cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Re: Woj Knicks plan to not reincorporate Noah and cut him in September 

Post#61 » by cuyankees » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:11 am

Phish Tank wrote:
cuyankees wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:
KP's extension would kick in after we sign our max FAs. His cap hold is like $17M or so. I'd use that #.

Please review timing of Embiid n Wiggins max deals and when their salaries changed. Timing is everything...

KP ain't getting an extension until the 2019 FA hits. He's not getting one before that.

So you're betting KP doesn't take the court this season and FO is willing to risk negatively impacting their relationship w him. I hope they take that bet but just don't see it happening.
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#62 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:13 am

mpharris36 wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
FatboyRealPetty wrote:so.. like would this move look completely idiotic if we dont even get our max guys or? i dont know how this stuff works

Absolutely

We can't un-stretch his contract, so we're stuck with his money for another 4 years regardless of if a max FA signs or not

i get the feeling it has less to do with opening up a max spot next year as moving on from his negative attitude and freeing up a roster spot...maybe they just don't want him in the building anymore and it could be a players association nightmare just telling the guy to stay home.

i agree they should wait...but there seems to be other factors in this that fans aren't aware of.

Very plausible perspective, addition via subtraction

It has to be more than just the dust up with Hornacek, then. They are willing to pay him until the 2020s rather than just suffer thru it for one more season and then buy him out, they must have felt Noah is on some next level schit and they didnt want that negative influence around the young core....outside of trading him with an unprotected 1st attached they chose the most expensive route possible to rid themselves of a malcontent...guess you can't put a price tag on peace of mind :lol:
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,274

Post#63 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:25 am

BowlRips wrote:There is no reason not to wait until the day Kyrie Irving commits to come to the Knicks.
Milk your leverage until that day.
Never know what could happen.
Maybe a trade opportunity opens up.

Seriously though.. I hate to bring this up again but Biyombo and Mozgov were both traded this offseason. There could always be a move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Holding Noah and waiting is the right move.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,650

Post#64 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:30 am

Millsperry be fcking up again.
Free Palestine
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#65 » by Oscirus » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:34 am

Tron Carter wrote:
Read on Twitter

pretty much

I imagine that not only are we opening up a spot for our youngsters but we're also not about to give up a first round pick to get someone to take on Noah's albatross of a contract in the final year.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#66 » by Wonderllama » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:36 am

I wish the amnesty clause would come as a once a year option. Players would surely like that, they would still get paid and teams get to erase their mistakes.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#67 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:38 am

knicksh20b wrote:I'm totally okay with this. Sunk cost that shouldn't be sunker.

It's a bad choice. This commits us to next years FA. This means we are more likely to over-pay for 2nd rate talent. If we know that we are going to get one of Durant, Kyrie, Butler for sure, then w/e. We don't know that though..
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
damedash09
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#68 » by damedash09 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:39 am

Read on Twitter
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#69 » by HEZI » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:39 am

I'm sure Noah would have the option of taking it to the NBPA and having them help him resolve the issue if the Knicks just decided to hold him out an entire season while he's healthy to play.

Business wise it makes all the sense in the world for the Knicks but at the same time I could see Noah getting frustrated and taking it to the NBPA, I'm not sure about the legality part of it but I'm sure there's a case to be made for him to at least be allowed to be with the team and I doubt the Knicks are even interested in that though.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#70 » by Oscirus » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:43 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
knicksh20b wrote:I'm totally okay with this. Sunk cost that shouldn't be sunker.

It's a bad choice. This commits us to next years FA. This means we are more likely to over-pay for 2nd rate talent. If we know that we are going to get one of Durant, Kyrie, Butler for sure, then w/e. We don't know that though..

It commits us to nothing and aids us in rebuilding. Stretching Noah just opens up a spot for another young player this year. Missing out on a max player doesn't necessarily force us to do anything next year.
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#71 » by cuyankees » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:44 am

damedash09 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Great tweet and something to really chew on here. We, fans, don’t know how Noah is behind closed doors now and Pills must think Noah is such a cancer to stretch him now bc the timing makes 0 sense.
cuyankees
Veteran

Post#72 » by cuyankees » Thu Aug 9, 2018 2:51 am

Spree2Houston wrote:
Greenie wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:
Then who cares. We already got the max slot set.

No we don’t

Yes we do. There's countless articles on the internet (use google if u need help) that show the cap breakdown if we stretch Noah. It isn't 32 milion but it'll be close to 30 million. Before you mention Kyrie penny pinching over 2 million, just remember KD signed with the Warriors for 2-year 53 million, a shade over 25 million per year while OKC could've offered 33 million. Lebron left money on the table when he came to Miami, Lamarcus Alridge left money on the table when we went to the Spurs, and even Kawhi Leonard now. Those are the most recent examples. There's PLENTY of examples I can give. But those are stars leaving money on the table to go to the organization that they desired. It'll all depend on how KP looks next season and how our young guys develop. If they look as good as we think they can be, then Kyrie will come here. Our young core with Kyrie is Top 3 in the east. So it isn't like he's leaving money on the table for a potentially bad team.

Kyrie gave up the Super-max when he forced his way out of Cleveland as well. That's another 20-30 million. Do you really think he's going to penny pinch over 2 million dollars to go the Location where he really wants to go to ??? If you really believe that then you're crazy.

Your post doesn’t make sense bud.

