ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Williamsburg Exodus

Moderators: moocow007, magnumt, King of Canada, Capn'O, mpharris36, NoLayupRule, Thugger HBC, Deeeez Knicks, j4remi, K-DOT, Thorn, GONYK, Jeff Van Gully, mrpoetryNmotion

User avatar
Blockwatcher
Analyst
Posts: 3,387
And1: 1,550
Joined: Jan 23, 2014
Location: In the tank
 

OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#1 » by Blockwatcher » Thu Aug 9, 2018 7:28 pm

https://nypost.com/2018/08/08/hipsters-flee-williamsburg-as-l-train-shutdown-approaches/


This kinda hits home to me as I grew up in Williamsburg / Greenpoint. My grandmother is still in a building paying $125 a month on the southside. Whatchu think about this? Anybody gunna take advantage of these amazing rent deals?
1 John 2 : 15-17
User avatar
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
Posts: 18,772
And1: 4,494
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Location: NYC
Contact:
       

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#2 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Aug 9, 2018 7:36 pm

I remember balking at a place for $700/month for a nice, renovated large 1 bedroom in 1997 off Lorimer stop. Why? Because the L-ame train ALWAYS broke down. :lol:

Well the article says rent is slipping back down to 2015 prices, which means it's gone from $2800 per month to just $2500 per month.

I highly DOUBT it'll drop to $1500/month because there has been soooooooooooo much money sunk into that area. Not just condos but redevelopment of the water front area.

In the next 10 yrs, you're going to see a mass exodus in general because the rents are that where only a couple with NO KIDS can afford to live within 45 min of Manhattan.
User avatar
magnumt
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 47,387
And1: 12,827
Joined: Jan 27, 2004
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!
Contact:
         

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#3 » by magnumt » Thu Aug 9, 2018 7:53 pm

Blockwatcher wrote:https://nypost.com/2018/08/08/hipsters-flee-williamsburg-as-l-train-shutdown-approaches/


This kinda hits home to me as I grew up in Williamsburg / Greenpoint. My grandmother is still in a building paying $125 a month on the southside. Whatchu think about this? Anybody gunna take advantage of these amazing rent deals?


Once they fix the route fully they'll be back. The area is actually very vital to Manhattan.

Other areas of Brooklyn and Queens will continue to improve to because the reality is, Manhattan residential is fanning out to the other Burroughs as renting over owning trends combined with lack of space continue to skyrocket prices in Manhattan.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
Kemba Walker / Ish Smith / Felton
Eric Gordon / Dudley / Trier
Thabo Sefolosha / Dotson / Kornet
Gordon Hayward / Alex Len / Frye
Marc Gasol / Boban Marj. / Noah


Follow Elves on Twitter ---> magnumt6
User avatar
DE FENSE
RealGM
Posts: 14,401
And1: 2,163
Joined: Aug 22, 2006
Location: Brooklyn
   

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#4 » by DE FENSE » Thu Aug 9, 2018 7:56 pm

Kids love to hate on the G but soon they're gonna be slurping the G all the way to Court Square
User avatar
magnumt
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 47,387
And1: 12,827
Joined: Jan 27, 2004
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!
Contact:
         

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#5 » by magnumt » Thu Aug 9, 2018 7:59 pm

DE FENSE wrote:Kids love to hate on the G but soon they're gonna be slurping the G all the way to Court Square


A & C will probably get even more overloaded now to.

Busses near their as well, as people try to make connections.

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
Kemba Walker / Ish Smith / Felton
Eric Gordon / Dudley / Trier
Thabo Sefolosha / Dotson / Kornet
Gordon Hayward / Alex Len / Frye
Marc Gasol / Boban Marj. / Noah


Follow Elves on Twitter ---> magnumt6
User avatar
Blockwatcher
Analyst
Posts: 3,387
And1: 1,550
Joined: Jan 23, 2014
Location: In the tank
 

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#6 » by Blockwatcher » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:00 pm

magnumt wrote:
Blockwatcher wrote:https://nypost.com/2018/08/08/hipsters-flee-williamsburg-as-l-train-shutdown-approaches/


This kinda hits home to me as I grew up in Williamsburg / Greenpoint. My grandmother is still in a building paying $125 a month on the southside. Whatchu think about this? Anybody gunna take advantage of these amazing rent deals?


