ImageImageImageImageImage

HezonGOD to New York 1 year/6.5 mil

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,707

Re: HezonGOD to New York 1 year/6.5 mil 

Post#841 » by Knicksfan1992 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:07 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Nice scouting report from Magic announcer and former NBA and WNBA coach Ritchie Adubato.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/15/the-mario-hezonja-scouting-report-the-flashes-and-the-flaw/

Magic radio analyst Richie Adubato has a Croatian neighbor who gave him a language tip. After every Mario Hezonja 3-pointer, Adubato bellowed, “Gee La Vee, Mario!” on the air.

That’s a Croatian expression for “Bravo.’’ The phrase wasn’t uttered nearly enough during Hezonja’s failed three-year run in Orlando.

Adubato, whose coaching background includes helming the Mavericks, the Magic and the WNBA’s Liberty and Mystics — and stints as an NBA assistant coach for five teams, including the Knicks (1982-1986) — can’t say for certain about Hezonja’s future, but he is a fan of his talent.

“I bet on him turning the corner, but there’s never a guarantee,’’ Adubato told The Post during the Las Vegas summer league. “I’ve seen it go both ways and it’s mainly because of confidence. Can you keep the confidence? Coaches have a lot of say in building [players’] confidence up.’’

“He’s a European,” Adubato said. “They always take time adjusting to our level of play. People don’t realize — they average 18 a game, come in and it’s a big adjustment. He’s very talented, you see why they drafted him. Athletic. [He’s] 6-8, runs the floor well, nice-looking shot, range to shoot the 3. But he had to learn the NBA game. It’s so different. Nowadays, so many great athletes. A lot of times when you’re a star at another place and coming off the bench, it’s a new world for you.”

Until Kristaps Porzingis returns from ACL surgery, Hezonja is the favorite to start at power forward with rookie Kevin Knox at small forward. Hezonja finished last season averaging 9.6 points per game. His career scoring and rebounding averages are, respectively, 6.9 points and 2.8 rebounds in 18.4 minutes per game.

But the biggest concern is he’s always looked slow on defense.

“Defensively he needs some work,’’ Adubato said. “There’s no weakness in his game, except the defensive end. He has to work harder there and it will come, I believe.

“The lateral movement, I don’t see it as being a problem, but may have to work on it. But he’s an athlete. He has to do more drilling and understand how important it is. You play over in Europe and it’s all about offense over there. You average 10 points and play good defense, you won’t get noticed as much if you’re averaging 25 and not playing defense.”

Despite his inconsistency, Hezonja never heard any jeers. Adubato said Hezonja’s case reminded him of former Magic guard J.J. Redick, who took a few years before emerging.

“The fans were always hoping [Mario] was going to continue to develop and get better — never got booed,” Adubato said. “He thrilled them with his long jumpers and, in transition, he can really dunk. He was exciting.”

Lol this is so off-base. Mario wasn't a star in Europe. He came off the bench in Barcelona and played less than 20mpg. Also, even though the style of play may be slightly different in Europe it still has you way more prepared than playing against 18-22 year olds in the NCAA most of whom will not have a long-standing professional career.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#842 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:14 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:This signing has me convinced the Knicks are definitely going to cut their losses with Courtney Lee and maybe even Dotson if he doesn't play better during the Summer League tour.

man, Dude was so barely average in SL. When Trier is outshining you ...damn. Dude is below Baker imo. I had hopes he'd take a step after putting in the work this offseason. He doesn't look it but, his lack of athleticism, is an issue. He's not especially quick, his shot just don't fall and his defense isn't good enough to excuse his lack of offense. He needs to be sent down until he does more than resemble an NBA player. The One he looks like now sucks too....Shump.

