ImageImageImageImageImage

HezonGOD to New York 1 year/6.5 mil

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Re: HezonGOD to New York 1 year/6.5 mil 

Post#761 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jul 3, 2018 9:16 pm

SOUL wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:I'm pretty excited about Mario

I think Orl is notorious for developing their high draft picks poorly

Gordon or Vucavic might be their only successes since shaq

Olidipo, Harris, Fourner, and now both Bysmak and Isaac.

I think Mario is ready to play for a long term NBA situation

Bismack? He played 5 seasons before coming to us.. that's just a horrible contract. And Isaac was injured for 60 games but looked really good defensively in some games.

But yes, Mario definitely suffered from lack of development and opportunity. Most of it from hiring coaches that wanted to skip steps in development and a front office that were too scared to implement any sort of say in any of it.

well Bismack played better elsewhere as do most players who play in Orl
either better before the come or after they leave

so its a bit of a stain, fair or not
Illightinati
Senior
And1: 454

Post#762 » by Illightinati » Tue Jul 3, 2018 9:22 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
SOUL wrote:

Bismack? He played 5 seasons before coming to us.. that's just a horrible contract. And Isaac was injured for 60 games but looked really good defensively in some games.

But yes, Mario definitely suffered from lack of development and opportunity. Most of it from hiring coaches that wanted to skip steps in development and a front office that were too scared to implement any sort of say in any of it.

well Bismack played better elsewhere as do most players who play in Orl
either better before the come or after they leave

so its a bit of a stain, fair or not

Good, Next The Knicks could get Bamba on a cheap deal after being underdeveloped.
Newyorknick94
Head Coach
And1: 2,518

Post#763 » by Newyorknick94 » Tue Jul 3, 2018 9:29 pm

SOUL wrote:

But yes, Mario definitely suffered from lack of development and opportunity. Most of it from hiring coaches that wanted to skip steps in development and a front office that were too scared to implement any sort of say in any of it

Y’all forgot about Dwight Howard lol
Legends BAT
G - Penny Hardaway/Mike Bibby
G - Gilbert Arenas / Monta Ellis
F - Julius Erving/John Starks
F - Chris bosh/Danny Granger
C - Dikembe Mutombo
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#764 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jul 3, 2018 9:42 pm

Newyorknick94 wrote:
SOUL wrote:

But yes, Mario definitely suffered from lack of development and opportunity. Most of it from hiring coaches that wanted to skip steps in development and a front office that were too scared to implement any sort of say in any of it

fair enough

Howard is the reverse

he's been a shell of himself since leaving the Magic
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,308

Post#765 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue Jul 3, 2018 10:14 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
GONYK wrote:
I'm not crazy enthusiastic about an injury prone Kyrie and a 35 yr old (in Thibs years) Butler.

I'd have to see the price tag though before really making a decision.

They will both want the MAX.

yep

but Kyrie plus Butler plus KP is a superteam level thing IMO

I can't disagree too much. In a perfect world....Frank takes a huge leap by next year. Knox proves to have NBA starting level potential. Mitchell becomes a beast. Etc etc. Most important would be Kyrie staying healthy for the duration of his contract. I don't trust it. Butler is 29. We're gonna max him out? 4 years of Thibs grinding his body into dust? Always has issues on every team?

I don't know how the cap works with KP needing a max soon and all of that. I just feel like we would taking too big a risk on Kyrie. One that scares the poop out of me. Amar'e 2.0. I am so not down with that.

I just want to see what we have this year. Trade ZERO 1st rd picks until it's a move that puts a title within our grasp. Like say...KD/Butler...which I can't see happening.

It just feels like such a Knicks gonna Knick moment. Finally start rebuilding. After 2 years(1 wasted) we start trading away picks and Signing injured players to MAX deals and cap ourselves out for 4 years. Spinning our wheels again because we have too much dead money...traded away picks...treadmill team...dudes don't pan out(like Shumpert/Fields/etc).

