ImageImageImageImageImage

[BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan'

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, King of Canada, mrpoetryNmotion, mpharris36, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, GONYK, K-DOT, NoLayupRule, Capn'O, Thugger HBC

Jeffrey
Analyst
Posts: 3,669
And1: 1,714
Joined: Aug 02, 2010
   

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#141 » by Jeffrey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:25 pm

Greenie wrote:
cgf wrote:
Greenie wrote:

No.

That’s once again putting pressure on players to do a front offices job for them.


Ok, how does that change the reality for KP that if he wants a max cat to join him he's gunna have to wait to sign his max deal until after that cat is signed?

...like many other NBAers have had to do...


Name them.
Dudes like KP get extensions. They don’t hit free agency.


Bingo. Greenie is right. No player with KP's talent has ever left for FA after their rookie contract. That's because team controls RFA and Bird Rights. And how many players are stupid enough to do that?
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 51,749
And1: 39,100
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: Let's stop and get a hot dog
 

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#142 » by Capn'O » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Greenie wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Greenie wrote:This whole plan stinks of 2010.

Pay KP. Fuq a max unless you can move the three stooges on our cap.


Yes. Pay KP. Then, I think you HAVE to imagine a scenario where you strike out in free agency and re-up the youngin's you have a cap hold on.

Exactly.

It’s what we should have done in 2010 but we got desperate and signed STAT instead of allowing Gallo and Chandler have run for at least a year.


Build around the core we have while working on moving Lee, Noah and Timmy.


Image
BAF Clippers
PG: SGA/Payton/Napier
SG: G. Harris/THT/Korkmaz
SF: Little/KCP/Dekker
PF: Isaac/M. Leonard/Vanderbilt/
C: Nurkic/M. Gasol/Holmes

RIP Mags :beer:
KnickFan33
Veteran
Posts: 2,622
And1: 1,314
Joined: Nov 08, 2006

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#143 » by KnickFan33 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
Image

KP is getting the max...

...



Let him secure it then.


It's best to give your young superstars early extensions. Letting them 'prove themselves' can create distrust. I think in KP's mind he's done more than enough to prove that he's a young player worthy of a max extension. And one of the jobs of the FO is too keep their star players happy, not alienate them.


For all we know management has made KP aware of the situation and he's fine with it. There's no point in jumping to conclusions either way.
cgf
RealGM
Posts: 14,074
And1: 2,018
Joined: Jul 01, 2008
Location: laser shield bitches

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#144 » by cgf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Greenie wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Greenie wrote:

He’s 7’3’’ coming off a knee injury. If he can’t play or he comes back looking worse his value goes down.

Boogie just took what?


Cousins is like 28 years old and had built a somewhat bad rep around the league for his character issues. There are plenty of teams that didn't want him even when he was healthy. Regardless of that though the Pelicans still offered him 40 million for 2 years after his injury and he declined.

Porzingis is 22 years old and even if he can't play or plays worse he's still going to get paid. Look at Zach Lavine, he still got his 80 million despite only playing in like 20 games and playing worse than his previous season in Minnesota.


80? That’s not ****.
KP is looking at 27+ per year.

Zach is not KP and KP is not Zach.

As a matter of fact if Zach was on our team I wouldn’t give a damn about him hitting FA.

I actually care about what goes down with KP and HOW we do it.


Exactly. Zach is a dumb dumb who isn't even half the player KP is and he still got almost 75% of what we can give KP, despite his injury. Porzi's getting paid the max next summer even he doesn't play a game this year.
dogrufus wrote:Plus the win would put us at .500 and 5 straight wins, making every poster here cream in their pants.

We're Knicks fans. We never get to cream.


cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.
cgf
RealGM
Posts: 14,074
And1: 2,018
Joined: Jul 01, 2008
Location: laser shield bitches

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#145 » by cgf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Jeffrey wrote:
Greenie wrote:
cgf wrote:
Ok, how does that change the reality for KP that if he wants a max cat to join him he's gunna have to wait to sign his max deal until after that cat is signed?

...like many other NBAers have had to do...


Name them.
Dudes like KP get extensions. They don’t hit free agency.


Bingo. Greenie is right. No player with KP's talent has ever left for FA after their rookie contract. That's because team controls RFA and Bird Rights. And how many players are stupid enough to do that?


None of us are expecting him to leave for FA, we're saying that if the knicks communicate with him he'll hold off on signing his max extension until after we've taken our shot at a Max cat in FA next summer...assuming Noah gets stretched if we can't swap Lee for expirings.

Porzi will still get his max deal from the knicks before next season starts, it's just that his cap hold is almost 10M less than his max deal would be once he actually signs it, so if he waits, that creates a nice chunk of extra cap space to use that summer.
dogrufus wrote:Plus the win would put us at .500 and 5 straight wins, making every poster here cream in their pants.

