ImageImageImageImageImage

Chris Brickley on Working with Frank and Kanter

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,319

Re: Chris Brickley on Working with Frank and Kanter 

Post#41 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:02 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
That sort of maps to KP as well, where the moves still looked awkward year 2, but in year 3 much better (with residual awkwardness)

Long people growing into their bodies tend to look that way. Frank's arms have an extra pair of hands attached to the end of them. You try doing acrobatics with spaghetti arms. Oh wait, you're Capt. Fantastic. Never mind

I think both KP and Frank need to be looked at in terms of 4 year plans. I mean, back in the "4 full years of college" it was expected a guy needed a year to adjust. Most players seem to need at least 3. I'd say KP's extreme height for a player that mobile, and the the fact that Frank was 18 when drafted, make me think 4 years is the fair assessment.

I mean, it's ok to have opinions along the way - if Frank regressed in year 2 or if year 3 looked exactly the same as year 2. But I'm going to assume Frank will progress from year 1 to 2 to 3 and even KP will pick it up another notch in year 4 - or maybe 5 - as year 4 might only be a half season, or no season.

yeah, its not a Show Me year the way 2010 put it. It's a trajectory. I don't see why either of them can't keep improving for their first six years really. Some players never evolve. I expect Frank to. I expect KP to do so as well, though he may not evolve in every way I want, but expecting him to pass like Bill Walton may be asking for too much.
ImageImageImage
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,080

Post#42 » by stuporman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:04 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
stuporman wrote:I like Frank but those moves he pulled in SL looked rough, those turnarounds has his legs kicking out all over the place. It's good he's working on it to take advantage of his size but what worked against SL scrubs probably won't against NBA players as well.

I suspect he'll become more aggressive off the dribble getting into the lane more so than he will turn into a post beast abusing PGs.... at least this season.

That sort of maps to KP as well, where the moves still looked awkward year 2, but in year 3 much better (with residual awkwardness)

It just kind of means he isn't quite balanced yet and got his legs under him throughout the move, it's a thing that repetition will work the rough edges off with.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,830

Post#43 » by Adelheid » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:07 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
Nah, they let KOQ walk, won't happen

KOQ didn't perform at a starting C level last season. If Kanter is getting 20/12/0.9bpg on good %'s be scurred

If Robinson is progressing they are not going to pay Kanter starter money

This franchise looks to be going all-youth now. Very small chance of Kanter resigned unless he can make do with a 20/4 type of conract.
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#44 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:16 am

Adelheid wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
KOQ didn't perform at a starting C level last season. If Kanter is getting 20/12/0.9bpg on good %'s be scurred

If Robinson is progressing they are not going to pay Kanter starter money

This franchise looks to be going all-youth now. Very small chance of Kanter resigned unless he can make do with a 20/4 type of conract.

That's basically all I'm saying. If he stays that's about all he will get
ImageImageImage
Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Post#45 » by Bill Pidto » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:12 am

god shammgod wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:If Fiz gets Kanter to shoot 37% from three point range and be decent on defense a lot attitudes about Kanter will change around here.

not for me. because we're not resigning him. nor should we. him playing well does nothing for the knicks future. we need our cap space for an all-star. that's it. there isn't room for him or anyone else. we're gonna max out kp, we have timmy who we can't get rid of and we have some young kids who we don't have to pay for a couple of years. so before we have to pay them, we should be smart about the rest of the cap and only sign someone who is a real difference maker. and that person will never be enes kanter.

I feel ya... but Clyde’s statement would still be true of most people. For him to add that much to his game would change the way Kanter is viewed as a player, of course. Whether many more fans want to resign him or not.

Just imagine he has a legit all-star season, though. Imagine he has a brilliant season offensively, and improves enough on defense under Fizz to earn everyone’s respect. It’s going to make things really tricky for the Knicks. He might also help you win more games than most fans want to see.

You know the guy is going to play hard every night, and he’s going to talk a lot. Lol. Gonna be a typical storyline for Knicks fans to sh*t post about.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,830

Post#46 » by Adelheid » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:56 am

Bill Pidto wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:If Fiz gets Kanter to shoot 37% from three point range and be decent on defense a lot attitudes about Kanter will change around here.

not for me. because we're not resigning him. nor should we. him playing well does nothing for the knicks future. we need our cap space for an all-star. that's it. there isn't room for him or anyone else. we're gonna max out kp, we have timmy who we can't get rid of and we have some young kids who we don't have to pay for a couple of years. so before we have to pay them, we should be smart about the rest of the cap and only sign someone who is a real difference maker. and that person will never be enes kanter.

I feel ya... but Clyde’s statement would still be true of most people. For him to add that much to his game would change the way Kanter is viewed as a player, of course. Whether many more fans want to resign him or not.

Just imagine he has a legit all-star season, though. Imagine he has a brilliant season offensively, and improves enough on defense under Fizz to earn everyone’s respect. It’s going to make things really tricky for the Knicks. He might also help you win more games than most fans want to see.

You know the guy is going to play hard every night, and he’s going to talk a lot. Lol. Gonna be a typical storyline for Knicks fans to sh*t post about.

Kanter is like 25 or 26 years old. For everyone to expect plethora of additions and changes to his game just isnt realistic at all.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,186

Post#47 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:27 am

Not sure about you guys, but I think Kanter's defense is more important than a 3 point shot. Anything else means he gets switched onto and abused mercilessly when the game really matters.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#48 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:16 am

Kanter becoming at least decent on defense and adding a respectable 3 point shot aren't unrealistic. It would still be a pleasant surprise but they aren't improbable improvements. The guy has great footwork in the post so he can definitely improve on defense.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#49 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:14 am

This would be the season for Kanter to show improvement on defense. If he doesn't do it this season probably won't ever happen
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,347

Post#50 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:45 am

Bill Pidto wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

I've given Kanter some grief here and there - he's not the best defender. But I can't knock his effort or his current contract - the Knicks didn't grant it and acquired it only to get out from Melo for mutual benefit. Kanter's kind of the anti Chris Dudley - all offense and no defense instead of vice versa. Or a more old school David Lee, who was a bit of a throwback anyway. But every player can't be everything. I like that Kanter plays hard and is an excellent low post scorer and pretty good in the P&R, good teammate etc.