Kyrie scares me that much.
:beer: RIP mags
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#766 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jul 3, 2018 10:42 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
They will both want the MAX.

yep

but Kyrie plus Butler plus KP is a superteam level thing IMO

I can't disagree too much. In a perfect world....Frank takes a huge leap by next year. Knox proves to have NBA starting level potential. Mitchell becomes a beast. Etc etc. Most important would be Kyrie staying healthy for the duration of his contract. I don't trust it. Butler is 29. We're gonna max him out? 4 years of Thibs grinding his body into dust? Always has issues on every team?

I don't know how the cap works with KP needing a max soon and all of that. I just feel like we would taking too big a risk on Kyrie. One that scares the poop out of me. Amar'e 2.0. I am so not down with that.

I just want to see what we have this year. Trade ZERO 1st rd picks until it's a move that puts a title within our grasp. Like say...KD/Butler...which I can't see happening.

It just feels like such a Knicks gonna Knick moment. Finally start rebuilding. After 2 years(1 wasted) we start trading away picks and Signing injured players to MAX deals and cap ourselves out for 4 years. Spinning our wheels again because we have too much dead money...traded away picks...treadmill team...dudes don't pan out(like Shumpert/Fields/etc).

Kyrie scares me that much.

me too

but the better options dont seem realistic

I still like Cousins and KP together but I dont see that working either
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#767 » by TheBigBoss » Wed Jul 4, 2018 12:05 am

Newyorknick94 wrote:
SOUL wrote:

One could argue that they didn't do a good job of developing him either.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,306

Post#768 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 4, 2018 12:52 am

AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#769 » by AllanHoustonFan » Wed Jul 4, 2018 12:59 am

thebuzzardman wrote:

Daaaaamn, I forgot how bad that team was

Afflac? Grant? Thomas?

:-?
#MKGA
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,548

Post#770 » by SOUL » Wed Jul 4, 2018 1:00 am

TheBigBoss wrote:One could argue that they didn't do a good job of developing him either.

Go on... :lol:
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#771 » by fatalogic » Wed Jul 4, 2018 1:03 am

AllanHoustonFan wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Daaaaamn, I forgot how bad that team was

Afflac? Grant? Thomas?

:-?

Lets hope he can keep his ability to light up MSG when he plays here full time.
SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,077

Post#772 » by SARGO127 » Wed Jul 4, 2018 1:35 am

What # will he wear?
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,057

Post#773 » by stuporman » Wed Jul 4, 2018 4:20 am

He probably will take 8 if Beas don't return.....that was one of them he wore in Europe, right?
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,032

Post#774 » by Capn'O » Wed Jul 4, 2018 4:43 am

SOUL wrote:
TheBigBoss wrote:One could argue that they didn't do a good job of developing him either.

Go on... :lol:

Soul, I'm worried about the man in my sig. You know which one. Talk me off of this ledge.

Spoiler:
But if I see a nefarious trade offer I will see right through it :wink:
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#775 » by Dantares » Wed Jul 4, 2018 4:47 am

I hope Mario is like Gary payton. Payton was full of himself and super cocky like mario. Payton got his butt whipped when he first came into the league like mario did his first two years, but GP kept working hard and became a great player. I want Mario to keep that supreme confidence and swagger.
"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

Sanvi
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#776 » by Sanvi » Wed Jul 4, 2018 11:37 am

WOW! This New York Knicks forum is stacked with topics and users! How can people even keep up with all the new posts? :lol:

I'm "new" here. Normally not a poster; I did post one or two things about Mario during his Orlando tenure, though.

Just my two cents on Mario and this new step in his career:

Ever since Hezonja got some real attention, the year before he got drafted, I got interested in him and intrigued by him. I like persons who are "different" or whatever. You know, dapping opposing coaches right after making a three pointer, saying Messi should come see him instead of the other way around (that was just an innocent joke, btw), the highlight real dunks...

So yeah, I got very interested in him and therefore, ever since game 1 of his first season with Orlando, I've watched almost every game he played in.
That, to be honest, were three long years full of mismanagement of players, useless veteran players getting playing time over younger players, fired coaches and so on, and so on.

