ImageImageImageImageImage

[BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan'

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

[BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#1 » by magnumt » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:40 pm

LINK

Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' Long-Term Plan'
MIKE CHIARI

New York Knicks general manager Scott Perry wants superstar big man Kristaps Porzingis in the fold for the foreseeable future.

When asked about a potential contract extension Tuesday, Perry said the following, according to Marc Berman of the New York Post:

"We'll continue to stay in touch with Kristaps. He's part of our long-term plan. We'll figure out at the appropriate time in terms of when we get into that negotiation We're comfortable where we are with him, and we'll work together with his representation to figure something out."

If no extension is reached before next offseason, Porzingis can become a restricted free agent.

The 22-year-old Porzingis put up career-best numbers last season, but he was limited to just 48 games because of a torn left ACL.

Prior to being lost for the season, Porzingis averaged 22.7 points, 6.6 rebounds and 2.4 blocks per game en route to being named an All-Star for the first time.

Since the Knicks selected the 7'3" Latvian with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2015 draft, he has steadily developed into one of the NBA's best frontcourt players.

Even so, there are some question marks.

In addition to his health, Porzingis shot just 43.9 percent from the field last season, and his 6.6 rebounds per game represented a regression.

Porzingis is a big-time scorer and shot-blocker, though. He also shot 39.5 percent from three-point range last season, which makes him one of the best stretch bigs in the game.

The Knicks haven't reached the playoffs since 2012-13, and although they have added some talented players through the draft in recent years (Frank Ntilikina and Kevin Knox), there is no immediate end in sight to their drought.

Provided Porzingis heals well and the Knicks sign him to a long-term deal, however, the pieces may be in place for the Knicks to finally be players in the Eastern Conference in the coming years.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#2 » by Jonathan starks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 pm

I wouldn’t give him an extension. If he plays well coming back from the injury someone will offer him the max. Then I match if I’m comfortable will his health
selenium
Sophomore
And1: 79

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#3 » by selenium » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:53 pm

Jonathan starks wrote:I wouldn’t give him an extension. If he plays well coming back from the injury someone will offer him the max. Then I match if I’m comfortable will his health

you're saying that a guy whose 22,

a proven 2 way player every year
highly versatile
improve every year hitting 3s

shoudlnt get an extension???

Let me guess, you also wanted Trae Young/MPJ in the draft.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#4 » by Dr. Detfink » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:53 pm

The Knicks Front Office is renown for back stabbing and going back on their word. If the Knicks don't give KP an extension, it'll reaffirm every free agent that this is the same Knicks' Front office that can't be trusted.
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by Jonathan starks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:54 pm

selenium wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:I wouldn’t give him an extension. If he plays well coming back from the injury someone will offer him the max. Then I match if I’m comfortable will his health

highly versatile

Let me guess, you also wanted Trae Young in the draft.

What’s the point of giving him an extension if we can’t match any contract he signs?
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#6 » by Marty McFly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:55 pm

don't offer him that extension and if he plays well, i guarantee he takes the QO and bails on the knicks.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by Jonathan starks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:56 pm

Marty McFly wrote:

don't offer him that extension and if he plays well, i guarantee he takes the QO and bails on the knicks.

I highly doubt that
Marty McFly
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#8 » by Marty McFly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Jonathan starks wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:

I highly doubt that

then make yourself familiar with janis.
Guano wrote:Fourni3r forgetting he has Bob cousy handles

Woodsanity wrote:Imagine trusting a team with World B Flat on it without Lebron keeping him in check.
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 15,657

Post#9 » by Im Coming Home » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:01 pm

selenium wrote:

highly versatile

If you sign KP to an extension before the Summer, we can't use his bird rights to match a contract AFTER signing a big name FA because his new contract will have taken effect and be on the books iirc.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by Jonathan starks » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Marty McFly wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:don't offer him that extension and if he plays well, i guarantee he takes the QO and bails on the knicks.

I highly doubt that

then make yourself familiar with janis.

I don’t think his brother would be foolish enough to advise him on giving up on tens of millions of dollars
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,856

Post#11 » by KnicksGod » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:04 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
selenium wrote:

highly versatile

If you sign KP to an extension before the Summer, we can't use his bird rights to match a contract AFTER signing a big name FA because his new contract will have taken effect and be on the books iirc.

You can. He’ll have a sizable cap hold but not as big as his Max.
Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#12 » by Im Coming Home » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:05 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:
selenium wrote:

highly versatile

But does it get bigger than if he doesn't sign an extension? Because we already barely have enough cap room, so taking more away would hurt.

Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#13 » by Sark » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:10 pm

I would give him something similar to what Embiid got. A max deal with injury protection for the club.
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#14 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Sark wrote:I would give him something similar to what Embiid got. A max deal with injury protection for the club.

Exactly, anything else would be criminal
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#15 » by KnicksGod » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:17 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote: If you sign KP to an extension before the Summer, we can't use his bird rights to match a contract AFTER signing a big name FA because his new contract will have taken effect and be on the books iirc.

But does it get bigger than if he doesn't sign an extension? Because we already barely have enough cap room, so taking more away would hurt.

It only goes up if he signs for an actual amount. Then that’s the new cap hit. Otherwise it’s the cap hold until he’s signed or the team waived his rights.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#16 » by DowNY » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:17 pm

I mean, it's common sense that it's in the team's best interest to wait till next offseason. Worst case, he's restricted & we can still match.

The whole plan is to be able to sign a big free agent THEN sign KP to the extension. Idc about what timeline some here feels this team is on or should be on, it's been let out that we're going for a max cat next year some way. If we sign KP before we sign a free agent, our available cap shrinks to almost nothing. That doesn't make much sense. If we're gonna be over the cap regardless, the reason should be a legit reason. No time to be cute and just hand KP a new contract when there's more to prove, now including his health.

Wait it out and relax. Shouldn't be any issue. KP should even know that this is the plan now.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#17 » by cuyankees » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:20 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:
selenium wrote:

highly versatile

His cap hold alone makes it very tough for a max slot... Has been discussed in depth on here and ESPN and the like “experts”.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#18 » by KnicksGod » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:43 pm

cuyankees wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:
selenium wrote:

highly versatile

His cap hold alone makes it very tough for a max slot... Has been discussed in depth on here and ESPN and the like “experts”.

Yeah I haven’t done any math — I was just saying that KP’s actual Max won’t be the number the Knicks are limited by in that offseason.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#19 » by cuyankees » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:51 pm

KnicksGod wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote: If you sign KP to an extension before the Summer, we can't use his bird rights to match a contract AFTER signing a big name FA because his new contract will have taken effect and be on the books iirc.

Yeah I haven’t done any math — I was just saying that KP’s actual Max won’t be the number the Knicks are limited by in that offseason.

You're right, we must unload Lee and despite what many think, that isn't happening unless Knicks attach assets.
Im Coming Home
RealGM

Post#20 » by Im Coming Home » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:51 pm

cuyankees wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:
selenium wrote:

highly versatile

Oh, I thought we were super close to one max slot, and we'd have to shed Lee and stretch Noah for almost a 2nd? Guess I haven't been following enough.

Return to New York Knicks