ImageImageImageImageImage

[BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan'

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,914

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#21 » by cgf » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:53 pm

cuyankees wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
cuyankees wrote:His cap hold alone makes it very tough for a max slot... Has been discussed in depth on here and ESPN and the like “experts”.

Yeah I haven’t done any math — I was just saying that KP’s actual Max won’t be the number the Knicks are limited by in that offseason.

You're right, we must unload Lee and despite what many think, that isn't happening unless Knicks attach assets.

Memphis might bail us out...or some playoff team with injuries at the TDL that needs a reliable 3D wing *shrug*
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#22 » by cuyankees » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:04 am

cgf wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:
Yeah I haven’t done any math — I was just saying that KP’s actual Max won’t be the number the Knicks are limited by in that offseason.

You're right, we must unload Lee and despite what many think, that isn't happening unless Knicks attach assets.

Memphis might bail us out...or some playoff team with injuries at the TDL that needs a reliable 3D wing *shrug*

Both possibilities don't have the cap space to absorb Lee...
30andoverclub
Sophomore
And1: 112

Post#23 » by 30andoverclub » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:08 am

Cap room for a max contract will be $33 million for a player such as point guard Kyrie Irving or Golden State’s Klay Thompson.

If the Knicks wait until 2019 to lock up Porzingis, when he’s a restricted free agent, it would give them $10 million more in cap room next summer, of which every penny may be needed to lure Irving.

If the Knicks don’t give Porzingis his extension, they project to have $22 million in cap space next summer, according to ESPN’s capologist Bobby Marks.

The difference could be made up by using the stretch provision on formerly exiled Joakim Noah. Starting Sept. 1, if the Knicks waive Noah under the provision, they gain another $12 million in 2019 cap space.

That adds up to $34 million in space — enough for Irving, Thompson or Kawhi Leonard, though not LeBron James’ max if he is free again in 2019.

If the Knicks give Porzingis his max extension this summer, they would go into 2019 with $12 million in space. Of course, Porzingis could agree to take less than the max to help the Knicks and still give him more money than he could ever imagine spending in Latvia.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/01/why-knicks-should-be-in-no-rush-to-extend-kristaps-porzingis/

TLDR Version: Wait to sign Porzingis to an extension. Waive and stretch Noah's contract after the 2018-19 season. Sign max free agent. Sign Porzingis to an extension.

The order you sign free agents matters a lot when it comes to managing the cap. I imagine the front office knows this and has made Porzingis aware of it.

So, yes, the Knicks are already in position to sign a max free agent in 2019. That is, assuming they wait to sign Porzingis. If they trade Lee for an expiring, they could sign Porzingis to an extension afterwards and still be able to offer a maximum contract in 2019.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#24 » by magnumt » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:09 am

Jonathan starks wrote:I wouldn’t give him an extension. If he plays well coming back from the injury someone will offer him the max. Then I match if I’m comfortable will his health

No Franchise in the world would NOT give Porzingis an extension. ACL or not.

ESPECIALLY how he's proven so far in recovery that he's ahead of schedule and healing VERY will.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#25 » by ny-n-md » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:12 am

cuyankees wrote:
cgf wrote:
cuyankees wrote:You're right, we must unload Lee and despite what many think, that isn't happening unless Knicks attach assets.

You’re a bit of a Debbie Downer. I’ve been racking my brain trying to find a trade partner too. Can’t come up with anything. Injuries happen and desperation to add pieces for playoff runs always come into play by the deadline though. So far, I think that is our only hope. Before the season? Seems unlikely. :(

Please move Lee, Lance and Noah.
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
30andoverclub
Sophomore
And1: 112

Post#26 » by 30andoverclub » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 am

The Detroit Pistons did the same thing with Andre Drummond back in 2015 btw:

Andre Drummond has elected not to sign a long-term extension with the Detroit Pistons before next month's deadline in a partnership with the team to increase salary-cap space, coach and team president Stan Van Gundy said Tuesday.

Drummond was a strong candidate to sign up to a five-year, $120 million maximum contract extension by the Nov. 2 deadline. But after consulting with the team, he will delay making any commitment until next July, when he will become a restricted free agent.

The move will allow the Pistons to enter free agency with nearly $13 million in additional salary-cap space next summer than if Drummond had signed a max contract extension now. It's a mechanism that will allow the Pistons to sign other players and then use their Bird rights to sign Drummond. Had Drummond agreed to the extension now, the Pistons would have to include the new salary on their books going into free agency.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/13932244/andre-drummond-decides-not-extend-detroit-pistons

It would be great if we get a similar statement from Scott Perry later this summer.
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Post#27 » by Jonathan starks » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 am

magnumt wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:I wouldn’t give him an extension. If he plays well coming back from the injury someone will offer him the max. Then I match if I’m comfortable will his health

ESPECIALLY how he's proven so far in recovery that he's ahead of schedule and healing VERY will.

So then give up on sighing another max player
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#28 » by cuyankees » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:20 am

ny-n-md wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
cgf wrote:

You’re a bit of a Debbie Downer. I’ve been racking my brain trying to find a trade partner too. Can’t come up with anything. Injuries happen and desperation to add pieces for playoff runs always come into play by the deadline though. So far, I think that is our only hope. Before the season? Seems unlikely. :(

Please move Lee, Lance and Noah.