Now, about Mario:

Yeah, he was extremely inconsistent during his three years. Everybody knows that. But was that his fault? Partly. Maybe. I mean, in those three years he got/had to play 4 different positions, for different coaches, and always with older, mostly useless veterans getting playing time ahead of him. Ow, and he constantly got put in the doghouse by his coaches, having the shortest leash of every player on the team.

But, during all these troublesome years, he definitively got to show his skillset quite some times. Especially during his rookie years and certainly during last season (only after half of the Magic got injured btw, but anyway).

During his second season he was playing despite being injured (why, nobody knows). His stats certainly showed that. Also the "eye test" showed he was certainly less mobile, less powerful than during his rookie year and during last year.

But in his first and in his recent year, he showed some real skills and potential, no matter how inconsistent he is. He still makes stupid decisions and mistakes sometimes, but in the last months of last season he certainly inproved a lot on his ball handling skills and made a lot less mistakes and turnovers than before.

Now, finally fully healthy, he is what he should have been and what he could have been: a very talented player with a beautiful shot, great passing skills and vision (too bad sometimes his teammates couldn't keep up with his vision and passing, resulting in weird turnovers), great physical tools and faster than he appears at first. Good rebounding skills as well.

I like him; i like him VERY much. Despite his inconsistency and his stupid mistakes he made (he improved a lot in year 3). He has the total package for me and has every tool to become a very good, useful player in this league.
Besides, he has a good dose of confidence and swagger (NOT too be confused with arrogance by the way).

Some people may think Mario is or was a selfish player, but instead it is exactly the other way around: although he certainly likes to showcase his skills sometimes, he is a VERY unselfish player, always looking for his teammates, showing his passing skills and vision and finding teammates in sometimes the most unpossible ways.

I have a lot of faith in him, and he certainly will succeed in this league. Besides, he is good friends with KP if I'm not mistaken.

I'm glad he is finally on a different team now, he really needed a change of scenery.

Good luck Mario! Good luck, Knicks!
Sanvi
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#777 » by Sanvi » Wed Jul 4, 2018 2:27 pm

King- wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:Has he had injuries? I recall when he was drafted that his athleticism was rated pretty high.

No injuries, only shattered confidence, however, he gained it back last season, particularly when he started and had freedom without having to worry about getting benched.

He's very bouncy and runs the floor extremely well. His ball handling has also improved tremendously. Dunk at 25 seconds shows his athleticism

Hi there!

I liked your earlier post about Mario, which pretty much summed up Mario's career at the Magic in a nutshell.

Short leash - doghouse - DNP's - garbage time - selfish veterans playing instead of him (Simmons, Fournier, Jason Smith (!), Jeff Green...shiiiit).

But about this second post of yours:
He was injured during his second season, right? He told so himself, I believe during the third season. I was wondering why he didn't tell so last season, but that partly explains why he looked way less mobile and powerful last year.

This year, he looked his normal self, highly athletic and quite mobile and fast. Together with his confidence, this should become a great season for him. :D

BTW: The dunk against Milwauke you showed is still his best dunk ever; that was in his rookie season; dunking over Jabari Parker like it was nothing.

He had some highlight dunks this season as well, like the one against the Pacers where he posterized Miles Turner, and some other dunk when he dunked half over his opponent with his back to the basket.
El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,600

Post#778 » by El Poochio » Wed Jul 4, 2018 2:42 pm

Only took 1 day for this to become massive overpay as well Knicks Curse unreal

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
AllanHoustonFan
RealGM
And1: 6,966

Post#779 » by AllanHoustonFan » Wed Jul 4, 2018 2:54 pm

El Poochio wrote:Only took 1 day for this to become massive overpay as well Knicks Curse unreal

How is this an overpay when Dante Exum signed a 3yr/33M contract and has played like 2 games?
#MKGA
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,259

Post#780 » by TheGreenArrow » Wed Jul 4, 2018 3:05 pm

Please knicks for the love of god stay away from jimmy butler.

If we cant get kyrie or kd just roll over the cap space to the following year.

Stay away from the kembas and kloves of the world.

Dont get trapped into being mediocre.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to New York Knicks