We're Knicks fans. We never get to cream.


cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 58,970
And1: 30,691
Joined: Feb 25, 2010

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#146 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
Image

KP is getting the max...

...



Let him secure it then.


It's best to give your young superstars early extensions. Letting them 'prove themselves' can create distrust. I think in KP's mind he's done more than enough to prove that he's a young player worthy of a max extension. And one of the jobs of the FO is too keep their star players happy, not alienate them.


You do understand that I’m saying just that, right?

If we’re keeping KP he shouldn’t have to wait. If you’re not(or not sure) then let him hit FA and make a decision from there.
...and if your not sure or don’t want him back then you should trade him.

By all accounts the Knicks want him here. So give that boy his money and stop lollygagging about it.
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 58,970
And1: 30,691
Joined: Feb 25, 2010

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#147 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:31 pm

cgf wrote:
Greenie wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Cousins is like 28 years old and had built a somewhat bad rep around the league for his character issues. There are plenty of teams that didn't want him even when he was healthy. Regardless of that though the Pelicans still offered him 40 million for 2 years after his injury and he declined.

Porzingis is 22 years old and even if he can't play or plays worse he's still going to get paid. Look at Zach Lavine, he still got his 80 million despite only playing in like 20 games and playing worse than his previous season in Minnesota.


80? That’s not ****.
KP is looking at 27+ per year.

Zach is not KP and KP is not Zach.

As a matter of fact if Zach was on our team I wouldn’t give a damn about him hitting FA.

I actually care about what goes down with KP and HOW we do it.


Exactly. Zach is a dumb dumb who isn't even half the player KP is and he still got almost 75% of what we can give KP, despite his injury. Porzi's getting paid the max next summer even he doesn't play a game this year.



How exactly is Zach dumb?
Jeffrey
Analyst
Posts: 3,669
And1: 1,714
Joined: Aug 02, 2010
   

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#148 » by Jeffrey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:32 pm

With KPs extension... that is a 100% given unless something out of a horror movie happens. There should be NO DEBATE about him getting less than a max contract. Max contract is not reserve for superstars only.

The timing of when gets his max contract matters for us to get 2 max players or close to it. The cap hold is VERY high but not close to his contract extension.

Noah will not be stretched until we get a guarantee that an FA is coming here for sure.
cgf
RealGM
Posts: 14,074
And1: 2,018
Joined: Jul 01, 2008
Location: laser shield bitches

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#149 » by cgf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:34 pm

Greenie wrote:
cgf wrote:
Greenie wrote:
80? That’s not ****.
KP is looking at 27+ per year.

Zach is not KP and KP is not Zach.

As a matter of fact if Zach was on our team I wouldn’t give a damn about him hitting FA.

I actually care about what goes down with KP and HOW we do it.


Exactly. Zach is a dumb dumb who isn't even half the player KP is and he still got almost 75% of what we can give KP, despite his injury. Porzi's getting paid the max next summer even he doesn't play a game this year.



How exactly is Zach dumb?


Lavine may not be dumb as a person. But on the court he plays a very selfish & low-efficiency game, like a dumb-dumb, which is why a lot of my friends (I live in chicago) were very conflicted about matching for him. He's still so young that they hope he'll improve, but guaranteeing him that cash before he's actually started to "figure it out" is a risk that makes some of them uncomfortable.
dogrufus wrote:Plus the win would put us at .500 and 5 straight wins, making every poster here cream in their pants.

We're Knicks fans. We never get to cream.


cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 58,970
And1: 30,691
Joined: Feb 25, 2010

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#150 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:Everyone is throwing their own numbers of how much cap we will have next season. But here is the breakdown if we sign KP now. We would only have $6.7mil in cap. If we stretch Noah and extend KP before next summer, then we would only have roughly $20mil in cap. However, if we wait to sign KP until next summer with his caphold would only be $16mil, we would have roughly $29mil in cap (after we've stretched Noah). So there is a huge difference in signing him now then signing him after we've signed potentially Kyrie. He will get his max regardless. If he knows Kyrie wants to come here, then he will allow the Knicks to sign him and then they'll give him his max contract immediately afterwards. He could get hurt again and James Dolan will still give him the max. We do it all the time.

Image


29 isn’t Kyrie’s max.
It’s 30+


He will be eligible for 31. Durant signed a 2 yr 56 mil contract when he signed with Golden State. I don't think Kyrie will argue over $2 million. Guys like him, KD, Bron makes so much off the court that they have taken small paycuts to go to their respective teams. Also the cap is going up next season by a few million which will allow us to be in the 30+ plus range to get him anyway.