Again, he's a "right price" sort of player. I'd hope the Knicks don't spend too much on a player with obvious defensive flaws but he's young enough that a KOQ type deal, AFTER they sign a FA (if) might be good. Or, he plays well hitting some 3's and picks up his defense and probably plays himself out of the Knicks price range - or should, if the Knicks are being smart about cap management.

He'll be fun enough to watch this year and MRob can learn some things about around the basket scoring from him. No lessons on defense though, please.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,299

Post#51 » by TheGreenArrow » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:58 am

My mind has already changed on kanter. I would love if he stuck around to backup mrob in the future.
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#52 » by Jeff Van Gully » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:42 pm

god shammgod wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

wouldn't kanter in that state be the kind of player you're talking about?

a perennial all-star ? he's not gonna improve that much. i'm confident that he'll never be that. he's not gonna shoot 37 percent from 3 and he's not gonna get that much better on d. he's slow and doesn't have the athletic ability to switch. they can't train him out of those limitations. look at what teams are paying for similar centers. if you wanted a kanter type, even an improved one, you add him after all your main players are in place using the mle. now is not the time.

not arguing for keeping kanter. i'm just curious to see what comes of him this season. ideally he'd be a valuable trade piece. maybe allow you to acquire and extend a true star?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#53 » by cgmw » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:13 pm

"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
whocares1
General Manager
And1: 5,976

Post#54 » by whocares1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:26 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:This would be the season for Kanter to show improvement on defense. If he doesn't do it this season probably won't ever happen

Why would his defense improve because he’s a good post player? Kanter has no chance of ever being a decent defensive player. He’s been in the league long enough. He is what he is.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#55 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:47 pm

whocares1 wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:This would be the season for Kanter to show improvement on defense. If he doesn't do it this season probably won't ever happen

Why would his defense improve because he’s a good post player? Kanter has no chance of ever being a decent defensive player. He’s been in the league long enough. He is what he is.

I think it's a mental/focus thing on that end with him. If he has that kind of footwork on offense he should be a better defender. But hey you're probably right that he is what he is. The motivation for him will be money and maintaining status in the league. If that doesn't make him play better on that end of the court, nothing will.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#56 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:15 pm

2010 wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:
2010 wrote:If Frank can develop a power game at 6'6" as a PG (posing up smaller guards, a turnaround/fadeaway jumper, using long strides and length to get to the rim, and finishing through contact) it'll go a long way towards alleviating and negating all the concerns I had bout his game.

* Lack of aggression, passive mental approach and mentality
* Lack of a strong 1st step and explosion
* Lack of elite athleticism
* Lack of quickness/twitchiness
* Lack of polish, finishing on awkward drives

Between Brick influencing him to develop a power game and with Fiz teaching all our young players to work on their finishing skills (through contact, jumping off the wrong foot with intention, using their off hand, using the floater) and with both Brick/Fiz coaxing him to be more aggressive hopefully we see the fruits of their labor in year two.

agressiveness can come from a persons character but when its not in a persons nature it can come from experience and confidence

if Frank develops a go to move or three he can have the confidence to use it and then build on it

Ive seen players who didn't need the ball to be happy develop a move and then start to demand the ball since they could read the teams need and do something about it

True. Historically there have been some quiet, calm, cool, babyfaced assassins. Even if he just picks his spots and is aggressive opportunistically I am cool with that. Like Fiz said, he can be aggressive and still look to pass and spread the ball around. Aggression doesn't always necessarily equate to looking to score. Just make things happen and attract the attention of the defense and make yourself a threat that must be accounted for. I'd be happy with that.

rondo is a great historically aggressive player who doesn't really look to score as much

for example
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,544

Post#57 » by Fat Kat » Wed Aug 1, 2018 11:48 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#58 » by Clyde_Style » Thu Aug 2, 2018 12:08 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Loose Labia Reunion!
ImageImageImage
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#59 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Thu Aug 2, 2018 1:54 am

Le scared now?
Illightinati
Senior
And1: 454

Post#60 » by Illightinati » Thu Aug 2, 2018 3:23 pm

Was thinking, Yeah, Frank needs to be aggressive... but he also needs to relax himself. He could be so aggressive that he's actually tense and off on his shooting. (Think that's what happened to Dotson this summer and THJr. during timespans of his career/season)

Dotson seemed so stiff and inflexible that it conflicted with his game. Easy layup misses and shooting Bricks. You'll hear Shaq describe his troubles with free throws. And it wasn't his actual form, 'cause he practiced that day and night to the point it was decent. HE choked up from pressure/breathing wise, which caused tense muscles resulting in miss shots.

Someone to look at would be Fultz this year. Very weird situation caused by his own muscle tension. (AKA blocked Breathing paths in the body) I've been researching Bio-energetics, and its fascinating how the human body can react to trauma. Physically and Emotionally.

Think a breathing coach, or composure coach would be needed for Frank to thrive. Chris is a okay trainer who will probably improve his craft, but someone like Strickland/Tony Parker would maximize Frank's potential. (Kobe gonna make Tatum a beast this season through these breathing details, energy preservation, and when to choose aggression on top of advanced moves )

Return to New York Knicks