Once they fix the route fully they'll be back. The area is actually very vital to Manhattan.

Other areas of Brooklyn and Queens will continue to improve to because the reality is, Manhattan residential is fanning out to the other Burroughs as renting over owning trends combined with lack of space continue to skyrocket prices in Manhattan.

--Mags :beer:


5 years ago I went to the Crabhouse in LIC when my father came up from Florida and 1st met his grandson. That neighborhood is the Williamsburg of Queens
1 John 2 : 15-17
User avatar
magnumt
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 47,387
And1: 12,827
Joined: Jan 27, 2004
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!
Contact:
         

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#7 » by magnumt » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:06 pm

Blockwatcher wrote:
magnumt wrote:
Blockwatcher wrote:https://nypost.com/2018/08/08/hipsters-flee-williamsburg-as-l-train-shutdown-approaches/

This kinda hits home to me as I grew up in Williamsburg / Greenpoint. My grandmother is still in a building paying $125 a month on the southside. Whatchu think about this? Anybody gunna take advantage of these amazing rent deals?


Once they fix the route fully they'll be back. The area is actually very vital to Manhattan.

Other areas of Brooklyn and Queens will continue to improve to because the reality is, Manhattan residential is fanning out to the other Burroughs as renting over owning trends combined with lack of space continue to skyrocket prices in Manhattan.

--Mags :beer:


5 years ago I went to the Crabhouse in LIC when my father came up from Florida and 1st met his grandson. That neighborhood is the Williamsburg of Queens


Yeah, it was the first hipster haven.

One thing I really loved about LIC's transformation from what it used to be was the architecture & designs.

Williamsburg will likely fair better than LIC tho because of the aforementioned proximity to Manhattan commutes.

Everyone HATES the 7 tho, so that also worked against LIC. :lol:

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
Kemba Walker / Ish Smith / Felton
Eric Gordon / Dudley / Trier
Thabo Sefolosha / Dotson / Kornet
Gordon Hayward / Alex Len / Frye
Marc Gasol / Boban Marj. / Noah


Follow Elves on Twitter ---> magnumt6
User avatar
HarthorneWingo
Knicks Forum Grandpa's Law
Posts: 48,520
And1: 18,377
Joined: May 16, 2005
   

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#8 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 9, 2018 8:36 pm

How will folks there get in and out of Manhattan now?
Image
Polk377
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,793
And1: 2,413
Joined: Apr 19, 2002
Location: Medford, NY
         

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#9 » by Polk377 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:19 am

Everything is better on Long Island..... :D
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,472
And1: 918
Joined: Feb 22, 2016

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#10 » by PeoplesChamp » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:55 am

DE FENSE wrote:Kids love to hate on the G but soon they're gonna be slurping the G all the way to Court Square


Might be the worst, slowest train in the whole system. Lol
User avatar
K P 6
RealGM
Posts: 41,934
And1: 16,502
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Getting over screens with Gusto.
Contact:
 

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#11 » by K P 6 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:15 pm

What about Canarsie folks? It’s the only train in the area.
Image
Ntilikina Gang. Porzinigis Army. Mikal/KNOX MOB.
amit wrote:Frank prime will be like 10 ppg. Hes not that kind of PG and we knew it since he got drafted. Thats why scorers players around frank will be the bast for him
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,472
And1: 918
Joined: Feb 22, 2016

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#12 » by PeoplesChamp » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 pm

K P 6 wrote:What about Canarsie folks? It’s the only train in the area.