We are the Warriors now?

Again, EXPECTING players to take even a penny paycut is asinine.
User avatar
Jstock12
General Manager
Posts: 8,765
And1: 15,538
Joined: Jun 24, 2012

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#151 » by Jstock12 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Greenie wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Let him secure it then.


It's best to give your young superstars early extensions. Letting them 'prove themselves' can create distrust. I think in KP's mind he's done more than enough to prove that he's a young player worthy of a max extension. And one of the jobs of the FO is too keep their star players happy, not alienate them.


You do understand that I’m saying just that, right?

If we’re keeping KP he shouldn’t have to wait. If you’re not(or not sure) then let him hit FA and make a decision from there.
...and if your not sure or don’t want him back then you should trade him.

By all accounts the Knicks want him here. So give that boy his money and stop lollygagging about it.


okay, I misunderstood you
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 58,970
And1: 30,691
Joined: Feb 25, 2010

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#152 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Jeffrey wrote:With KPs extension... that is a 100% given unless something out of a horror movie happens. There should be NO DEBATE about him getting less than a max contract. Max contract is not reserve for superstars only.

The timing of when gets his max contract matters for us to get 2 max players or close to it. The cap hold is VERY high but not close to his contract extension.

Noah will not be stretched until we get a guarantee that an FA is coming here for sure.


Again, you’re asking KP to basically wait because we fuqed up the cap.

KAT won’t wait.

AD didn’t wait.
KD didn’t wait.
Embid didn’t wait.
Kyrie didn’t wait.
Booker didn’t wait.

Ben won’t wait.
Bet you Mitchell won’t wait.
Tatum damn sure won’t wait.


...but KP has to? That's not right.
Spree2Houston
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,443
And1: 1,253
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
       

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#153 » by Spree2Houston » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:47 pm

Greenie wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:
Greenie wrote:
29 isn’t Kyrie’s max.
It’s 30+


He will be eligible for 31. Durant signed a 2 yr 56 mil contract when he signed with Golden State. I don't think Kyrie will argue over $2 million. Guys like him, KD, Bron makes so much off the court that they have taken small paycuts to go to their respective teams. Also the cap is going up next season by a few million which will allow us to be in the 30+ plus range to get him anyway.



We are the Warriors now?

Again, EXPECTING players to take even a penny paycut is asinine.


Typical you..find one line and change the whole narrative in your argument. Kyrie gave up the SUPER-MAX..LET ME REPEAT THE SUPER MAX..No i need to repeat it again HE GAVE UP THE SUPER MAX when he requested a trade from Cleveland. You think he's going to cry over $1-2 million?
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 58,970
And1: 30,691
Joined: Feb 25, 2010

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#154 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Dame didn’t wait
Melo didn’t wait
Bron didn’t wait
Giannis didn’t wait
Harden didn’t wait
Wade didn’t wait
Bosh didn’t wait
STAT didn’t wait
Duncan didn’t wait


Mofo’s like Arron Gordon wait.


Players like KP(even I’m saying this) do not walk into the last year of their rookie deals without extensions. They AT LEAST are negotiating.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,492
And1: 943
Joined: Feb 22, 2016

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#155 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Greenie wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
Greenie wrote:

Y’all really get butt hurt when players don’t wanna wait to get paid.

Ever thought KP would like some security NOW?

It’s either you wanna pay him or you don’t. Why all of these games? Because WE fuqed up the cap?


It's called having a plan and executing it with patience. The Knicks will max him out, but, timing is critical.

The cap isn't fuqued. It will be if we max him too early. And it is to his benefit financially to wait, too. He'll make more money in the long run.

And if they trick off their cap space because he has a burning desire to get paid now, then fans like you will complain, like they did with Melo, that the Knicks can't build a team around him.

The only league with a harder cap is the NFL. It creates a situation where you cant have your cake and eat it too, like Yankees players. KP can get paid now, and blow his prime on THJ being his sidekick through his prime, or wait a year, make MORE money, and have the possibility of being on a contending team open up.

We don't need another Melo.



Sorry, I’m one of the few that never complained about Melo’s money. I complain about the Knicks being dummies. Melo didn’t sign STAT. The Knicks did.

The Knicks can’t build a team because they have money tied up in Timmy, Noah and Lee. That has NOTHING to do with KP. KP didn’t sign them.

Just like Melo, it’s not KP’s responsibility to help the Knicks out. This is business.


And just like Melo he'll be playing for 8th seeds and 2nd rounds for his whole career if he follows Mel's example.

He should help himself out though and have a contending team AND more long term money.