It's called reality. There's a reason you've been racking your brain, it's going to be very tough to unload Lee wout attaching assets.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#29 » by magnumt » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:33 am

Jonathan starks wrote:
magnumt wrote:

:-?

Do you not understand how the Salary Cap works my man? :D

Porzingis' extension wouldn't kick in until AFTER 2019. It has NO bearing AT ALL money wise on the 2019 Free Agency for the Knicks.

magnumt6
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#30 » by cuyankees » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:35 am

magnumt wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
magnumt wrote:

Porzingis' extension wouldn't kick in until AFTER 2019. It has NO bearing AT ALL money wise on the 2019 Free Agency for the Knicks.

It sure does matter, if he signs a Mac extension btwn now and end of 2018 season, it hits the books...
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by magnumt » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 am

cuyankees wrote:
magnumt wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:

It sure does matter, if he signs a Mac extension btwn now and end of 2018 season, it hits the books...

It boggles my mind how some of you claim to know so much about basketball and criticize so much on this board, but in actuality know diddly squat. :nonono:

ANY extension Porzingis signs, does NOT kick in until his Rookie deal ENDS, which would be at the END of the 2019-20 Season! :roll:

His new contract would activate for the 2020 Summer, NOT the end of 2018 Season.

magnumt6
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#32 » by cuyankees » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:50 am

magnumt wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
magnumt wrote:

It boggles my mind how some of you claim to know so much about basketball and criticize so much on this board, but in actuality know diddly squat. :nonono:

ANY extension Porzingis signs, does NOT kick in until his Rookie deal ENDS, which would be at the END of the 2019-20 Season! :roll:

His new contract would activate for the 2020 Summer, NOT the end of 2018 Season.

Suggest you review timing of Embiid/Wiggins deals and salary cap hits the following season. All those salary cap websites can't surely be wrong...
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#33 » by Billy Goat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:53 am

magnumt wrote:

Golden State certainly wouldnt with their current roster. Porzingis isnt a good enough shooter right now to justify anything near a max.
The KnicksFix
Sixth Man
And1: 1,553

Post#34 » by The KnicksFix » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:19 am

sign him to the max at a bargain price, the same way the warriors got lucky year after year falling into loopholes. we could get him at a bargain max deal price
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,055

Re: RE: Re: [BR] - Kristaps Porzingis Contract Extension Part of Knicks' 'Long-Term Plan' 

Post#35 » by GONYK » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:33 am

30andoverclub wrote:The Detroit Pistons did the same thing with Andre Drummond back in 2015 btw:

Andre Drummond has elected not to sign a long-term extension with the Detroit Pistons before next month's deadline in a partnership with the team to increase salary-cap space, coach and team president Stan Van Gundy said Tuesday.

Drummond was a strong candidate to sign up to a five-year, $120 million maximum contract extension by the Nov. 2 deadline. But after consulting with the team, he will delay making any commitment until next July, when he will become a restricted free agent.

The move will allow the Pistons to enter free agency with nearly $13 million in additional salary-cap space next summer than if Drummond had signed a max contract extension now. It's a mechanism that will allow the Pistons to sign other players and then use their Bird rights to sign Drummond. Had Drummond agreed to the extension now, the Pistons would have to include the new salary on their books going into free agency.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/13932244/andre-drummond-decides-not-extend-detroit-pistons

It would be great if we get a similar statement from Scott Perry later this summer.

Teams do it all the time. It just requires the trust of your star.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,109

Post#36 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:44 am

Billy Goat wrote:
magnumt wrote:

Golden State certainly wouldnt with their current roster. Porzingis isnt a good enough shooter right now to justify anything near a max.

GS also would do that.
The thing is KP on a max contract still a great asset. You can always trade that asset.
Its not like signing Melo at age 30 to a 4 year max.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,275

Post#37 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:48 am

KP will collaborate with Pills. He wants to be a Knick now that the front office and the coaching situation is solid. With the way this draft went, there is no way KP will want to leave now. This is New York. He'll be on a solid contender. Leaving would be idiotic so he'll help the team with its rebuild if they need to coordinate their calendar to sign a deal. This is much ado about absolutely nothing. He's going nowhere unless he requests a trade and the odds of that are next to nil.

I don't want anybody handing out NTC's again though. Those are complete BS. Teams should have the option to divorce a player if things are not going well.
ImageImageImage
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,271

Post#38 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:55 am

Yea its obvious the knicks plan will be to resign KP next summer since it gives us more cap space. It won't stop the media from trying to make this a story though.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#39 » by dakomish23 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:08 am

Marty McFly wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
Marty McFly wrote:don't offer him that extension and if he plays well, i guarantee he takes the QO and bails on the knicks.

I highly doubt that

then make yourself familiar with janis.

Insert JWO logo
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#40 » by dakomish23 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:11 am

magnumt wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:
magnumt wrote:

His cap hold is huge though
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit

Return to New York Knicks