He doesn't drive/finish particularly well. He seemed to be a good athlete in college but he hasn't flashed it much at NBA level. His offense is a bit one dimensional (shooting) right now and he's not doing that one dimension well enough to justify his spot.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,956

Post#843 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:35 pm

NYKAL wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:This signing has me convinced the Knicks are definitely going to cut their losses with Courtney Lee and maybe even Dotson if he doesn't play better during the Summer League tour.

man, Dude was so barely average in SL. When Trier is outshining you ...damn. Dude is below Baker imo. I had hopes he'd take a step after putting in the work this offseason. He doesn't look it but, his lack of athleticism, is an issue. He's not especially quick, his shot just don't fall and his defense isn't good enough to excuse his lack of offense. He needs to be sent down until he does more than resemble an NBA player. The One he looks like now sucks too....Shump.

damn.

at least dotson didn't come into the league with delusions of point guard grandeur.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,639

Post#844 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Knicksfan1992 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Nice scouting report from Magic announcer and former NBA and WNBA coach Ritchie Adubato.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/15/the-mario-hezonja-scouting-report-the-flashes-and-the-flaw/

Magic radio analyst Richie Adubato has a Croatian neighbor who gave him a language tip. After every Mario Hezonja 3-pointer, Adubato bellowed, “Gee La Vee, Mario!” on the air.

That’s a Croatian expression for “Bravo.’’ The phrase wasn’t uttered nearly enough during Hezonja’s failed three-year run in Orlando.

Adubato, whose coaching background includes helming the Mavericks, the Magic and the WNBA’s Liberty and Mystics — and stints as an NBA assistant coach for five teams, including the Knicks (1982-1986) — can’t say for certain about Hezonja’s future, but he is a fan of his talent.

“I bet on him turning the corner, but there’s never a guarantee,’’ Adubato told The Post during the Las Vegas summer league. “I’ve seen it go both ways and it’s mainly because of confidence. Can you keep the confidence? Coaches have a lot of say in building [players’] confidence up.’’

“He’s a European,” Adubato said. “They always take time adjusting to our level of play. People don’t realize — they average 18 a game, come in and it’s a big adjustment. He’s very talented, you see why they drafted him. Athletic. [He’s] 6-8, runs the floor well, nice-looking shot, range to shoot the 3. But he had to learn the NBA game. It’s so different. Nowadays, so many great athletes. A lot of times when you’re a star at another place and coming off the bench, it’s a new world for you.”

Until Kristaps Porzingis returns from ACL surgery, Hezonja is the favorite to start at power forward with rookie Kevin Knox at small forward. Hezonja finished last season averaging 9.6 points per game. His career scoring and rebounding averages are, respectively, 6.9 points and 2.8 rebounds in 18.4 minutes per game.

But the biggest concern is he’s always looked slow on defense.

“Defensively he needs some work,’’ Adubato said. “There’s no weakness in his game, except the defensive end. He has to work harder there and it will come, I believe.

“The lateral movement, I don’t see it as being a problem, but may have to work on it. But he’s an athlete. He has to do more drilling and understand how important it is. You play over in Europe and it’s all about offense over there. You average 10 points and play good defense, you won’t get noticed as much if you’re averaging 25 and not playing defense.”

Despite his inconsistency, Hezonja never heard any jeers. Adubato said Hezonja’s case reminded him of former Magic guard J.J. Redick, who took a few years before emerging.

“The fans were always hoping [Mario] was going to continue to develop and get better — never got booed,” Adubato said. “He thrilled them with his long jumpers and, in transition, he can really dunk. He was exciting.”

Lol this is so off-base. Mario wasn't a star in Europe. He came off the bench in Barcelona and played less than 20mpg. Also, even though the style of play may be slightly different in Europe it still has you way more prepared than playing against 18-22 year olds in the NCAA most of whom will not have a long-standing professional career.

He was a star in Europe. Just ask him.

What else is off-base?
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,639

Re: RE: Re: HezonGOD to New York 1 year/6.5 mil 

Post#845 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:26 pm

K-DOT wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:
K-DOT wrote:On defense?

Everyone

Nobody on the Knicks gives more effort then Kanter even on defense. His problem isn't effort, it's his instincts and BBIQ on defense but Kanter is all effort all the time. I know it's hard for you Kanter haters to admit this but the truth's the truth.
No, it's effort

You don't need iq to know to put your arms up to contest shots. Which he doesn't do

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

So this is really just about putting his arms up on defense? Seems like an easy fix.
Free Palestine
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,261

Post#846 » by DOT » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:29 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

Nobody on the Knicks gives more effort then Kanter even on defense. His problem isn't effort, it's his instincts and BBIQ on defense but Kanter is all effort all the time. I know it's hard for you Kanter haters to admit this but the truth's the truth.
No, it's effort

You don't need iq to know to put your arms up to contest shots. Which he doesn't do

So this is really just about putting his arms up on defense? Seems like an easy fix.