Seems pretty simple to me.
HEZI
RealGM
Posts: 29,875
And1: 11,823
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
 

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#156 » by HEZI » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Knicks aren't obligated to sign KP to an extension, it's just that simple. Saying that teams have to sign players to extensions a whole year in advance is like saying players have to do the same. Players shouldn't have to make their teams wait until the summer to resign them? Players have every right to test waters in free agency and teams have every right to wait to offer an extension.

This is crazy talk, you can't tell a player he can't go seek money in free agency so how you gonna tell a team they can't manage their payroll?
DENVER NUGGETS
Kemba Walker/Jordan Clarkson/Devonte Graham
Andrew Wiggins/Eric Gordon/Carsen Edwards
Kelly Oubre/Evan Fournier/Dzanan Musa
Christian Wood/Harry Giles/Luke Kornet
Nikola Vucevic/Thomas Bryant/Bruno Fernando
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 58,970
And1: 30,691
Joined: Feb 25, 2010

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#157 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Spree2Houston wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:
He will be eligible for 31. Durant signed a 2 yr 56 mil contract when he signed with Golden State. I don't think Kyrie will argue over $2 million. Guys like him, KD, Bron makes so much off the court that they have taken small paycuts to go to their respective teams. Also the cap is going up next season by a few million which will allow us to be in the 30+ plus range to get him anyway.



We are the Warriors now?

Again, EXPECTING players to take even a penny paycut is asinine.


Typical you..find one line and change the whole narrative in your argument. Kyrie gave up the SUPER-MAX..LET ME REPEAT THE SUPER MAX..No i need to repeat it again HE GAVE UP THE SUPER MAX when he requested a trade from Cleveland. You think he's going to cry over $1-2 million?



What if he does?

Just because he did it then doesn’t make us entitled for him to do it for us.

Kyrie Irving is a max player. You don’t short change players if you’re the Knicks. You already have a trash reputation.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,492
And1: 943
Joined: Feb 22, 2016

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#158 » by PeoplesChamp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 pm

Greenie wrote:Dame didn’t wait
Melo didn’t wait
Bron didn’t wait
Giannis didn’t wait
Harden didn’t wait
Wade didn’t wait
Bosh didn’t wait
STAT didn’t wait
Duncan didn’t wait


Mofo’s like Arron Gordon wait.


Players like KP(even I’m saying this) do not walk into the last year of their rookie deals without extensions. They AT LEAST are negotiating.


Except Bron, Wade and Bosh DID wait. It's how they were able to team up. They didn't take every available year and dime like Melo.
Greenie
RealGM
Posts: 58,970
And1: 30,691
Joined: Feb 25, 2010

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#159 » by Greenie » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:54 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
Greenie wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
It's called having a plan and executing it with patience. The Knicks will max him out, but, timing is critical.

The cap isn't fuqued. It will be if we max him too early. And it is to his benefit financially to wait, too. He'll make more money in the long run.

And if they trick off their cap space because he has a burning desire to get paid now, then fans like you will complain, like they did with Melo, that the Knicks can't build a team around him.

The only league with a harder cap is the NFL. It creates a situation where you cant have your cake and eat it too, like Yankees players. KP can get paid now, and blow his prime on THJ being his sidekick through his prime, or wait a year, make MORE money, and have the possibility of being on a contending team open up.

We don't need another Melo.



Sorry, I’m one of the few that never complained about Melo’s money. I complain about the Knicks being dummies. Melo didn’t sign STAT. The Knicks did.

The Knicks can’t build a team because they have money tied up in Timmy, Noah and Lee. That has NOTHING to do with KP. KP didn’t sign them.

Just like Melo, it’s not KP’s responsibility to help the Knicks out. This is business.


And just like Melo he'll be playing for 8th seeds and 2nd rounds for his whole career if he follows Mel's example.

He should help himself out though and have a contending team AND more long term money.

Seems pretty simple to me.



You know who should help KP?

The Knicks
Spree2Houston
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,443
And1: 1,253
Joined: Feb 21, 2015
       

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#160 » by Spree2Houston » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:55 pm

Greenie wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:
Greenie wrote:

We are the Warriors now?

Again, EXPECTING players to take even a penny paycut is asinine.


Typical you..find one line and change the whole narrative in your argument. Kyrie gave up the SUPER-MAX..LET ME REPEAT THE SUPER MAX..No i need to repeat it again HE GAVE UP THE SUPER MAX when he requested a trade from Cleveland. You think he's going to cry over $1-2 million?



What if he does?

Just because he did it then doesn’t make us entitled for him to do it for us.

Kyrie Irving is a max player. You don’t short change players if you’re the Knicks. You already have a trash reputation.


You know your entire argument is him not giving up $1 million dollars..you know that right

Return to New York Knicks