They're ****
User avatar
K P 6
RealGM
Posts: 41,934
And1: 16,502
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Getting over screens with Gusto.
Contact:
 

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#13 » by K P 6 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:45 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
K P 6 wrote:What about Canarsie folks? It’s the only train in the area.


They're ****

Lmao! I take a dollar van after i park by my sons day care to Eastern parkway and Utica. Its the only way. Or take the bus to flatbush junction.
Image
Ntilikina Gang. Porzinigis Army. Mikal/KNOX MOB.
amit wrote:Frank prime will be like 10 ppg. Hes not that kind of PG and we knew it since he got drafted. Thats why scorers players around frank will be the bast for him
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 15,895
And1: 9,040
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
       

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#14 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:00 pm

magnumt wrote:
Blockwatcher wrote:
magnumt wrote:
Once they fix the route fully they'll be back. The area is actually very vital to Manhattan.

Other areas of Brooklyn and Queens will continue to improve to because the reality is, Manhattan residential is fanning out to the other Burroughs as renting over owning trends combined with lack of space continue to skyrocket prices in Manhattan.

--Mags :beer:


5 years ago I went to the Crabhouse in LIC when my father came up from Florida and 1st met his grandson. That neighborhood is the Williamsburg of Queens


Yeah, it was the first hipster haven.

One thing I really loved about LIC's transformation from what it used to be was the architecture & designs.

Williamsburg will likely fair better than LIC tho because of the aforementioned proximity to Manhattan commutes.

Everyone HATES the 7 tho, so that also worked against LIC. :lol:

--Mags :beer:


hatred for the 7 train is a big part of why jackson heights isn't as popping as it should be. great neighborhood. fun, vibrant culture. not too far out. but you have to live and die by the 7 train, which people would rather not do.
que sera sera
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 15,895
And1: 9,040
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
       

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#15 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:04 pm

Polk377 wrote:Everything is better on Long Island..... :D


i'm the topic of gossip in syosset.
que sera sera
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 15,895
And1: 9,040
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
       

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#16 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:05 pm

K P 6 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
K P 6 wrote:What about Canarsie folks? It’s the only train in the area.


They're ****

Lmao! I take a dollar van after i park by my sons day care to Eastern parkway and Utica. Its the only way. Or take the bus to flatbush junction.


or get a ride to the broadway junction stop. ugh.
que sera sera
cuyankees
Rookie
Posts: 1,192
And1: 441
Joined: Feb 15, 2014

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#17 » by cuyankees » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:05 pm

K P 6 wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:
K P 6 wrote:What about Canarsie folks? It’s the only train in the area.


They're ****

Lmao! I take a dollar van after i park by my sons day care to Eastern parkway and Utica. Its the only way. Or take the bus to flatbush junction.

“Utica, Utica”
“Utica, Utica”
“Utica, Utica”

+ that call will be forever in my head after witnessing $1 van for 1st time.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 15,895
And1: 9,040
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
       

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#18 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:08 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
K P 6 wrote:What about Canarsie folks? It’s the only train in the area.


They're ****


like always. forgetten land.
que sera sera
Illightinati
Senior
Posts: 501
And1: 411
Joined: Apr 20, 2018
   

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#19 » by Illightinati » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:17 pm

People moving to Jamaica, when the E/F/J f'd up too... City gonna need air trains everywhere soon.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 15,895
And1: 9,040
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
       

Re: OT: Williamsburg Exodus 

Post#20 » by Jeff Van Gully » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:30 pm

Illightinati wrote:People moving to Jamaica, when the E/F/J f'd up too... City gonna need air trains everywhere soon.


i went to st. john's and commuted from harlem every day like an idiot.

where is there left to move to in jamaica? all the houses and apartment buildings look full. they building more there? i remember the bus from kew gardens was already completely untenable. this is back in the damn 90s.
que sera sera

Return to New York Knicks