ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: G-League to offer "One-and-Done" Path

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Re: OT: G-League to offer "One-and-Done" Path 

Post#41 » by SmoothLefty21 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:55 pm

KnickLeDime wrote:Who and how will be in charge of assessing who's "elite" and who's not?

Without knowing the details of this, on the surface I think this will be a boon to G-League, NBA and NCAA.

That's easy to figure out. The NBA can do their own HS rankings like Rivals, Scout, or ESPN and only invite the Top 10 or whatever number they deem necessary.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,894

Post#42 » by nykballa2k4 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:54 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
nykballa2k4 wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:This is huge news. At $125K we're finally getting into some real money to attract players over the antiquated NCAA system. Not to mention endorsement deals. Even if they aren't large scale, they'll be there for the taking.

We're also very close every NBA team having their own G league team (27 G league teams currently). That will also help solidify it as a true minor league.

As someone said earlier, I have concerns that it will muddy the waters a bit. It could be in a late lotto teams best interest to hide a player a bit. There is an inherent conflict of interest unless they make some expansion teams that are unaffiliated. Perhaps a "highschool allstars"

I'm sure there'll be some other structure to this. We are just getting a tidbit on how it's going to work.

I am curious to see what they will do.

NBA is very different from MLB in terms of talent development. Baseball (American) has a comprehensive minor league system and you can draft kids at 16 who are all entirely not ready for professional play. The high bust potential is a plus for their system because it prevents a team from having a complete super team coming up to the majors together. In basketball, if you allow drafting players at any age and they can stash them on a minor league affiliate (this is a long term possibility, drafting AAU talent and providing home-school education that follows the student athlete) would lead to a team being terrible, drafting a LeBron (who was a known 1st overall at 16 years) not using that player, and still having a top 3 for 2 more years (let's say 18 is the league min age).
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
Isiahthomass
Bench Warmer
And1: 830

Post#43 » by Isiahthomass » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:26 pm

They need to just get rid of the one and done rule. There's no reason why a guy shouldn't be able to feed his family if and when he wants to and is capable of doing so. Such blatant BS by the NCAA and the NBA.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#44 » by Greenie » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:54 pm

Imma leave this here
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#45 » by fatalogic » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:00 pm

I just cant wait for an actual NBA farm system. It will be a long time but they are making small steps every year.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,363

Post#46 » by Fat Kat » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®

Return to New York Knicks