ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: G-League to offer "One-and-Done" Path

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,887

Re: OT: G-League to offer "One-and-Done" Path 

Post#21 » by cgf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:51 pm

Capn'O wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

How does that work? Could they then be picked up by any NBA team once they hit the age requirement and forego the draft process entirely? Or do they have to sit around in the G-League for a year and then get drafted?

Currently they still have to go through the draft, they can just make some cash while playing in the GL.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,978

Post#22 » by Capn'O » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:54 pm

PorzinGAWD wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

How does that work? Could they then be picked up by any NBA team once they hit the age requirement and forego the draft process entirely? Or do they have to sit around in the G-League for a year and then get drafted?

If its the latter why would teams bother to invest in the player once they know they won't be able to draft them?

I'm assuming there will be exposure deals coming for the G-League if top recruits are coming.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#23 » by cuyankees » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:04 pm

god shammgod wrote:it will happen slowly but eventually this will kill college ball. most of these kids are not rich and have no real interest in college. once a few do it and it doesn't hurt their place in the draft, it's over and they'll all go.

Foresee the same, the shoe companies and marketing opportunities will start pouring in so that G league salary will pale in comparison to the shoe deals that these guys will get.

Take Ayton for example, shoe companies would be drooling over guys like that and offer millions a year out the gate, think elite prospects will pass on college and $ in on their marketability immediately.

Regardless, smart play by NBA to sever its “relationship” w NCAA and eliminate all the BS that goes on and see w this FBI investigation. $ will go directly into the pockets of players who deserve it rather than the coaches who benefit from the 1 n done players. Would love to see NFL follow some similar model and really bring NCAA back to the the student-athlete roots.
BKAY
Analyst
And1: 1,396

Post#24 » by BKAY » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Dont be suprised when this takes off. I can see alot of players taking this deal after a couple years of it being in place. We have 2 guys on our roster who would have presumably been eligible and taken this route (Mitch and Mudiay). Something tells me Mudiay would have been far better off had this been available.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,314

Post#25 » by Clyde Frazier » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:34 pm

This is huge news. At $125K we're finally getting into some real money to attract players over the antiquated NCAA system. Not to mention endorsement deals. Even if they aren't large scale, they'll be there for the taking.

We're also very close every NBA team having their own G league team (27 G league teams currently). That will also help solidify it as a true minor league.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,859

Re: OT: G-League to offer 

Post#26 » by 8516knicks » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:03 pm

Phish Tank wrote:i see mid-level prospects taking this offer. Don't see the Kentucky recruits accepting this when they already get the private jets and perks of being in Kentucky

Plus maybe they make more? :o
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,634

Post#27 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Capn'O wrote:
god shammgod wrote:it will happen slowly but eventually this will kill college ball. most of these kids are not rich and have no real interest in college. once a few do it and it doesn't hurt their place in the draft, it's over and they'll all go.

Bingo. There will be some pioneers. They will succeed. The G-League will get exposure in its own right. And the sham (beg pardon) of amateur athletics will be over.

That means that guys like me will then be able to play at places like Boston College? Damn, I missed it only by about a century.
Free Palestine
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#28 » by nykballa2k4 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:15 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:This is huge news. At $125K we're finally getting into some real money to attract players over the antiquated NCAA system. Not to mention endorsement deals. Even if they aren't large scale, they'll be there for the taking.

We're also very close every NBA team having their own G league team (27 G league teams currently). That will also help solidify it as a true minor league.

As someone said earlier, I have concerns that it will muddy the waters a bit. It could be in a late lotto teams best interest to hide a player a bit. There is an inherent conflict of interest unless they make some expansion teams that are unaffiliated. Perhaps a "highschool allstars"
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#29 » by Sark » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:50 pm

At least Mudiay can still have a career playing basketball.
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#30 » by kane » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:31 am

Could hurt players draft stock, since they will be making like triple what a avg g-league player makes they will come after them hard and the competition is going to be a hell of a lot better then in the ncaa... not going to that that shine
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#31 » by chrbal » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:42 am

Is it wrong that I read this as teams like Kentucky can get 8 players for only $1 million total
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#32 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:58 am

About damn time. I think this will be better for NCAA in the long run too.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Re: OT: G-League to offer 

Post#33 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:00 am

K-DOT wrote:I wonder how many people will take that over the exposure/hype that comes with playing on say Duke or Kentucky

I think quite a few will take it. The money while not a completely life altering amount like an NBA salary would be is still a considerable factor. We hear so many stories about how poor some of these guys really are. Schools not Duke or Kentucky are definitely not gonna get as many of these one and dones.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#34 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:07 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:This is huge news. At $125K we're finally getting into some real money to attract players over the antiquated NCAA system. Not to mention endorsement deals. Even if they aren't large scale, they'll be there for the taking.

As someone said earlier, I have concerns that it will muddy the waters a bit. It could be in a late lotto teams best interest to hide a player a bit. There is an inherent conflict of interest unless they make some expansion teams that are unaffiliated. Perhaps a "highschool allstars"

I'm sure there'll be some other structure to this. We are just getting a tidbit on how it's going to work.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#35 » by Knicksfan20 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:43 am

Stupid.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Post#36 » by Polk377 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:43 pm

I like it for the players, NCAA, NBA and G-League. Players get to make some clean money while working on their games against better competition. NCAA programs get to build and sustain teams. NBA gets to evaluate these players closer. G-League will be more must see with top level prospects on their rosters.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,077

Post#37 » by blueNorange » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:20 pm

fyi top recruits still make money, there's loopholes so this isn't as enticing as it sounds.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#38 » by kane » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:17 pm

blueNorange wrote:fyi top recruits still make money, there's loopholes so this isn't as enticing as it sounds.

I didn’t know sliding a duffel bag full of cash under the table was called a “loop hole” :lol:
KnickLeDime
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#39 » by KnickLeDime » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:03 pm

Who and how will be in charge of assessing who's "elite" and who's not?

Without knowing the details of this, on the surface I think this will be a boon to G-League, NBA and NCAA.
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#40 » by SmoothLefty21 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Glad to see this, the NBA remains the most innovative league in this country by a huge margin. The NCAA can burn in hell.

A fair amount of top prospects will go this route. Joke all you want about the illicit benefits they receive in college but making $125k and being able to openly spend it is nothing to sneeze at. Also, they don't have to deal with the farce of going to class, even if it's only the fall semester and 101 classes they can BS their way through. School is a waste of time for elite prospects. They'll play more games, have more time to practice, start building relationships in the NBA universe, get better coaching/training, start playing the NBA-style game instead of the putrid mess that is college basketball. I expect the NBA to market these kids too and get their G-League games on TV. This is great news for all parties save the NCAA, and as I said before they can burn in the hottest corner of hell.

Return to New York Knicks