You'd think so, but apparently Kanter hasn't learned that in 8 years in the NBA
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,054

Post#847 » by stuporman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Mario, prepare your anus, it looks like fans are ready to rip it if you fail to live up to their expectations for a moment. :lol:
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#848 » by newyorker4ever » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:33 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
newyorker4ever wrote:

No, it's effort

Hahaha
Spree2Houston
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,857

Post#849 » by Spree2Houston » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:01 pm

I think Mario is going to surprise a lot of fans. He came on strong last year and will get ample playing time with KP out most of the year. He's going to look good next year. Hopefully he can resign for another year. This way we can get his early bird rights for 2020.
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,950

Post#850 » by BigShot Bojan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:37 am

Spree2Houston wrote:I think Mario is going to surprise a lot of fans. He came on strong last year and will get ample playing time with KP out most of the year. He's going to look good next year. Hopefully he can resign for another year. This way we can get his early bird rights for 2020.

Agreed..midseason people will be talking about how much it'll take to resign him..
Formerly Knicks85

Capn'O wrote:I wonder what Paul Reed's feelings are about metal bats.
BimboColes
Senior
And1: 359

Post#851 » by BimboColes » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:43 am

I think this guy really good in flashes last year. His shot is smooth like lotion and I think he could really turn a lot of heads this year. What do you guys think of “Smooth Lotion” as a nick name for him? Kind of catchy haha
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,276

Post#852 » by pepe1991 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:04 am

Hezonja is super talented, just needs to let game come to him. Magic kind a wasted him in second year under Vogel who played freaking Jeff Green over him despite zero chance at making playoffs.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,265

Post#853 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:10 am

stuporman wrote:Mario, prepare your anus, it looks like fans are ready to rip it if you fail to live up to their expectations for a moment. :lol:

Was that a warning or an offer?
ImageImageImage
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,154

Post#854 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:36 am

BimboColes wrote:I think this guy really good in flashes last year. His shot is smooth like lotion and I think he could really turn a lot of heads this year. What do you guys think of “Smooth Lotion” as a nick name for him? Kind of catchy haha

stuporman wrote:Mario, prepare your anus, it looks like fans are ready to rip it if you fail to live up to their expectations for a moment. :lol:

Looks like we have a winner folks
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#855 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:50 am

SOUL wrote:
Read on Twitter

Treat him well :(

Definitely one of the more jazzier Wojbombs in recent memory.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,920

Post#856 » by F N 11 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:38 am

My son got a clean slate. If he ball out we better get a discount lol.

I love his versatility to handle Along with Kevin. They can even set the pick for each other. Attack or pass to shooter.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,054

Post#857 » by stuporman » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:42 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:

Was that a warning or an offer?

Syntax, my man, learn it. :lol:
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,495

Post#858 » by j4remi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:07 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

His main problem to me is that he's more concerned with positioning himself to boxout and get the board than he is with actually challenging shooters at the rim. It means that his problem is more than just putting his arms up but being in the right place for his raised arms to actually influence the shooter. That issue is exacerbated by him having slow feet and shoddy awareness. All of that can be fixed but he hasn't shown much willingness to adjust there; hell, Hornacek had to bench him a few times last year just to get him to sprint back on defense instead of taking his own sweet time.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,956

Post#859 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:17 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

His main problem to me is that he's more concerned with positioning himself to boxout and get the board than he is with actually challenging shooters at the rim. It means that his problem is more than just putting his arms up but being in the right place for his raised arms to actually influence the shooter. That issue is exacerbated by him having slow feet and shoddy awareness. All of that can be fixed but he hasn't shown much willingness to adjust there; hell, Hornacek had to bench him a few times last year just to get him to sprint back on defense instead of taking his own sweet time.

remind you of anyone?

Spoiler:
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,495

Post#860 » by j4remi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:29 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
j4remi wrote:

remind you of anyone?

Spoiler:

Now that you mention it, the description fits really well both ways. I had a soft spot for Lee because we drafted him, he was our guy but no one could deny how bad he was on the defensive end.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo

Return to New York Knicks