1. If KP takes the floor next season, Knicks have given him his max extension.
2. With a max extension, Knicks will have ~23mn in space.
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#73 » by 2010 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:03 am

QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
FatboyRealPetty wrote:so.. like would this move look completely idiotic if we dont even get our max guys or? i dont know how this stuff works

From mgmt's perspective, this move only results in a W if its the first move towards making room for a max slot. Which means we still have to find takers for Lee + Lance and/or THJr.....if we don't then the move proves to be unnecessary and senseless. I already believe that it is but whatever.....more mins for Money Makin Mitch Image Image

We don't have to find a taker for Lance. Only $1 million of his $7.6 million salary for 2019 is guaranteed as long as we waive him before 1/10/20.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
DLTGWH
Sixth Man
And1: 670

Post#74 » by DLTGWH » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:09 am

damedash09 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Stupid ass tweet with this “mentor” nonsense. Players play and coaches coach. Noah can kick rocks. Dude sucks at basketball.
TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 33,266

Post#75 » by TheGreenArrow » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:25 am

Just when i started to have faith in perry/mills they go and do this......

Sigh....
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
QBoro KnicksFan
Junior
And1: 432

Post#76 » by QBoro KnicksFan » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:34 am

2010 wrote:
QBoro KnicksFan wrote:

From mgmt's perspective, this move only results in a W if its the first move towards making room for a max slot. Which means we still have to find takers for Lee + Lance and/or THJr.....if we don't then the move proves to be unnecessary and senseless. I already believe that it is but whatever.....more mins for Money Makin Mitch Image Image

We don't have to find a taker for Lance. Only $1 million of his $7.6 million salary for 2019 is guaranteed as long as we waive him before 1/10/20.

So Lee and/or THJr then

I don't believe THJr's contract is as horrendous as some ppl on here make it out to be but it is a bad deal that hampers our cap flexibility - unless we taking on an equally bad deal that runs past this upcoming season (which defeats the purpose of trying to clear cap space anyway) or attaching a member of our young core and/or draft pick(s) I don't see us moving him

Lee theoretically shouldn't be that difficult to move yet hes still here so...

Unless we move one of these two dont we stilll come up short of a max slot?

The decision to waive Noah this offseason cant be strictly financial b/c financially speaking it doesn't make much sense. I mean damn was he that much of a locker room cancer they couldn't stomach another season with him?
NYF13
Senior
And1: 297

Post#77 » by NYF13 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:34 am

Can you restructure deals in NBA? So may be his 37.8 million deal could be like 25 mil in the 1st and then the remaining in the 2nd. And then stretch him after sept 1st so the 2nd year salary gets stretched over the 3 yrs span? 8-)
In short, all I am saying is RJ-Brunson-Grimes-Quickley-Randle are the untouchables moving forward.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Post#78 » by seren » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:35 am

As usual very uninspired move by the front court. Compare this move to say Brooklyn getting rid of Mozgov's contract or OKC getting a cheaper player instead of dead cap space in Melo deal.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#79 » by Greenie » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:48 am

cuyankees wrote:
Spree2Houston wrote:
Greenie wrote:No we don’t

Yes we do. There's countless articles on the internet (use google if u need help) that show the cap breakdown if we stretch Noah. It isn't 32 milion but it'll be close to 30 million. Before you mention Kyrie penny pinching over 2 million, just remember KD signed with the Warriors for 2-year 53 million, a shade over 25 million per year while OKC could've offered 33 million. Lebron left money on the table when he came to Miami, Lamarcus Alridge left money on the table when we went to the Spurs, and even Kawhi Leonard now. Those are the most recent examples. There's PLENTY of examples I can give. But those are stars leaving money on the table to go to the organization that they desired. It'll all depend on how KP looks next season and how our young guys develop. If they look as good as we think they can be, then Kyrie will come here. Our young core with Kyrie is Top 3 in the east. So it isn't like he's leaving money on the table for a potentially bad team.

Kyrie gave up the Super-max when he forced his way out of Cleveland as well. That's another 20-30 million. Do you really think he's going to penny pinch over 2 million dollars to go the Location where he really wants to go to ??? If you really believe that then you're crazy.

Your post doesn’t make sense bud.

1. If KP takes the floor next season, Knicks have given him his max extension.
2. With a max extension, Knicks will have ~23mn in space.

Also fans need to stop thinking we’re the Warriors. We’re not a good team. Players take cuts to be on good teams.

KD went to the WARRIORS
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#80 » by 2010 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 3:55 am

QBoro KnicksFan wrote:
2010 wrote:
QBoro KnicksFan wrote:

So Lee and/or THJr then

I don't believe THJr's contract is as horrendous as some ppl on here make it out to be but it is a bad deal that hampers our cap flexibility - unless we taking on an equally bad deal that runs past this upcoming season (which defeats the purpose of trying to clear cap space anyway) or attaching a member of our young core and/or draft pick(s) I don't see us moving him

Lee theoretically shouldn't be that difficult to move yet hes still here so...

Unless we move one of these two dont we stilll come up short of a max slot?

The decision to waive Noah this offseason cant be strictly financial b/c financially speaking it doesn't make much sense. I mean damn was he that much of a locker room cancer they couldn't stomach another season with him?

I am of the belief we need to move one of Hardaway Jr. or Lee to be able to have enough space to sign a max player. And that's assuming we are not extending KP this season, and instead extending him AFTER signing our 2019 free agent(s).

However K-DOT has claimed we can have enough space for a max contract without trading Hardaway Jr. or Lee if we renounce everyone except KP and if we don't get a top 3 pick. However, I am not giving this scenario much merit considering I know we won't go thay route even if we could.

If we stretch Noah and trade both Hardaway Jr. and Lee we can open enough space for two maxes if we renounce all our free agents (Mudiay, Hezonja, Vonleh, Kanter, Baker) and waive Thomas.

This is the core we'd be left with:

PG: Irving | Burke
SG: Butler | Ntilikina
SF: Knox | 2019 1st (wing)
PF: Porzingis |
C: Robinson |

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter

Return to New York Knicks