some pros and cons in regards to the Knicks roster... RJ seems to be best fit in play-making, star presence, and improving shooter
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,496

Post#823 » by cgf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:15 pm

2010 wrote:
cgf wrote:
Illightinati wrote:

Yeah, that it ain't...or if it is, he hasn't shown it to anyone yet lol...but whether that's an issue or not kinda depends on what happens in FA, no?

Like Frank & Knox have the potential to do perfectly well as secondary facilitators if we land a primary ballhandler; Similarly, THJ isn't a bad secondary facilitator when he's got a star on the court to defer to. And it's not like Nas is a blackhole who kills ball movement, he just isn't a playmaker.

So if the FO knows come draft time that they're getting a KD, Kyrie or even Kemba in FA; then I've got no gripes with Little's lack of playmaking. If, on the other hand, we're going to strike out in FA; then even my love for Nas wouldn't change that you're probably right and the playmaking potential of one of the Dukies would give our young core something that it currently lacks too much to ignore.

But a lot also depends on how Fiz envisions the offense working down the line. I.e. if he's picturing 3-4 guys who push the ball up the court at every opportunity, with 3 of them capable of running some things in halfcourt sets, without a single "primary playmaker" dominating the ball, then that's different than if he wants a new-Conley to be his avatar on the court.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#824 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:22 pm

Illightinati wrote:
2010 wrote:
cgf wrote:

It seems each top 10 pick has some pros and cons in regards to the Knicks roster... RJ seems to be best fit in play-making, star presence, and improving shooter

He shot like 25% or something like that from three during the preseason tour. I don't think it's fair to say he is an improving shooter based on what we saw from the preseason tapes. The season is what matters, so we will see.

As for Little - I think his form (of Cam, RJ, and Nas) has the best chance of translating in terms of shot versatility. His issue is his lower body when he shoots, as his feet are often angling to the sideline instead of squaring up. From the waist up, there are no issues with his form.

Read on Twitter

- I had another 20 clips or so in there, but I can't find them. IIRC, my Twitter thread got **** up, I got angry, and stopped. Here were a few clips I had. Watch the feet.

https://streamable.com/akjfm
RealGM

Post#825 » by 2010 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:26 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Illightinati wrote:
2010 wrote:

He shot like 25% or something like that from three during the preseason tour. I don't think it's fair to say he is an improving shooter based on what we saw from the preseason tapes. The season is what matters, so we will see.

As for Little - I think his form (of Cam, RJ, and Nas) has the best chance of translating in terms of shot versatility. His issue is his lower body when he shoots, as his feet are often angling to the sideline instead of squaring up. From the waist up, there are no issues with his form.

Have you gotten a chance to breakdown Romeo's form and shot mechanics yet? If so, see any flaws?

cgf
RealGM

Post#826 » by cgf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:29 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Illightinati wrote:
2010 wrote:

Is that footwork typically hard to clean up? I'd imagine getting a kid to square his feet up would be among the easier things to fix in a young shooter.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#827 » by fatalogic » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:34 pm

Just give me the best combination of shooting and passing at the wing spot please.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#828 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:36 pm

2010 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Illightinati wrote:

Have you gotten a chance to breakdown Romeo's form and shot mechanics yet? If so, see any flaws?

Few things
- Major wrist action in hs shot. Like, it gets cocked all the way back and looks a bit unnatural (which is why it doesn't always look smooth).
- Inconsistent release. He also doesn't always fully extend on his shot, which is why the results are inconsistent. Sometimes he releases with elbow still bent, othertimes it's extended (more often than not it's extended, so that's definitely a good thing). The half bent thing is an issue because it creates varying release points - this is why Sekou's shot is all over the place, in addition to the absurdly high arc on his shot.
- It looks like he "thumbs" the ball and uses way too much of his off hand.
- Slow release / load up.

I don't want to make it seem like he's a crap shooter, because he's not. He's inconsistent and has form tweaks to make, but these things can be worked on for the most part (the release I think is here to stay though, which is why I don't see much variability in his shooting ability off ball - I think he'll draw fouls off dribble because he does a nice job drawing and exaggerating contact, but he'll mainly be a catch and shoot guy and not someone you can run off screens).
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#829 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:38 pm

cgf wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Illightinati wrote:

Is that footwork typically hard to clean up? I'd imagine getting a kid to square his feet up would be among the easier things to fix in a young shooter.

Relatively speaking, it's WAY easier than anything else. I love Nas' release from waist up and when he's lined up, or at least half where his right foot is aligned with the rim, the percentages appear to be better (from just watching film - unfortunately Synergy doesn't go that in depth...yet? lol).
Illightinati
Senior
And1: 454

Post#830 » by Illightinati » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Illightinati wrote:
2010 wrote:

Read on Twitter

- I had another 20 clips or so in there, but I can't find them. IIRC, my Twitter thread got **** up, I got angry, and stopped. Here were a few clips I had. Watch the feet.

