ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: G-League to offer "One-and-Done" Path

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,029

OT: G-League to offer "One-and-Done" Path 

Post#1 » by GONYK » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:40 pm

ESPN.com: G League to offer $125K option to 1-and-done.
https://www-espn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25015812/g-league-offer-professional-path-elite-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa?platform=amp

As part of a newly formed professional path starting in the summer of 2019, the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft.

The G League will target recent or would-be high school graduates who otherwise would have likely spent just one season playing college basketball, enticing them not only with a six-figure salary but also the opportunity to benefit from NBA infrastructure, as well as a bevy of off-court development programs "geared towards facilitating and accelerating their transition to the pro game," league president Malcolm Turner told ESPN.

Without the restrictions of the NCAA's amateurism rules, players will also be free to hire agents, profit off their likeness and pursue marketing deals from sneaker companies and the like, which could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in endorsement opportunities to top prospects.

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,249

Re: OT: G-League to offer 

Post#2 » by DOT » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:42 pm

I wonder how many people will take that over the exposure/hype that comes with playing on say Duke or Kentucky
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#3 » by cuyankees » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:43 pm

Say night, night to current college basketball and hello to old school college basketball and more parity.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,280

Post#4 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:44 pm

GONYK wrote:ESPN.com: G League to offer $125K option to 1-and-done.
https://www-espn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25015812/g-league-offer-professional-path-elite-prospects-not-wanting-go-one-done-route-ncaa?platform=amp

As part of a newly formed professional path starting in the summer of 2019, the G League will offer "Select Contracts" worth $125,000 to elite prospects who are at least 18 years old but not yet eligible for the NBA draft.

The G League will target recent or would-be high school graduates who otherwise would have likely spent just one season playing college basketball, enticing them not only with a six-figure salary but also the opportunity to benefit from NBA infrastructure, as well as a bevy of off-court development programs "geared towards facilitating and accelerating their transition to the pro game," league president Malcolm Turner told ESPN.

Without the restrictions of the NCAA's amateurism rules, players will also be free to hire agents, profit off their likeness and pursue marketing deals from sneaker companies and the like, which could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in endorsement opportunities to top prospects.

It's big in and of itself, but that bolded part in this day and age makes it really really interesting and significant.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#5 » by Phish Tank » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:45 pm

i see mid-level prospects taking this offer. Don't see the Kentucky recruits accepting this when they already get the private jets and perks of being in Kentucky
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#6 » by cuyankees » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:45 pm

K-DOT wrote:I wonder how many people will take that over the exposure/hype that comes with playing on say Duke or Kentucky

With social media these days, 1 year in college is pointless, Zion being a great example. Dude had a following in high school and imagine he'd take the 125k over college any day.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,029

Post#7 » by GONYK » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Phish Tank wrote:i see mid-level prospects taking this offer. Don't see the Kentucky recruits accepting this when they already get the private jets and perks of being in Kentucky

You have to be deemed "elite" to take advantage of this
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,340

Post#8 » by Phish Tank » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:48 pm

GONYK wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:i see mid-level prospects taking this offer. Don't see the Kentucky recruits accepting this when they already get the private jets and perks of being in Kentucky

then I can't see the 5-Star Kentucky recruits accepting this
Toranaga
Rookie
And1: 845

Re: OT: G-League to offer "One-and-Done" Path 

Post#9 » by Toranaga » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:03 pm

I also have a hard time seeing the true elite going this route, but good on the NBA for at least giving these kids more options. Long overdue.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,850

Post#10 » by cgf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:07 pm

I love this. It might take a while for the truly elite guys to consider not going the college route, but I love seeing the NBA finally starting to get properly involved with youth development.

I'm not saying the NBA needs to go full French or German FA with their nationally organized & funded regional academies, but the way young talent is developed in NA sports has always made no sense to me.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,913

Post#11 » by god shammgod » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:08 pm

it will happen slowly but eventually this will kill college ball. most of these kids are not rich and have no real interest in college. once a few do it and it doesn't hurt their place in the draft, it's over and they'll all go.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,072

Post#12 » by blueNorange » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:09 pm

Phish Tank wrote:
GONYK wrote:

then I can't see the 5-Star Kentucky recruits accepting this

well then i guess they won't make 125k.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,913

Post#13 » by god shammgod » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:17 pm

the ncaa must be really mad at this news because this is an attempt to completely disrupt their business model. and i couldn't be more thrilled if they're successful. they've taken advantage of these kids for long enough.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,949

Post#14 » by Capn'O » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:26 pm

god shammgod wrote:it will happen slowly but eventually this will kill college ball. most of these kids are not rich and have no real interest in college. once a few do it and it doesn't hurt their place in the draft, it's over and they'll all go.

Bingo. There will be some pioneers. They will succeed. The G-League will get exposure in its own right. And the sham (beg pardon) of amateur athletics will be over.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#15 » by IllmaticHandler » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:31 pm

And still have to eat ramen noodles and borrow money.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,443

Post#16 » by Fat Kat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,280

Post#17 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:43 pm

10 years from now it'll all be intramural scholarships.

:-)
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,949

Post#18 » by Capn'O » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:44 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

How does that work? Could they then be picked up by any NBA team once they hit the age requirement and forego the draft process entirely? Or do they have to sit around in the G-League for a year and then get drafted?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,249

Post#19 » by DOT » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

How does that work? Could they then be picked up by any NBA team once they hit the age requirement and forego the draft process entirely? Or do they have to sit around in the G-League for a year and then get drafted?

Still have to go through the draft, just they go to the G League for a year instead of college
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#20 » by WargamesX » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

If its the latter why would teams bother to invest in the player once they know they won't be able to draft them?
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7

Return to New York Knicks