ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: What Do You Want To See A NBA Blog About

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,594

OT: What Do You Want To See A NBA Blog About 

Post#1 » by NYG » Fri Aug 3, 2018 2:47 am

1. What type of NBA Blog do you wish existed?

2. What makes a blog good or bad?

3. What type of NBA articles do you find yourself reading most?

4. What are the 3 most important things to keep in mind when starting a sports blog?
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Re: OT: What Do You Want To See A NBA Blog About 

Post#2 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 6:29 am

Locker room and sideline stories.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#3 » by Sark » Fri Aug 3, 2018 9:05 am

The correlation between winning the jump ball and the final outcome. That would be interesting.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#4 » by Flaming Mo » Fri Aug 3, 2018 9:20 am

Today's sports journalism is extremely watered down thanks to the society we live in. People have no time, their attention span is really short, a lot of people only "swipe" through the news. Companies like ESPN dictate the market, you have a TMZ like quality of content with guys like Skip Bayless or those other faceless morons getting a platform and rarely ever goes something into detail or so far, that a true sports fan really enjoy the coverage.

So for a basketball or NBA Blog that I would want to read I would love to see stories go into detail, they should be well researched and originally written. Tell stories and be yourself. We got hundreds of stats sites, we got hundreds of poor researched content, we got all a lot of mainstream stuff. Do something for real sports fans.

As far as a good blog I think I touched on it above mostly. Regular content is really important, if people like your stuff, they want more of it and on a regular basis. I'd like a sports blog to be both informative and entertaining, also from a writing standpoint. Every aspiring sports journalist should be more like Grantland Rice and less ESPN, unfortunately it is happening the other way around...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
NYG
RealGM

Post#5 » by NYG » Fri Aug 3, 2018 11:25 am

Flaming Mo wrote:Today's sports journalism is extremely watered down thanks to the society we live in. People have no time, their attention span is really short, a lot of people only "swipe" through the news. Companies like ESPN dictate the market, you have a TMZ like quality of content with guys like Skip Bayless or those other faceless morons getting a platform and rarely ever goes something into detail or so far, that a true sports fan really enjoy the coverage.

So for a basketball or NBA Blog that I would want to read I would love to see stories go into detail, they should be well researched and originally written. Tell stories and be yourself. We got hundreds of stats sites, we got hundreds of poor researched content, we got all a lot of mainstream stuff. Do something for real sports fans.

As far as a good blog I think I touched on it above mostly. Regular content is really important, if people like your stuff, they want more of it and on a regular basis. I'd like a sports blog to be both informative and entertaining, also from a writing standpoint. Every aspiring sports journalist should be more like Grantland Rice and less ESPN, unfortunately it is happening the other way around...

Thanks, very helpful. What kind of stories? Like an article version of 30-for-30 kind of?
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Flaming Mo » Fri Aug 3, 2018 12:34 pm

NYG wrote:Thanks, very helpful. What kind of stories? Like an article version of 30-for-30 kind of?

Yes, that would be nice. Dig into the human side, the drama, the story behind the curtain, into historical significance. There are countless great sports stories that need to be told...
NYG
RealGM

Post#7 » by NYG » Fri Aug 3, 2018 12:47 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:
NYG wrote:Thanks, very helpful. What kind of stories? Like an article version of 30-for-30 kind of?

Yes, that would be nice. Dig into the human side, the drama, the story behind the curtain, into historical significance. There are countless great sports stories that need to be told...

Would 3-4 articles a week be enough when getting off the ground?

I was thinking of doing a few articles in the 30-for-30 style with some fluff articles mixed in. I was thinking of having What-If-Wednesday articles every Wednesday where I basically re-write history in a detailed way.

The what if articles would be like 2010 LeBron’s Decision to take his talents to the Big Apple and the trickle down effect.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Flaming Mo » Fri Aug 3, 2018 1:56 pm

NYG wrote:Would 3-4 articles a week be enough when getting off the ground?

I was thinking of doing a few articles in the 30-for-30 style with some fluff articles mixed in. I was thinking of having What-If-Wednesday articles every Wednesday where I basically re-write history in a detailed way.

The what if articles would be like 2010 LeBron’s Decision to take his talents to the Big Apple and the trickle down effect.

I would say definitely but in the end it all comes down to you and your passion for it. However you wanna do it is the best way and if you love what you do, people will recognize it.

Best of luck!
BLACKFEET 2010
RealGM
And1: 3,847

Post#9 » by BLACKFEET 2010 » Fri Aug 3, 2018 5:22 pm

Sark wrote:The correlation between winning the jump ball and the final outcome. That would be interesting.

Or how about laughing/smiling at the line and missing the freethrow after?
Blockwatcher
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,174

Post#10 » by Blockwatcher » Fri Aug 3, 2018 6:56 pm

BLACKFEET 2010 wrote:
Sark wrote:The correlation between winning the jump ball and the final outcome. That would be interesting.

Or how about laughing/smiling at the line and missing the freethrow after?

I want an in-depth report on collusion. I want names and times and recorded wire tapped lines. Word for word what these bums are saying to each other, when they are saying it, how they are saying it. And I want Adam Silver to answer for his crimes.
1 John 2 : 15-17
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#11 » by King of Canada » Fri Aug 3, 2018 9:39 pm

I want a blog about the second best player on the high school team of NBA players, and where they are now
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
NYG
RealGM

Post#12 » by NYG » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:39 am

Flaming Mo wrote:
NYG wrote:Would 3-4 articles a week be enough when getting off the ground?

I would say definitely but in the end it all comes down to you and your passion for it. However you wanna do it is the best way and if you love what you do, people will recognize it.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your help, I decided just to start with 17 trades we will see this season, then a thorough season predictions and finishing with a full 2019 mock off-season for all 30 teams.

If you want to see the first 2 trades with more to come: http://www.thesportscrazy.com
Da_Mane_Man
General Manager
And1: 1,590

Post#13 » by Da_Mane_Man » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 am

King of Canada wrote:I want a blog about the second best player on the high school team of NBA players, and where they are now

damn, great idea.

Return to New York Knicks