Always Appreciate your Breakdowns

I just watched the highlights and saw him knocking down threes, so i thought he was improving

You have any thoughts on who the best fit NY ?
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#831 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:29 pm

Illightinati wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Illightinati wrote:

Read on Twitter

I just watched the highlights and saw him knocking down threes, so i thought he was improving

Thanks, dude - means a lot.

I have Zion as my #1 on my big board and Little as 1b. Cam and RJ are fighting for 3rd, depends on the day (I worry about Cam's shot consistency and his fading in and out, but I worry about RJ's shot and being a bit too ball dominant at times, which is odd because he's a good passer).

Zion fits the best IMO, especially considering KP's weaknesses and wanting to maximize his strengths (rim protection). I think RJ's demeanor "fits" better than Cam, so he's ahead there. Nas isn't some beta either/someone who fades, so I have Nas with the edge over Cam and RJ too given his defensive and athletic prowess. Cam has the most intrigue maybe because of his all around skill, but the demeanor...is that really a fit? I'm not sure - that's why I wanted him to go to a school where he could be THE guy and not just a cog in the machine. Him having to bring it every night as the #1 option would have been very telling.

Basically it's the same as my big board, but with Zion having the lead as the best fit.
cgf
RealGM

Post#832 » by cgf » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Pairing Zion & KP would be tough to argue against. They’re both so insanely unique and yet almost perfect foils for one another.

RealGM

Post#833 » by 2010 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:23 pm

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#834 » by DOT » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:28 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Spoiler:
Illightinati wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Read on Twitter

I have Zion as my #1 on my big board and Little as 1b. Cam and RJ are fighting for 3rd, depends on the day (I worry about Cam's shot consistency and his fading in and out, but I worry about RJ's shot and being a bit too ball dominant at times, which is odd because he's a good passer).

Zion fits the best IMO, especially considering KP's weaknesses and wanting to maximize his strengths (rim protection). I think RJ's demeanor "fits" better than Cam, so he's ahead there. Nas isn't some beta either/someone who fades, so I have Nas with the edge over Cam and RJ too given his defensive and athletic prowess. Cam has the most intrigue maybe because of his all around skill, but the demeanor...is that really a fit? I'm not sure - that's why I wanted him to go to a school where he could be THE guy and not just a cog in the machine. Him having to bring it every night as the #1 option would have been very telling.

Basically it's the same as my big board, but with Zion having the lead as the best fit.

What do you think about Ja Morant?

I just get the feeling we're committing to having Frank be a wing, so we might overdraft a PG if we're picking more towards 10th
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#835 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:48 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Spoiler:
Illightinati wrote:

What do you think about Ja Morant?

I just get the feeling we're committing to having Frank be a wing, so we might overdraft a PG if we're picking more towards 10th

I'd rather go with Grimes, Garland (meh?), and Hunter. I think Morant is fine, but he screams backup PG to me. Potential wise, Grimes reminds me of a better playmaking Jamal Murray, Garland as a better Teague, and Hunter has some serious 2-way potential (in some ways reminds me of Kawhi at the same stage).

If PG, I have Garland above Morant and Grimes as a combo above Morant.

Read on Twitter
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#836 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:22 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Illightinati wrote:
2010 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Just to add onto RJ's shot. It is really slow right now and from what I've heard it has been very off during practices. My buddy told me Zion has been hitting at a higher percentage on his jumper than RJ (RJ takes a lot more).

So ya I would have to agree with questioning the"improving shooter" thing as well.
RealGM

Post#837 » by 2010 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:27 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:
Illightinati wrote:

Read on Twitter

Just to add onto RJ's shot. It is really slow right now and from what I've heard it has been very off during practices. My buddy told me Zion has been hitting at a higher percentage on his jumper than RJ (RJ takes a lot more).

So ya I would have to agree with questioning the"improving shooter" thing as well.

So Zion still rated as 1st on your big board. Then RJ, then Reddish?

NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#838 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:36 pm

2010 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
He’s a Duke homer. :lol: Should have Garland and Shittu above all, Vandy fan aside obviously...
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#839 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:37 pm

2010 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

Read on Twitter

1. Zion
2. Cam (heard nothing but praise on his jumper)
3. Little
4. RJ

I've never been that high on RJ even with trying to force myself into liking him. The lack of jumper and lack of wiggle concerns me. I still think Cam is the best player when he puts the effort in though.
RealGM

Post#840 » by 2010 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:40 pm

Knickstape1214 wrote:
2010 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Spoiler:
He’s a Duke homer. :lol: Should have Garland and **** above all, Vandy fan aside obviously...

:lol:

Which is why I was impressed when you put "(meh?)" next to Garland in your earlier PG ratings.

Return to New York Knicks